Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for some beta testers for our new Wyvern release and KVM services. - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for some beta testers for our new Wyvern release and KVM services.

Comments

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@MeltedLux said:
    There should be a way to disable the VNC access for security's sake or even just being able to change the password.

Spamming "Grant IP Access to API" causes this and also freezes whmcs from the looks of it: https://i.hatethe.uk/yEYs9VRKKILC.png. Pressing any of the delete buttons removes them all

You can change the VNC password in Wyvern already via a button. I'll look into disabling access to it though.

Thanks for the info about the spamming, this is one of the things that will be fixed in the rewrite.

@WSS said:

Make console access a Boolean checkbox. If unchecked, bind to same port, localhost.

I'm not sure what you mean by that. Do you mean add the option to enable/disable console access?

• @KuJoe

Not only do I fully agree that a (hopefully good and not only browser accessible) console is an absolute must, but I also suggest to create longer passwords (min.len 15), ideally also containing "special chars" for console access.

edited March 2017

@WSS said:
    There's something wrong with your qemu, Joe. There's no other way to put it. It needs to be reverted, rebuilt- something. :)

It's the base version installed via YUM, it's identical to what is installed on our SolusVM KVM node.

EDIT:
    Wyvern Node: Package 2:qemu-kvm-0.12.1.2-2.491.el6_8.7.x86_64 already installed and latest version

SolusVM Node: Package 2:qemu-kvm-0.12.1.2-2.491.el6_8.7.x86_64 already installed and latest version

@bsdguy said:
    @KuJoe

Not only do I fully agree that a (hopefully good and not only browser accessible) console is an absolute must, but I also suggest to create longer passwords (min.len 15), ideally also containing "special chars" for console access.

I'll increase the character count and add a few special characters for good measure. :)

• WSSWSS Member

@KuJoe said:

@WSS said:

Make console access a Boolean checkbox. If unchecked, bind to same port, localhost.

I'm not sure what you mean by that. Do you mean add the option to enable/disable console access?

Yes. Checkbox on, bound to external IP; not checked, connected to loopback (or just removed from command line).

@KuJoe said:

@WSS said:
    There's something wrong with your qemu, Joe. There's no other way to put it. It needs to be reverted, rebuilt- something. :)

It's the base version installed via YUM, it's identical to what is installed on our SolusVM KVM node.

Now that's really strange. You may have something built NOT from the standard repos that might be causing a library colission, or something else. You may have found a magical command line/firmware set that makes it unstable. Really, will have to ldd your binaries and compare the libs used, and debug the command line.

Have a good trip!

• I agree. Console access should be explicitely turned on in the panel. Even more it should trigger a limited time port opening, say 3 hours and only from the source IP from which the panel was accessed.

As for qemu and BSD I remember that I once had to research something similar for a provider. linux worked fine but BSD didn't. iirc it was some disk related parameter.

qemu again: I'd advise against using (not self built) packages. It's much better to build them oneself for such critical stuff. From what I see here I'd guess that running ./configure --help would be helpful ...

One thing is clear: If it works with 1 GB RAM then that might provide some clues but is definitely not the problem issue. Both FreeBSD 10 and 11 run without any trouble and comfortably in 256 MB. I know for sure because I had not only name servers and mail servers but also http running in it.

• angstromangstrom Moderator

bsdguy said: One thing is clear: If it works with 1 GB RAM then that might provide some clues but is definitely not the problem issue. Both FreeBSD 10 and 11 run without any trouble and comfortably in 256 MB. I know for sure because I had not only name servers and mail servers but also http running in it.

I can also confirm this.

By the way, has anyone tried to install NetBSD on KuJoe's system? If FreeBSD and OpenBSD fail, I guess that NetBSD also fails.

• KuJoe said: If you're concerned about security then the attacker would need to guess both the port and the password for your VNC console and even then they wouldn't have access to your VPS without your root password.

Don't leave a security to chance. With every new VPS the chances for attackers rises. In addition if you trust VNC server as it is, after few tries to login with invalid password it will start to deny every new connections until restart. This will make customers upset, because they won't be able to use VNC.

In my opinion VNC colsole should be disabled by default and only enabled for OS installs (try to link it with mounting .iso) and when customer enables it for themselves (with estimated usage time). In addition to that, VNC should be only accessible for the IP used in CP to enable it. Later you can code management for whitelising IPs, so the customers can add other IPs.

• @MrPsycho

Yes and no. No, vnc should not be available only on installs; that's be nonsensical. But yes, access should be limited and controlled (see my post above).

Btw., I'm not under the impression that @KuJoe is easy about security. He immediately reacted positively on an advice from me. But you should also see the nature of software beta testing. vnc security is important but it's not at the core right now. I take it that KuJoe right now is most concerned about the Wyvern core functionality and that, once that works well, will look at related issues such as vnc security.

Thanked by 1MrPsycho
  • @bsdguy Maybe I was not sufficiently clear (starting a day without coffee :/), but I meant pretty much the same as you. Clarifying there should be two options to have VNC enabled:

• enabled manually via CP for predefined time with option to extend that time

• while installing OS (mount button should be linked to VNC enable button)

In both cases VNC should be protected with firewall, that grants access only to whitelisted IPs.

I don't like the firewall/whitelisting idea but I will definitely add the ability to enable and disable VNC in Wyvern along with a longer randomly console generated password.

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • @jamesrat said:

@MeltedLux said:

@jamesrat said:
    I have an issue with you not using a real cert on your shopping cart. I like lets encrypt as much as the next guy but strongly believe you should have a paid cert if you are taking CC info.

Do you work for Comodo? You seem like the type of person that works at Comodo. You should work at Comodo if not.

I do not work for Comodo. I just hate seeing "providers" act like they are running a business and using a free cert because they don't want to to spend $8 on a real cert. I don't have an issue using Let's encrypt for non-payment sites. As @KuJoe pointed out he is not transferring CC info as its being processed off-site.

I am satisfied with that answer.

The only reason why you should use a paid cert is for the warranty they offer. Is a data leak caused by the SSL or the SSL company, there is a warranty that will cover any fees related to the downtime or leak.

It is why EV SSLs have $1,500,000 of warranty.

• @DeadCode said:
    Is a data leak caused by the SSL or the SSL company, there is a warranty that will cover any fees related to the downtime or leak.

You just pulled that out of your ass, bother reading the actual warranty document.

• HxxxHxxx Member

So hostile. :) Warm and sweet LET

@deadbeef said:

@DeadCode said:
    Is a data leak caused by the SSL or the SSL company, there is a warranty that will cover any fees related to the downtime or leak.

You just pulled that out of your ass, bother reading the actual warranty document.

Thanked by 2deadbeef DeadCode
  • WSSWSS Member

@angstrom said:

bsdguy said: One thing is clear: If it works with 1 GB RAM then that might provide some clues but is definitely not the problem issue. Both FreeBSD 10 and 11 run without any trouble and comfortably in 256 MB. I know for sure because I had not only name servers and mail servers but also http running in it.

I can also confirm this.

By the way, has anyone tried to install NetBSD on KuJoe's system? If FreeBSD and OpenBSD fail, I guess that NetBSD also fails.

I doubt it as well. That it fails right when OBSD hands off from init really has me confused because that failure is hard-every time. I don't know what it might possibly tickle in QEMU to do that, but it does.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@KuJoe said:
    I don't like the firewall/whitelisting idea but I will definitely add the ability to enable and disable VNC in Wyvern along with a longer randomly console generated password.

FYI VNC has an 8 character max password length so you can make it as long as you want, it won't use more than the first 8 characters.

Francisco

Thanked by 2KuJoe Hxxx
  • HxxxHxxx Member

Is impressive that in 2017 vnc still have such limitation.

@Francisco said:

@KuJoe said:

FYI VNC has an 8 character max password length so you can make it as long as you want, it won't use more than the first 8 characters.

Francisco

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @Hxxx said:
    So hostile. :) Warm and sweet LET

You should have seen me on my IRC days.

• @Clouvider said:

Insurance means a lot. Not sure if Let's Encrypt provides any ?

Just out of curiousity and risking derailing this topic. How does this actually work? What's the insurance for? Do they ever pay out and what for? Sorry if this is a dumb question but I can seriously not think of a single case where I would need insurance on a certificate.

• WSSWSS Member

@Saragoldfarb said:

@Clouvider said:

Just out of curiousity and risking derailing this topic. How does this actually work? What's the insurance for? Do they ever pay out and what for? Sorry if this is a dumb question but I can seriously not think of a single case where I would need insurance on a certificate.

It's bullshit- like flight insurance. If somehow the data is compromised and used nefariously, the insurance is supposed to pay to get everything back to normal with all fees/et al.

Kind of like the guy who used to advertise his social security number, and then 4chan (I think?) decided to make his life hell. Don't know if he's around anymore, but haven't seen those commercials in about a decade. :D

• @WSS said:

@Saragoldfarb said:

@Clouvider said:

It's bullshit- like flight insurance. If somehow the data is compromised and used nefariously, the insurance is supposed to pay to get everything back to normal with all fees/et al.

Kind of like the guy who used to advertise his social security number, and then 4chan (I think?) decided to make his life hell. Don't know if he's around anymore, but haven't seen those commercials in about a decade. :D

Cheers Just what I was thinking. Chances of them screwing up are slim I guess. Compared to the chance of data being compromised as a result of a faulty setup on the user's end that is. And if they messed up I'd sue anyway.

• WSSWSS Member

The biggest reason not to use an LE certificate is: Anyone who knows what LE is will know you're too hokey to buy your own certificate. That's really what it boils down to.

I'm not current for the very-latest DSS, but I won't doubt that it will (eventually) have provisions against LE/free certificates, but there was nothing specific about that under Requirement 2.4, the last time I was certified. Yes, keys/certificates currently fall under 2.4 (as far as 3.0 is concerned)- Maintain an inventory of system components that are in scope for PCI DSS.

• deadbeefdeadbeef Member
    edited March 2017

@WSS said:
    If somehow the data is compromised and used nefariously, the insurance is supposed to pay to get everything back to normal with all fees/et al.

Since this is the second time I read this in the last few days, I'll ask. Where did you actually read an ssl warranty that say anything about data compromised etc.? The only thing the warranty is about is in case THEY didn't follow THEIR OWN certificate issuing procedures.

Happy to be proven wrong, link me the docs (anyone)!

• WSSWSS Member

@deadbeef said:

@WSS said:
    If somehow the data is compromised and used nefariously, the insurance is supposed to pay to get everything back to normal with all fees/et al.

Since this is the second time I read this in the last few days, I'll ask. Where did you actually read an ssl warranty that say anything about data compromised etc.? The only thing the warranty is about is in case THEY didn't follow THEIR OWN certificate issuing procedures.

The last time I actually read (bothered) with what was covered, I was running Apache/Strongbox with a Thawte certificate. I just assume the terms are still the same, because I've never been actually called out that this may have changed drastically in 20 years. :)

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • deadbeefdeadbeef Member
    edited March 2017

@WSS said:
    The last time I actually read (bothered) with what was covered, I was running Apache/Strongbox with a Thawte certificate. I just assume the terms are still the same, because I've never been actually called out that this may have changed drastically in 20 years. :)

Thanks @WSS - Thawte 's one I hadn't looked at, so it was a nice chance. This is what it seems to be now:

The CPS (mentioned in the iii) ):

• WSSWSS Member

I believe the warranty was actually supplemental, but if you cruise around in the wayback machine, you'll find virtually every SSL certificate vendor had some "XX,XXX" guarantee. I don't care to dig through a lifetime ago of archives to bother. I'd rather just throw my Solaris 2.6 5/98 books at your head.

Thanked by 2deadbeef AuroraZ
  • @WSS said:
    I believe the warranty was actually supplemental, but if you cruise around in the wayback machine, you'll find virtually every SSL certificate vendor had some "XX,XXX" guarantee.

They still do and EVs go to some $ millions in warranty - it's just that the warranty covers ... nothing really :D This is why I post about it every time I see someone mentioning about the warranty.

I'd rather just throw my Solaris 2.6 5/98 books at your head.

No, please no, they used to make those things real heavy back in the day :o

• WSSWSS Member

All I know was that our lawyers spent at least a week talking to Thawte about them, and what they'd cover. It was the only way we were able to get a top-3 broadcast network as a client back then. Don't care anymore.

@deadbeef said:

They were made out of paper that came from this thing called trees. Maybe you've seen pictures of them- I don't know. The big FaceGoogleZon disk crash of 2104 took out pretty much all records before 2100. Now, all we have are memories that we'll get wiped if we dare speak of them..

Ah, memories.

Thanked by 2deadbeef AuroraZ
  • @WSS said:

@deadbeef said:

They were made out of paper that came from this thing called trees. Maybe you've seen pictures of them- I don't know. The big FaceGoogleZon disk crash of 2104 took out pretty much all records before 2100. Now, all we have are memories that we'll get wiped if we dare speak of them..

Ah, memories.

• WSSWSS Member

No- that's just more jumbled data. I seem to recall that as being "Genderfluid Models: 2020"

Thanked by 1deadbeef