Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for some beta testers for our new Wyvern release and KVM services. - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for some beta testers for our new Wyvern release and KVM services.

Comments

• @Francisco said:

@KuJoe said:
    I don't like the firewall/whitelisting idea but I will definitely add the ability to enable and disable VNC in Wyvern along with a longer randomly console generated password.

FYI VNC has an 8 character max password length so you can make it as long as you want, it won't use more than the first 8 characters.

Francisco

-> x11vnc (http://www.karlrunge.com/x11vnc)

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@bsdguy said:

@Francisco said:

@KuJoe said:
    I don't like the firewall/whitelisting idea but I will definitely add the ability to enable and disable VNC in Wyvern along with a longer randomly console generated password.

FYI VNC has an 8 character max password length so you can make it as long as you want, it won't use more than the first 8 characters.

Francisco

-> x11vnc (http://www.karlrunge.com/x11vnc)

How would I replace the VNC server that comes with KVM without recompiling it?

• @KuJoe

Not having looked deeper into it, my guess is that you don't recompile at all but simply rename the x11vnc server. KVM shouldn't care much as it's job is not being a vnc server but rather to connect bits and pieces between host and guest and to then provide an interface to common ways like vnc, spices, pseudo-terminals, etc.

I might be wrong but I think it's very similar (modulo graphics/framebuffer stuff) to how ssh works. In my "ssh" server software I also play with (p)ttys and make the terminal think that something actually connected through tcp is its tty.

Similarly I (confidently) think that KVM part of the vnc (or other) job is just to trick a normal vnc server into not dealing with the real (host) framebuffer but rather with the guests. Hence it should do that for anything that calls itself vnc and works like vnc (which x11vnc largely does).

Another maybe more comfortable way for you would be to stick to crappy std. vnc but to route it through ssh and to such mitigate both the shitty short password and it being transmitted in cleartext.

edited April 2017

Sorry for the long delay, I ended up being on vacation for the majority of March and any free time I had went towards figuring out this BSD issue which has finally been resolved. The issue ended up being me setting the Max CPU and Max RAM in the XML file which caused installations to run out of RAM. I removed the Max CPU and Max RAM fields and now all OSes are installing correctly although now we're lost the ability to upgrade/downgrade services, a small sacrifice I guess but still an annoying one. I was setting the Max CPU to 16 cores and Max RAM to 16GB, weird bug maybe? Anyways, the more I work with KVM the more I hate it.

I've got more things to fix in the dev version of Wyvern but once I push it live I'll have another round of beta testing. :)

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
    edited April 2017

@jamesrat said:
    I have an issue with you not using a real cert on your shopping cart. I like lets encrypt as much as the next guy but strongly believe you should have a paid cert if you are taking CC info.

There is absolutely no reason whatsoever why you'd need a paid certificate to take creditcard details. It makes absolutely zero difference - it's all just cryptographic signatures.

Now an EV certificate might be a valid thing to argue for, depending on case, but this also has nothing to do with price and everything with the validation methods applied.

(Let's Encrypt certificates are "real" certificates, by the way. The idea that a certificate must inherently cost money to be secure is utter bullshit perpetrated by CAs that have profited off this misconception for decades, alongside other nonsense like "the green lock / CA badge tells you the site is securely built".)

EDIT: By the way, as already said, the insurance is nonsense. They don't cover anything that's actually likely to ever happen. It's meaningless snakeoil.

Thanked by 2angstrom deadbeef

I've added stock to the beta test services if anybody is interested (link in the first post).

I've fixed some things based on the feedback received but I'm still working on documentation. At this time OS installation should be working 100% for all OS options available (if you have any requests you want to test out, let me know).

I've also updated the KVM plans on our website to give you an idea of the resources and pricing for our new SSD KVM plans.

• Ordered :)

• @WSS said:

@doughmanes said:
    Submit an order and don't pay?

I sure hope not..

KVM-SSD-512M - new.server.vps (03/07/2017 - 04/06/2017) $2065999.99 USD
    +100GB Bandwidth: 1377330 x +100GB Bandwidth $1.50 USD
    Initial Location: fl1|Tampa - SSD
    Verify VPS: on
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Sub Total: $2065999.99 USD
    Credit: $0.00 USD
    Total: $2065999.99 USD 
    ------------------------------------------------------

7$

• Your email tells me my SolusVM username is 'root' and password is''...

Check your email template! @KuJoe

@sanvit said:
    Your email tells me my SolusVM username is 'root' and password is''...

Check your email template! @KuJoe

Thanks, I'll get that fixed later today.

@Janevski said:

7$

Too expensive.

• BharatBBharatB Member, Patron Provider

@KuJoe said:

Ordered but maxmind marked it fraud, please check :P

• i want a 64mb kvm to test =) not 512, is possible?

edited April 2017

@dedicados said:
    i want a 64mb kvm to test =) not 512, is possible?

We will not be offering anything less than 512MB, sorry. Plus, I don't think 1.25GB of disk space is going to be enough.

• WSSWSS Member

@dedicados said:
    i want a 64mb kvm to test =) not 512, is possible?

You can pay for one from @AnthonySmith - I'm pretty sure he'd happily downgrade you to 64MB for a 128..

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

dedicados said: i want a 64mb kvm

what would you even install on that?

Thanked by 1jackb
  • jackbjackb Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2017

@AnthonySmith said:

A gigantic swap file. Got a feeling he wouldn't get anything done otherwise...

• dedicadosdedicados Member
    edited April 2017

jackb said: Got a feeling he wouldn't get anything done otherwise...

bla bla bla, im just going to let it idle like the others i have, but i want a 32mb and 64mb.

im just like that.

• WSSWSS Member

@AnthonySmith said:

Tiny, perhaps..

@KuJoe said:

Yesterday I signed up for one of the kvm plans, it got marked as fraud, today I see my account itself isn't found.

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@AnthonySmith said:

I've got debian 7 running on a 64MB KVM. Gotta install via template. I have OpenVPN + lighttpd running on it. 256MB of swap (on pure SSD) for any apt-get upgrades :P

21MB ram usage at idle.

Thanked by 1dedicados

@BharatB said:

@KuJoe said:

Yesterday I signed up for one of the kvm plans, it got marked as fraud, today I see my account itself isn't found.

Unfortunately we could not manually verify your account, additionally you did not follow the instructions in the first post. Sorry.

edited April 2017

@KuJoe said:

I included LET details in the ticket cuz I forgot about it in order notes, can I try again?

• I got an invoice overdue notice... :(

• WSSWSS Member

@Harambe said:
    I've got debian 7 running on a 64MB KVM. Gotta install via template. I have OpenVPN + lighttpd running on it. 256MB of swap (on pure SSD) for any apt-get upgrades :P

21MB ram usage at idle.

Using swap is cheating. Keep it in/under 64MB. I still want a 32MB shell to play with. I'd consider 16MB, but I'd need swap, and ne2k ethernet for sure.

So far none of the current beta testers have provided any feedback so hopefully that means 100% of the bugs have been corrected. I'm jump bumping this thread because we still have a few more free services available for anybody interested in helping test the service and control panel. :D

• DigitalJoseeDigitalJosee Member
    edited April 2017

@KuJoe said:
    So far none of the current beta testers have provided any feedback so hopefully that means 100% of the bugs have been corrected. I'm jump bumping this thread because we still have a few more free services available for anybody interested in helping test the service and control panel. :D

Since it still avaliable, I got one.

Can you enable it? I got one Fraud Check (maybe because I'm from Brazil).

My order id is: 3655254463

edited April 2017

@DigitalJosee said:

@KuJoe said:

Since it still avaliable, I got one.

Can you enable it? I got one Fraud Check (maybe because I'm from Brazil).

My order id is: 3655254463

Unfortunately I cannot activate your service for you for three reasons.

1) We are not accepting any orders from Brazil at this time.

2) You didn't follow the instructions in the first post.

3) Your LET account is too new.

Sorry.

• lol, no feedback... you should terminate all the beta KVMs so we can see the third worlders who were just looking for a free server complain.