Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vultr New Free Plan
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Vultr New Free Plan

loayloay Member
edited March 2023 in General

Vultr just announced their new free tier program, the specs of the new free Cloud Compute:

1 vCPU
512MB RAM
10GB Disk
IPv4 Address
2 TB of free global bandwidth

Currently you can request early access by applying through the free tier program form:
https://www.vultr.com/free-tier-program/

Blog announcement:
https://www.vultr.com/news/new-free-tier-plan/

Comments

• edited March 2023

Signed up. Let's see how long it takes to get it and for Vultr to regret doing this.

• ArkasArkas Moderator

Some guy in their marketing team is going to get fired when this backfires.

• loayloay Member

@Arkas said: their marketing team is going to get fired when this backfires.

This is from the blog meta description tag:

Vultr has announced a new Free Tier for "qualified developers" to level the playing field and unlock digital innovation everywhere.

Thanked by 2Arkas greentea
  • I need one
    The last one of my vultr vps cost 2.5$/m

• loayloay Member

@wagumaxida said: I need one

There is still a validation process that is unclear what they actually require to decide if you are a qualified developer.

Thanked by 1greentea
  • Have been Vultr customer since like 8 years ago but stopped using them after 2020. Going to see if they will let me pass.

Seems they didn’t mention which region will the free box live in, should be NJ I guess.

Thanked by 1greentea
  • tunatuna Member

Im in, Vultr service is good but the price isn't

Thanked by 1greentea
  • emghemgh Member

@tuna said:
    Im in, Vultr service is good but the price isn't

This free tier is for their ”normal line”, it’s decently priced and the performance is decent too.

However, the ”High Frequency” line is where Vultr shines. Stellar performance per dollar.

So no, their price is good.

Thanked by 3loay mrTom greentea
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Can't fault them for pushing security forward by requiring 2FA to even be considered.

It's a 1 vcpu / 512MB RAM / 10GB disk / IPv4 system. I'm assuming you get ipv6 as well.

Thanked by 3loay greentea JasonM
  • @loay said:

@Arkas said: their marketing team is going to get fired when this backfires.

This is from the blog meta description tag:

Vultr has announced a new Free Tier for "qualified developers" to level the playing field and unlock digital innovation everywhere.

512MB is fair enough for a lot of workloads, but for innovation? Hmm, we'll see what's going on.

Thanked by 1greentea
  • Reading into it they analyse your account and then grant it. Makes me think if you’re a decent spender you won’t be granted one

Thanked by 1greentea
  • FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep

way good for BGP!

Thanked by 1greentea
  • VoidVoid Member
    edited March 2023

need to make a deposit of $5 to link credit card/paypal and no instant activation as they will handpick who gets free trial & available only on certain locations.

Thanked by 2hyperblast greentea
  • dosaidosai Member

@jmaxwell said:
    need to make a deposit of $5 to link credit card/paypal and no instant activation as they will handpick who gets free trial & available only on certain locations.

You can click on $0 credit card verification option. No need to deposit, that's what I did.

Thanked by 2greentea JasonM
  • VoidVoid Member

@dosai said:

@jmaxwell said:

You can click on $0 credit card verification option. No need to deposit, that's what I did.

Didn’t work for my card. For PayPal verification, it said invalid amount when $0 is selected.

Thanked by 1greentea
  • FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep

@jmaxwell said:

@dosai said:

@jmaxwell said:

Didn’t work for my card. For PayPal verification, it said invalid amount when $0 is selected.

i chose 5$ to deposit, it charged me only 5rs. Safe. ICICI Bank CC.

Thanked by 2Void greentea
  • VoidVoid Member

Well damn
    I should’ve tried a different card

Thanked by 1greentea
  • How long do they take to process a request?

Thanked by 1greentea
  • @dosai said:

@jmaxwell said:

Linking denied for this card. Please deposit an amount of $5 or greater.

Thanked by 2Void greentea
  • 5ys client just apply to try my luck. :smiley:

• dosaidosai Member

@jmaxwell said:

@dosai said:

@jmaxwell said:

I even got $250 credits for a month xD

• VoidVoid Member

@dosai said:

@jmaxwell said:

@dosai said:

@jmaxwell said:

Which card you used ?

• dosaidosai Member

@jmaxwell said:

@dosai said:

@jmaxwell said:

@dosai said:

@jmaxwell said:

Which card you used ?

SBI CC

Thanked by 1Void
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@raindog308 said: I'm assuming you get ipv6 as well.

Never assume anything about IPv6 except that it would not be there if not advertised and even then...

@jmaxwell said: For PayPal verification, it said invalid amount when $0 is selected.

They say no Paypal.

• VoidVoid Member

@Maounique said:

They say no Paypal.

Might be location specific
    PayPal is what worked for me

@jmaxwell said: PayPal is what worked for me

I think they might have not planned this thoroughly and there is no consensus or instructions about how it would be implemented.

• mrTommrTom Member

From their FAQs

What does "early access" mean and who gets the free instances?

This is a new program that we are developing, and it will be rolled out in phases. It will only be available in specific data center locations and will limited quantities available.

You can request "early access" to the program by applying here.

Since there is a limited quantity, eligible members will be granted access on a randomized / weighted basis.

• Has anyone got accepted?

Thanked by 1greentea

@farsighter said: Has anyone got accepted?

By reading this thread I say yes.
    If you already got your VM, please post the IPv6 status. I might be interested.

• @mrTom said: It will only be available in specific data center locations and will limited quantities available

I hope it will be available in SG.