Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vultr New Free Plan - Page 6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Vultr New Free Plan

Comments

• ManishPantManishPant Member, Host Rep

@nokstar said:
    i applied nearly 2 days before no reply. i want to delete my account with all personal data and get $5 refunded.
    this is more like free personal data collection and $5 donation to Vultr

LoL have some patience , was your cc charged $5 or you added the fund manually.
    As per support team confirmation the charged amount will be automatically reversed and it depend upon your bank can take upto 3-4 business day to 30days max.

When you get refund confirmation , you can delete that account their is a option in control panel

Thanked by 1greentea
  • nokstarnokstar Member
    edited March 2023

@adly said:

@nokstar said:
    i applied nearly 2 days before no reply. i want to delete my account with all personal data and get $5 refunded.
    this is more like free massive business client database with active CC and $5 donation by each person to Vultr

You signed up and topped up your account with $5 (which you still have to use in your account), on the basis of getting a free VPS (which they very clearly said was not guaranteed and limited), but because they haven’t replied within 48 hours you’re done with them and have decided it’s all just a data gathering operation and an attempt to get people’s money? 🤔

Yes.
    they don't have a license to run public lotteries and pocket people's money.
    all companies should delete our personal data on request.

Thanked by 1Plutack
  • @raindog308 said:

@Otus9051 said: I still have a $25k bill unpaid (used a expired debit card)

What were you doing that you racked up $25,000?

i had 4 2TB SSDs hanging around and i forgot to remove my 3x 64GB 32C VM which i was CPU mining bitcoin on (i have a cent)

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Otus9051 said: remove my 3x 64GB 32C VM which i was CPU mining bitcoin on (i have a cent)

Screenshot this for when @Otus9051 cries about wanting free services again.

Francisco

• ptrejaptreja Member
    edited March 2023

Got accepted, wasn't expecting to because I don't have a card registered on Vultr, always used Paypal to top up credit in the past. My account was 5+ years old so presumably they let old accounts without a card through verification too? When I looked yesterday early they had Madrid free which would have been nice but unfortunately it looks like all those have been taken now so went with Frankfurt. GB5 for reference:

Basic System Information:
    ---------------------------------
    Uptime     : 0 days, 0 hours, 23 minutes
    Processor  : Intel Xeon Processor (Skylake, IBRS)
    CPU cores  : 1 @ 2593.904 MHz
    AES-NI     : ✔ Enabled
    VM-x/AMD-V : ❌ Disabled
    RAM        : 473.3 MiB
    Swap       : 1024.0 MiB
    Disk       : 9.3 GiB
    Distro     : Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye)
    Kernel     : 5.10.0-21-amd64
    VM Type    : MICROSOFT

Basic Network Information:
    Protocol   : IPv6
    ISP        : The Constant Company
    ASN        : AS20473 The Constant Company, LLC
    Host       : Vultr Holdings, LLC
    Location   : Frankfurt am Main, Hesse (HE)
    Country    : Germany

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):
    Block Size | 4k            (IOPS) | 64k           (IOPS)
      ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ----
    Read       | 139.75 MB/s  (34.9k) | 207.89 MB/s   (3.2k)
    Write      | 140.12 MB/s  (35.0k) | 208.99 MB/s   (3.2k)
    Total      | 279.88 MB/s  (69.9k) | 416.88 MB/s   (6.5k)
               |                      |
    Block Size | 512k          (IOPS) | 1m            (IOPS)
      ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ----
    Read       | 224.12 MB/s    (437) | 232.48 MB/s    (227)
    Write      | 236.03 MB/s    (460) | 247.96 MB/s    (242)
    Total      | 460.15 MB/s    (897) | 480.44 MB/s    (469)

Geekbench 5 Benchmark Test:
    Test            | Value
                    |
    Single Core     | 585
    Multi Core      | 578
    Full Test       | https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/20840310

Thanked by 2hyperblast greentea
  • Otus9051Otus9051 Member
    edited March 2023

@Francisco said:

@Otus9051 said: remove my 3x 64GB 32C VM which i was CPU mining bitcoin on (i have a cent)

Screenshot this for when @Otus9051 cries about wanting free services again.

Francisco

well i mean sure i also have a guide on how to get free stuff on let somewhere which uses the same tactics

• @ManishPant said:

@nokstar said:
    this is more like free personal data collection and $5 donation to Vultr

LoL have some patience , was your cc charged $5 or you added the fund manually.
    As per support team confirmation the charged amount will be automatically reversed and it depend upon your bank can take upto 3-4 business day to 30days max.

When you get refund confirmation , you can delete that account their is a option in control panel

i got mine refunded 2 days later so

• @nokstar said:
    this is more like free massive business client database with active CC and $5 donation by each person to Vultr

Not sure but you might still be able to apply for free $250 trial credit and use it for some time
    https://www.vultr.com/promo/try250/?service=try250&promo=FLYVULTR250

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@Otus9051 said: well i mean sure i also have a guide on how to get free stuff on let somewhere which uses the same tactics

We've published stuff on how to legitimately get free services not nothing on how to stick providers with a 5-figure bill, so tactics are a bit different.

How long ago was this? I'm thinking Amazon is going to come after your parents for that bill. Your expired card didn't sign up - you did, and they're responsible regardless.

Thanked by 1farsighter
  • @Otus9051 said:

@raindog308 said:

@Otus9051 said: I still have a $25k bill unpaid (used a expired debit card)

What were you doing that you racked up $25,000?

i had 4 2TB SSDs hanging around and i forgot to remove my 3x 64GB 32C VM which i was CPU mining bitcoin on (i have a cent)

yabs

• @raindog308 said:

@Otus9051 said: well i mean sure i also have a guide on how to get free stuff on let somewhere which uses the same tactics

We've published stuff on how to legitimately get free services not nothing on how to stick providers with a 5-figure bill, so tactics are a bit different.

How long ago was this? I'm thinking Amazon is going to come after your parents for that bill. Your expired card didn't sign up - you did, and they're responsible regardless.

2 years ago
    Haven't got call from AISPL till now.

• KonbuKonbu Member

Thank you. I got Frankfurt.٩(ˊᗜˋ*)و

• Vultr service is good but the price isn't

• Still no response since 8 March 2023
    But, I'm still have faith about free stuffs :D

• Apparently you can’t apply with a prepaid card which is sad

• @Jordyn said:
    Vultr service is good but the price isn't

You get what you pay for

• My app got approved and I selected the Germany location, but I can't do much with it ha. I can't install any Web Hosting control panel, not even Centminmod. I could not install WordPress on its own either, so can't develop anything. Be better if they at least offered 1GB memory instead of 512MB, and maybe 25GB storage instead of 10GB storage. I am sure many would attach larger storage to them so they would still make something. :)

Not sure what to use it for now? Lol.

• FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep

@HostXNow said:
    My app got approved and I selected the Germany location, but I can't do much with it ha. I can't install any Web Hosting control panel, not even Centminmod. I could not install WordPress on its own either, so can't develop anything. Be better if they at least offered 1GB memory instead of 512MB, and maybe 25GB storage instead of 10GB storage. I am sure many would attach larger storage to them so they would still make something. :)

Install plain nginx and php fpm and write your config, use remote MySQL or you can even host one on 512mb(i did once), with swap.

Thanked by 1greentea
  • VoidVoid Member

@HostXNow said:
    My app got approved and I selected the Germany location, but I can't do much with it ha. I can't install any Web Hosting control panel, not even Centminmod. I could not install WordPress on its own either, so can't develop anything. Be better if they at least offered 1GB memory instead of 512MB, and maybe 25GB storage instead of 10GB storage. I am sure many would attach larger storage to them so they would still make something. :)

Mentally strong people let it idle after customary rituals like yabs.

• @jmaxwell said:

@HostXNow said:

Mentally strong people let it idle after customary rituals like yabs.

Great for the planet that ha.

Seriously, I thought it was a lifetime, but now it's only for a year!? If so, even more reason for them to offer 1GB memory, and 25GB storage as they expire after 1 year anyway. The 1 vCPU is fine, of course. Pretty sure Vultr would get better ROI if they went about it that way as many could actually use the instances and may even upgrade before the year. Currently, they are too limited and many going to just let them idle. As some others mentioned already, I don't think they thought it properly.

Thanked by 1greentea
  • In case anyone was wondering, I requested port 25 be unblocked and received the following info.

"Hello,

We would be happy to assist you with this matter after some time. However, we ask that you first demonstrate normal account use for a minimum of 30 days in order to build an account history. Please note, leaving the account dormant for 30 days would not warrant an increase. Thank you for your understanding and we look forward to assisting you in the future."

Thanked by 2loay greentea
  • TrKTrK Member

Get something for free, rant about limitations, tries justifying better resources for free. Ignored.

• Its been a week now and didn't hear back from Vultr. Looks like they are backed up of request.

Thanked by 1greentea
  • @HostXNow said: Seriously, I thought it was a lifetime, but now it's only for a year!?

You might be getting the Oracle always free confused as I don't think Vultr ever said lifetime.

Thanked by 2greentea HostXNow
  • I got it quite quick and spun one up, didn't realise how little 512mb is...I think I'll end up just putting a VPN service on it. Anyone setup portainer and installed a couple of things, or is that a bit ambitious?

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@hampered said: didn't realise how little 512mb is

You must be new here. Some of us ran whole linux OSes in 4 MB and I was very happy with 64 KB and a Z80 back in the day.

Thanked by 2darkimmortal BBTN
  • @Maounique said:

You must be new here. Some of us ran whole linux OSes in 4 MB and I was very happy with 64 KB and a Z80 back in the day.

am too young to even think its possible :( but it was back in the day

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@lol_fire said:

@Maounique said:

am too young to even think its possible :( but it was back in the day

Yes, it was back in the day. See my signature :)

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

https://www.ebay.com/itm/293945533156

This or very similar machine I had then and I think it was really 1996, I bought second hand. I recompiled the kernel to remove all unnecessary things and power was pretty unstable back then and no UPS, imagine the joy after 24 hours of recompiling to lose everything and start again...

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran
    edited March 2023

@beanman109 said:

@HostXNow said: Seriously, I thought it was a lifetime, but now it's only for a year!?

You might be getting the Oracle always free confused as I don't think Vultr ever said lifetime.

Actually when this first came out, they didn't say there was a limitation. And if you go to the signup page, it doens't mention 1 year and I think folks only found out about the 1-year limitation after signing up, giving their CC details, etc.

I'm not complaining - personally, I'm a Vultr customer so they've already got all my details. But Vultr should state the 1-year limitation up front.

@farsighter made this point earlier in the thread and I agree.