Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[SOLD OUT] Oneprovider - Europe i3-530 2x1000GB RAID, 4GB RAM, 1gbps port @ 10 Euros a month - Page 27
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[SOLD OUT] Oneprovider - Europe i3-530 2x1000GB RAID, 4GB RAM, 1gbps port @ 10 Euros a month

Comments

• hope i can pick up one more. have no problems with the 2 i already have.

• @Setsura said:
    Honestly this is a decent deal once you get everything working, not because of the specs really, but because it is gigabit unlike a kimsufi.

Anyway, for people having difficulty with the iDRAC or their shitty panel installer I have some suggestions for you:

• put the server into your desired raid mode (for me that was NORAID)
    • boot it into ubuntu 14 rescue(16 might work, didn't try)
    • apt-get update && apt-get install qemu-system-x86
    • download an ISO of your choice
    • tmux/screen this: qemu-system-x86_64 -net nic -net user,hostfwd=tcp::3389-:3389 -m 2048M -localtime -enable-kvm -cpu host,+nx -M pc -smp 2 -vga std -usbdevice tablet -k en-us -cdrom /path/to/your.iso -hda /dev/sda -hdb /dev/sdb -boot once=d -vnc :1
    • connect with VNC to yourip:1
    • enjoy a non-shit install experience without even using their jank ass iDRAC

Notes:

You may have to pre-partition your drives(so you can store the ISO on one) as the rescue OS is in memory so your ISO will take up memory which can cause it to OOM while installing.

You may also have to adjust the -m 2048M part to be -m 3000M if your ISO installer uses a lot of memory.

You will need to change the -hda /dev/sda -hdb /dev/sdb part accordingly if you are not using NORAID mode. Use parted -l to figure it out probably.

I don't usually make guides so this probably sucks, if you have better suggestions feel free to mention them.

I followed this guide and successfully installed everything and can log into the system via the vnc, except I can't figure out how to ssh into the machine after quitting vnc. I set the boot mode to normal from rescue in the oneprovider panel, but then the ssh doesn't recognize any user accounts. What am I missing?

• WSSWSS Member

Did you remember to quit from QEMU and reboot your VPS, rather than the virtual QEMU session?

When you are done with your install via VNC, sync/halt it. Then halt qemu, and reboot the VPS itself.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @WSS said:
    Did you remember to quit from QEMU and reboot your VPS, rather than the virtual QEMU session?

When you are done with your install via VNC, sync/halt it. Then halt qemu, and reboot the VPS itself.

Yes, that's what I did, installed everything, checked if it worked (including ssh server), then killed the qemu screen session and rebooted the server. But the only way I can access the installed system is from a live cd via the qemu session.

• WSSWSS Member

What happens if you reboot the VPS with VNC active?

• @blablub123 said:
    I canceled mine now. Going with cociu 1TB special tomorrow.

do tell what is this.

• @yolo_me said:

@blablub123 said:

do tell what is this.

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/2175966/#Comment_2175966 Start looking there :)

• @WSS said:

Same thing. I've found that I need to set up networking properly within the qemu session at /etc/network/interfaces, but even with that, I don't seem to be able to make it work.

• @blablub123 said:

Yep, went with cociu's 2TB offer and canceled this one. ~70€/y with Raid10 instead of 120€/y with Raid0. I was just after storage anyway and don't need a dedi.

• @AuroraZ said:

@Jompjomp said:
    Will they enable IPv6 if you ask?

Yes but it is by dhcp only.

They gave me an IPv6 address, but I have no idea how to use it. Runing Ubuntu..any tips?

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor
    edited April 2017

@Jompjomp - try adding "iface eth0 inet6 auto" under your "auto eth0" line in your /etc/network/interfaces file (replacing eth0 with whatever your net interface is called - use ifconfig to find it). Then try rebooting and testing it out - ”ping6 ipv6.google.com”.

If no dice, just google how to add a static ipv6 address in Ubuntu and you'll get it rolling quickly.

edited April 2017

We are pleased to inform you that the server you ordered has now been set up and is operational.

My server finally got set up... Hopefully I don't have as many headaches as others in this thread.

i3-2100, 4gb RAM.
    Can't seem to get smart stats of the drives. Seem to be HP SAS 15000rpm drives though.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @chrisp said:

@blablub123 said:

Yep, went with cociu's 2TB offer and canceled this one. ~70€/y with Raid10 instead of 120€/y with Raid0. I was just after storage anyway and don't need a dedi.
    @chrisp said:

@blablub123 said:

2TB?

• BG32BG32 Member

@yolo_me said:

@chrisp said:

@blablub123 said:

@chrisp said:

@blablub123 said:

2TB?

He had a 1tb, 2 tb and 3 tb deal but IIRC 2 x 1tb was cheaper than buying a 2tb

• williewillie Member
    edited April 2017

BG32 said: 2 x 1tb was cheaper than buying a 2tb

Also 2x 6 months was cheaper than 1x 12 months. He still has those offers but no more 30% off coupon. 4TB cost 4x 1TB if that matters. Only 2TB was more expensive/TB (shrug). More offers are supposedly coming.

• WSSWSS Member

@shitposter said:

@WSS said:

Same thing. I've found that I need to set up networking properly within the qemu session at /etc/network/interfaces, but even with that, I don't seem to be able to make it work.

Under QEMU, use DHCP. Then, before you reboot, edit your network settings for the machine itself. Then reboot.

• @MasonR said:

We are pleased to inform you that the server you ordered has now been set up and is operational.

My server finally got set up... Hopefully I don't have as many headaches as others in this thread.

i3-2100, 4gb RAM.
    Can't seem to get smart stats of the drives. Seem to be HP SAS 15000rpm drives though.

HP Smart Array P410

• smartctl -a -d cciss,0 /dev/sg0
    • smartctl -a -d cciss,1 /dev/sg0

Note that kernel panic may also occur. So, I recommend that you do nothing before running this command.

Perhaps the mounted disk is MB1000EBNCF, which is the HP part of the WDC WD1003FBYX.

Thanked by 2MasonR shitposter
    edited April 2017

@DaipuX said:

• smartctl -a -d cciss,0 /dev/sg0
    • smartctl -a -d cciss,1 /dev/sg0

Much appreciated! 45k hrs spin time and no reallocated sectors, not bad.

• Do you guys will keep this server?

• BG32BG32 Member

We need a lowend translator

• WSSWSS Member

@BG32 said:
    We need a lowend translator

Cheep. Cheep CHEEP

CHEEPER!

• Just got mine 30 mins ago, was ordered via the cached link.
    540, 4GB, 2 x 1TB drives, one is marked as failed and I can not write to it.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

@mtsbatalha said:
    Do you guys will keep this server?

For now, yes. I've cancelled my two Online.net 1TB specials and kept this server instead. It'll be fine in the short term.

I'm on the verge of picking up a new dedi with 4x the storage, if that deal comes to pass I'll probably cancel this one.

• fLoofLoo Member

Just for those who know what im talking about: The magic starts with "1253" ;-)

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @fLoo said:
    Just for those who know what im talking about: The magic starts with "1253" ;-)

I guess that means I don't know what your talking about :-(

• fLoofLoo Member

Ok let me be more precise: The magic number is 1253 :)

• @fLoo said:
    Ok let me be more precise: The magic number is 1253 :)

Actually the magic number is 42 :-P

Thanked by 1netomx
  • fLoofLoo Member
    edited April 2017

"The smarter ones will get what i ment in my two posts above" / Edited for good reasons.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited April 2017

@fLoo you really did not have to simple it down so far, the smarter ones have already figured out what you mean from your very first post, and others do not deserve that cheeky catch of a deal.

Thanked by 2fLoo netomx
  • fLoofLoo Member

@rm_ said:
    @fLoo you really did not have to simple it down so far, the smarter ones have already figured out what you mean from your very first post, and others do not deserve that cheeky catch of a deal.

Meh, i wouldnt have gone further by now anyway. Thought so that most know what im talking about in my very first post ;-) Its pending at the moment, lets see how it goes :)