Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What college degree do you have? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What college degree do you have?

Comments

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@W1V_Lee said: Indeed, however for many roles, especially those where you are going to be an employee it's required, experience just won't cut it on it's own, right or wrong.

I don't see how that's related to the differences between various kinds of education.

• @bigcat said: Tell me about it, no degree means no interview for most IT position. Luckily this trend has changed a bit over the last few years and corporation start acknowledging professional certificate like LPIC and RHCSA.

That's true, in the past many companies only considered IT as an auxiliary or support function and cost center, but nowadays many corporations accept IT as an integrated essential business function counterpart in generating revenue.

• IvanIvan Member
    edited May 2013

@bigcat @johnlth93 I assume you guys are Malaysians? I know @johnlth93 is.
    What unis do you guys go to? Is Lim Kok Wing any good? I might just fly to the US..

• @Ivan Eeh tak bolih tahu tu..

• LeeLee Veteran

@joepie91 said: I don't see how that's related to the differences between various kinds of education.

I do.

@W1V_Lee said: I do.

Enlighten me, oh great W1V_Lee.

• LeeLee Veteran

@joepie91 said: Enlighten me, oh great W1V_Lee.

All your coins only have one face (ironic saying in your case), so I won't for that reason.

@W1V_Lee said: All your coins only have one face (ironic saying in your case), so I won't for that reason.

I'd imagine that you wouldn't have bothered posting at all, in that case. Sounds more like you don't have an explanation, but want to make it seem like you do.

• LeeLee Veteran

Uhuh, you're right.

• @Infinity said: I have.. nothing. At the moment, I am thinking of what I'd take at university, I'd probably take a degere in Civil Engineering or in Computer Science. Will be going to visit a few Civil Engineering companies to see if I actually like Civil Engineering as a day-to-day job.

Its a great career. You get to work in the great outdoors too depending on which branch of Civil Engineering you take. Also, the job market will never go dry because everyone needs water, building, and transportation/bridges.

I personally love Civil Engineering a ton and wouldn't really change it for the world right now.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

This guy has a multimedia degree.

Lets call it what it is. I have a photoshop degree.

• ryanarpryanarp Member, Patron Provider

Associates in Digital Arts and Design and Bachelors in Business. So basically a jack of all trades degree, and a business degree.

• johnlth93johnlth93 Member
    edited May 2013

@bigcat said: You must be one of those Ah Beng hanging around during lunch hour at CFC =D

Duh, no CFC @ Melaka campus

@Ivan said: Lim Kok Wing

To be honest, i never heard of it ... Well i don't know much though
    You're from?

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@HalfEatenPie said: Don't forget dam breach analysis and watershed analysis.

But what about the aqueducts? You learn about those as well?

• IvanIvan Member

@johnlth93 If you're talking about what university/college, none, I'm still at secondary school. Location, Selangor :P

• @Ivan said: @johnlth93 If you're talking about what university/college, none, I'm still at secondary school. Location, Selangor :P

Oh, din't know you're fellow Malaysian too
    Nice to meet you then =)

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@gbshouse said: thesis related to Viking influence on early medieval political system

And it was huge :) Unfortunately, Viking contribution in the European history is too often overlooked... I would be interested in reading it if it is in english or a few other languages I know.

• I have a PhD in electrical engineering, a masters in analytical physics, and a masters in business administration. Also a licensed professional engineer. I guess I like school :)

• 5n1p5n1p Member

@HalfEatenPie and i was thinking all guys here are in IT. I have master in civil engineering, and after 10 years doing it i can say you really don't learn that much at uni, but you can get directions where to look and learn stuff when you get to need them, i think beside 'fun' that is only point of going to uni.

• bigcatbigcat Member

@Ivan
    I quit my BEng Mech after few semester, so I wouldn't know much about university.

• IntcsIntcs Member
    edited May 2013

My degree is bachelor's in computer science, and I'm 26 by now. I guess @Ivan that your current age/concern might explain why you are curious of that question, e.g. for helping you decide a study area. But in real life you'll find that in many areas of IT, job offering usually asks first for your technical knowledge! Then secondly for any relevant certificates such as certificates of Cisco, Microsoft, Oracle... or, for work experience/certificate that is relevant also can do, and actually at times and for some employers it's preferred over how many of mentioned certificates you've got. Then thirdly comes the questioning about which degree level and type do you hold! That's why Bachelor's, Masters or Doctorate isn't relevant or what employer is looking after in most cases in many or most areas here.

While in the other hand a degree can help you big time in other cases, like if you are seeking to work as a teacher, trainer, lecturer, research..etc. It's usually here the first thing looked after. I believe as well in some cases where you have experience already (maybe at least above 5 years) and seeking an administrative position where sometimes it's so relevant, even though in others high qualifications can be above what is required/expected.

• IvanIvan Member

@Intcs Thank you for the explanation. :) I guess experience and certificates are pretty much really important. All these things are kinda confusing, but at this time I'd just like to learn more, haha :P

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited May 2013

@miTgiB said: But what about the aqueducts? You learn about those as well?

Yep roughly. I mean besides for Los Angeles aqueduct system (the entire political story behind this is horrible but it's a Civil Engineering work landmark) aqueducts aren't really used that much anymore.

@5n1p said: @HalfEatenPie and i was thinking all guys here are in IT. I have master in civil engineering, and after 10 years doing it i can say you really don't learn that much at uni, but you can get directions where to look and learn stuff when you get to need them, i think beside 'fun' that is only point of going to uni.

First, Hello! Love to see other Civils around! Personally, I find that my undergraduate Civil Engineering degree has helped me atleast build a foundation for what I need to know what direction I want to go in my life, which is great because honestly I didn't know what I wanted to do. I didn't want to invest years and years of my life into something I wasn't a big fan of in the end, and taking my courses in the University has made me understand that I do like this career and wish to further it (along with IT and server admin things). So... basically exactly what you said. Except university is also a great place to network with other people in the same field (its one amazing opportunity) and definitely (in my opinion) gets you thinking in a different way.

Although I will admit, I have no real-world experience in Civil Engineering except for my internships, so you do have more experience in this field than me.

Call me a chump for believing, but I seriously do find my university experience one of the best decisions in my life.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited May 2013

Yeah I'd say in a lot of cases knowledge is the primary factor, though clearly not all as we've all seen some idiot hired because he had a degree.

The person who truly knows his/her field inside and out, has the degree, and has the relevant certificates... That is the person that will be hired by the people who pay the big dollars. A degree can, if nothing else, indicate discipline and willingness to subject yourself to education in your field, which is often worth more than the class content itself in my opinion.

• sleddogsleddog Member

BA, MA and 3/4's of a PhD :) In archaeology.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@jarland said: A degree can, if nothing else, indicate discipline and willingness to subject yourself to education in your field, which is often worth more than the class content itself in my opinion.

That is true, however, there are so many universities lately that practically sell diplomas, not being much more than the internet fakers.
    School is going downhill and I think this is in purpose.

• @sleddog said: BA, MA and 3/4's of a PhD :) In archaeology.

Wow @sleddog! That's awesome! I'm hoping to get a PhD too!

Honestly, I have tons of respect for everyone who continues to pursue in higher education.

@Maounique said: That is true, however, there are so many universities lately that practically sell diplomas, not being much more than the internet fakers.

I'd have to disagree with that, or atleast the university I went to yeah its difficult to get kicked out of a university but they don't just hand everything to you.

• 5n1p5n1p Member
    edited May 2013

@Maounique said: That is true, however, there are so many universities lately that practically sell diplomas, not being much more than the internet fakers.

School is going downhill and I think this is in purpose.

I think this is the case lately (since 1990's) in many countries in eastern Europe, but if you go to uni that has tradition that is not the case. And if you buy your diploma you will hardly find job in country where you bought it, because everyone knows that you bought it, you will need skill's to get a job even there.

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@HalfEatenPie said: I mean besides for Los Angeles aqueduct system

I was being a smartass and asking about the Roman Aqueducts

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited May 2013

@miTgiB said: I was being a smartass and asking about the Roman Aqueducts

I know. And Los Angeles Aqueduct is one of the few Aqueduct systems left in the USA :P

Edit: Also, you smartass.