Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[SOLD OUT] Oneprovider - Europe i3-530 2x1000GB RAID, 4GB RAM, 1gbps port @ 10 Euros a month - Page 25
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[SOLD OUT] Oneprovider - Europe i3-530 2x1000GB RAID, 4GB RAM, 1gbps port @ 10 Euros a month

Comments

• WSSWSS Member

That was the second host, though. The first had no user access (and an ancient dedibox user with admin access), two mostly-dead drives with errors, and a BIOS that bitched about the RAM.

• SetsuraSetsura Member
    edited April 2017

Yeah sadly the iDRAC kills itself randomly a lot too, I have no real explanation for why it happens. It is why I just ended up going for qemu with VNC, it is jank but it works.

Edit: also I have the BIOS complaining about the ram too, they are mismatched ranks:

Handle 0x1100, DMI type 17, 28 bytes Memory Device Array Handle: 0x1000 Error Information Handle: Not Provided Total Width: 72 bits Data Width: 64 bits Size: 2048 MB Form Factor: DIMM Set: 1 Locator: DIMM_A1 Bank Locator: Not Specified Type: DDR3 Type Detail: Synchronous Unbuffered (Unregistered) Speed: 1333 MHz Manufacturer: 80CE000080CE Serial Number: 8553A161 Asset Tag: 02104400 Part Number: M391B5773CH0-CH9 Rank: 1

Handle 0x1101, DMI type 17, 28 bytes Memory Device Array Handle: 0x1000 Error Information Handle: Not Provided Total Width: 72 bits Data Width: 64 bits Size: 2048 MB Form Factor: DIMM Set: 1 Locator: DIMM_A2 Bank Locator: Not Specified Type: DDR3 Type Detail: Synchronous Unbuffered (Unregistered) Speed: 1066 MHz Manufacturer: 80CE000080CE Serial Number: 850319FB Asset Tag: 02100500 Part Number: M391B5673EH1-CF8 Rank: 2

• WSSWSS Member

@Setsura said:
    Edit: also I have the BIOS complaining about the ram too, they are mismatched ranks:

Mine was more of "Fuck Bank 2. Press F2 to resume."

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @WSS said:

@Setsura said:

Mine was more of "Fuck Bank 2. Press F2 to resume."

Ah, yeah you got a real shit box then I guess.

Thanked by 1WSS
  • xNEOxNEO Member

@Setsura said:
    Honestly this is a decent deal once you get everything working, not because of the specs really, but because it is gigabit unlike a kimsufi.

Anyway, for people having difficulty with the iDRAC or their shitty panel installer I have some suggestions for you:

• put the server into your desired raid mode (for me that was NORAID)
    • boot it into ubuntu 14 rescue(16 might work, didn't try)
    • apt-get update && apt-get install qemu-system-x86
    • download an ISO of your choice
    • tmux/screen this: qemu-system-x86_64 -net nic -net user,hostfwd=tcp::3389-:3389 -m 2048M -localtime -enable-kvm -cpu host,+nx -M pc -smp 2 -vga std -usbdevice tablet -k en-us -cdrom /path/to/your.iso -hda /dev/sda -hdb /dev/sdb -boot once=d -vnc :1
    • connect with VNC to yourip:1
    • enjoy a non-shit install experience without even using their jank ass iDRAC

Notes:

You may have to pre-partition your drives(so you can store the ISO on one) as the rescue OS is in memory so your ISO will take up memory which can cause it to OOM while installing.

You may also have to adjust the -m 2048M part to be -m 3000M if your ISO installer uses a lot of memory.

You will need to change the -hda /dev/sda -hdb /dev/sdb part according if you are not using NORAID mode. Use parted -l to figure it out probably.

I don't usually make guides so this probably sucks, if you have better suggestions feel free to mention them.

Thanks for sharing this,may try it later.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

After some quick n' dirty network tests, fairly consistent 550-650Mb/s inbound, typical online.

• WSSWSS Member

They've got a really shitty setup for IPMI, and how it obviously forks off a process to set it up with Online's API, then try to send it back with a json update on the client side? If it wasn't so broken, it'd be funny- like when someone in a long-forgotten-isp-i-worked-at wrote a checkout mechanism in java because CVS was too broken, which ended up basically just being a CVS wrapper that ate 100MB RAM and crashed at random.

OneProvider takes me back to those days.. except we didn't take 12 hours to answer email, because we had at least one person on staff at the time.

• WSS said: That was the second host, though. The first had no user access (and an ancient dedibox user with admin access), two mostly-dead drives with errors, and a BIOS that bitched about the RAM.

LIke this one of mine. Getting clipped every 5 mins from Drac, That is if it even boots up the Drac server which right now it won't. I am gonna go the month with it as I am paid up, but if they don't fix it and fix it right I am gonna one pissed Indian/White boy, and that is not a pretty sight.

• WSSWSS Member

I can't wait until you start getting pissy tickets. I got slightly 'testy' tickets, and I only opened two. One, shit don't work, two, shit still don't work.

• WSS said: I can't wait until you start getting pissy tickets. I got slightly 'testy' tickets, and I only opened two. One, shit don't work, two, shit still don't work.

I handle pissy tickets with a heavy hand and ask them if they want to come to where they are and fix their problems for them. I insinuate that me solving them is a tank running through front door. I can fly anywhere free so it makes no difference to me one way or the other.

• Transferred: 3053.015 GBytes (37.324 MBytes/s)
    Errors: 0
    Checks: 0
    Transferred: 927
    Elapsed time: 23h16m1.5s

If this continues, much better than Kimsufi.

• WSSWSS Member

@AuroraZ said:
    I handle pissy tickets with a heavy hand and ask them if they want to come to where they are and fix their problems for them. I insinuate that me solving them is a tank running through front door. I can fly anywhere free so it makes no difference to me one way or the other.

I think that is considered bullying or threatening in TYOOL2017. You just need to be snide and put them on ignore for a few hoursdays.

• @WSS said:

@AuroraZ said:

I think that is considered bullying or threatening in TYOOL2017. You just need to be snide and put them on ignore for a few hoursdays.

I pretty much ignore everybody anyways so that is nothing new to me, or from me.

• @AuroraZ said:
    @Nekki Do not feel bad man I have broken my IPMI so many times they probably think it would be cheaper to refund me or give me a new machine fresh out the box.

what is IPMI? I should have jumped on this deal. I had the kimsufi 7.99 100MBPS. Didn't realize this was 1GBPS. Damn.

• ThracianDogThracianDog Member
    edited April 2017

Hello,

>

Upon further investigation, it appears that the server is having hardware issues. Would it be possible to confirm if there are any important data on the drives?

• WSSWSS Member

Wait.. was that a HELPFUL @Nekki post?

what the fuck is the world coming to

Thanked by 1netomx
  • WSSWSS Member

also

is it

keep in it cociu

or

keep init cociu

because it works both ways

Thanked by 1netomx
  • LeeLee Veteran

yolo_me said: what is IPMI?

Not the same as this.

Nekki said: IMPI

• NekkiNekki Veteran

WSS said: Wait.. was that a HELPFUL @Nekki post?
    what the fuck is the world coming to

@Ishaq helped me see the error of my ways.

WSS said: also

is it

keep in it cociu

or

keep init cociu

because it works both ways

It's neither. It's 'keepin it cociu'. I apologise for trying to be 'down with the kids' by dropping the 'g'.

• WSSWSS Member

@Nekki said:
    It's neither. It's 'keepin it cociu'. I apologise for trying to be 'down with the kids' by dropping the 'g'.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

WSS said: keep init cociu

Nekki said: It's neither. It's 'keepin it cociu'. I apologise for trying to be 'down with the kids' by dropping the 'g'.

and here I've been reading it as "keep it in cociu".......

Thanked by 2WSS Falzo
  • Persistance pays off they will be switching mine to a Supermicro with ILO instead of this pile of crap. Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanked by 2ThracianDog netomx
  • WSSWSS Member

@mikho said:
    and here I've been reading it as "keep it in cociu".......

I blame @Nekki- because I did the same thing until I made my crappy joke.

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited April 2017

Will the first person hurry up with the "I bought a 10 EUR server from OneProvider, it's down, my customers are mad, charging back on their $20 a month services and I don't know what to do" threads.

I want to rip you a new one when you do.

Thanked by 3netomx willie vimalware
  • still no server

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

@maldovia said:
    still no server

Yeah.. I just put in a ticket tonight asking for the status (my first ticket so far). We'll see how they respond.

• @Lee said:
    Will the first person hurry up with the "I bought a 10 EUR server from OneProvider, it's down, my customers are mad, charging back on their $20 a month services and I don't know what to do" threads.

I want to rip you a new one when you do.

Sounds like fun can we skip right to the part where you rip me a new one? I am kind of impatient over here.

• If mine had 8GB ram, I'd be tempted to touch the ipmi and try Proxmox + zfs.

Now, i'll just think of it as a (Kidechire X 5) upgraded seedbox.

Hashing is now no longer painfully slow for on-demand tvlinux iso downloads.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • BayuBayu Member

kingjj said: Reinstall took less than 15 minutes...

.. and do not forget to not install smartmontools if you using Ubuntu 12/14/16 on any Dell hardware (i3-530, X3450, L3426). This will triggering a kernel panic at random intervals. I have often experienced it, the server will stop working after a period of hours.

Thanked by 1kingjj