Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What college degree do you have? - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What college degree do you have?

Comments

• @taronyu said: But knowing these dumbasses are performing heart surgery... I think I prefer to cut in my own chest than someone like him.

lol. What pisses me off about medicine is us dumbasses unconditionally providing care to you people who are not appreciative of what we do. But regardless, we still try our "dumbest" so you smart people can live a healthy life to continue shitting on our "dumbass" profession.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@mpkossen said: Education is really important, though. Not the degree you get. It really helps you in life in general, gives you more time to grow, teaches you how to work with other people and gives you a broader view of the world. Note: that's my experience, I'm not saying it's necessarily true, but I believe in it. I wouldn't be who I was today if it hadn't been for my education and I always recommend people to take education after high school. Put aside the fact that it really helps on you resume.

education
          n 1: the activities of educating or instructing; activities that
               impart knowledge or skill; "he received no formal
               education"; "our instruction was carefully programmed";
               "good classroom teaching is seldom rewarded" [syn:
               {education}, {instruction}, {teaching}, {pedagogy},
               {didactics}, {educational activity}]
          2: knowledge acquired by learning and instruction; "it was clear
             that he had a very broad education"
          3: the gradual process of acquiring knowledge; "education is a
             preparation for life"; "a girl's education was less important
             than a boy's"
          4: the profession of teaching (especially at a school or college
             or university)
          5: the result of good upbringing (especially knowledge of
             correct social behavior); "a woman of breeding and
             refinement" [syn: {education}, {training}, {breeding}]
          6: the United States federal department that administers all
             federal programs dealing with education (including federal
             aid to educational institutions and students); created 1979
             [syn: {Department of Education}, {Education Department},
             {Education}]

Perhaps you were refering to 'formal education', rather than 'education' in general? It's not quite clear to me what you would mean, otherwise.

• @joepie91 said: Perhaps you were refering to 'formal education', rather than 'education' in general? It's not quite clear to me what you would mean, otherwise.

Like @marcm said, you're probably bored again, so you're gonna (please copy and paste the dictionary on 'go' here to explain to me it's not 'gonna') look for words to pick on or people to correct/to disagree with.

Apparently, you're the only one in need of me extending 'education' to 'formal education', but since even you got what I meant: why the hell did you post (other than the above)?

• xumitxumit Member
    edited May 2013

Currently doing my MBA ........

In finance.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@xumit said: In finance.

Gee, hi brotha :)

• BS in Accounting.

Going off to college in the late 90s probably saved me from jail, because I was having so much fun destroying friends' computers with BackOrifice, deleting win.com wherever I could, searching out info on black magic, hacking, etc. Was fun back in the 90s when the internet was pretty new. Probably wouldn't have gotten me anywhere good, though. :)

• user123user123 Member
    edited May 2013

Business degree, then MD. I still have a few years before I hit 30, but OMG I feel old.

• user123user123 Member

@seraphkz said: What pisses me off about medicine is us dumbasses unconditionally providing care to you people who are not appreciative of what we do. But regardless, we still try our "dumbest" so you smart people can live a healthy life to continue shitting on our "dumbass" profession.

Agreed. But, you forgot about the part where we get sued because the person survives instead of dies, as Darwinism would dictate.

• nutjobnutjob Member
    edited May 2013

Degrees are for pansies. Mostly for people who need to prove that they're capable, which suggests it's not manifest otherwise. LOL.

Obviously some professions require them, but I've don't have a degree and it's never been a problem getting programmer/analyst jobs.

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited May 2013

@nutjob said: Degrees are for pansies. Mostly for people who need to prove that they're capable, which suggests it's not manifest otherwise. LOL.

Try designing a bridge where it's failure could result in hundreds of deaths, or a failure in a dam analysis that resulted in your home being wiped away after a dam breaks, or just living without the major transportation highway networks (and each intersection is usually analyzed to make sure it minimizes the possibilities of crashes therefore preserving lives), or just making sure your house doesn't fail under its own weight or just a little bit of wind.

Or maybe someone who'll be leading your open-heart surgery without a proper license/education.

Sure someone without a degree could do this perfectly fine, but you're minimizing the risk by making sure/knowing that they do have a degree (therefore you know that they have some kind of competence). The entire concept behind education is having someone else teach you their methods or society's methods on tacking certain problems. This is in hopes that you minimize your own screw-ups and can further our society as a whole faster, without the needs of wasting time on screwing up on something someone else already did (and could have already... you know... avoided if you initially learned it).

Degrees are verification that you have learned from others who are considered professionals in their respective fields. Unless you're getting your degree from an unaccredited institution, because then it's up in the air.

tl;dr: RISK MANAGEMENT

• Degrees are for pansies.

The nickname of the sports teams at the college I graduated from (BA in Journalism). is the Violets :)

• taronyutaronyu Member

@Chronic said: Generalization at it's finest. You're more than welcome to cut yourself up based on a story you heard second-hand and may or may not be true. I could just as well give you a rundown quiz of the human anatomy and we'd see how you'd perform. We can then concur that everyone in your profession is dumb as well, right?

I apologize for taking this off-topic, but I can't help but cringe as I see the kind of attitude some people have towards a profession in which people quite literally toss several years of their life away in training in order to help society cheat death. Everyone can badmouth the stupid doctor who couldn't open a bucket of paint, but you never know when you're going to need them.

You are right, I said that wrong. I should have said that I prefer to cut into my own chest than let him do that. I'm not saying they are all the same.

@seraphkz said: lol. What pisses me off about medicine is us dumbasses unconditionally providing care to you people who are not appreciative of what we do. But regardless, we still try our "dumbest" so you smart people can live a healthy life to continue shitting on our "dumbass" profession.

I'm not the person that beleives everything can be healed by other people, nor the one that is happy with the medical care.

I do not say I don't want it, I just isn't going the way I think it should go

• @taronyu said: I'm not the person that beleives everything can be healed by other people, nor the one that is happy with the medical care.

I do not say I don't want it, I just isn't going the way I think it should go

You're talking about the health care system. Not the medical profession. Those are two totally different things.

• taronyutaronyu Member

yeah, but they are connected.

• @taronyu Isn't it correct that in the Netherlands if we don't go to college now due to any reason, after working several years in a certain field, we can take an examination for a degree as praktijk insinyur?

• @taronyu said: yeah, but they are connected.

They are not connected. Us medical students and physicians are just affected by the health care system as the patients/consumers.

• KrisKris Member
    edited May 2013

Associates in Business Admin - Plan on finishing things up towards a BS in Business Admin @ UC Denver.

Been working in the web hosting industry since 16, have always had to take the slower path in college, staying employed full-time

• IvanIvan Member

@Kris Nice, I hope to be part of/working in the web hosting industry when I reach 16.

• nutjobnutjob Member

@HalfEatenPie said: Try designing a bridge where it's failure could result in hundreds of deaths

Why don't you read (and quote) my second paragraph before you go off on your mindless rant?

• NexusNexus Member

Did like 6 classes in some community college, 200x easier than highschool, financial aid kicked me out because I apparently forgot to sign some papers claiming that I wasn't a fake. Got like 20 credits, not sure if I want to go back, but have to; sooner or later........

Why are we even alive QQ....

• PhilNDPhilND Member

I'm currently studying Business, Economics, Computing, and Maths at collge. I want to go to University and study Computer Science or Business.

• I'm currently studying Computer Engineering, and I haven't known when I'll graduate yet :/

• PatsPats Member

@HalfEatenPie said: BS in Civil Engineering - Water Resources. Going for my masters soon in Civil Engineering - Water Resources.

We study Hydraulics, Open Channel Flow, Wastewater Systems Management, Environmental Engineering, hell ask me anything about water and our modern infrastructure to provide water to most people and I'll know most answers.

Don't forget dam breach analysis and watershed analysis.

Everyone needs water :P

Agreed everyone needs water... even for making a pie.. :)

But apart from that what is this Water doing in your work? i remember you have quite a no. of VPS and few dedi's (mainly for client projects) + you're now Catalyst approved..
    I mean i feel your study-line & work-line seems to be on different lines :)

Now don't tell me ur Watering @jarland 's biz :P

• @HalfEatenPie Civil Engineering - Water Resources. Are you also dealing with Catalyst Altered Water? I know for sure you're with Catalyst Host :P

• I have a bachelor in electronic engineering , a master in computer science and a Ph.D in computer networks and security, what a waste of life.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@mpkossen said: Apparently, you're the only one in need of me extending 'education' to 'formal education', but since even you got what I meant: why the hell did you post (other than the above)?

Because one of the primary reasons for so many people talking out of their ass, is lack of understanding what words mean, or disinterest in using them correctly.

These things called words are a vital part of communication. Communication is a vital part of a healthy society. I think (and hope) you can complete the rest of the reasoning by yourself - I'd rather not write an extensive article about the importance of words and how they affect so many aspects of society, to only have some idiot respond to it with a random fallacy because they feel attacked.

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited May 2013

@nutjob said: Why don't you read (and quote) my second paragraph before you go off on your mindless rant?

@nutjob said: Obviously some professions require them, but I've don't have a degree and it's never been a problem getting programmer/analyst jobs.

Ehhh... I guess for programming jobs.

• @HalfEatenPie said: Then what are the professions you don't consider required by a degree? I consider most times the degrees are required

If i may chime in: Most computer related stuff like programming, networking or IT (fixing people's computers) doesn't require a degree from a university.

• orienorien Member
    edited May 2013

Try getting a Data Scientist job at any of the Silicon Valley tech companies without a college degree. Many require Masters degrees if not PhDs.

• @joepie91 said:
    Because one of the primary reasons for so many people talking out of their ass, is lack of understanding what words mean, or disinterest in using them correctly.

These things called words are a vital part of communication. Communication is a vital part of a healthy society. I think (and hope) you can complete the rest of the reasoning by yourself - I'd rather not write an extensive article about the importance of words and how they affect so many aspects of society, to only have some idiot respond to it with a random fallacy because they feel attacked.

OK, thanks. I was right then. You did only post because you were bored. And probably because you wanted to disagree with somebody again.

Any reason this couldn't have been done in the Cest Pit?