Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for some beta testers for our new Wyvern release and KVM services. - Page 6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for some beta testers for our new Wyvern release and KVM services.

Comments

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@JoeMerit said:
    lol, no feedback... you should terminate all the beta KVMs so we can see the third worlders who were just looking for a free server complain.

After 7 days they auto-terminate, I've also set the bandwidth to 10GB. :)

Thanked by 1DewlanceVPS
  • WSSWSS Member

@KuJoe said:
    So far none of the current beta testers have provided any feedback so hopefully that means 100% of the bugs have been corrected. I'm jump bumping this thread because we still have a few more free services available for anybody interested in helping test the service and control panel. :D

Have you addressed all of the issues I complained about? If so, then we're probably done. If not, well..

@WSS said:

@KuJoe said:
    So far none of the current beta testers have provided any feedback so hopefully that means 100% of the bugs have been corrected. I'm jump bumping this thread because we still have a few more free services available for anybody interested in helping test the service and control panel. :D

Have you addressed all of the issues I complained about? If so, then we're probably done. If not, well..

Yup, all of the issues in this thread (that I could find) and in tickets were addressed.

• WSSWSS Member

@KuJoe said:
    Yup, all of the issues in this thread (that I could find) and in tickets were addressed.

So it's not archaic to use, everything that requires a full stop/restart is noted, and you broke out every option for the newb so although it's a little annoying- it's clear to know what you have to do in order for it to change the KVM?

Go ahead and hit me back with an active account- and I'll be happy to go through my whole "For idiots" QA again. :)

@WSS said:

@KuJoe said:

So it's not archaic to use, everything that requires a full stop/restart is noted, and you broke out every option for the newb so although it's a little annoying- it's clear to know what you have to do in order for it to change the KVM?

Go ahead and hit me back with an active account- and I'll be happy to go through my whole "For idiots" QA again. :)

I'm still working on step-by-step documentation of each feature (here's the a KB article going over the first tab) but I've updated the messaging to reflect a the whole "stop and start" required. I'll look up your account and re-create your VPS for you.

• WSSWSS Member

That KB is awful. It's too technical for most folks, and doesn't have a graphical/numerical representation for those- let's just say- less technical. Granted, they shouldn't be running their own VPS, but they're still your common market.

I was going to send you my info, but I just got your message. Cheers!

@WSS said:
    That KB is awful. It's too technical for most folks, and doesn't have a graphical/numerical representation for those- let's just say- less technical. Granted, they shouldn't be running their own VPS, but they're still your common market.

I was going to send you my info, but I just got your message. Cheers!

I'm going to include screenshots eventually but one thing to keep in mind is that we do not want "less technical" clients, our business model is designed around hosting people who know what they are doing. When somebody opens a ticket asking "what's SSH" we typically refund their payments and direct them to find a provider who offers managed services. We're a two man operation who automates the crap out of our business, it's one of the main reasons I've built Wyvern so if we start getting tickets for a specific request I can add a button or script to take care of it. We tried doing the hand holding approach in the past but it's too expensive and time consuming. It sounds like we're succeeding in scaring off the clients we can't afford to have. :D

• WSSWSS Member

I'm not suggesting you have "What's SSH" non-technical, but people who have never setup or configured QEMU may have issues with your current flow, and the state that virtually any change requires you to click the right button before making other changes, or it'll forget what you changed- except for the final thing you changed, provided you had.

Basically, I'm saying "Get rid of this nice and small design that people who know what they're doing can figure out- and just step them through EVERY setting". It doesn't have to be catered for idiots, but, again, if you've never setup QEMU (and don't understand that you have made separate things all available in the same tab), it can be confusing.

Thanked by 1KuJoe

@WSS said:
    I'm not suggesting you have "What's SSH" non-technical, but people who have never setup or configured QEMU may have issues with your current flow, and the state that virtually any change requires you to click the right button before making other changes, or it'll forget what you changed- except for the final thing you changed, provided you had.

Basically, I'm saying "Get rid of this nice and small design that people who know what they're doing can figure out- and just step them through EVERY setting". It doesn't have to be catered for idiots, but, again, if you've never setup QEMU (and don't understand that you have made separate things all available in the same tab), it can be confusing.

That makes more sense. I think once I have the functionality working the UI is the next thing to get an overhaul.

• WSSWSS Member

You will get fewer support requests if you at least, I dunno- color the submit button for the same as the setting. The new look is a lot less confusing, but I still think your flow will be better by forcing someone to step through the whole config with 'next'/'back' buttons- again, your client is not an idiot, but is unlikely to know QEMU.

I'd remove the API tab- it's going to cause pain for not-so-bright clients, and the fact you have no docs is not great. Overall, though, it looks better. Will offer more after I set it up.

• WSSWSS Member

Also, please set an anchor in your frame, so you don't have to scroll all the way down to see Wyvern, and the associated response. It'd be nice if you could read a session response or something so you could set it in the whmcs page- because, again, you aren't looking for idiots, but until someone recognizes the flow, they may wonder "OK, the page refreshed, but what.. did it work?"

I like the available ISOs, which show mount status, et al. I don't like the IPv6 tab, because it's confusing. You offer the "Add IP" submit button BEFORE the "Add IPv6" image, which you use to configure the subnet.

The log is awesome. Perhaps it should be noted initially, so people using this know what they did when they click the button (beyond the response message).

• WSSWSS Member

..and your KVM is still broken. It wasn't running, but I had to stop it twice for it to boot from CD, and it still shits before chaining to INIT.

Honestly, since Linux is one of the few things that seem to work, you might as well just make an OpenVZ panel.

• busbrbusbr Member
    edited April 2017

@KuJoe said:

Ouch, I'll see if I can help out.

Edit: can I convert to a paying plan in the future?

@WSS said:
    ..and your KVM is still broken. It wasn't running, but I had to stop it twice for it to boot from CD, and it still shits before chaining to INIT.

Honestly, since Linux is one of the few things that seem to work, you might as well just make an OpenVZ panel.

That's just weird, I did 2 installs of both FreeBSD and OpenBSD on two different VPSs without issue. It looks like I'm just going to drop BSD support all together since it's so inconsistent.

• WSSWSS Member

@KuJoe said:
    That's just weird, I did 2 installs of both FreeBSD and OpenBSD on two different VPSs without issue. It looks like I'm just going to drop BSD support all together since it's so inconsistent.

Rather than fix your KVM? Well, that's an option- but I was being bitterly sarcastic. Good luck, though.

edited April 2017

@WSS said:

@KuJoe said:

Rather than fix your KVM? Well, that's an option- but I was being bitterly sarcastic. Good luck, though.

It's almost impossible to fix when I can't reproduce the issue every time. :(

@busbr said:

@KuJoe said:

Ouch, I'll see if I can help out.

Edit: can I convert to a paying plan in the future?

The beta accounts will auto terminate after 7 days.

• WSSWSS Member

@KuJoe said:
    It's almost impossible to fix when I can't reproduce the issue every time. :(

Not really. It always craps itself when booted with the OpenBSD 6 image with 512MB. Just copy the command line that starts it and feed it to gdb, then trace upstream.

• busbrbusbr Member

Service provisioned; starting by installing Debian 8 with the ISO. The installer wasn't able to grab the IP with DHCP. I'll see if I can reproduce with other installers.

A web VNC client might be useful.

• WSSWSS Member

@busbr said:
    Service provisioned; starting by installing Debian 8 with the ISO. The installer wasn't able to grab the IP with DHCP. I'll see if I can reproduce with other installers.

DHCP isn't offered. Be glad that he's actually giving you the IPv4 information now- it didn't used to be there.

• busbrbusbr Member

@WSS said:

@busbr said:

DHCP isn't offered. Be glad that he's actually giving you the IPv4 information now- it didn't used to be there.

I'm still giving him my money if SecureDragon starts offering NAT KVMs!

• WSSWSS Member

@busbr said:

@WSS said:

@busbr said:

I'm still giving him my money if SecureDragon starts offering NAT KVMs!

I'd love to give him money, myself- but "Fuck this OS, because it doesn't work on my setup" in response to a broken QEMU does not entice me to pull out the wallet. I do hope he manages to get his shit fixed, because his little management system is a hell of a lot nicer than dredging through Virtualizor or Solus.

• WSS said: I'd love to give him money, myself- but "Fuck this OS, because it doesn't work on my setup" in response to a broken QEMU does not entice me to pull out the wallet. I do hope he manages to get his shit fixed, because his little management system is a hell of a lot nicer than dredging through Virtualizor or Solus.

My toilet after I have eaten mexican from a food truck is nicer then those.

• WSSWSS Member

pix or it didn't happen

• busbrbusbr Member

I hope you got steak.

• WSS said: pix or it didn't happen

@netomx has them he likes taking those. For some reason he is really anal about it.

• WSSWSS Member

@AuroraZ said:

WSS said: pix or it didn't happen

@netomx has them he likes taking those. For some reason he is really anal about it.

I could care less- but @Nekki can't post a response and I know it's eating him up inside.. butt enough about the butt stuff.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @KuJoe I got one earlier today and installed Debian 8 with GPT partitions. Everything seems to be working fine. Two things that I made a note of:

1. I think it's already been mentioned but it's strange to show a 14 digit VNC password when only the first 8 digits are actually used. I would suggest trimming the password.
    2. I was going to say that the bandwidth chart should show the previous 24 hours of bandwidth usage by default. However, I think I misunderstood this portion of the panel. There's a note that says "No bandwidth history yet. Please wait until next month." I initially interpreted this to mean that I have to wait a full month before the bandwidth charts are plotted. Re-reading this, maybe it meant that the bandwidth plotting just won't be implemented until May.
  • netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@AuroraZ said:

WSS said: pix or it didn't happen

I am on the right position now to have some pics for ya :p

@busbr said:

There is no DHCP server at this time. I plan on adding a web VNC client down the road but it's not a priority right now.