Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for some beta testers for our new Wyvern release and KVM services. - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for some beta testers for our new Wyvern release and KVM services.

Comments

• WSSWSS Member

@bsdguy said:
    Besides, you are anyway the one with more beautiful hair (and an 8 core notebook ...) and as beautiful hair is the most important factor KuJoe will be served better with you anyway.

I knew you'd never let that go. It's 4 cores, 2 threads each. That's why I tease you about it. Don't hate me beceause I'm beautiful.

Still no love, @KuJoe- I do think there is something else amiss. If qemu is this unstable before installation, it really needs to be fixed before it makes it out of staging. :)

• WSS said:

You must not handle PCI compliance much.

Are you claiming that PCI approves of cheap-ass domain validated Comodo certificates but bans LetsEncrypt?

• @WSS said:

@KuJoe said:
    Looks like the issue with FreeBSD was the 512MB of RAM, I bumped one of the VPSs up to 1GB and it's installing fine now. Strange.

@WSS I bumped your VPS up to 1GB of RAM also, can you give OpenBSD a try now?

Nope. That fix is psychosomatic- even as bloated as FBSD is, I have 11 happily running in 256MB. ...

Yes, absolutely NO problem whatsoever to run FreeBSD 11 in 256 MB.

One test I suggest because it tends to turn ugly quickly if a VPS isn't configured properly:

• install FreeBSD and let it have a swap of 1 or 1.5 GB.
    • boot into it and then turn swap off and bsdinstall (from the running BSD) a new BSD into what was the swap partition.

If you want to make it funnier, install 11 through a 10 and use ftp rather than a local iso.

• WSSWSS Member

@bsdguy said:
    If you want to make it funnier, install 11 through a 10 and use ftp rather than a local iso.

Can't even get it installed. I'm relatively sure that there's something wrong with qemu- but evidently the linux distributions aren't tickling it in the same way, since I've seen no reports of them malfunctioning.

• Can you describe the problem in more detail?
    (And: My offer to KuJoe stands. If he wants me to I'll have a test account. But not yours. I'd rather have both of us look at it from 2 accounts).

• Great Joe is still making great progress. Recalled my Tampa 32mb Ovz running pptp.
    Still have a shared hosting :)

• WSSWSS Member

@bsdguy said:
    Can you describe the problem in more detail?

Yeah. FreeBSD hangs randomly during install- Joe was able to get that to work by kicking it up to 1G RAM. OpenBSD won't install. Period. Won't install over the network or CD.. once init hands off to the shell (from bsd.rd), qemu seems to die- VNC drops immediately and although the control panel says it's still running, I see no evidence of it doing so.

I asked @KuJoe where this QEMU came from, but have not had a response.

• @MeltedLux said:

WSS said: Mounting doesn't always work with a reset. I had to stop (destroy) my KVM instance for it to actually mount the CD.

not sure if it's just me but I'm not able to mount an ubuntu 16.04 iso at all it just fails with code 0003 in the kvm

Same here. Shutdown vm, unmout, mount, start and it booted from cdrom, but install didn't worked:

Tried a couple of times, always crashing at the first steps of installation when installer is copying some files from cdrom.

• @WSS said:
    Yeah. FreeBSD hangs randomly during install- Joe was able to get that to work by kicking it up to 1G RAM. OpenBSD won't install. Period. Won't install over the network or CD.. once init hands off to the shell (from bsd.rd), qemu seems to die- VNC drops immediately and although the control panel says it's still running, I see no evidence of it doing so.

I think the RAM upgrade just shifted the symptoms and I know for sure that 256MB is fully sufficient for a BSD install.

Having very few data points I might be wrong but my guess is the qemu disk and cdrom. Have a look at the qemu config Wyvern builds up and uses.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

So it looks like the KVM VPSs have issues installing an OS with less than 1GB of RAM. Upgrading the RAM has resolved most of the install issues so far, I'm assuming it has to do with the creation of the RAM disk so I will continue to investigate further.

Thanked by 2doughmanes WSS
  • WSSWSS Member

@bsdguy said:

>

Having very few data points I might be wrong but my guess is the qemu disk and cdrom. Have a look at the qemu config Wyvern builds up and uses.

Scroll up. I've already asked for that. :)

@KuJoe said:
    So it looks like the KVM VPSs have issues installing an OS with less than 1GB of RAM. Upgrading the RAM has resolved most of the install issues so far, I'm assuming it has to do with the creation of the RAM disk so I will continue to investigate further.

If you could do a ps -efww dump of the command line that's being run, I might be able to reproduce it over here. Otherwise, I'm just lost. Crappy that you came to test a panel and found the KVM subsystem itself was broken. Good luck!

• Hey we broke it for him during a beta test rather than people just blindly deploying stuff with minimal testing

• WSSWSS Member
    edited March 2017

@doughmanes said:
    Hey we broke it for him during a beta test rather than people just blindly deploying stuff with minimal testing

We'll never get a job with OnApp now.

If you're old enough to remember Livingston, the telco based tech company of the mid-90s, I blew a job there when I met with the "lead software designer". I asked him that he never did anything with it after opening A20 to use the memory a-la himem.sys, when he had at least a 16 bit external path to access 16MB (386sx? don't remember if it was a dx now). He said that "protected mode is too difficult", and walked out then, saying I was "too smart for the job".

Thanked by 1Hxxx
  • KuJoe said: So it looks like the KVM VPSs have issues installing an OS with less than 1GB of RAM. Upgrading the RAM has resolved most of the install issues so far, I'm assuming it has to do with the creation of the RAM disk so I will continue to investigate further.

By any chance is QEMU configured with UEFI rather than the legacy BIOS? I've experienced some strange issues with UEFI KVM virtual machines freezing if they don't have a certain amount of RAM.

• WSSWSS Member

Nope. Stock ol' seabios.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

few suggestions:

1) Maybe throw up a quick public bug tracker, even if its temporary.

2) Everyone stop talking about certs, its irrelevant to the topic and seriously not helping in any way shape or form, if you want to talk about hosts using LE, then open a new thread, I will be happy to debate it in excruciating detail.

3) Happy to help with the testing if you need anyone else @KuJoe in the future.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@Ishaq said:

@jamesrat said: I have an issue with you not using a real cert on your shopping cart. I like lets encrypt as much as the next guy but strongly believe you should have a paid cert if you are taking CC info.

What does a certificate have anything to do with how SSL/TLS works?

Insurance means a lot. Not sure if Let's Encrypt provides any ?

• @Clouvider said:

We've eloquently debunked this myth in this thread, do bother to scroll back.

Thanked by 1Clouvider

@deadbeef said:

@Clouvider said:

We've eloquently debunked this myth in this thread, do bother to scroll back.

Ugh, didn't noticed this thread has 2 pages, sorry!

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • BradNDBradND Member
    edited March 2017

@jamesrat said:
    I have an issue with you not using a real cert on your shopping cart. I like lets encrypt as much as the next guy but strongly believe you should have a paid cert if you are taking CC info.

>

Can you explain why you feel strongly? TLS is TLS, 'valid' cert or not.

@WSS said:

@pcfreak30 said:
    The warranty is just more marketing BS. I mean has there ever been a case of a CA getting compromised and getting a valid warranty claim? Don't see how a paid SSL offers anything specific to PCI that LE does not do.

You must not handle PCI compliance much. You do what the bank says, or you get fined and >possibly lose your merchant account. It doesn't matter what your personal feelings are. Now >can we move this derail somewhere else? :)

Banks do not enforce PCI compliance. They may require it, but they do not enforce it.

@BrandND they do ask for the certificate though the moment you cross certain threshold, that's sort of enforcing it.

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • Can we now please stop the side-discussion about tls and certs?

It's irrelevant in the context of PCI as those certs are OV and not simply DV. For testing purposes anything incl. used toilet paper would do, as it's merely a formal issue, so a toy cert from let's encrap is damn good enough; it makes tls happy and it even makes the browsers happy.

As for the rest re. ssl/tls let me tell you what the dos and don'ts from the cia cyberblabla warrior group has to say: Don't rely on ssl/tls, as it's utterly rotten (content/meaning: cia, phrasing: mine).

@KuJoe started this thread for a clear purpose and a laudable one. So, please, respect that and don't discuss about the nicest colour for used toilet paper.

Thanked by 2doughmanes WSS
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran
    edited March 2017

@bsdguy said:

Can we now please stop the side-discussion about tls and certs?

Indeed - fork a new thread if you want to talk about that. This thread is about the Wyvern beta testing.

• ucxoucxo Member

@KuJoe Pity it's out of stock… Any chance to hop on the beta-testing train? I always enjoy breaking things and then complaining about them being broken! :)

• MrPsychoMrPsycho Member
    edited March 2017

You should definitely point out network information such as gateway. It took me nearly half an hour to notice that VNC IP isn't the same as my VPS, and it might be a gateway... I'd never thought that the gateway can be x.x.x.78.

There is also problem with booting again from CD. Your option "Boot Device:" just doesn't work properly. I can try a thousand times and it's not going to work without unmounting ISO, rebooting the VM and mounting that ISO again. From that point I can successfully change it to CD-ROM and reboot it again. Keep in mind that your CP always told me that there is ISO mounted. I've send you a video showing that in PM.

Your control panel is really raw and it's definitely not friendly for beginners. If you keep that this way, you will have a lot of tickets from non-experienced users. Some of them will not even open a ticket and just move on with negative opnion about you.

... oh and regarding that VNC. Be sure that someone sooner or later will try to bruteforce it. Why do I need to change my SSH port and use SSH-keys when there is such a amazing backdoor to my system "protected" with 10 characters password made of numbers and small letters.

Edit: Derp. Now my VM is still booting from .iso even if it's unmounted correctly (unmoun --> shutdown --> start). I don't even know what to say.. I'll just update my PM with new video ;___;

@MrPsycho said:
    You should definitely point out network information such as gateway. It took me nearly half an hour to notice that VNC IP isn't the same as my VPS, and it might be a gateway... I'd never thought that the gateway can be x.x.x.78.

As I said this will be in the next update. I meant to put it in before it went live but I completely forgot about it.

There is also problem with booting again from CD. Your option "Boot Device:" just doesn't work properly. I can try a thousand times and it's not going to work without unmounting ISO, rebooting the VM and mounting that ISO again. From that point I can successfully change it to CD-ROM and reboot it again. Keep in mind that your CP always told me that there is ISO mounted. I've send you a video showing that in PM.

>

The problem is the "shutdown" button, it doesn't always work and it doesn't change the config for the VPS. I will update the wording in Wyvern to reflect this.

Your control panel is really raw and it's definitely not friendly for beginners. If you keep that this way, you will have a lot of tickets from non-experienced users. Some of them will not even open a ticket and just move on with negative opnion about you.

I haven't written up any documentation yet so once the documentation is available it will be easier to understand and use.

... oh and regarding that VNC. Be sure that someone sooner or later will try to bruteforce it. Why do I need to change my SSH port and use SSH-keys when there is such a amazing backdoor to my system "protected" with 10 characters password made of numbers and small letters.

>

Are you suggesting we remove console access? How would clients install their OS? I'm open to alternative solutions but to my knowledge console access is both the most popular and the best solution. If you're concerned about security then the attacker would need to guess both the port and the password for your VNC console and even then they wouldn't have access to your VPS without your root password. Would you prefer if we let clients choose their own passwords?

Edit: Derp. Now my VM is still booting from .iso even if it's unmounted correctly (unmoun --> shutdown --> start). I don't even know what to say.. I'll just update my PM with new video ;___;

The problem is the "shutdown" button, it doesn't always work and it doesn't change the config for the VPS. I will update the wording in Wyvern to reflect this.

• RhysRhys Member, Host Rep

There should be a way to disable the VNC access for security's sake or even just being able to change the password.

Spamming "Grant IP Access to API" causes this and also freezes whmcs from the looks of it: https://i.hatethe.uk/yEYs9VRKKILC.png. Pressing any of the delete buttons removes them all

• WSSWSS Member

@KuJoe said:
    Are you suggesting we remove console access? How would clients install their OS? I'm open to alternative solutions but to my knowledge console access is both the most popular and the best solution. If you're concerned about security then the attacker would need to guess both the port and the password for your VNC console and even then they wouldn't have access to your VPS without your root password. Would you prefer if we let clients choose their own passwords?

Make console access a Boolean checkbox. If unchecked, bind to same port, localhost.

Also sorry for my lack of response today, I'm flying out of town tomorrow so I've been trying to fix as many issues as I could in development before pushing an update out tonight.

I'm also banging my head over the BSD issues, I'll keep investigating and try to figure it out. I'm glad I put this beta together because it's uncovering a lot of issues I didn't encounter in development, it'll be staying in beta as long as needed so I might be opening up some more slots to get more eyes in there. :)

• WSSWSS Member

There's something wrong with your qemu, Joe. There's no other way to put it. It needs to be reverted, rebuilt- something. :)