Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for some beta testers for our new Wyvern release and KVM services. - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for some beta testers for our new Wyvern release and KVM services.

Comments

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@WSS said:
    You're eventually going to want to fork your process to kill the pid, rather than waiting on the task, because this will eventually DDoS your client area from some retard smashing the buttons like a retarded monkey.

The next update will address this. Right now some of the functions don't wait for the process to complete but I can hopefully get them all to work this way shortly.

• @jamesrat said:
    I have an issue with you not using a real cert on your shopping cart. I like lets encrypt as much as the next guy but strongly believe you should have a paid cert if you are taking CC info.

Paid SSL is a scam overall. Why pay for something that gives the exact same security other than brag that you did? Now if LE used 64 or 128 bit encryption, and geotrust uses 4096, thats a different story. But branding alone means nothing as the end security crypto remains the same.

Thanked by 3Rhys ucxo Chronic

@WSS said:
    IP is given, but other network information is not outlined in email, nor in the client area. I'm trying a Debian install, and all I have is a single /32. Is this a pointopoint? Is it part of a subnet? (No DHCP response with virtio driver), etc..

Doh! I meant to add this info to the IP address tab before pushing it live. It's part of a /24 and I'll get that fixed tonight. There is no DHCP at this time.

Thanked by 1Rhys
  • WSSWSS Member

If you can, I'd also suggest updating the ancient gPXE to iPXE, because the one you're on is buggy as hell.

To streamline the "multiple options" virtual hardware settings, I'd consider making each option a separate tab (for now), so people know they can't select multiple things at once and expect it to work with a single submit. :)

Hope this helps!

Thanked by 2Rhys KuJoe
  • @jamesrat said:
    I have an issue with you not using a real cert on your shopping cart. I like lets encrypt as much as the next guy but strongly believe you should have a paid cert if you are taking CC info.

Are you retarded or simply incapable of technical knowledge?

Thanked by 1doughmanes

@pcfreak30 said:
    Paid SSL is a scam overall. Why pay for something that gives the exact same security other than brag that you did? Now if LE used 64 or 128 bit encryption, and geotrust uses 4096, thats a different story. But branding alone means nothing as the end security crypto remains the same.

I think the main benefit with a paid SSL versus LetsEncrypt is the warranty, if I was accepting any payments through my website I would want that warranty in the event something happened through no fault of my own and my business was on the line.

@WSS said:
    If you can, I'd also suggest updating the ancient gPXE to iPXE, because the one you're on is buggy as hell.

To streamline the "multiple options" virtual hardware settings, I'd consider making each option a separate tab (for now), so people know they can't select multiple things at once and expect it to work with a single submit. :)

Hope this helps!

There is no DHCP or PXE server so it doesn't matter which PXE we use, neither will work. :)

• @KuJoe said:
    I think the main benefit with a paid SSL versus LetsEncrypt is the warranty, if I was accepting any payments through my website I would want that warranty in the event something happened through no fault of my own and my business was on the line.

Yeah, well, you better read what the warranty is about.

"Warranty is an insurance for an end user against loss of money when submitting a payment on an SSL-secured site."

And when does the warranty apply?

"if a Certificate Authority fails to properly validate the information contained in a digital certificate"

In other words, only if you lie to them. Sleeping better?

Thanked by 2Rhys Dylan

@deadbeef said:

@KuJoe said:

"Warranty is an insurance for an end user against loss of money when submitting a payment on an SSL-secured site."

"if a Certificate Authority fails to properly validate the information contained in a digital certificate"

Meh, doesn't affect me one way or the other. I don't want to jump through hoops to be PCI compliant which is why I leave that to the experts. :D

• WSSWSS Member
    edited March 2017

@KuJoe said:
    There is no DHCP or PXE server so it doesn't matter which PXE we use, neither will work. :)

With this one weird trick...

There's something else unstable with the KVM itself, because I can't even load OpenBSD from cd60.iso and a RAMdisk. I'll try FreeBSD later.

Thanked by 1KuJoe
  • K4Y5K4Y5 Member

@KuJoe said:
    We've (finally) made some changes to our KVM services and have release a rather large update to Wyvern so we can be 100% SolusVM free in the future. I'm looking for some beta testers to give it a try before we start offering the new KVM service so if you're interested please use the link below to sign up and include your LET username in the order notes (no username, no service). We only have a limited number of beta tester spots available and I'm going to be selective in who gets a VPS but if you're an active member here then you'll most likely get a VPS to test out.

https://securedragon.net/clients/cart.php?a=add&pid=263

The VPSs will expire next week and we would appreciate any and all feedback, both good and bad. We have a lot of features in the works so your feature requests will help us prioritize our development. Please report any issues you experience or anything that acts differently than you'd expect it to. Lastly, I am working on better documentation so anything you'd like clarification on feel free to ask so I can be sure to add it to the documentation. Thanks!

Please note that some features are disabled due to current hardware limitations like the backups, snapshots, and migrations. These features do work and we expect them to be enabled in the future.

Just placed an order if you're still looking for beta testers. Turns out, my order is high risk though -

MaxMind Error
    Your order has been flagged as potentially high risk and therefore it has been held for manual review.

Any chance you could help with this?

Thanked by 1KuJoe
  • IshaqIshaq Member

Thanked by 2KuJoe DewlanceVPS

@K4Y5 said:
    Any chance you could help with this?

You're all set.

Thanked by 1K4Y5
  • WSSWSS Member

@Ishaq said:

You need to hit "Stop", then go and toggle it to CD, then toggle it to mount the CD. Then click start. It's pretty convoluted.

Thanked by 2KuJoe DewlanceVPS
  • IshaqIshaq Member

@WSS said: You need to hit "Stop", then go and toggle it to CD, then toggle it to mount the CD. Then click start. It's pretty convoluted.

Ah. I did mount before the stop but since that destroys I guess it wouldn't save it.

Thanked by 1KuJoe
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

For OpenBSD on kvm I've had to play with acpi,pae, etc. in the past. Granted that's been mostly on Solus, but OpenBSD has always been more cantankerous. For some reason, they don't test it much on Linux-based virtualization...

Thanked by 1KuJoe
  • WSSWSS Member
    edited March 2017

@Ishaq said:

@WSS said: You need to hit "Stop", then go and toggle it to CD, then toggle it to mount the CD. Then click start. It's pretty convoluted.

Ah. I did mount before the stop but since that destroys I guess it wouldn't save it.

Yup. Make sure you click each one's button to the right after making your setting change, too, or it won't take anything but the [last] one you clicked.

@raindog308 said:
    For OpenBSD on kvm I've had to play with acpi,pae, etc. in the past. Granted that's been mostly on Solus, but OpenBSD has always been more cantankerous. For some reason, they don't test it much on Linux-based virtualization...

The whole point of a KVM is so you aren't stuck with the host OS (generally Linux)- unless you really want to. OpenBSD's virtio in 6.0 is probably the most stable of any *BSD, too. I've homerolled my own KVMs on Debian, and I've never really had to mess with anything to get BSDs to work. >shrug<

Thanked by 1KuJoe
  • @KuJoe said:

@deadbeef said:

@KuJoe said:

Meh, doesn't affect me one way or the other. I don't want to jump through hoops to be PCI compliant which is why I leave that to the experts. :D

The warranty is just more marketing BS. I mean has there ever been a case of a CA getting compromised and getting a valid warranty claim? Don't see how a paid SSL offers anything specific to PCI that LE does not do.

Bottom line, LE is for anything and no reason to pay 10 for compute time worth less than a buck.

Thanked by 2deadbeef maverickp
  • WSSWSS Member

@pcfreak30 said:
    The warranty is just more marketing BS. I mean has there ever been a case of a CA getting compromised and getting a valid warranty claim? Don't see how a paid SSL offers anything specific to PCI that LE does not do.

You must not handle PCI compliance much. You do what the bank says, or you get fined and possibly lose your merchant account. It doesn't matter what your personal feelings are. Now can we move this derail somewhere else? :)

Thanked by 2doughmanes deadbeef
  • IshaqIshaq Member

@KuJoe

Resetting console password makes VNC inaccessible with "Authentication failed".

Thanked by 1KuJoe
  • @WSS said:

@pcfreak30 said:

You must not handle PCI compliance much. You do what the bank says, or you get fined and possibly lose your merchant account. It doesn't matter what your personal feelings are. Now can we move this derail somewhere else? :)

And what tell does a 10 SSL by geotrust do differently than LE. Only difference I know is normal vs EV which LE doesn't give.

• WSSWSS Member

@KuJoe This is a nice starting point, but the interface, well..

Thanked by 1KuJoe
  • Ooops, I came too late -> Out of stock.

• WSSWSS Member

@bsdguy want mine? I think I'm done if Joe wants to give it to you.

• WSSWSS Member

@Ishaq said:
    @KuJoe

Resetting console password makes VNC inaccessible with "Authentication failed".

Looks like the issue with FreeBSD was the 512MB of RAM, I bumped one of the VPSs up to 1GB and it's installing fine now. Strange.

@WSS I bumped your VPS up to 1GB of RAM also, can you give OpenBSD a try now?

• IshaqIshaq Member

Stopped, mounted ISO and changed boot order to CD ROM and VNC works now but getting can't read from CD-ROM again.

• WSSWSS Member

@KuJoe said:
    Looks like the issue with FreeBSD was the 512MB of RAM, I bumped one of the VPSs up to 1GB and it's installing fine now. Strange.

@WSS I bumped your VPS up to 1GB of RAM also, can you give OpenBSD a try now?

Nope. That fix is psychosomatic- even as bloated as FBSD is, I have 11 happily running in 256MB. OBSD still doesn't work. What's your command line and did you build your own qemu or is it from a distribution?

• WSSWSS Member

@Ishaq said:
    Stopped, mounted ISO and changed boot order to CD ROM and VNC works now but getting can't read from CD-ROM again.

You have to go back and remount the CDROM as a separate step. Stop it again, go mount, and try to start again. Yeah.

• bsdguybsdguy Member
    edited March 2017

@WSS said:
    @bsdguy want mine? I think I'm done if Joe wants to give it to you.

Thanks, but thanks no. It's not that I want to test. Actually I usually don't even react after what I recently experienced with one provider testing something and reacting not at all to no matter what.

But KuJoe isn't just anybody; I remember him being a professional and polite person, so I was willing to take a test account to help.

Besides, you are anyway the one with more beautiful hair (and an 8 core notebook ...) and as beautiful hair is the most important factor KuJoe will be served better with you anyway.

Thanks, though, for your friendly offer and good success to KuJoe.