Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do you feel a out providers promising "unlimited" HD, CPU and RAM? - Page 6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How do you feel a out providers promising "unlimited" HD, CPU and RAM?

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited December 2017

@Yura said:
    "Asshole" and "idiot" is one thing, but building rather bizarre theories on autism, OCD and other medical disorders, then use such labels to insult someone you don't like is a harmful behaviour which doesn't help anyone and stigmatize real people suffering from these chronic illnesses.

How is anything I've said in this thread harmful? I repeatedly asked that individual to qualify their statement but they could only answer with theory that directly contradicted my reality. The culmination of which was their admission that they think the difference between a file storage service and a web hosting service is about buzzwords. So yes I called them unintelligent.

The autism and OCD stuff you're talking about was NOT insulting anyone and now you're being the asshole for combining the two discussions for the sole purpose of painting me in a certain light. That was an entirely separate discussion. I'm pretty sure it isn't even the same thread. Wasn't that part of the CPU discussion?

I ask you to be considerate and choose your words wisely. Your freedom of expression and having an opinion of people will not be limited if you will insult people without referring to life debilitating conditions.

Right there you see it, you're combining two different discussions to paint me in a certain light, as though they were part of the same train of thought. That's a very dick move. I wouldn't have done that to you.

• Happy unlimited new year to you.

Thanked by 2404error WSS

@404error said:

@jarland said:

They've been offering it without storage limits for years and have continued to not generate complaints: https://www.dreamhost.com/hosting/shared/

Might not say it there in the latest design iteration but they don't state a limit either, because they don't impose one and work to ensure that you have the space you want to use, as long as it's for web hosting.

So in short, they don't sell unlimited. Which is why they don't say it in their sales sheet.

@jarland said:

They are your antithesis. Unlimited can be a way to say "we do not impose limits" and that can be logically accurate within the definitions of the word, but you purposefully choose to interpret it as equivalent to the word "infinite" so that you can impose your moral values on the market and declare them morally bankrupt and scammers simply because that's the kind of person you've decided to be.

They're not even an example of a hosting that sells unlimited. They don't sell unlimited, they don't advertise as such, so your example is bogus.

The only one here tryng to interpret the word "unlimited" is you. You're the one that say stuff like "Unlimited can be a way to", not me.

Here is the definition. Again.

unlimited
    ʌnˈlɪmɪtɪd/
    adjective
    adjective: unlimited

1. not limited or restricted in terms of number, quantity, or extent.
      **"offshore reserves of gas and oil are not unlimited"
      synonyms:
      inexhaustible, **limitless
      , illimitable, boundless, unbounded, immense, vast, great, extensive, immeasurable, incalculable, untold, unfailing, everlasting, infinite, endless, never-ending, bottomless, measureless, inestimable, cosmic

Stop interpreting the word and accusing other of doing it. The very definition is above.

They've been selling unlimited for years. They still do. You choose now to exclude them on some arbitrary detail because you need a way to dig yourself out of the fact that your theories are in direct contradiction with reality. Now you want to further limit the subset of unlimited providers to try to reimpose your morals again having been proven incorrect.

I'm sorry but there are many acceptable ways to interpret most words. Unlimited providers like Dreamhost can absolutely fit the first definition here:

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/unlimited

However, you purposefully choose the definitions that allow you to paint them as somehow evil because you just don't like it and if you don't like it then it must be evil and immoral, you can't just not prefer it. You must have a crusade or nothing.

But oh that's right, you've just now excluded Dreamhost because you realized your narrative was broken, so you moved the goal post over.

edited December 2017

@404error said:
    @jarland

With a quick, really just a sec, search I found Dreamhost customers complaining about storage limits.

Do you still want to challenge this? or will you admit that no one offers unlimited?

You found someone complaining about being unable to use Dreamhost their desired amount of storage for web hosting and they provided evidence of such? Sure, bring it forward. I already defined that goal post in the beginning, I'm not moving it now but asking for the same details I have been asking for.

• Don't you guys have something better to do? Like spending unlimited time with your friends and/or family on the last day of the year? Cheers & all the best for 2018!

Thanked by 1Shazan
    edited January 2018

Edited to remove as agreed.

• @jarland said:

They've been selling unlimited for years. They still do.

Not in their available plans (I don't see it, but please go ahead and share their unlimited offer, I'll even subscribe thru your aff link, if you have one), maybe they realized it was not right to sell something and then offer something else and stopped doing it?

@jarland said:
    You choose now to exclude them on some arbitrary detail because you need a way to dig yourself out of the fact that your theories are in direct contradiction with reality.

I what? Hell no! If anything they excluded themselves by not offering unlimited plan anymore. I don't see any unlimited offer in their website, do you?

@jarland said:
    Now you want to further limit the subset of unlimited providers to try to reimpose your morals again having been proven incorrect.

I don't even know what you're on about here.

@jarland said:
    I'm sorry but there are many acceptable ways to interpret most words. Unlimited providers like Dreamhost can absolutely fit the first definition here:

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/unlimited

Have you actually read the link you citting?
    If you had, you would have seen this;
    unlimited

[uhn-lim-i-tid]
    Spell Syllables
    Synonyms
    Examples
    Word Origin
    See more synonyms on Thesaurus.com

adjective
    not limited; unrestricted; unconfined:
    unlimited trade.

boundless; infinite; vast:
    the unlimited skies.
    without any qualification or exception; unconditional.

@jarland said:
    However, you purposefully choose the definitions that allow you to paint them as somehow evil because you just don't like it and if you don't like it then it must be evil and immoral, you can't just not prefer it. You must have a crusade or nothing.

Choose the definition? Is that a thing? I posted the definition, there's no "choosing" involved.

@jarland said:

But oh that's right, you've just now excluded Dreamhost because you realized your narrative was broken, so you moved the goal post over.

What's right is that Dreamhost doesn't sell unlimited HD plans. not any longer at least.
    What's right is that I did find people complaining about DreamHost Storage limits.
    What's right is that you choose a bad example and are now, again, trying to "interpret" the situation.

• netpioneernetpioneer Member
    edited December 2017

Word Origin and History for unlimited

mid-15c., from un- (1) "not" + past participle of limit (v.).
    Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper

Origin of limit

1325-75; Middle English lymyt < Latin līmit- (stem of līmes) boundary, path between fields

Law. to fix or assign definitely or specifically

• @jarland said:

@404error said:
    @jarland

With a quick, really just a sec, search I found Dreamhost customers complaining about storage limits.

Do you still want to challenge this? or will you admit that no one offers unlimited?

You found someone complaining about being unable to use Dreamhost their desired amount of storage for web hosting and they provided evidence of such? Sure, bring it forward. I already defined that goal post in the beginning, I'm not moving it now but asking for the same details I have been asking for.

I found multiple clients with the same complaint.
    What the heck is that request for proves even mean if not just you wanting to discredit people while defending something that is impossible to provide. Its funny.

I'll provide the link to the complaints as son as you're ready to admit you are dead wrong. But I don't think you're even able to, you seem too emotionally vested into this.

edited December 2017

404error said: Not in their available plans (I don't see it, but please go ahead and share their unlimited offer, I'll even subscribe thru your aff link, if you have one), maybe they realized it was not right to sell something and then offer something else and stopped doing it?

It says "Unlimited Websites" and provides no limits, had slightly different language in last design that ran for a very long time: https://web.archive.org/web/20160308234247/https://www.dreamhost.com/hosting/shared/

Well known as unlimited, word of mouth and all that jazz, they haven't changed anything but their design. They grew to their size well before doing that.

404error said: I what? Hell no! If anything they excluded themselves by not offering unlimited plan anymore. I don't see any unlimited offer in their website, do you?

Yes, their one single web hosting plan. It's as unlimited today as it was before, design change irrelevant.

404error said: Have you actually read the link you citting? If you had, you would have seen this; unlimited

[uhn-lim-i-tid] Spell Syllables Synonyms Examples Word Origin See more synonyms on Thesaurus.com

adjective 1. not limited; unrestricted; unconfined: unlimited trade. 2. boundless; infinite; vast: the unlimited skies. 3. without any qualification or exception; unconditional.

Do you understand how a dictionary works? These are separate, potential meanings for the word. They fit the first one. You don't have to fit all three. Again, you're choosing to pick the one that allows you to paint them as evil because that's who you are. It's not about what's logically right or wrong, this is a grey area. You can choose to interpret the word "unlimited" in more than one way and be logically and technically correct, but only one way allows you to paint them as evil and immoral liars, and so you must argue that it is the only one true definition.

• @Amitz said:
    Don't you guys have something better to do? Like spending unlimited time with your friends and/or family on the last day of the year? Cheers & all the best for 2018!

And miss the drama? no! :D

404error said: I found multiple clients with the same complaint. What the heck is that request for proves even mean if not just you wanting to discredit people while defending something that is impossible to provide. Its funny.

I'll provide the link to the complaints as son as you're ready to admit you are dead wrong. But I don't think you're even able to, you seem too emotionally vested into this.

Sure, if they were using the storage for web hosting only (it is a web hosting package/service purchased, this is not hidden or deceptive) and provided evidence of this (people lie constantly to cover their own asses, this market runs rampant with it), then I'll admit I'm wrong.

• ramnetramnet Member, Host Rep

Unlimited hosting can be fun.

I knew a guy that used to sign up for unlimited hosting just to find what the real limit was. See how much you can use before they kick you off, etc.

If I can be serious, not all unlimited hosting is created equal. There is a big difference between unlimited domains and unlimited disk storage.

If in doubt, avoid unlimited hosts. Most are doing it wrong and it won't be a good experience for you.

• ShazanShazan Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2018

@jarland said:

I thanked you too and I was indeed replying to your post in the meanwhile. My intention wasn't to drag your personal life into this discussion, then sorry. The point was just that I don't like insults and offenses inside technical discussions. I couldn't imagine that you could get fired or could cause this kind of issues, so I am going to edit my previous comment. I am not that kind of stubborn nor that young to not realize when I am wrong.

No need to edit your comments though, feel free to express your opinion.

• @jarland said:
    if they were using the storage for web hosting only (it is a web hosting package/service purchased, this is not hidden or deceptive)

I don't know if it was clear as they no longer market it so I don't know if they were clear about it. Till today I only saw one company being somewhat clear about the usage in their sales sheet. I doubt DH was one of them be cause of the OP I read.

@jarland said:
    and provided evidence of this (people lie constantly to cover their own asses, this market runs rampant with it), then I'll admit I'm wrong.

You know that whatever people put forward you can discard as "bogus" because there's really no way to have evidence unless oyu have access to their account.
    So you asking this, makes me think that you just want a way out.

@jarland said:
    sure

Awesome but I doubt it.
    here you go;
    https://discussion.dreamhost.com/t/beware-of-unlimited-storage/61082

The OP is detailed, old client, remained as a client and even blamed herself for not keeping up with DH policies.

TLDR: Unlimited doesn't exist, TOS were in place to limit.

@ramnet said:
    Unlimited hosting can be fun.

I knew a guy that used to sign up for unlimited hosting just to find what the real limit was. See how much you can use before they kick you off, etc.

If I can be serious, not all unlimited hosting is created equal. There is a big difference between unlimited domains and unlimited disk storage.

If in doubt, avoid unlimited hosts. Most are doing it wrong and it won't be a good experience for you.

Your friend by definition was abusing it, from the words you've provided at least. If it's for website hosting and he's just blasting the storage until someone notices and terminates, that's not identifying a problem with selling unlimited website hosting, that's a problem with being an ass ;)

edited December 2017

@404error said:

@jarland said:
    if they were using the storage for web hosting only (it is a web hosting package/service purchased, this is not hidden or deceptive)

I don't know if it was clear as they no longer market it so I don't know if they were clear about it. Till today I only saw one company being somewhat clear about the usage in their sales sheet. I doubt DH was one of them be cause of the OP I read.

@jarland said:
    and provided evidence of this (people lie constantly to cover their own asses, this market runs rampant with it), then I'll admit I'm wrong.

You know that whatever people put forward you can discard as "bogus" because there's really no way to have evidence unless oyu have access to their account.
    So you asking this, makes me think that you just want a way out.

@jarland said:
    sure

Awesome but I doubt it.
    here you go;
    https://discussion.dreamhost.com/t/beware-of-unlimited-storage/61082

The OP is detailed, old client, remained as a client and even blamed herself for not keeping up with DH policies.

TLDR: Unlimited doesn't exist, TOS were in place to limit.

Thanks, will look after lunch (still around just that breaks the casualness I'll have while at red lobster). I'm not looking for a way to avoid anything. I've been asking for evidence of that defined scenario from the beginning. You and another member here kept arguing theory instead of engaging me from this angle. It's your choice that you're just now trying to take me up on that on the fourth page of the thread.

• 404error404error Member
    edited December 2017

@jarland said:
    It says "Unlimited Websites" and provides no limits, had slightly different language in last design that ran for a very long time: https://web.archive.org/web/20160308234247/https://www.dreamhost.com/hosting/shared/

Unlimited sites is not the same as unlimited storage.
    Than ks for the archive link, I give it to them that they atleast had a link to their "unlimited policy" in their sales sheet. A rarity.

Which starts with "What do you mean "Unlimited"?"
    So in short, they want to redefine the meaning of unlimited. Yeah.. well, no.

@jarland said:

Yes, their one single web hosting plan. It's as unlimited today as it was before, design change irrelevant.

You can bet your arse that every change in their sales sheet is meaningful. The drop of the words "unlimited storage" is not innocent. (personally, I applaud them for doing that)

@jarland said:
    Do you understand how a dictionary works? These are separate, potential meanings for the word. They fit the first one. You don't have to fit all three. Again, you're choosing to pick the one that allows you to paint them as evil because that's who you are. It's not about what's logically right or wrong, this is a grey area. You can choose to interpret the word "unlimited" in more than one way and be logically and technically correct, but only one way allows you to paint them as evil and immoral liars, and so you must argue that it is the only one true definition.

Do you? no, you don't choose how to interpret the definition of a word.
    So why don't you pint point in your citation that part you believe supports that the word unlimited, actually means limited?

• ricardoricardo Member
    edited December 2017

jarland said: If it's for website hosting and he's just blasting the storage until someone notices and terminates

TBF though, any provider of decent size is going to have checks and balances. It's not like some tech rolls out of bed and notices at 9am that someone filled the drive with 5TB of their own stuff, there's going to be an internal limit, not that it has to be a hard limit but there will be one and most likely automated.

Not that I'm particularly picky about the use of the word unlimited...

• @jarland said:
    Thanks, will look after lunch. I'm not looking for a way to avoid anything. I've been asking for evidence of that defined scenario from the beginning. You and another member here kept arguing theory instead of engaging me from this angle. It's your choice that you're just now trying to take me up on that on the fourth page of the thread.

That's because its moots bro. We are arguing about Unlimited Storage not being Unlimited Storage.
    What we're saying is that the definition of "Unlimited" is not up for grabs.

But hey, have a good lunch
    .... and lay of redbull + beer :D

• This fucking thing is still going on?

Thanked by 2Darwin jar
    edited December 2017

@404error said:

Agreed :)

Unlimited - Not Limited

LIMIT

Law. to fix or assign definitely or specifically
    http://www.dictionary.com/browse/limit

To mark out; to define; to fix the extent of.
    TheLaw.com Law Dictionary & Black's Law Dictionary 2nd Ed.

Limit refers principally to the establishment of a maximum beyond which a person or thing cannot or may not go
    http://www.thefreedictionary.com/limits

countable noun [usually singular]
    A limit is the greatest amount, extent, or degree of something that is possible.

countable noun
    A limit of a particular kind is the largest or smallest amount of something such as time or money that is allowed because of a rule, law, or decision.

verb
    If you limit something, you prevent it from becoming greater than a particular amount or degree.

noun
    the largest quantity or amount allowed

SYNONYMY NOTE: limit implies the prescribing of a point in space, time, or extent, beyond which it is impossible or forbidden to go;
    https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/limit

A point or level beyond which something does not or may not extend or pass.

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/limit

Thanked by 1jar

@ricardo said:

jarland said: If it's for website hosting and he's just blasting the storage until someone notices and terminates

TBF though, any provider of decent size is going to have checks and balances. It's not like some tech rolls out of bed and notices at 9am that someone filled the drive with 5TB of their own stuff, there's going to be an internal limit, not that it has to be a hard limit but there will be one and most likely automated.

Not that I'm particularly picky about the use of the word unlimited...

It would seem logical but if you recall my previous job it was merely disk alerts on servers, human review by alert, add SAN if needed.

• @netpioneer said:

No offence, but that should have been clear (to everyone) before the thread even started (and was actually additionally addressed more than once) and should not require four pages of insults and immature poop-throwing behaviour - welcome to LET.

Thanked by 1Shazan

@bitswitch said:

@netpioneer said:

No offence, but that should have been clear (to everyone) before the thread even started (and was actually additionally addressed more than once) and should not require four pages of insults and immature poop-throwing behaviour - welcome to LET.

Yeah, if only someone had disputed the chosen interpretation of the word on the first page of the thread...

• @jarland Interesting you bumped this. I said nearly the same thing to their witty responses on my mock thread. Is there a way to make a thread unbumpable? That'd be a feature request for Vanilla I'd like to see. All of these 2012ish threads getting bumped by retards and bots twice a week is such a pain..

@404error said:

@jarland said:
    Thanks, will look after lunch. I'm not looking for a way to avoid anything. I've been asking for evidence of that defined scenario from the beginning. You and another member here kept arguing theory instead of engaging me from this angle. It's your choice that you're just now trying to take me up on that on the fourth page of the thread.

That's because its moots bro. We are arguing about Unlimited Storage not being Unlimited Storage.

But hey, have a good lunch
    .... and lay of redbull + beer :D

Update to that, will continue that line of discussion later. Elaina only let me sleep for 3 hours, red lobster took all I had, terribly in need of a nap even though I'll fight it as I sit here on my phone.

edited December 2017

@bitswitch said:
    No offence, but that should have been clear (to everyone) before the thread even started (and was actually additionally addressed more than once)

Yeah.

Unlimited == limit not defined

limitless == infinite

There is a very subtle difference. Unlimited is the opposite of limited. Limitless is the opposite of limit. Unlimited means that nobody has set a limit but that it is possible for someone to set a limit. So, for example, when your phone company gives you unlimited minutes, it still has the power to impose a limit. But, if someone asks you how many numbers there are in the universe, you can say "limitless".

https://www.quora.com/Is-there-a-linguistic-difference-between-unlimited-and-limitless

• ShazanShazan Member, Host Rep

Every company has its own model and marketing strategies. One model could work for some companies and the same could be unsustainable for others.

What I can see, from a provider point of view, is that the more resources you give, the harder becomes to keep them under control. Therefore you could make your customers unsatisfied but, if a company finds a way to make it work, then good for them.

Thanked by 1netpioneer
  • @WSS said:
    Is there a way to make a thread unbumpable?

Yes, by setting old threads to sink. That would require quite a bit of manual work though, but I suppose someone with db access could do it in a jiffy.

Then again, how many SEO spammers would just spam their keywords in old threads that no one will ever see again, just to have google index them.

Thanked by 2netpioneer WSS