Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Needing feedback on our proposed Block Storage, "BuyVM Slabs" ( $5 per 1TB)! - Page 6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Needing feedback on our proposed Block Storage, "BuyVM Slabs" ( $5 per 1TB)!

Comments

• lewellynlewellyn Member
    edited November 2017

@Francisco Just a thought on RAID-10/RAID-6: they're both prone to parity desynchronization which is more likely to happen the more disks you have in the array. Arguably, RAID-6 is a bigger concern as your parity can also end up desynchronized with itself.

RAID-4/RAID-DP is probably the most resilient to the issue (and that's what sold NetApps to a few places I've worked at over the years...), while software-based solutions (such as RAID-Z[n]) often have this concern in mind during the design phase. Also, keep in mind that RAID-Z and others work best with a non-RAID HBA, and there are plenty of resources as to the types of hardware to look at there (PM me or find me on Discord, if you are curious about exploring that route and need me to dig up resources).

While I know you're competent, I am cognizant that most people are only aware of the "RAID-5 Write Hole", which the aforementioned parity issues are a sibling of. I know you value your customers' data (and I hope to be a customer when your slabs roll out), so I thought it worthwhile to add to your probably massive collection of notes if not already there. :)

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@lewellyn - Thanks :) I'll leave you a message on discord.

Francisco

• i hope you are working in your BF deals...

@dedicados said:
    i hope you are working in your BF deals...

Not doing any deals.

Storage is a big undertaking and since we don't do any leases or things like that, I gotta make sure our bank accounts are nice and fat. All in I think we'll be 6 figures to get this all going.

The break even time on it is well past what I'm normally happy with, but it's a needed progression of the brand.

Francisco

• even with slices? no deals? =(

@dedicados said:
    even with slices? no deals? =(

Nothing planned anywhere.

Sorry!

Francisco

Thanked by 2Aluminat dedicados
  • Francisco said: Nothing planned anywhere.

Sorry!

COME ON FRAN, JUST A COUPLE OF DEALS, MAKE THE FANS GO WILD

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • @Nekki said:
    COME ON FRAN, JUST A COUPLE OF DEALS, MAKE THE FANS GO WILD

You'd think he's been gilded or something.

• Any deals?

@corbpie said:
    Any deals?

Nothing this year, sorry.

Maybe I'll do something once the storage launches :)

Francisco

Thanked by 1corbpie
  • Fran is on sale all year long with those delicious slices.

• Pancho, queremos cupones!!!

• dedicadosdedicados Member
    edited November 2017

ehhh no seas gacho weeee :(

• Para eso esta tu gobierno :)

@NANO said:
    Pancho, queremos cupones!!!

• NANONANO Member
    edited November 2017

@Hxxx said:
    Para eso esta tu gobierno :)

@NANO said:

Mi gobierno da bonos, no cupones xD y pronto se acabaran los bonos porque tendremos nuevo gobierno, y mejor :)

Thanked by 1Hxxx
  • imokimok Member
    edited November 2017

Por que estar ustedes hablando in espanol?

EDIT: Lol.

• HxxxHxxx Member
    edited November 2017

Perfecto. Los cupones son para los mantenidos, que no aportan nada a la sociedad. Mejor bonos que cupones.

@NANO said:

@Hxxx said:
    Para eso esta tu gobierno :)

@NANO said:

Mi gobierno da bonos, no cupones xD y pronto se acabaran los bonos porque tendremos nuevo gobierno, y mejor :)

• Francisco said: I gotta make sure our bank accounts are nice and fat. All in I think we'll be 6 figures to get this all going.

For me at least, $5 isn't especially less attractive as an annual price than as a monthly one, especially for bigger plans. Moving a TB of data is hassle enough that if I buy it at all, I probably want to keep it a while. That's unlike a VPS where if I spin up a new one for some reason, I might only want it for a month or two. If you did $7/TB monthly or $5 annual, you'd probably get a lot of annual takers and pay off the up front hardware costs faster.

@willie said:

Francisco said: I gotta make sure our bank accounts are nice and fat. All in I think we'll be 6 figures to get this all going.

For me at least, $5 isn't especially less attractive as an annual price than as a monthly one, especially for bigger plans. Moving a TB of data is hassle enough that if I buy it at all, I probably want to keep it a while. That's unlike a VPS where if I spin up a new one for some reason, I might only want it for a month or two. If you did $7/TB monthly or $5 annual, you'd probably get a lot of annual takers and pay off the up front hardware costs faster.

Yep, good point :) I expect that since we're a more established brand that people will be more willing to treat us as a more important data store than just a Linux ISO dump.

Francisco

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @Francisco said:
    Yep, good point :) I expect that since we're a more established brand that people will be more willing to treat us as a more important data store than just a Linux ISO dump.

Francisco

Yer getting pretty uppity for a LET poster. You gonna move over to WHT and dismiss us next week? :D

@WSS said:

@Francisco said:

Francisco

Yer getting pretty uppity for a LET poster. You gonna move over to WHT and dismiss us next week? :D

I post anywhere that'll let me sell service :P

I'll probably try to take up residence in /r/datahoarders and /r/seedboxes too.

Francisco

Thanked by 1WSS
  • You are a filthy, filthy pony.

I like that. Let's put you away wet!

• Francisco said: more important data store than just a Linux ISO dump.

For that matter I'd like to see a $1.50/month 200GB option. That would go nicely with a 1GB slice, totalling $5/month for the SSD KVM plus a usefully large chunk of auxiliary/backup storage.

Thanked by 1WSS

@willie said:

Francisco said: more important data store than just a Linux ISO dump.

For that matter I'd like to see a $1.50/month 200GB option. That would go nicely with a 1GB slice, totalling $5/month for the SSD KVM plus a usefully large chunk of auxiliary/backup storage.

$5 = 1TB
    $2.5 = 500GB
    $1.25 = 250GB

Are the planned added sizes :)

Francisco

Thanked by 3WSS jetchirag vimalware
  • $5 per tb per month is a sweet spot for me.

@lurch said:
    $5 per tb per month is a sweet spot for me.

There's a Slice you gotta buy in that so it'll be more like $8.50/month.

Still, it's a good price (in my eyes anyway) and I hope you'll still be interested :)

Francisco

• /r/tits

@Francisco said:

@WSS said:

@Francisco said:

Francisco

I post anywhere that'll let me sell service :P

I'll probably try to take up residence in /r/datahoarders and /r/seedboxes too.

Francisco

• @Francisco said:

@lurch said:

Still, it's a good price (in my eyes anyway) and I hope you'll still be interested :)

Francisco

Yep as already chosen my slice spec ;)

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • @Francisco said:

@lurch said:

Francisco

Discount for annual, biannual, triannual? :D

• Jesus fuck I don't even need any storage right now but I want.