Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do you feel a out providers promising "unlimited" HD, CPU and RAM? - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How do you feel a out providers promising "unlimited" HD, CPU and RAM?

Comments

• @jarland said:

@Yura said:
    LET's offer rules:

Shared Hosting Offers
    You cannot post unlimited storage offers.

Should this be changed then? What's the point of arguing for 3 pages that shared hosting offers can have unlimited storage for purpose of web hosting, be sustainable and reputable if you actually ruled it out yourself?

Right now I use: Dreamhost, A2 Hosting, and Hostinger.

The key to remember though is this: Dreamhost is enough by itself to show that unlimited can work.

You use 3 unlimited because 1 unlimited is not enough.

P.S. This thread is sad because it's LET in a nutshell.

It's totally sustainable and the rule is utter bullshit demanded out of irrational fear from half of the community, and a desire to limit competition from the other half. But it's not my call to make. The community made their choice. I enforce what I gave them the choice to demand. Doesn't mean their fear of unlimited isn't irrational with no basis in reality. Some hosts suck, period, and "unlimited" is not proven to be the relevant factor in whether or not one does.

I use three because I'm impulsive and enjoy trying different companies who make the same flavor of ice cream. Also the whole eggs, basket, etc. They're not letting me down, and at least one of them happens to be very highly regarded in the industry and had been for quite some time. That alone proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that the narratives people here buy about unlimited are fictional.

I thought you made up that rule. Now I know that you didn't. Hoarding unlimited offers? Well if that brings you joy, then enjoy.

Happy New Year, Jar :)

Thanked by 1jar
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@Yura said:

@jarland said:

@Yura said:
    LET's offer rules:

Shared Hosting Offers
    You cannot post unlimited storage offers.

Should this be changed then? What's the point of arguing for 3 pages that shared hosting offers can have unlimited storage for purpose of web hosting, be sustainable and reputable if you actually ruled it out yourself?

Right now I use: Dreamhost, A2 Hosting, and Hostinger.

The key to remember though is this: Dreamhost is enough by itself to show that unlimited can work.

You use 3 unlimited because 1 unlimited is not enough.

It's totally sustainable and the rule is utter bullshit demanded out of irrational fear from half of the community, and a desire to limit competition from the other half. But it's not my call to make. The community made their choice. I enforce what I gave them the choice to demand. Doesn't mean their fear of unlimited isn't irrational with no basis in reality. Some hosts suck, period, and "unlimited" is not proven to be the relevant factor in whether or not one does.

I use three because I'm impulsive and enjoy trying different companies who make the same flavor of ice cream. Also the whole eggs, basket, etc. They're not letting me down, and at least one of them happens to be very highly regarded in the industry and had been for quite some time. That alone proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that the narratives people here buy about unlimited are fictional.

I thought you made up that rule. Now I know that you didn't. Hoarding unlimited offers? Well if that brings you joy, then enjoy.

Happy New Year, Jar :)

:)

Let it never be said that my passionate opinions are absolute law here. I may make mistakes from time to time, and maybe occasionally feel so strongly about one thing that I'm willing to risk the result (leaders should always be willing to do so at times, sparingly), but this community belongs to it's members. The rest of the time, I'm just another member.

Thanked by 1Yura
  • You know many companies that offer unlimited, also say that you cannot use more than 95% (or some obscure number) of its average users or service will be slowed or terminated.

Thanked by 2Yura mfs
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Can we now talk about car manufacturers stating mpg that in reality can only be achieved under perfect conditions with the back seats ripped out no spare tyre in the boot/trunk and being driven by a 53lbs test driver?

tl;dr of this whole thread, marketing is marketing, deal with it.

Thanked by 3jar netpioneer WSS
  • WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran
    edited December 2017

Who cares? if majority people still purchase the plan with everything is unlimited, even if they do use 50-150 Mb of disk space. Some of providers are very funny as they do offer 3 plans on the their website as nothing is different except the name and cost of it as for the rest features are unlimited :)

@WebProject said:
    Who cares? if majority people still purchase the plan with everything is unlimited, even if they do use 50-150 Mb of disk space. Some of providers are very funny as they do offer 3 plans on the their website as nothing is different except the name and cost of it as for the rest features are unlimited :)

Never seen that, which provider? I've always seen something different, even if it's just SSL or something.

• @Yura said:

This topic is seeming more like Groundhog Day.

• @AnthonySmith said:
    Can we now talk about car manufacturers stating mpg that in reality can only be achieved under perfect conditions with the back seats ripped out no spare tyre in the boot/trunk and being driven by a 53lbs test driver?

Or talk about switch manufacturers and wire speed ...

tl;dr of this whole thread, marketing is marketing, deal with it.

tl;dr of this whole thread, good administration is good administration.

Thanked by 1AnthonySmith
  • ricardoricardo Member
    edited December 2017

tl;dr

Apart from the tragedy...

• Unlimited BW/Disk is offered in a lot of places

• It is (was?) mostly intended for people with little tech background just needing to know it's "big enough", maybe a marketing gimmick too... and a trick for front-end developers who were sick of updating the specs on productp ages every 6 months.

• Lots of large providers offer it. Westhost is another one not mentioned yet.

• It's not helpful for more technical savvy people who would like to know precise limits

• IMO in reality 'unlimited' is no different to offering 200GB space for $0.50/m... for a provider there's a trade off between stating common sense real world profitable limits and losing customers to the 'unlimited' provider. In a way, they're different markets but the colour of money is similar.

Comparing it a little differently....

I use shared providers and am interested in the number of addon/parked domains they provide. I know the ones offering 'unlimited' domains for $1.00 aren't going to be mega responsive, but I'll avoid ones where I can host one domain for $1.00 but 3 domains costs $8.00/m.

In my example I'll only use 10 tops on any plan, but guaranteed someone will try and use dozens of hundreds.

BTW how many threads have to turn into a spazfest of GIFs? I mean it's alright here and there but constantly, everywhere? Mods are either part of the issue or ineffectual. Not my fight though, just mentionining it :) Might get a snarky comment then thread closed. Just thought I'd mention it as I see perfectly reasonable comments/people getting shat on way too much on this 'community'

Thanked by 2netpioneer bitswitch
  • netpioneernetpioneer Member
    edited December 2017

@ricardo said:

• Lots of large providers offer it. Westhost is another one not mentioned yet.

And 1&1 is another

Unlimited Storage;
    Unlimited Websites;
    Unlimited Databases (1 GB SSD);
    Unlimited E-mail Accounts

12 months $4.99/month
    then $9.99/month

CDN with Railgun™ + $5/month

• @AnthonySmith said:

Fair enough, valid points and I dont think anybody would reasonably object to regulations banning such in-lab-only measuring, let alone defend them - well, except for the car manufacturers of course :).

There is still one tiny difference though, at least in theory these numbers could be still achieved, albeit under ridiculous settings, whereas the advertised "unlimited" can never be even remotely achieved under the scenarios mentioned here, as those providers will cut their customers off long long before they even reached an outrageous amount of whatever (which is still far below ∞). This is much more akin to Volkswagen's emission scandal than to some theoretical speed figures, be it cars or data transfer.

I am not advocating someone should expect a five terabyte storage with an exclusive usage of an octa-core system as well as a dedicated gigabit line on a 0,99/month shared hosting plan, but neither should providers advertise and sell that very offer and then backpedal when a customer actually uses more than they would have arbitrarily considered appropriate.

What amazed me here was not that some people might expect to run Facebook over aforementioned shared hosting plan but that some dipshits*) here actually actively defended such unethical and borderline illegal practices and - most importantly - could not keep up a civilised discussion and instead of addressing the arguments brought forward started babbling about some drug induced theoretical and actual reality and started insulting people.

*) Isnt it lovely to be able to freely use such inappropriate and vulgar language on LET ;)

Thanked by 1404error
  • ShazanShazan Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2017

Indeed I didn't like at all to see an administrator (EDITED) insulting a member of the community just to impose his point of view...

edited December 2017

What amazed me here is that some people think limits guarantee resource availability.

So one large provider with terabits of commited+burstable installed capacity, 50% idle capacity, offering unmetered data transfer is bad while a small provider renting a rack with TOR uplink to an aggregate switch 100Mbps port is perfectly ok to offer VPS with 5TB/month dt on nodes with 150+ VPS each.

Why is overselling bad done properly by large companies and it is good done by small providers?

• @netpioneer said:
    What amazed me here is that some people think limits guarantee resource availability.

Who are you referring to?
    because the members that argued that promising the galaxy to then deliver a cup of coffee, didn't ,in any way or shape, claimed that.

• bitswitchbitswitch Member
    edited December 2017

@netpioneer said:
    So one large provider with terabits of commited+burstable installed capacity, 50% idle capacity, offering unmetered data transfer is bad while a small provider renting a rack with TOR uplink to an aggregate switch 100Mbps port is perfectly ok to offer VPS with 5TB/month dt on nodes with 150+ VPS each.

5 terabytes each for 150 customers might be more than tricky on such a setup but as long as customers receive the promised service (because the majority uses a lot less) it would be "somewhat" okay (not necessarily "perfectly") but the moment that provider does not ensure that every customer can get their paid service even that "somewhat" would disappear. And I dont think anybody stated anything different.

• @404error said:
    because the members that argued that promising the galaxy to then deliver a cup of coffee, didn't ,in any way or shape, claimed that.

Ok. So the reputable providers selling unlimited web hosting plans with hundreds of thousands happy customers are scammers but the provider selling 2TB storage throttling TCP sessions to 1Mbps is the honest one.

• @netpioneer said:

@404error said:

Ok. So the reputable providers selling unlimited web hosting plans with hundreds of thousands happy customers are scammers but the provider selling 2TB storage throttling TCP sessions to 1Mbps is the honest one.

What exactly is reputable in selling what doesn't exist?

And let's be clear, these happy customers you refer to are simply people/businesses with web sites that are small. That's how these reputable providers you speak of manage their unlimited offers. The average customers won't ever come close to any real use of HD and BW. The cruel reality of internet is that the vast majority of websites are visited by SEs and their owners... and no one else. The vast majority of websites are small, few pages long with a few images.

This is what these providers are counting on, but, to play safe, they add some TOS clauses that will protect them from the odd customer that is going to actually consume resources. And to those, they either force to upgrade to a limited account (how funny is that?) or refund and send them packing.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited December 2017

bitswitch said: There is still one tiny difference though, at least in theory these numbers could be still achieved, albeit under ridiculous settings, whereas the advertised "unlimited" can never be even remotely achieved under the scenarios mentioned here

except Honda (and probably others) give unlimited milage/date guarantees on numerous chassis points and fixings points, the Honda Legend for example.

That is part of their marketing, they don't really mean unlimited/a trillion years etc, they expect you to apply common sense and understand it to mean not in its usable lifetime.

And yes, they have caveats too.

• Dedicated = Yep.

Unlimited = Bullshit!

• 404error404error Member
    edited December 2017

@AnthonySmith said:

bitswitch said: There is still one tiny difference though, at least in theory these numbers could be still achieved, albeit under ridiculous settings, whereas the advertised "unlimited" can never be even remotely achieved under the scenarios mentioned here

except Honda (and probably others) give unlimited milage/date guarantees on numerous chassis points and fixings points, the Honda Legend for example.

That is part of their marketing, they don't really mean unlimited/a trillion years etc, they expect you to apply common sense and understand it to mean not in its usable lifetime.

And yes, they have caveats too.

Not sure I understand the comparison you're making.
    I never saw an auto maker offering an "unlimited miles for life" warranty.

The offers I've seen throughout my life were always X years or X miles, whichever comes first. And they were always clear in their offer.

• bitswitchbitswitch Member
    edited December 2017

@AnthonySmith said:

Can we please not mix things, you mentioned miles per gallon and these can be often achieved, albeit maybe only under the perfect conditions you referred to. Now you switched to warranty and the like. After all we are not talking about cars :).

But yes, marketing and its lies is the core problem. If a manufacturer or service provider is not honest it is a problem and should be called out instead of being pathetically excused (not referring to you here but to the "pleasant" lads from before). I'd have less of a problem if a provider advertised no strict limits but applied a fair-use policy (with a rough estimate of what is fair-use more or less) to accomodate for technology-unsavvy customers who will most likely fall into a standard usage pattern but might be concerned by hard limits. "Unlimited" on the other hand is very clear and there is no need to any re-interpretation whatsoever to accomodate for providers who say A but actually mean B.

edited December 2017

@404error said:
    And let's be clear, these happy customers you refer to are simply people/businesses with web sites that are small. That's how these reputable providers you speak of manage their unlimited offers. The average customers won't ever come close to any real use of HD and BW. The cruel reality of internet is that the vast majority of websites are visited by SEs and their owners... and no one else. The vast majority of websites are small, few pages long with a few images.

Exactly. And that reputable providers did create a product called "unlimited plan" to satisfy the [huge] market demand of people/businesses with web sites that are small and don't want to worry about megabytes, megabits, overcharges -- for millions and millions of customers around the world those plans are more than truly unlimited, those plans are peace of mind, the service they were seeking and love.

I rest my case.

Happy 2018!

Thanked by 1jar
    edited January 2018

@Shazan said:
    Indeed I didn't like at all to see an administrator (and a DO representative?) insulting a member of the community just to impose his point of view...

He effectively said GoDaddy and Dropbox are the same product and that the difference between the two were buzzwords. That's his best response to being asked to define an actual problem he claims exists but can't even make a case for. That's called an idiot.

Thanked by 1Shazan
  • @netpioneer said:

@404error said:

Exactly. And that reputable providers did create a product called "unlimited plan" to satisfy the [huge] market demand of people/businesses with web sites that are small and don't want to worry about megabytes, megabits, overcharges -- for millions and millions of customers around the world those plans are more than truly unlimited, those plans are peace of mind, the service they were seeking and love.

I rest my case.

Happy 2018!

What was your case?
    Because it seems you just agreed that these providers never meant to deliver on their promise. They just hope that most clients won't notice it. Their "unlimited" is anything BUT unlimited.

Happy 2018 :)

@404error said:

@netpioneer said:

@404error said:

I rest my case.

Happy 2018!

What was your case?
    Because it seems you just agreed that these providers never meant to deliver on their promise. They just hope that most clients won't notice it. Their "unlimited" is anything BUT unlimited.

Happy 2018 :)

Dreamhost is still delivering. Found anyone they're not delivering for yet? Nope, because you're morality policing for your own values, not actually looking for a real problem.

• @jarland said:
    Dreamhost is still delivering. Found anyone they're not delivering for yet? Nope, because you're morality policing for your own values, not actually looking for a real problem.

I've never subscribed to any DreamHost service. but you talk about them a lot, do they offer unlimited storage? Send the url to their offer if you please.

edited December 2017

@404error said:

@jarland said:

I've never subscribed to any DreamHost service. but you talk about them a lot, do they offer unlimited storage? Send the url to their offer if you please.

They've been offering it without storage limits for years and have continued to not generate complaints: https://www.dreamhost.com/hosting/shared/

Might not say it there in the latest design iteration but they don't state a limit either, because they don't impose one and work to ensure that you have the space you want to use, as long as it's for web hosting.

They are your antithesis. Unlimited can be a way to say "we do not impose limits" (fits: not limited; unrestricted; unconfined) and that can be logically accurate within the definitions of the word, but you purposefully choose to interpret it as equivalent to the word "infinite" so that you can impose your moral values on the market and declare them morally bankrupt and scammers simply because that's the kind of person you've decided to be.

• @jarland said:
    That's called an idiot, and I'd gladly say it again. If you want to be that dramatic and personal over it, suit yourself, but it means you're even more of an asshole.

"Asshole" and "idiot" is one thing, but building rather bizarre theories on autism, OCD and other medical disorders, then use such labels to insult someone you don't like is a harmful behaviour which doesn't help anyone and stigmatize real people suffering from these chronic illnesses.

I ask you to be considerate and choose your words wisely. Your freedom of expression and having an opinion of people will not be limited if you will insult people without referring to life debilitating conditions.

Thanked by 2Shazan mksh
  • @jarland said:

They've been offering it without storage limits for years and have continued to not generate complaints: https://www.dreamhost.com/hosting/shared/

Might not say it there in the latest design iteration but they don't state a limit either, because they don't impose one and work to ensure that you have the space you want to use, as long as it's for web hosting.

So in short, they don't sell unlimited. Which is why they don't say it in their sales sheet.

@jarland said:

They are your antithesis. Unlimited can be a way to say "we do not impose limits" and that can be logically accurate within the definitions of the word, but you purposefully choose to interpret it as equivalent to the word "infinite" so that you can impose your moral values on the market and declare them morally bankrupt and scammers simply because that's the kind of person you've decided to be.

They're not even an example of a hosting that sells unlimited. They don't sell unlimited, they don't advertise as such, so your example is bogus.

The only one here tryng to interpret the word "unlimited" is you. You're the one that say stuff like "Unlimited can be a way to", not me.

Here is the definition. Again.

unlimited
    ʌnˈlɪmɪtɪd/
    adjective
    adjective: unlimited

1. not limited or restricted in terms of number, quantity, or extent.
      **"offshore reserves of gas and oil are not unlimited"
      synonyms:
      inexhaustible, **limitless
      , illimitable, boundless, unbounded, immense, vast, great, extensive, immeasurable, incalculable, untold, unfailing, everlasting, infinite, endless, never-ending, bottomless, measureless, inestimable, cosmic

Stop interpreting the word and accusing other of doing it. The very definition is above.

• 404error404error Member
    edited December 2017

@jarland

With a quick, really just a sec, search I found Dreamhost customers complaining about storage limits.

Do you still want to challenge this? or will you admit that no one offers unlimited?