Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Needing feedback on our proposed Block Storage, "BuyVM Slabs" ( $5 per 1TB)! - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Needing feedback on our proposed Block Storage, "BuyVM Slabs" ( $5 per 1TB)!

Comments

• @msg7086 said:
    And that's why I'm interested in slice+slab which is not supposed to bring the cost too high.

He invited you to buy a slice and he will bump the disk space to 100GB

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@lion said:

@msg7086 said:
    And that's why I'm interested in slice+slab which is not supposed to bring the cost too high.

He invited you to buy a slice and he will bump the disk space to 100GB

Can't do that, I thought he was having an issue over a 20GB shortage.

We'll see what happens. I do have a lot of SSD's coming free soon that I may put to use for SSD based block storage for those that want to pay for it.

Francisco

• @Francisco said:

We'll see what happens. I do have a lot of SSD's coming free soon that I may put to use for SSD based block storage for those that want to pay for it.

Francisco

I believe an SSD-cached HDD block storage should be enough to handle this, just that 100 iops may not be enough. We will see how it performs when it's GA.

BTW, thanks for bringing those sweet ideas to the LEB world.

@msg7086 said:

@Francisco said:

Francisco

I believe an SSD-cached HDD block storage should be enough to handle this, just that 100 iops may not be enough. We will see how it performs when it's GA.

BTW, thanks for bringing those sweet ideas to the LEB world.

I'm sure the cache will handle it fine, the plan is to have around 3 - 4TB of NVME cache per node.

The default will be 100, but I can extend some free IOPs to special cases like yourself if the nodes running like butter.

Francisco

• Another vote for the 0.5TB option. Provided the cost for this option is no more than $3.5, it'll mean I can swap out my existing 250GB storage VM without increasing the cost.

I'm assuming the slice will still have its own allocated storage, so this will appear as a second disk inside the VM?

@kiwidave said:
    Another vote for the 0.5TB option. Provided the cost for this option is no more than $3.5, it'll mean I can swap out my existing 250GB storage VM without increasing the cost.

I'm assuming the slice will still have its own allocated storage, so this will appear as a second disk inside the VM?

It would be $2.50 for the storage if we went that route.

Yes, it would appear as a 2nd drive, so you'd still get your OVZ.

As for current storages, i'd recommend keeping the current plan. You'll be getting dedicated 2.7Ghz+ cores, not the quarter/half that the E3's would for small plans.

Francisco

Thanked by 1dedicados
  • Just looked at those "old" storage offers. Did you forget to quadruple memory on storage2000?

@teamacc said:
    Just looked at those "old" storage offers. Did you forget to quadruple memory on storage2000?

I did, not in a big rush to fix that since we don't stock those.

Francisco

• @Francisco said:

@kiwidave said:
    Another vote for the 0.5TB option. Provided the cost for this option is no more than $3.5, it'll mean I can swap out my existing 250GB storage VM without increasing the cost.

It would be $2.50 for the storage if we went that route.

Yes, it would appear as a 2nd drive, so you'd still get your OVZ.

I like the idea. I don't need it, but I'm going to buy it of course.

• Tasty Deal. !!!

Goddammit.

That should be SSD, not OVZ -_-

Francisco

• Can't wait for these! A dedicated core plus 2TB storage as backup for 25$ seems yummy

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • What is the software stack going to look like, if you don't mind me asking? Straight iSCSI, Ceph, NFS, something else?

• imok said: I like the idea. I don't need it, but I'm going to buy it of course.

That's the best reason to buy everything.

• go go go!

@flatland_spider said:
    What is the software stack going to look like, if you don't mind me asking? Straight iSCSI, Ceph, NFS, something else?

Something else, in house.

I hear too many "it was fine then caught fire," stories on ceph so i wanted something different.

Francisco

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran
    edited November 2017

Francisco said: Something else, in house.

I'd really recommend going with powered USB hubs for those 1TB thumb drives.

@raindog308 said:

Francisco said: Something else, in house.

I'd really recommend going with powered USB hubs for those 1TB thumb drives.

Hey man thanks for watching out for me, I almost forgot about that! Just waiting on my 100% legit 1TB USB keys from China that I got for a steal of a price.

Francisco

Thanked by 2trewq dedicados
  • @Francisco said:
    I hear too many "it was fine then caught fire," stories on ceph so i wanted something different.

Francisco

>

Haha, yes. :) I have some professional colleagues who were responsible for finding a pretty bad bug in Ceph, and before that it was on my "Fuck that" list due to provenance. I'm sure it's great as an object store or in a low-speed, read heavy environment, which is where it came from, but I wouldn't trust it as high speed storage.

I'd be interested hearing about it one of these days. High speed storage for mixed workloads is something I'm interested in. Lustre and BeeGFS are the two leading candidates for me to experiment with.

• How about Gluster?

@flatland_spider said:

@Francisco said:

Francisco

>

Haha, yes. :) I have some professional colleagues who were responsible for finding a pretty bad bug in Ceph, and before that it was on my "Fuck that" list due to provenance. I'm sure it's great as an object store or in a low-speed, read heavy environment, which is where it came from, but I wouldn't trust it as high speed storage.

I'd be interested hearing about it one of these days. High speed storage for mixed workloads is something I'm interested in. Lustre and BeeGFS are the two leading candidates for me to experiment with.

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep