Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What college degree do you have? - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What college degree do you have?

Comments

• JacobJacob Member

I'm going for my cisco later in the year, if I cannot get it at college, then I'm going to pay for it.

@Intcs said: Then secondly for any relevant certificates such as certificates of Cisco

• LET drama is my daily stress relief during medical school :)

• pcanpcan Member

I have a master in Electronic Engineering; on my university this was a 6 years course. I switched career at 30, when I realized that almost all the fun stuff on electronic design is happening in Asia now.

@Ivan said: how many percent of whatever you've learnt you've found very useful and has helped you a lot in getting into the hosting industry?

5% maybe. But the real learning was the method to tackle and solve problems, and the personal enrichment about expanding knowledge on many disciplines not directly related to my choosen field of work.

@vRozenSch00n said: nowadays many corporations accept IT as an integrated essential business function

I don't think so. Let's put the argument this way: how often, outside the ICT sector, the CEO has previously been the IT director? Even on IT companies, it often comes from sales or other functions. The corporate IT role is still very often a support role.

• @pcan said: the personal enrichment about expanding knowledge on many disciplines not directly related to my choosen field of work.

Yep. This is 100% true for me.

• RalliasRallias Member

Well... lets see... I graduate high school in 2 weeks... no college for me tho.

• IntcsIntcs Member
    edited May 2013

@Ivan said: @Intcs Thank you for the explanation. :) I guess experience and certificates are pretty much really important. All these things are kinda confusing, but at this time I'd just like to learn more, haha :P

IMHO, both are important but depends on the case after all, specifically in some IT areas knowledge and practical knowledge is very important, like if someone lets say has even two Masters degrees and both related directly to IT, but still doesn't have a clue of something essential for a job, then how can he proceed? Also you see some employees without a degree but were able to get a job and are studying a bachelor degree, in the other hand some gets a degree then finds how required is knowledge or practical experience in a field, then might work in getting it over time.

• orienorien Member

BA, Sociology from UC Berkeley

• 24khost24khost Member
    edited May 2013

Graduated #1 in my class at bullshit university. With a degree in fucking off a lot and getting huge student loans.

• ChronicChronic Member

@seraphkz said: LET drama is my daily stress relief during medical school :)

Currently working on my MBChB as well.

• This comment was removed by the United States Government

• bobbybobby Member

MSC, Computer Science.

Experience is invaluable, but education makes it easier to get "in".

• @pcan said: The corporate IT role is still very often a support role.

That's true to some extent and IMHO it depends on the Corporate Governance policy of a company.

At my place of work (a financial institution), before the merger, our IT holds a major role as we are going towards paperless transactions and we also have to comply with certain international standards such as Basel II and PCI DSS, etc. At that time the CEO was a technology savvy guy.

Unfortunately after the merger the policy changed, the IT director replaced by a non technology savvy gal, and surprise surprise you are right, the role drastically changed, and we are back to the support role. Furthermore, in order to pursue "efficiency", the company even terminated several monitoring tools and forced to use a core technology that is a decade older than what we used before. ;)

• ranieranie Member

BS physics, BS computer science, MS informations sciences

• libro22libro22 Member

@jcaleb yes, you got that right :)

• jcalebjcaleb Member

@libro22 said: @jcaleb yes, you got that right :)

@libro22 only DLSU have that, as far as i know. we have the same course and specialization bro.

• djvdorpdjvdorp Member

Bachelor of Computer Science

• PaulPaul Member

@jcaleb said: DLSU

Sulong Ateneo!

• taronyutaronyu Member

@joepie91 said: Neither does school-taught :)

I can remember a story a colleague of mine told, it wasn't a joke.

They once had a guy that was studying for heart surgeon, and as a job beside his training he was helping in a big event hall. The walkways are always painted white before it starts. That was his job, the first time he came there he couldn't get the bucket open. So he asked, he told him he had to turn around the bucket, put his feet on the lid, and pull the bucket up. Not knowing he was that stupid he did it. 30 litres of white paint all over the floor....

Dumbass.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@taronyu said: I can remember a story a colleague of mine told, it wasn't a joke.

They once had a guy that was studying for heart surgeon, and as a job beside his training he was helping in a big event hall. The walkways are always painted white before it starts. That was his job, the first time he came there he couldn't get the bucket open. So he asked, he told him he had to turn around the bucket, put his feet on the lid, and pull the bucket up. Not knowing he was that stupid he did it. 30 litres of white paint all over the floor....

Dumbass.

Well, hey, at least the walkway was painted white! Not entirely as intended, but oh well...

• taronyutaronyu Member

@joepie91

Yeah xD

But knowing these dumbasses are performing heart surgery... I think I prefer to cut in my own chest than someone like him.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

This reminds me about a blonde joke:
    A blonde is hired to mark a small private road on the middle, you know, the dashed line.
    The manager tels her:

• It is an easy job, but there is a minimum limit, you should do at least 2 KM a day.
      Ok, the first day the blonde does 4 KM, the managed is pleased, second day does 2, well, she did the minimum, but the third only 1 km and he asks to see her.
      -Well ? What is wrong, you can work faster, why slow down so much ?
      -Sir, it is not my fault, the first day the paint bucket was closer, but as I go further, it takes longer and longer to reach it and the paint even dries on the way back...
  • jcalebjcaleb Member

@Paul said: Sulong Ateneo!

@Paul haha!

• mpkossenmpkossen Member
    edited May 2013

@Rallias said: no college for me tho.

Why not?

@taronyu said: But knowing these dumbasses are performing heart surgery... I think I prefer to cut in my own chest than someone like him.

It surprises me how stupid "smart" people can be when they are under pressure, or in general. I've seen extremely "smart" people getting an A+ on everything but literally not understanding the movie 'Dumb & Dumber' and "not-so-smart" people impress me all the time.

Education is really important, though. Not the degree you get. It really helps you in life in general, gives you more time to grow, teaches you how to work with other people and gives you a broader view of the world. Note: that's my experience, I'm not saying it's necessarily true, but I believe in it. I wouldn't be who I was today if it hadn't been for my education and I always recommend people to take education after high school. Put aside the fact that it really helps on you resume.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited May 2013

None, take that.
    Simply not really required for most things in Europe.

• mnpeepmnpeep Member
    edited May 2013

Masters Degree of Professional Drama from the University of LowEnd.

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited May 2013

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@HalfEatenPie said: I personally love Civil Engineering a ton and wouldn't really change it for the world right now.

Great! To be perfectly honest it sounds like something I wouldn't mind doing, I don't really want to be stuck in an office on the computer all day. :-)

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited May 2013

@Infinity said: Great! To be perfectly honest it sounds like something I wouldn't mind doing, I don't really want to be stuck in an office on the computer all day. :-)

Yep! Obviously it depends on which discipline you choose (Structures, Transportation, Water Resources, Environmental, Construction Management, etc.) but majority of them involves working outside. Also, right out of college you can usually get a pretty nice paying job (from my knowledge in the USA). My roommate got a 70k/year starting salary + bonus and benefits (straight out of college).

• bizzardbizzard Member

I received my Bachelor degree in Computer Science in 2011. Had plans to go for masters, but got a good team and started off a company :)

• ChronicChronic Member
    edited May 2013

@taronyu said: But knowing these dumbasses are performing heart surgery... I think I prefer to cut in my own chest than someone like him.

Generalization at it's finest. You're more than welcome to cut yourself up based on a story you heard second-hand and may or may not be true. I could just as well give you a rundown quiz of the human anatomy and we'd see how you'd perform. We can then concur that everyone in your profession is dumb as well, right?

I apologize for taking this off-topic, but I can't help but cringe as I see the kind of attitude some people have towards a profession in which people quite literally toss several years of their life away in training in order to help society cheat death. Everyone can badmouth the stupid doctor who couldn't open a bucket of paint, but you never know when you're going to need them.