Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What college degree do you have?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What college degree do you have?

IvanIvan Member
edited May 2013 in General

Just out of curiosity, what college degree do you guys have? (BS, MS?)
I guess a Bachelor or Master of Science in Information Technology would be the best for getting a job in systems engineering/administrating.

Comments

• jhjh Member

So far 2 unfinished degrees and another 5 years to go (for a doctorate)

• Meer Uitgebreid Lager Onderwijs

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited May 2013

I have a degree in Investment Banking.

• School is for losers.

I rather be a free american and live free under a bridge. The gov has been tracking me for everything I know.

• bigcatbigcat Member

@Ivan said: Just out of curiosity

Can I chime in with questions for degree-less people? :)

What kind of professional certificate do you have and what is your job?

• IvanIvan Member
    edited May 2013

@bigcat I'm a degree-less person because my age is currently below 18, hence I'm not in a college (yet) :P
    But yeah, I'm also curious towards what you just asked.

• AdducAdduc Member

With no degree (some college experience) and no certifications, I have a salaried position doing web development and some systems architecture at a mid-level business.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

Hopefully in 4-5 years - master in computer science or software engineering.

• I'm a Bachelor of ICT. I work as a devops engineer at a mid-level business.

• I almost finished 1st year in college doing ICT
    3 more years to go

• PaulPaul Member
    edited May 2013

Some business degree, with a major here and there, and some minor credits on information and computers. Looking back, it was just fun being in school.

But I always wanted to be an astronaut, a master chef, or the guy that pushes the red button to launch nuclear weapons.

Hmmm...life doesn't always give you what you want I guess.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

None.

Dropped out from high school (I think that's what it's called in English?) by choice, never looked back.

• Master of Science in Embedded Systems and Microrobotics and a Bachelor of Science in Computer Science.

Still don't know why you should need a degree for administration.
    Afaik you need "qualifications" like hundreds of microsoft certification courses for a typical administration job. For a systems engineer a degree is often helpful but not necessary.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited May 2013

@jevermeister said: Afaik you need "qualifications" like hundreds of microsoft certification courses for a typical administration job.

You dont need them, just the employer thinks you do.
    For example, I was not allowed to leave my job before the replacement came.
    Since they were cheap and didnt want to hire anyone on a decent wage, I got the one which had the most certifications and papers even tho didnt know anything practical and they agreed enthusiastically.
    Looking back I am sorry I did, the guy crumbled under pressure and is in hospital right now :(
    I never expected that...
    On topic, I graduated romanian business academy (Academia de stiinte economice) in 1997, a very bad year for the economy, so didnt have much choice, took the first employment I got my hands on in a bank. They had competition, 300 ppl for 20 places :)

• @jevermeister said: For a systems engineer a degree is often helpful but not necessary.

Maybe, in EU or US a degree is often helpful but not necessary, as based on my past experience when I applied for a job at an EU based company, it depends on my certification, interview and the on-the-job test.

However, in many South East Asian countries, a degree is necessary although sometimes it is baffling when a person that has a Master Degree in Forestry got a job as an IT Manager without any proper certification or such. :)

In short, no matter how much qualifications you have, without a degree you'll always end up as an AM (Assistant Monkey) at the most. :P

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

I have an Associate of Science in Computer Network Systems... complete waste of time and helped me zero in my life. I would have the same job I have now, making the same amount I do now with my high school diploma.

Experience > Education

• RaymiiRaymii Member
    edited May 2013

Technische Informatica & Verpleegkunde. (Computer science? and Nursing)

@KuJoe: Experience > Education - that is so true...

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2013

Will be heading to college this fall for Information Technology and most likely a minor in systems administration and networking.

• IvanIvan Member

@Fliphost Nice to hear :) Good luck and hope you learn lots and have fun :P

@KuJoe really true!

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2013

@Ivan I hope to :)

• I am taking Diploma for now, probably advance to Degree in Networking after this

• @Raymii said: @KuJoe: Experience > Education - that is so true...

Indeed! So true! That's why I went to the University of Applied Sciences (HBO/Hogeschool in Dutch) rather than University. I wanted hands-on experience and two internships rather than all the math they teach you at Uni. Most of my colleagues are Uni-dropouts.

• IvanIvan Member
    edited May 2013

@johntlh93 Nice, since you're in Malaysia, what college/uni do you go to? I only know of Lim Kok Wing that is widely known.

• tuxtux Member

About one year to B.Adm.Sc. After that about two years to M.Adm.Sc.

• BSc Computer Science

• IvanIvan Member

Okay, so I have one question here.. based on the course you took and all the things you've learnt in college, how many percent of whatever you've learnt you've found very useful and has helped you a lot in getting into the hosting industry?
    Or if the course you took is rather related to front end web developing/etc, did it help a lot in getting you the job you have now or starting up the company you are owning now?

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@bigcat said: Can I chime in with questions for degree-less people? :)

What kind of professional certificate do you have and what is your job?

I took some college classes while in the Air Force and a few after, but am still short hours for even an associate degree, I think you all know what I do, all self taught.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

BS Information Science and Technology - Networking

• I have a Masters degree in Engineering from a school in USA... Back when I was living in USA.. Now I'm living in my home country (India)..

As @kujoe said.. I completely agree

Experience > Education

• libro22libro22 Member

BS in Comp Sci, major in Software Tech. That was my dream course, took it and finished it. But now, I wanted to have a System Admin type of major, as addition to my current degree. But no competent university in my country offer such thing :(