Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

QualityServers Announcement - Page 7
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

QualityServers Announcement

Comments

• I thought so. Thank you.

• Any news from the datacenter?

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited January 2012

@Boeri said: Any news from the datacenter?

I would try with another prediction but it would most likely piss off @jtodd so I will keep it for myself with honest hope that he don't just delaying from beginning... and you will get your data back.

• @jtodd I noticed your email concerning about creating the images for the customers to download. I don't know whether you are giving them the raw vmdk files, loopback files or whatever format the system uses. Some of the customers may not be very knowledgeable, so it may be better to mount the images first and copy the files into a regular tar.gz archive and let them download those instead.

Just some advice here.

• Instructions for those who are unaware would probably be more preferable.

I imagine that mounting each image and tarballing everything, even if scripted, would take a not inconsiderable amount of time.

• "A quick update for customers on XM11:
    We've been unable to boot the server into a Xen kernel so we are creating image files which should be ready to download at some point tomorrow assuming all goes well. More details to follow.

Refund requests:
    We should be able to start on these tomorrow - I'm not sure how long these will take to complete exactly as new requests are coming in every day and Paypal is very slow. Also our priority is providing backups to XM11 customers and helping new UKCloud customers move over. I'm going to aim to get as many as possible done by Friday.

Many thanks"

• Instructions for those who are unaware would probably be more preferable.

This is probably the relevant info:

http://old-list-archives.xen.org/archives/html/xen-users/2011-01/msg00249.html

• Oh, and thanks for your efforts jtodd - appreciated! :)

• TaylorTaylor Member
    edited January 2012

"Dear Client

If you had data on the XM11 server, now is the time to retrieve it. Instructions as below:

The image files are copies of your logical volume. If you are moving to a Xen VPS with another provider, it will be easiest to provide them with your individual link and have them restore your data onto a new VPS. If not, you will need to download your image file and mount it.

To get your download link, you will need your hostname from the old server as in SolusVM and use it as follows:

http://31.193.8.207:90/xm11/

So if your hostname is server.domain.com, your link would be http://31.193.8.207:90/xm11/server.domain.com

Be aware that these files are very large (up to 100GB each) and might take some time to download. To save time you can wget them to another server.

We will keep these links active until 31/01."

• @jtodd said: We do have cash in the bank for refunds if that's what you're asking.

Are you sure, bro?

@jtodd said: Are you even a customer? If you are, why can;t you just take your refund and find another host?

Cuz you're broke?

• @Taylor said: If you had data on the XM11 server, now is the time to retrieve it. Instructions as below:

If I am reading this correctly, anyone could download anyone else's complete VM?

• @Joel if you know or guess server.domain.com then yes. People with example.com and similar, oh gosh... :S

• @Taylor said: So if your hostname is server.domain.com, your link would be http://31.193.8.207:90/xm11/server.domain.com

Hostnames aren't a unique-only field in either WHMCS or Solus... and if left blank (like quite a few folks do), then it defaults to something like 'server.buyvm.net'. Makes me wonder how many VMs with duplicate hostnames are gone for good now.

• @Joel

Just had another email

"Dear Client,

We've had some tickets from concerned clients about their data being grabbed by other people who have guessed their hostname. Whilst I think this is an extremely unlikely scenario given there are no obvious or duplicate hostnames, I have updated the files as follows:

[hostname].img has become:
    [vmid]-[hostname].img

The vmid can be found in SolusVM and looks something like vm100 or vm250 etc. Also feel free to request that your file be deleted after you have dowloaded it.

Many thanks"

• Anyone had a refund yet?

• Not that I know. Last timeframe was "we will be dealing with these as of Wednesday and will aim to complete all of the requests already submitted by Friday" - which means tomorrow. We will see...

• I think the refund should include January, otherwise now I'm paying for 2 VPS's as I had to get a new VPS for when you pull the plug.

So stop saying 'whats the big deal, just get a refund'.

This has been a total scam.

Thanked by 3tux Gary Heinz
  • Not that fussed about a refund but the link to download my image (either first or second variation) doesn't work for me.. ffs how hard is it to actually provide a working link. I've pretty much no faith left in the competence of this operation. Fortunately as a moderator of a hosting forum elsewhere I'll be able to warn others when necessary about current and future iterations of raincloud

• @StolenToaster said: Anyone had a refund yet?

He said monday. Then wednesday to friday. And friday is almost over in UK.

• This is going out in today's batch. Please contact us if you do not receive your refund by Monday.

I'll post back when I get it.

• @Gary said: I'll post back when I get it.

I doubt that this went out yesterday in batch. Infact I doubt that anyone got refund at all.

• Hmm, some pretty dodgy refunding going on.

Refusing to refund a payment taken on the 8th of January, xm11 went down on the 6th.

• Did anyone get refund from http://www.theukcloud.com/ yet? Looks like a total scum.

• @apollo15 said: Did anyone get refund from http://www.theukcloud.com/ yet? Looks like a total scum.

I think he had a lot of customers, so give him time to complete the refunds.

• On the plus side, you can buy an Armani Jacket from TheUKCloud right here.

PS: You can now bid on a genuine Quality Servers server here, no more BuyItNow prices!

Good luck to all bidders, and if you are the winning Bidder why not ask to have your VM left on the server? Save you downloading it ;)

Regards,

Joel

• @Joel said: On the plus side, you can buy an Armani Jacket from TheUKCloud right here.

LOL, he really needs cash.

• "You've been outbid. Don't let it get away - bid again!"

sigh

I can see an angry x customer biding on all of the items and not paying.

• @Aidy said: Refusing to refund a payment taken on the 8th of January, xm11 went down on the 6th.

Same - Just go though paypal - Got a refund in < 12 hours

• come on, buy that jacket from theukcloud someone dont you see they need funds badly??? They cant pay next colo bill, let alone refunding.

• Now that I've calmed down, and I've still not received a refund but, let me explain why I think this is a particular bad move by @jtodd.

I am inexcusably a geek and I am normally hired for being such, in my current role I am responsible for the Infrastructure of several companies in a consultant role and I have two start ups of my own I'm trying to make a success of. So while I mess about with dev boxs/back up boxs/scm servers/etc on LEBs and every now and then I setup backup email servers (and other bits) on LEBs I've found stable for real customers. I ultimately have the power to put a lot of business in the direction of a provider.

However, for professional things I tend to use mid to high end providers and TheUKCloud seems to be targeted as a mid range "IaaS" and I have plenty of experience in this area and I can honestly say I would recommend any company I work with to stay well clear not because I think they have poor service or anything because it's clear that @JTodd has no business planning ability and he could at anytime kill a service they use and as a consultant I live and die my reputation so why would I use a service I don't trust?

Mr Todd maybe thinking "whatever" but I suspect that a large number of members (who aren't hosting business owners might be similar) so I see it as a serious dent in the reputation of a new business targeted at mid-high range.