Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

QualityServers Announcement - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

QualityServers Announcement

Comments

• trbtrb Member
    edited January 2012

Kudos to @jtodd for being honest.

From past dealings with QS, I highly doubt there is some form of conspiracy here on the scale that folks are making out to exist. Some people in this thread are neglecting the fact that we exist in a capitalist society and have to accept the consequences of a free market.

Those who are winging at this should be happy that QS haven't gone belly up, that they're being offered pro-rated refunds or a migration and have been treated (from my perspective) honestly. As others have already said, it was this or the potential for more failing hardware, potential losses and possible dead pool. I know which one I'd choose.

I concur with @gary on the quality of service received and understand why some people might be annoyed at having now to deal with LEB providers which aren't as well managed.

/2cts

• I'm confused after reading this entire thread.

Customers VPSs are getting switched off unless they store them in water vapour?

To be honest, in my humble opinion, this isn't a very good decision. Cloud isn't the future because Cloud is already here, Cloud is just another word for internet,

And in true, it is a marketing scam. An BBC article recently said "Does not send any data to the cloud or internet", which in my opinion made me throw up that people are believing that its something different.

• @Daniel said: To be honest, in my humble opinion,

To be honest, your post reads like a pile of unrelated crap. If you want to go debate what is and isn't cloud start a new topic.

@Daniel said: which in my opinion made me throw up

You will throw up even more when you find out providers aren't really setting your data alight when they put it through a "firewall." Maybe the BBC can run that as a doco as well.

• @Joel said: @Daniel said: To be honest, in my humble opinion,

To be honest, your post reads like a pile of unrelated crap. If you want to go debate what is and isn't cloud start a new topic.

@Daniel said: which in my opinion made me throw up

You will throw up even more when you find out providers aren't really setting your data alight when they put it through a "firewall." Maybe the BBC can run that as a doco as well.

I'm just stating how it looks like current customers are being abandoned unless they move to the "cloud"

• jhjh Member

@Gary said: I'm annoyed because the service I got from QS was great, and for a great price, and now I'm going to have to find another provider in the same price range that isn't shit and allows IRC.

Vooservers :)

@Daniel said: Cloud is just another word for internet,

Let's just call it a high availability VPS then :)

@Daniel said: I'm just stating how it looks like current customers are being abandoned unless they move to the "cloud"

We are trying to help as much as we can for the record, but resources are pushed to the limit right now.

• GaryGary Member
    edited January 2012

@ jtodd - vooservers seem too expensive/overspecced for what I need. Their last offer is:

128MB memory/256MB swap
    10GB storage
    400GB/month data transfer
    1x IPv4 + 10x IPv6
    Xen/SolusVM

For £2.70/month. I'd be wasting 9GB of storage and 350GB+ of transfer. And it has twice as much ram as I need. :/ The important VPS I need to replace is:

2GB Disk
    100MB RAM + 100MB VSWAP
    100GB Bandwidth
    1 IP

for £10/year. Even that VPS is overpowered for what I need. I'd need something in that price range.

£1.50/month tops, 1GB storage, 64MB ram, 25GB transfer, irc allowed.

Super low spec, and a price to match. Anyone got suggestions?

• @Daniel said: Cloud is already here, Cloud is just another word for internet

Network engineers I worked with in the late 1990s, early 2000s used "cloud" to mean just that -- the internet (outside / connected to a particular network). A popular network diagramming application at the time even had a nice fluffy 'cloud' graphic to use for it (sorry, I forget the name of the app.)

But times change....

• jhjh Member

Contact Vooservers - they should be able to accomodate. I think given your needs they're probably best.

• @Gary said: Anyone got suggestions?

Check out miniVPS. That offer is still good, I'm moving my two QuickVPS servers over to them. I now have three VPSs (OpenVZ) with them and my experience has been very good so far.

• @Daniel said: I'm just stating how it looks like current customers are being abandoned unless they move to the "cloud"

No, you were being a troll...

@Daniel said: Customers VPSs are getting switched off unless they store them in water vapour?

@Daniel said: And in true, it is a marketing scam. An BBC article recently said

... go start a new thread if you want to debate "Cloud." This is not the place.

@Gary said: Super low spec, and a price to match. Anyone got suggestions?

@Gary, i've had great service from Stewart at http://www.onepoundwebhosting.co.uk

The nodes aren't the latest and greatest, but the service has been rock solid. I approached him for a custom package and he was more than happy to oblige. Shoot a ticket and see how you fair, can't guarantee you will get it as low as you want. You may need to jump over to the US or EU for that however I'm absolutely happy with his service.

Regards,

Joel

• @Joel said: No, you were being a troll...

Gotta be one to know one.

• jhjh Member
    edited January 2012

If I can just throw in a word here - please be careful who you choose. I'm not trying to bash any one provider here but a lot of the providers on LEB have far less resources than we do as a company for when things go wrong, that's one of the reasons I recommended the providers that I did, knowing the owners personally and knowing they run a tight ship.

• @Daniel said: Gotta be one to know one.

Wow, you get that off the BBC as well?

• My advice, for dmbhosting as a cheap alternative. They still have the 99p/month 64mb ram plan as well @gary

• @titanicsaled said: My advice, for dmbhosting as a cheap alternative. They still have the 99p/month 64mb ram plan as well @gary

Yes, and:

@Gary said: irc allowed.

No

• Dumb question I'm afraid, but as a relative newbie with VPS, what is the path of least resistance to getting a roughly equivalent setup between providers. I don't really want to spend hours looking at scripts and manuals again. Is it keeping the same OS and copying config and content files, or is there a better way?

• jhjh Member

@yomero said: @Gary said: irc allowed.

No

Speak to Daimon about it if DMBHosting looks good to you. At the end of the day he's on our network and we allow IRC.

• @stevo said: Is it keeping the same OS and copying config and content files, or is there a better way?

I use the same OS (Debian), have a few custom deploy scripts and keep everything versioned with git. Might wanna give something like chef a look if you're planning on a larger setup. I only have a handful of cheapo VPSs (1xBuyVM, 1xYourVZ and 3xminiVPS) so the manual copy-paste method suffices for my needs :).

• Thanks @DaddyCheeseHosting, already tried that one and it doesn't recognise any of the email addresses/usernames I had with quality servers.

Guess I'll have to email.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited January 2012

@Gary I like vooservers and evorack very much. Both hosts are stable, reliable and highly recommended (I simply love them!) ... DMBHosting is also ok. But imho. no LEB featured host can be match with xenvz.co.uk stability.

http://www.lowendbox.com/blog/xenvz-1-30-128mb-xen-vps-in-uk/ - £1.30 128MB Xen VPS in UK

My XenVZ bouncer stay connected to IRC easily +150 days and VPSs have maybe one short downtime yearly (but as FAQ suggest, let them know about IRC usage).

• Its sad to see QualityServers go when they say they were going to stay. But things happen specially on this LEB market (not every host is able to keep their numbers with these kind of prices).

On a good side, they're announcing their withdrawal from the market and will do refunds.

Now what worry's me, mostly they have been filled with tickets and they have little time to read them correctly.

@jtodd if you read this, how will you handle all the transfered VPS between private parties?

The best of luck to jtodd and will search for a new uk host.

• @yomero said: @titanicsaled said: My advice, for dmbhosting as a cheap alternative. They still have the 99p/month 64mb ram plan as well @gary

Yes, and:

@Gary said: irc allowed.

No

According to that, irc is allowed.

• @Steve81 said: According to that, irc is allowed.

Heh, it seems, for private use :P

• any updates on xm11? thanks!

• There's a great opportunity here for ex Quality Servers customers to buy the hardware back ;)

• jhjh Member

@Boeri said: any updates on xm11? thanks!

I've had Dan working on it today with no luck. I'll have another go myself in an hour or so, it's not looking good though.

• jhjh Member

@thekreek said: @jtodd if you read this, how will you handle all the transfered VPS between private parties?

We only have a couple of these so I'll deal with them case by case.

• JoelJoel Member
    edited January 2012

@jtodd said: I've had Dan working on it today with no luck. I'll have another go myself in an hour or so, it's not looking good though.

James, which one is xm11, so people know which to avoid purchasing ;)
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/james.todd12/m.html?hash=item45ffeef745&item=300646594373&pt=UK_Computing_Networking_SM&_trksid=p4340.l2562

• jhjh Member
    edited January 2012

It's one of the SR1550 servers with 32GB RAM. I might end up taking them to pieces and just selling the RAM and CPUs as they're fine and make up the value, whereas the disks and controllers really need to be replaced.

Although we have about 6 disks per node and hard drive prices being what they are...

• DeorDeor Member
    edited January 2012

@Basil said: Thanks @DaddyCheeseHosting, already tried that one and it doesn't recognise any of the email addresses/usernames I had with quality servers.

So you either didnt read or didnt get the email James sent out a couple of months ago about changing the ticket & billing system? Email addresses were ported over the passwords were not so you need to just request a password reset with whatever email you used before.