Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kimsufi KS-3C is in stock again - Page 16
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Kimsufi KS-3C is in stock again

Comments

• Any suggestions for working windows templates to be used on i5 w 16gb rams? Its been a long time I used something from oodle. Thanks!

• WSSWSS Member

@willie said:
    There must have been a heck of a lot of them released when this thread started--it sounds like they were available for a while?

Someone posted earlier in the thread that someone who was using them decided to let them all go due to being pissed at OVH. There were several hundred servers dropped.

http://abcdusercontent.com/abcd.bz/ABCDTeam_OVH_20150euro.html

• Wow, that might explain the upswing in Hetzner auction server prices too. I mean what happens if you browse to hetzner.de and try to order 750 servers? Can you tell how many of those cancelled servers were KS3C's? And I wonder if that guy expects Hetzner to not also cancel servers used for phishing, lol.

• willie said: Can you tell how many of those cancelled servers were KS3C's?

Given the prices in the site there i think 100

• WSSWSS Member

@willie said:
    Wow, that might explain the upswing in Hetzner auction server prices too.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one to say '£40.. for that!?'

• FalzoFalzo Member

@WSS said:

@willie said:
    There must have been a heck of a lot of them released when this thread started--it sounds like they were available for a while?

Someone posted earlier in the thread that someone who was using them decided to let them all go due to being pissed at OVH. There were several hundred servers dropped.

http://abcdusercontent.com/abcd.bz/ABCDTeam_OVH_20150euro.html

and OVH gave a fucking shit about, just dropped all boxes back into the system again and they were gone after only some hours. setup fee to regain some costs and don't care about the rest...

so after all even a client with some hundreds of their cheap-boxes going to cancel won't have much of their interest. which leaves us at revenue != margin. those products are there to generate traction and hopefully make customers grow and increase their spending on products OVH some times earns from.

My guess would be more likely they are lucky someone blocking that amount of their marketing machines finally let go of them... retaliation went wrong. ;-)

Thanked by 1WSS
  • Falzo said: and OVH gave a fucking shit about, just dropped all boxes back into the system again and they were gone after only some hours. setup fee to regain some costs and don't care about the rest...

Why did they pawn them off at those promo prices if people were willing to pay more for them? They list them now at 17 euro which fits into their overall range.

• FalzoFalzo Member

willie said: Why did they pawn them off at those promo prices if people were willing to pay more for them?

one can only guess... marketing budget.

I do believe those servers are planned for marketing and to attract customers and it just stays that way. good for them to have the opportunity again to have some new clients to try their services out... or something like that.

they simply don't care about single servers or euros. they most probably think in bigger bunches and budgets. so if they decide to invest one million into cheap boxes to have user play with, their interest would be to have as much people as possible to play around and hopefully generate traction with this.

I think they don't really care about revenue or even margin on those. the money is more likely some kind of low barrier against fraud or whatever.

• Falzo said: one can only guess... marketing budget.

But were there any quantity limits for buyers? Any attempt to entice new customers? I wonder if they just got a bunch of LET cheapskates and opportunistic resellers ;).

• FalzoFalzo Member

@willie said:

Falzo said: one can only guess... marketing budget.

But were there any quantity limits for buyers? Any attempt to entice new customers? I wonder if they just got a bunch of LET cheapskates and opportunistic resellers ;).

I see your point, but they probably rely heavily on automation in all this processes.

filter manually will involve too much work as does limiting. people will try to circumvent anyways.

I imagine something like one person/higher department decides: let's do a flash sale to attract customers, do we get a budget? yes. how big is it? big. okay, let's produce 2000 boxes.

/presses some buttons/ -> lower departments like purchase or production begin to work. after the boxes are produced and racked marketing does a campaign.

after the boxes are first sold everyone forgets about and they become part of the matrix, doomed to run as they are til the rest of their lifespan. set and forget.

chance to resale of cancelled servers during the lifespan only adds to the attraction, as it ends in a race... some kind of viral marketing with all that monitoring scripts and such to get one of that precious thingies.

after six month or a year some people higher up might run some statistics on the numbers of clients, conversion rate, traffic, abuse, hardware performance and maybe even ROI ...

• Falzo said: filter manually will involve too much work as does limiting. people will try to circumvent anyways.

I'd expect they can automate the usual cases. "One per customer" isn't rocket science. As another example, Vultr limits its new $2.50/m servers to 2 per customer.

• plumberg said: Any suggestions for working windows templates to be used on i5 w 16gb rams? Its been a long time I used something from oodle. Thanks!

If you want Windows Server 2012 R2, you can use my template:
    wget -O- ‘http://images.myhken.com/KS2012R21new.gz’ | gunzip | dd of=/dev/sda

Username: Administrator Password: Password147

Just to remember that you change the password right away after you get RDC access. I have tested it and it only takes less then a hour before someone have access if you keep the old password.

Windows Server 2016 is not working on Kimsufi because the network card.

• Vova1234Vova1234 Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 2017

@willie said:
    And I wonder if that guy expects Hetzner to not also cancel servers used for phishing, lol.

It should have been for the cloud.
    Personally, I have never dealt with phishing. And Me blocked the account through which the customer bought through my server IP and drove in SpamHaus. But that's another story.

I mean what happens if you browse to hetzner.de and try to order 750 servers?

Hetzner called and offered a 50% discount on the installation, as long as it is not bought older tariffs are without installation bundles.

We are resellers in the CIS. Created 40 hosting sites in the CIS and through OVH servers sold. OVH even made donate 2,500 euros for the creation of site RU: http://hostsuki.info/post/43309029414/

These i5, 750 servers were supposed to be under a cloud. But their anti-DDoS blocked clean requests. https://hostsuki.pro/pro/bolshaya-rasprodazha-kimsufi.html
    The document list of google docs full servers. kimsufi.sale even registered the domain to sell some. kimsufi.sale domain took OVH and issued to the employee of his.

after six month or a year some people higher up might run some statistics on the numbers of clients, conversion rate, traffic, abuse, hardware performance and maybe even ROI ...

We write statistics. And abuse and server performance too. Even all the statistics about the DDoS on different DC.

• WSSWSS Member

@Vova1234 said:

Sorry they treated you poorly; thanks for the machines, though! :)

• @rm_ said:

Dextronox said: Did anyone else get a i5-3570S cpu? Seems to be almost equivalent to the i5-2400.

3570S is up to 20% faster than 2400.

lucky... got i5-3570S CPU, 1.5 years ago :D

[root@KSF:~] # dd if=/dev/zero bs=1M count=2048 | md5sum
    2048+0 records in
    2048+0 records out
    2147483648 bytes (2.1 GB) copied, 3.47068 s, 619 MB/s
    a981130cf2b7e09f4686dc273cf7187e  -
    [root@KSF:~] # grep i5-3570S /proc/cpuinfo 
    model name  : Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570S CPU @ 3.10GHz
    [root@KSF:~] # smartctl -A /dev/sda | grep Power_On_Hours
      9 Power_On_Hours          0x0012   098   098   000    Old_age   Always       -       15359
    [root@KSF:~] # 

• dgprasetya said: lucky... got i5-3570S CPU, 1.5 years ago :D

with a 3 month old HDD to start as well.

• @Vova1234 said:

so this offer was available because you canceled bulk servers, right?

i wonder if kimsufi will offer ks3c special again in the future...

• williewillie Member
    edited March 2017

WSS said: It's no 3C, but those are going to be few and far between. It's still a viable option for someone who wants 1TB storage, and doesn't want to share it with others.

The Online SC 2016 is a readily available and slightly cheaper (9 euro/m) alternative if you don't mind the 20 euro setup fee.

• Vova1234Vova1234 Member, Patron Provider

didtav said: so this offer was available because you canceled bulk servers, right?

Yes. All data centers so when they go to wholesale customers to hundreds of servers.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited March 2017

didtav said: so this offer was available because you canceled bulk servers, right?

From the screenshots he posted he cancelled the servers back in November, so OVH held onto all of them until now, why? It was by a long shot not an instant sale right after cancellation, so it's hard to argue that cancellation was solely the reason for the sale.

• S3phyS3phy Member

@Vova1234 said:

Yes. All data centers so when they go to wholesale customers to hundreds of servers.

The server I got was on your list.

• Well damn. After all the tests i get this reply.

Our admins did not find any problems yet.
    Can you please reboot your server to rescue mode so they can check that issue directly from your server?

• datanoisedatanoise Member
    edited March 2017

thharris said: Our admins did not find any problems yet.

Same for me, they don't find any problem. Weird as many of us experience this slow download speed.

They say they'll keep on investigating though.

• WSSWSS Member

There was a KS-1 briefly in France about 10 minutes ago.

• @WSS said:

If you're after a KS1, use check.ovh. Works like a charm.

• WSSWSS Member

@Saragoldfarb said:

@WSS said:

If you're after a KS1, use check.ovh. Works like a charm.

That's a good secondary resource for the automated checkers. I already have two running OBSD nameservers. Want to get rid of them soon, because the network is just a little bit too slow.

• TheXO said: Just got one, i5 / 16gigs ram, full 100mbps, RBX4

3570s or 2300?

• CoffeeBeansCoffeeBeans Member
    edited March 2017

@myhken said:

plumberg said: Any suggestions for working windows templates to be used on i5 w 16gb rams? Its been a long time I used something from oodle. Thanks!

If you want Windows Server 2012 R2, you can use my template:
    wget -O- ‘http://images.myhken.com/KS2012R21new.gz’ | gunzip | dd of=/dev/sda

Username: Administrator Password: Password147

Just to remember that you change the password right away after you get RDC access. I have tested it and it only takes less then a hour before someone have access if you keep the old password.

Windows Server 2016 is not working on Kimsufi because the network card.

>

It is possible to install server 2016 on Kimsufi. You just need to create your own template and install the correct network drivers. I'm currently running server 2016 on the i5 w 16gb ram I got.

• myhkenmyhken Member
    edited March 2017

@CoffeeBeans what driver did you use? A link?
    So I can update my 2016 template for KS.

There are really no Server 2016 driver for Intel 82579V NIC that are used in the i5 servers.
    I have tried the different drivers from this page:
    https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/52963/Intel-82579V-Gigabit-Ethernet-PHY

So either you have a link to another driver, or you are not telling the truth.

• Whoa whoa, deal of the month.. :)