Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PSA: Cloudie Networks breached - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

PSA: Cloudie Networks breached

Comments

• constconst Member
    edited December 2023

@PeterP said: It's called "Networking:IPv6" for a reason, not Networking:Drama. Feel free to start your own server or use LET for drama as it is already :tongue:

A concern here is that I recall there being no shortage of drama there about other providers (eg, a particular month). And while it does seem that the allegations about those providers were legitimate and useful, it is not really a good look to then prevent almost all mentions of the situation here. Even just a "we're aware of the data breach claims, Cloudie will respond, please don't discuss it further" would be better than the current situation, especially when the most recent mention still there is someone saying that there is nothing reliable as far as public information about the matter, when at the same time it appears here that several people in the thread may have access to the data, and multiple people are reporting receiving emails that have data from it.

@PeterP said: Sure, both parties could've handled things better, but this is a grey-hat situation where someone accessed someone else's systems without being authorized and then attempted to extort the provider for money, and are now threatening to leak the data publicly (if not already done) - all of which are crimes depending on where you are.

I'm not sure I'd describe this as grey-hat, whatever the perpetrators may claim.

@andrewnyr said: The discord isn't the "Cloudie Networks discord." We have in the past and will continue to delete any messages relating to attacks or unlawful activity, as many of us have gotten attacked by people in the discord and elsewhere. This isn't even a Cloudie decision, and Cloudie hasn't been involved in the recent moderation.

We want the discord to be a provider-neutral drama free environment where people can come to join us in our mission to spread the word of IPv6. We don't want to risk turning into LET but discord.

That's a useful explanation. But I'd note that it's not an explanation in your rules, which only talk about ongoing DDoS attacks. It would be helpful to revise that.

• @const said: A concern here is that I recall there being no shortage of drama there about other providers (eg, a particular month). And while it does seem that the allegations about those providers were legitimate and useful, it is not really a good look to then almost entirely prevent even mentions of the situation here.

We have been actively trying to limit drama, even inviting back into the discord some providers that were previously banned. Our goals are to provide a welcoming and happy space for geeks to geek about networking.

@const said: Even just a "we're aware of the data breach claims, Cloudie will respond, please don't discuss it further" would be better than the current situation, especially when the most recent mention still there is someone saying that there is nothing reliable as far as public information about the matter, when at the same time it appears here that several people in the thread may have access to the data, and multiple people are reporting receiving emails that have data from it.

This is a fair point, but we cannot speak for Cloudie and the discord is not an official means of communications for Cloudie. We have always enforced this as policy, even before this current situation we would immediately close any tickets with people requesting support for Cloudie network.

Just to reiterate, if any provider was breached in this manner, we would go about the same route to protect the Discord server.

• constconst Member
    edited December 2023

Instantly deleting a question about whether there has been any further update/details about the Dec 17 incident is not necessarily what I'd normally see as a welcoming and happy space, especially when your rules only mention not discussing in-progress DDoS attacks (those rules could probably use an update). At the time, I was not aware of this thread, and so all I knew was that I'd just received an email that had private data (if probably not very useful private data outside of that specific server) from a security incident where the only information I had was something saying there was no reason to believe there had been a data breach. I appreciate that my clarifications about this were not deleted, and I certainly didn't want to go around making accusations about emails, but I suppose I didn't end up getting much more context until reading this thread.

I can see the problems with these sorts of discussions getting out of hand, especially when it seems one goal of the perpetrators here is to do reputational damage by causing these sorts of conversations and speculation in the first place. I'm just not sure whether going this route actually helps quell those, or makes for wilder conversations elsewhere. Honestly, this thread has perhaps made me less concerned about the situation.

• I personally never pay direct, always with PayPal™ and use a burner number so my risk level in minimal.

• dosaidosai Member
    edited December 2023

Smarthost will not be leaked.

IMG-20231229-094526

• Ok, four minutes later I get put to the test; perhaps part of the ddos that was going around ....

@dosai said:
    Smarthost will not be leaked.

• Updated email from Cloudie

Immediate Action Required: Security Breach and Data Leak Update
    We are contacting you to address a critical security incident that has impacted our systems and potentially your data.
    Incident Timeline and Immediate Actions:

December 16th, 2023 - Initial Breach Detected: Our team discovered unauthorized access in our WHMCS system and promptly notified all users.
        Proactive Security Measures: We initiated a fresh installation on a new server for enhanced security and to mitigate further risks.

Data Leak Confirmation:

December 28th, 2023 - Data Compromise Identified: Despite our actions, we have ascertained that certain data from the initial breach has been exposed online.

Detailed Overview of the Leaked Data:

Client Information: Names, addresses, phone numbers, and email addresses.
        Financial Data: Billing addresses, payment histories, and partial credit card details.
        Service and Purchase Records: Details of hosting plans, ASN registrations, and other services.
        Support and Communication Logs: Information from support tickets and email communications.
        Login Credentials and Security Data: Usernames, hashed passwords, security questions, and API keys.
        Custom Fields and Administrative Data: Additional client-specific information and administrative user data.
        Audit Logs and System Settings: Records of user actions and configurations within the system.

Impact Beyond Cloudie Networks:

Wider Industry Effect: The breach has repercussions for several providers, especially those using modules like WHMCSServices and WHMCSGlobalServices.
        Lack of Complete Provider List: Unfortunately, a comprehensive list of all affected providers is not available.

Our Commitment to Enhanced Security:

Selective Module Usage: To safeguard your information, we have discontinued the use of all third-party modules, with the exception of the Lagom theme.
        Infrastructure Security: We have migrated to a new server with upgraded security protocols to fortify our defenses against such incidents.

Urgent Recommendations for Your Safety:

Immediate Password Reset: Change your Cloudie Networks password using [Password Reset Link] and consider updating passwords on other platforms if they are similar.
        Account Monitoring: Stay vigilant for unusual activities in your accounts and report any anomalies.
        Beware of Phishing: Cloudie Networks will never ask for sensitive information via email. Use [Official Contact Link] for any verification.

Additional Safety Measures Taken:

Payment Information Security: We have cancelled all PayPal subscriptions and revoked/reissued Stripe card API tokens to prevent unauthorized charges.
        Resetting of Compromised Credentials: We've reset all leaked VM and Proxmox credentials as a preventive action.

Staying Updated and Supported:

Ongoing Updates: We will keep you informed about any new developments.
        Support Availability: We is ready to assist at Cloudie.sh Support. But please be aware that delays may occur due to the level of large volume of requests at the current time.

Our Assurance:

We are deeply committed to the security of your data and are taking all necessary steps to prevent such incidents in the future. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused and appreciate your cooperation during this critical time.

Best Regards,

Cloudie Networks, LLC.

• Anything from SmartHost? They were affected too right?

• AdvinAdvin Member, Patron Provider
    edited December 2023

@PieHasBeenEaten said:
    @fluffernutter Whoever party has no right playing with my data period. But, that is the pissed off side of me. Me being a realist, people do deserve to know, but it shouldn't of have been a outside party. The provider needs to say something! Oh well my rant is over.

If your data got leaked, then anyone can play with your data and you should treat it as such. I think it is positive that someone sent out an email earlier (even though I didn't get it for some reason) with some information on what exactly got leaked, because prior to that email, the only communication was from a shady email saying that they had broken into Cloudie and obtained "complete" data with no sign of what exactly was taken (besides the email on Dec 16th implying that information probably wasn't taken).

• emghemgh Member
    edited December 2023

Clients data being leaked isn’t drama

It’s serious

And clients deserve to know

And them not being on top of it, sending out an email to each client as soon as they got the news, that’s wrong and dumb

Because, yes, the response can be wrong and dumb even if hacking is illegal. Both can be bad at the same time

If a terrorist roams free in the middle of my city for hours, I can question how police/millitary didn’t interupt the terrorist even though the terrorist was obviously not in the right

It’s just common sense

Finally, the ticket responses by Cloudie seem very immature. Obviously he tries to downplay the importance of the data for it to not get leaked, but still, immature

The proper way to handle a similar situation, would be to stall the hacker, try to get as much info from them as possible. Anything that might help police finding them, obviously don’t count on it, but still, try to get their crypto address, their online nicknames at various forums, their IPs, everything. Some of it might come handy. Don’t pay any money however, that way, you’re openly advertising to other hackers that you reward them for hacking you

Finally, contact:

• Your local aurhority for personal information (there’s laws in most countries that hacks that cause personal information to leak must be reported)
    • The Police (provide them with the info gathered, even if they can’t so anything, they might be able to connect the guys to this long in the future, if they’re arrested or wanted for hacking something completely different later on (not that uncommon)
    • YOUR CLIENTS
  • MustafaMustafa Member
    edited December 2023

I would like to complain Cloudie banned me from their Discord before I even managed to join. I'm not sure why do they dislike me, I guess I care more about their customers than Cloudie himself.

• @Advin said:

@PieHasBeenEaten said:
    @fluffernutter Whoever party has no right playing with my data period. But, that is the pissed off side of me. Me being a realist, people do deserve to know, but it shouldn't of have been a outside party. The provider needs to say something! Oh well my rant is over.

If your data got leaked, then anyone can play with your data and you should treat it as such. I think it is positive that someone sent out an email earlier (even though I didn't get it for some reason) with some information on what exactly got leaked, because prior to that email, the only communication was from a shady email saying that they had broken into Cloudie and obtained "complete" data with no sign of what exactly was taken.

Technically, it’s probably not legal. The personal info is most probably obtained illegally for once, secondly, sending the emails unsolicited is most definitely not okay either.

But in a way, I agree with you, for anyone who had sensitive information leaked, being aware of it as soon as possible can be very important, so the email obviously helped at least someone.

One could of course argue that the leak is spreading, and as more people get notified of it, the more it’ll spread. Many of those notified will proceed to lookup the dump, and it contains personal information that they, quite honestly, have no business looking at.

Thanked by 1PieHasBeenEaten
  • ”Despite our actions” lmao

Thanked by 2dedotatedwam adly
  • MustafaMustafa Member
    edited December 2023

@emgh said:
    ”Despite our actions” lmao

Reinstalling whmcs will surely erase database dump from attackers machine. What a fucking shitshow lmao

• @Mustafa said:

@emgh said:

Reinstalling whmcs will surely erase database dump from attackers machine. What a fucking shitshow lmao

Only ”action” that could help would be utlizing a time machine

• MustafaMustafa Member
    edited December 2023

@emgh said:

@Mustafa said:

@emgh said:

Or letting customers know they are fucked instantly, rotating passwords, etc.
    They have done none of that, just a misleading post where they stated no personal info has been leaked.
    They quite literally fucked it up for themselves, they didn't handle it well at all, especially with complete censorship on their Discord. I used to think Cloudie is a trusted name, I guess I was wrong.

• @Maelstrom36 said:
    Anything from SmartHost? They were affected too right?

Tagging @SmartHost

• sillycatsillycat Member
    edited December 2023

@PeterP said: It's called "Networking:IPv6" for a reason, not Networking:Drama. Feel free to start your own server or use LET for drama as it is already

You're acting like a clown. I believe you also forgot to mention that you're a current administrator for the same fucking Discord you're discussing.

@PeterP said: Also, making sure that you aren't using the same password everywhere and ensuring 2FA on everything that supports it is best practice.

cough. Cloudie used the exact same default password for several accounts on pve1-yyz.node.cloudie.network, and some of them are still functional.

@andrewnyr said: The discord isn't the "Cloudie Networks discord."

Are you sure? The Discord is owned by Cloudie, and it's also coincidentally included in almost every single Cloudie email template.

Shall I also remind you that the Proxmox default password still hasn't been reset?

Additionally, here are the chat exports for the last three days, including deleted messages, in case someone finds something spicy: https://ws.spy.pet/exports/0e5815afb68386a9978a7f7956c9e38b.csv
    (please note that the 'delete' field is not accurate).

• @Mustafa said:

@emgh said:

@Mustafa said:

@emgh said:

Or letting customers know they are fucked instantly, rotating passwords, etc.
    They have done none of that, just a misleading post where they stated no personal info has been leaked.
    They quite literally fucked it up for themselves, they didn't handle it well at all, especially with complete censorship on their Discord. I used to think Cloudie is a trusted name, I guess I was wrong.

I mean sure, I wrote that too. That would help remedy the already occured hack

But the way they worded it sounds like they worked hard to make sure they don’t get hacked in the first place, when they’re already hacked. They seem clueless.

”Despite our actions”, and priorly mentioning reinstalling WHMCS.

Obviously you should do that, but it won’t affect the already occured hack. They try to make it sound like they were busy undoing the hack.

• @sillycat maybe clear the password from your post as you’re kind of inviting malicious intent. We get the point without it

Thanked by 1sillycat
  • AdvinAdvin Member, Patron Provider
    edited December 2023

@emgh said:

@Advin said:

@PieHasBeenEaten said:

If your data got leaked, then anyone can play with your data and you should treat it as such. I think it is positive that someone sent out an email earlier (even though I didn't get it for some reason) with some information on what exactly got leaked, because prior to that email, the only communication was from a shady email saying that they had broken into Cloudie and obtained "complete" data with no sign of what exactly was taken.

Technically, it’s probably not legal. The personal info is most probably obtained illegally for once, secondly, sending the emails unsolicited is most definitely not okay either.

But in a way, I agree with you, for anyone who had sensitive information leaked, being aware of it as soon as possible can be very important, so the email obviously helped at least someone.

One could of course argue that the leak is spreading, and as more people get notified of it, the more it’ll spread. Many of those notified will proceed to lookup the dump, and it contains personal information that they, quite honestly, have no business looking at.

You could also argue that the very existence of this LET post is bringing way more awareness to the leak, leading people to download it :) The hacker already sent out an email to all Cloudie customers to join a Telegram group with a direct link to it saying that they would release the complete database. Some Cloudie customers had to download the database to see what information they had in it about them.

I don't think it's necessarily legal either, but I don't think it's a bad thing. People could have used the data for far worse, like phishing emails or advertising (cough cough QuadraNet cough cough).

Thanked by 1emgh
  • @Advin said:

@emgh said:

@Advin said:

@PieHasBeenEaten said:

You could also argue that the very existence of this LET post is bringing way more awareness to the leak, leading people to download it :) The hacker already sent out an email to all Cloudie customers to join a Telegram group with a direct link to it saying that they would release the complete database.

I don't think it's necessarily legal either, but I don't think it's a bad thing. People could have used the data for far worse, like phishing emails or advertising (cough cough QuadraNet cough cough).

I like being "good" for once and still being met with same treatment as I was malicious.

• @Advin said:

@emgh said:

@Advin said:

@PieHasBeenEaten said:

You could also argue that the very existence of this LET post is bringing way more awareness to the leak, leading people to download it :)

The hacker already sent out an email to all Cloudie customers to join the Telegram group with a direct link to it saying that they would release the complete database.

Yes. I don’t consider it net bad. I do still however think it’s probably illegal.

What I wouldn’t do however is spread the file.

• emghemgh Member
    edited December 2023

@Mustafa said:

@Advin said:

@emgh said:

@Advin said:

@PieHasBeenEaten said:

You could also argue that the very existence of this LET post is bringing way more awareness to the leak, leading people to download it :) The hacker already sent out an email to all Cloudie customers to join a Telegram group with a direct link to it saying that they would release the complete database.

I like being "good" for once and still being met with same treatment as I was malicious.

So you sent the email? Or do you just mean the LET thread? I was just about to ask you, since it sounded very much like you wrote it, at least that’s the feeling I got reading it.

And I don’t think I’ve treated you as malicious, I’m just being honest, I said it was probably net positive.

• @emgh said: So you sent the email? I was just about to ask you, since it sounded very much like you wrote it, at least that’s the feeling I got reading it.

It wasn't me who sent the email.

• @Mustafa said:

@emgh said: So you sent the email? I was just about to ask you, since it sounded very much like you wrote it, at least that’s the feeling I got reading it.

If it was you, would you tell us?

• MustafaMustafa Member
    edited December 2023

@emgh said:

@Mustafa said:

@emgh said: So you sent the email? I was just about to ask you, since it sounded very much like you wrote it, at least that’s the feeling I got reading it.

I probably would, no reason not to, its not like I have any reputation here lmao.
    I couldn't care less what people think of me, I'm just doing my thing whether they like it or not.

• @Mustafa said:

@emgh said:

@Mustafa said:

I probably would, no reason not to, its not like I have any reputation here lmao.

Aight

You do have reputation though

The reputation of spending so much time and effort on getting back in that not a single mod or admin even has the energy to ban you again

That’s quite an achievement tbh

• MustafaMustafa Member
    edited December 2023

@emgh said:

@Mustafa said:

@emgh said:

@Mustafa said:

Aight

The reputation of spending so much time and effort on getting back in that not a single mod or admin even has the energy to ban you again

At least I helped influence positive changes on this shitty ass forum.
    I'm not done yet though.

• @Mustafa said:

@emgh said:

@Mustafa said:

@emgh said:

@Mustafa said:

Aight

At least I helped influence positive changes on this shitty ass forum.
    I'm not done yet though.

What changes though?

I’m all ears, but you being tolerated isn’t really a policy change I’d say, I honestly think they’re just not getting paid enough (nothing) to put the effort in to keep you out lol