Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

QualityServers Announcement - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

QualityServers Announcement

Comments

• Well, this is a bummer and a pain. I'd encourage everyone to take @Aldryic's advice. This just hit and I bet James is up to his ears trying to sort things out so give the man some space :). At the end of the day, all I'd request is a refund for the remaining period (which has already been promised) and a chance to salvage my data on XM11 (which is in the works). Everything else is just conspiracy theories about how one man chose to run his company ;).

• @Spirit said: But he opened new Qualityservers special yearly prapaid deals at LET only days before he terminated Qualityservers brand. Where is honesty in that?

He took your money a few days before he terminated the brand. He obviously did this because he wanted the massive headache of answering 2000+ tickets on the matter, deal with a load of flack here and issue a swarm of refunds, in addition to doing migrations to the cloud and take a huge hit to his reputation.

He's offered you a refund, take it, grumble (already done.. a lot) and move on.

• I have to say as an existing customer that this is a pretty big disappointment. Credit to jtodd for offering a refund and time to migrate properly, that is at least a saving grace.

However for things to have gotten to this stage in the first place is just bad management and I won't be doing business with The UK Cloud after this since I simply don't trust them to last as a business. I already lost data and business when one of the nodes died a couple of weeks back and I had downtime.

Really I think there should have been an effort to keep a few of the servers running for longer and I find it hard to believe the quoted costs to replace hardware.

I don't consider this a scam, but it is certainly a big massive warning flag for anyone considering The UK Cloud.

Oh and FWIW, I also use BHost and found the performance to be excellent for the money. I will probably migrate my remaining nodes to them

• Do you remember the song - "When the going gets tough the tough get going" This is the situation you are in now, and at the end of the day hardware always fails. I was surprised when you said you had you had no backups to recover from when your RAID system went down.

IT involves 2 main things - 1. Reliable hardware, 2. recovery procedures. The first one depends on luck, testing and good recommendations and deep pockets to an extent if you need redundancy, but there are no guarantees.

The latter is ENTIRELY down to you. I can understand that with the thin margins in LEB problem hardware will result in support costs which can make the business untenable. At least you are honest about it and determined to make amends. I suppose that if UKCloud uses better hardware with better redundancy it may be better, but your rep will seriously be on the line if things go down there as well.

Anyway I am looking forward to my refund and wish you the best with UKCloud. Perhaps one day you will have the nous and the hardware to revive Quality Servers

• @BHost

So your intuition told you that spamming on another providers thread would be ok? Seriously dont play the dumb card, its obvious what you want to acheive and i think its disgusting.

• @VMPort what? To increase own customer base from screwed up qualityservers UKCloud customers? Most of you are doing this that or anyother way at LET and LEB most of the time anyway :) You didn't comment your buddy jtodd when he shamelessly opened advertising thread at LET every few days to increase customer base right before he terminated qualityservers...

• rchurchrchurch Member
    edited January 2012

@VMPort Didn't BHost call his post a shameless plug the first time around? At the very least he is honest about it. If more of us put @VMPost, @VMPost in our posts (pardon the pun) you will also get more airtime. LOL

Did I put VMPost? I meant VMPort

• @Heinz While I don't like how @jtodd dropped the vps line (but I'm not a customer of him, so I'll keep my opinions for myself), he offered quality servers vps only until november (at least looking his discussions page)

@rchurch Whenever you'll do something wrong, isn't enought to alert about that, to justify you: IMO, @BHost wasn't honest, just an opportunist.

• zaheerlebzaheerleb Member
    edited January 2012

my experience with quality servers has been ok for stability and uptime, even though james wouldn't upload a trixbox template on a 'fully managed' plan. I thought that is what 'fully managed' meant but james said I misunderstood 'fully managed'. I think he was just too busy to do it and I can understand it as it is a 2 man 1 woman team running it all. It's not cost effective for me to use the cloud servcies, so I'll be happy when I get my money back. I've opened a ticket :-)

• @Heinz

Sorry but those two examples are completely different. Posting a genuine offer (At the time) which he is well within his rights to do (Per forum rules) and poaching customers from another providers announcement thread are worlds apart from eachother.

Thats like the rest of us (Providers) going round everybody else's offer threads and putting "No.. contact us we can give you a better deal" im sure @LowEndAdmin wouldn't let that slip, so what makes this any different.

• jhjh Member

@VMPort said: Thats like the rest of us (Providers) going round everybody else's offer threads and putting "No.. contact us we can give you a better deal" im sure @LowEndAdmin wouldn't let that slip, so what makes this any different.

It's definitely crass but to be fair they're not really my customers any more, so I'm not at a loss.

• I know you must be fed up with people asking now, but how's xm11 looking?

• jhjh Member

@Aidy said: I know you must be fed up with people asking now, but how's xm11 looking?

Kernel panics anytime I use any Xen kernel, but it's fine with a standard one. I haven't seen this before so I'm doing some research.

• @jtodd Does this mean that my free VPS won here will be deleted?

• jhjh Member

@Jeffrey said: @jtodd Does this mean that my free VPS won here will be deleted?

You won a free VPS?

• Oh, WOOPS! I confused you with dreamservers.uk.com for a second, sorry. Forget that.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@Reetus said: Gah, I've going to have to spend my weekend migrating stuff to a new VPS.

Which provider to change to? buyvm has no stock.

Kazila and LoomHosts, excellent treat and no issues.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2012

@netomx said: Kazila and LoomHosts, excellent treat and no issues.

I swear we're talking about UK servers. Hmm.. I dunno.

• Cool - thanks for continuing to look at it. Can't be the ideal Friday night!

• I suppose at the very least the VM images will be available for data recovery?

• jhjh Member
    edited January 2012

@Aidy said: I suppose at the very least the VM images will be available for data recovery?

Worst case scenario is we upload image files and you download them and pass them onto your new host (which they'll hate you for unfortunately as they're a pain to do and a pain to restore).

I've really got no idea why we can't boot into a Xen kernel on this node :s Will probably need some more time to figure this out.

• @miTgiB said: @Aldryic said: when exactly do you folks plan to be satisfied that you've stated your opinion, move on, and let this man get back to work?

Seems that dead horse needs to be further beaten

"I am not dead yet
    No need to go to bed
    No need to call the doctor
    Cause I'm not yet dead."

• tuxtux Member
    edited January 2012

@Reetus said: Which provider to change to? buyvm has no stock.

I moving to somewhere.

• This is so funny...
    And at the same time... tl;dr

• So, where do I open my ticket?
    My bookmarked link to the support portal appears dead and it looks like @jtodd neglected to put one in the OP.

• @Basil said: So, where do I open my ticket?

My bookmarked link to the support portal appears dead and it looks like @jtodd neglected to put one in the OP.

Im guessing https://manage.theukcloud.com/

Thanked by 1karanchoo
  • zaheerlebzaheerleb Member
    edited January 2012

@jtodd said: Worst case scenario is we upload image files and you download them and pass them onto your new host (which they'll hate you for unfortunately as they're a pain to do and a pain to restore).

James, you didn't want to upload my trixbox template on a 'fully managed' plan. How many other LEB providers are going to want to do it on a LEB box?

• jhjh Member

@zaheerleb said: Is this why you didn't want to upload my xen trixbox template on your 'fully managed' plan?

So I did a command line install from scratch took me ages to set up correctly. Now I'll have to do that all over again!

I didn't do it because it would have taken about as long as it would take to install everything manually, and because our QS management was basically just for LAMP and cPanel.

I'm sorry but unfortunately you may have to redo your configuration, depending on where you move you. I believe there is on OnApp image for Trixbox if you move to UKCloud else another Xen VPS provider might be happy to do it for you.

• I would've thought the situation here was well-managed amongst low end hosts for getting shut down (and not being runners). Sure, selecting a new provider might be a pain in the ass, but you get your refund at the end of the day, why are you complaining?

• People are complaining because it's a pain to move providers, and James promised that QS would continue.

I'm annoyed because the service I got from QS was great, and for a great price, and now I'm going to have to find another provider in the same price range that isn't shit and allows IRC.