Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PSA: Cloudie Networks breached - Page 6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

PSA: Cloudie Networks breached

Comments

• @Mustafa said: Enjoy prison

For?

• Guys: If this gets derailed, the thread gets locked. Keep that in mind.

• MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

@Moopah said:
    Updated email from Cloudie

Immediate Action Required: Security Breach and Data Leak Update
    We are contacting you to address a critical security incident that has impacted our systems and potentially your data.
    Incident Timeline and Immediate Actions:

December 16th, 2023 - Initial Breach Detected: Our team discovered unauthorized access in our WHMCS system and promptly notified all users.
        Proactive Security Measures: We initiated a fresh installation on a new server for enhanced security and to mitigate further risks.

Data Leak Confirmation:

December 28th, 2023 - Data Compromise Identified: Despite our actions, we have ascertained that certain data from the initial breach has been exposed online.

Detailed Overview of the Leaked Data:

Client Information: Names, addresses, phone numbers, and email addresses.
        Financial Data: Billing addresses, payment histories, and partial credit card details.
        Service and Purchase Records: Details of hosting plans, ASN registrations, and other services.
        Support and Communication Logs: Information from support tickets and email communications.
        Login Credentials and Security Data: Usernames, hashed passwords, security questions, and API keys.
        Custom Fields and Administrative Data: Additional client-specific information and administrative user data.
        Audit Logs and System Settings: Records of user actions and configurations within the system.

Impact Beyond Cloudie Networks:

Wider Industry Effect: The breach has repercussions for several providers, especially those using modules like WHMCSServices and WHMCSGlobalServices.
        Lack of Complete Provider List: Unfortunately, a comprehensive list of all affected providers is not available.

Our Commitment to Enhanced Security:

Selective Module Usage: To safeguard your information, we have discontinued the use of all third-party modules, with the exception of the Lagom theme.
        Infrastructure Security: We have migrated to a new server with upgraded security protocols to fortify our defenses against such incidents.

Urgent Recommendations for Your Safety:

Immediate Password Reset: Change your Cloudie Networks password using [Password Reset Link] and consider updating passwords on other platforms if they are similar.
        Account Monitoring: Stay vigilant for unusual activities in your accounts and report any anomalies.
        Beware of Phishing: Cloudie Networks will never ask for sensitive information via email. Use [Official Contact Link] for any verification.

Additional Safety Measures Taken:

Payment Information Security: We have cancelled all PayPal subscriptions and revoked/reissued Stripe card API tokens to prevent unauthorized charges.
        Resetting of Compromised Credentials: We've reset all leaked VM and Proxmox credentials as a preventive action.

Staying Updated and Supported:

Ongoing Updates: We will keep you informed about any new developments.
        Support Availability: We is ready to assist at Cloudie.sh Support. But please be aware that delays may occur due to the level of large volume of requests at the current time.

Our Assurance:

We are deeply committed to the security of your data and are taking all necessary steps to prevent such incidents in the future. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused and appreciate your cooperation during this critical time.

Best Regards,

Cloudie Networks, LLC.

Let's keep this on topic since it's a rather serious matter that has wider impications beyond just Cloudie itself, it would seem.

Email suggests that the original breach may have occurred from module(s) provided by https://www.whmcsservices.com/ or https://whmcsglobalservices.com/ ?

WHMCSServices was mentioned previously both here in an a thread from the 17th or 18th on LET, since it appeared to be a supply chain attack where they were hacked, and the hackers then sent an email with a file link to 'update' a module used which was what allowed access to other user's WHMCS. Is that correct?

This is the first I'm hearing of WHMCSGlobalServices being in the mix of blame, can anyone confirm?

• @MannDude said:

Can u plz tell me if the hacker can use stored credit card numbers in any way & what kind of partial cc numbers are stored? I dont have experience with stripe backend yet, so dont know how much of the cc data is leaked per customer and if a person shud be concerned.

• Anyone else? Is this related or just unlucky timing? :D

Thanked by 1totally_not_banned
  • AdvinAdvin Member, Patron Provider
    edited December 2023

@raza19 said:

@MannDude said:

Can u plz tell me if the hacker can use stored credit card numbers in any way & what kind of partial cc numbers are stored? I dont have experience with stripe backend yet, so dont know how much of the cc data is leaked per customer and if a person shud be concerned.

Only last 4 digits of credit card number are stored. Other credit card details are stored through Stripe and cannot be accessed. The hacker could have refunded or charged credit cards with Stripe through the billing system, but it doesn't look like that happened. There would be no benefit to the hacker, the money would just have gone to Cloudie/the hosting provider and would not be able to be withdrawn.

The last 4 digits can't really be used for much by itself, but maybe it could be used in social engineering attacks to other companies.

Thanked by 2shruub raza19
  • @JabJab said:

Anyone else? Is this related or just unlucky timing? :D

Damn, I remember a different Perry.

• HostSlickHostSlick Member, Patron Provider

@shruub said:

@JabJab said:

Anyone else? Is this related or just unlucky timing? :D

Damn, I remember a different Perry.

Just answer that you are not looking for Job but Prostitutes instead

Thanked by 2shruub CheepCluck
  • MumblyMumbly Member
    edited December 2023

@totally_not_banned said: You are probably right on that but as much as LET (was LEB ever any good?)

LEB was a nice, informative place when our beloved LEA owned it. LET was established as extension of LEB back then because the comment section under LEB posts wasn't enough once the community grew.
    Everything changed when this idiot @Chief inherited LEB/LET from LEA and secretly sold it to Jon Bilbo and they made it via Marteen's paid posts ColoCrossing hosts's advertising space. Those greedy bastards ruined it.

And now's just a random billboard without any direction or purpose anyway.

• MumblyMumbly Member
    edited December 2023

@totally_not_banned said:
    @Mustafa do you know if @AnthonySmith is still around? I heard he sold... what-was-the-name-again?

Edit: InceptionHosting or something like that?

I don't think this newb is the right person for those questions :)

Yes, Anthony is still around and manage Inception Hosting under the ownership of Clouvider. But he's not in the leadership of LES anymore. He gave it to Mason to manage it and he does not post much lately.

• host_chost_c Member, Patron Provider

@shruub said: Damn, I remember a different Perry.

just could not resist this one.

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • edited December 2023

@Mumbly said:

@totally_not_banned said: You are probably right on that but as much as LET (was LEB ever any good?)

LEB was a nice, informative place when our beloved LEA owned it. LET was established as extension of LEB back then because the comment section under LEB posts wasn't enough once the community grew.

That's way before my time. At least i think so. I stumbled upon LET (via LEB i guess? - there is hardly any memory left but it probably must have been this way) pretty early when there was little of anything going on in the forum and lurked randomly but didn't really noticed how it was kind of a household name until way, way later. If LEA was still active when i first dropped by will probably forever stay a mystery as i hardly remember anything from back then. My brain is really just some worn out fishnet in a lot of ways nowadays...

Everything changed when this idiot @Chief inherited LEB/LET from LEA and secretly sold it to Jon Bilbo and they made it via Marteen's paid posts ColoCrossing hosts's advertising space. Those greedy bastards ruined it.

Yeah, that part i know pretty well, up until the @AnthonySmith era, which is were i kinda lost track.

And now's just a random billboard without any direction or purpose anyway.

Well, i guess that really started when CC got directly involved. I mean CC employees/JB would show up now and then before also but they were really more of some elusive figures that needed to be summoned when config changes were desired but usually did only actually materialize after extended periods of uncertainty if anything would happen at all.

Thanked by 1Mumbly
  • Thanked by 1KaanArs
  • It seems I dodged this bullet because I was not a customer of this provider.

My regrets are with all the honest customers who got caught by hackers.

Thanked by 3kait emgh dedotatedwam
  • @FlorinMarian said:
    Someone on LET had posted in a topic related to WHMCS Global Services the config.php file from Cloudie that included the database credentials and the whmcs license that I had checked and it was legitimate.
    Why did the moderators choose not to find out, let them tell us now, that they deleted the message (deleted, not edited).

So, anyway, how is your paper on Cyber Security going? Didn't you write your Bachelor's about this kind of topic? Will you put it on JSTOR or the like?

• Who has suffered molestation as a result of this incident?

Thanked by 1emgh
  • @default said:

Appreciated! Say, do you also have a coke or something?

• @dahartigan said:
    Who has suffered molestation as a result of this incident?

Some of the victims will likely stay mute since the database is circulating among members of these forums.

Thanked by 1LowLowLow
  • @dahartigan said: Who has suffered molestation as a result of this incident?

Molest... what?!! Do you mean victimization?

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate
    edited December 2023

@Mumbly said:

@dahartigan said: Who has suffered molestation as a result of this incident?

Molest... what?!! Do you mean victimization?

Everyone can find my ASN on my website.
    Everyone can grep my ASN in the database and find my email and street address.
    Or they can just go to RIPE WHOIS and find the same information.

The street address is my office address.
    We have 24/7 security guards, with guns and tasers, at each gate.
    We don't have dogs, but there are many deers roaming around the office building.

I only enter my residential address if physical goods are to be shipped to me.
    Go hack Target Corporation if you want my residential address.
    We don't accept mail from Shit Express and similar merchants.

• Damn, running a hosting company is nothing short of constant nightmares.

Thanked by 1OhJohn
  • @noob404 said:
    Damn, running a hosting company is nothing short of constant nightmares.

And apparently being a client of one too

• crunchbitscrunchbits Member, Patron Provider, Top Host
    edited December 2023

@noob404 said:
    Damn, running a hosting company is nothing short of constant nightmares.

Of all the things I've done in my entire life, running a hosting company has probably been the closest I've come to being killed. This includes my state-sponsored vacation to Fallujah.

• op23op23 Member
    edited December 2023

I like crunchbits response.
    Change your passwords, don’t sign up with a ton of personal info, standard hacker event.
    Like many other scams this is just extortion as usual.

• OP has received victimisation

Thanked by 2emgh thane
  • @dosai said:
    Why was op banned?

Also would like to know the answer to this question.

Thanked by 1darkimmortal
  • @PineappleM said:

@dosai said:
    Why was op banned?

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@PineappleM said:

@dosai said:
    Why was op banned?

Alt of a banned user, @treesmokah. The guy is previously banned for a very long list of infractions and is toxic.

There is no issue with this thread and as of now it will remain open.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@jbiloh said:
    There is no issue with this thread and as of now it will remain open.

This thread should have new title:
    PSA: user data leaked due to WHMCS vulnerability