Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vultr New Free Plan - Page 7
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Vultr New Free Plan

123457»

Comments

• angstromangstrom Moderator

Wow, that's really vintage and in great condition as well

This or very similar machine I had then and I think it was really 1996, I bought second hand. I recompiled the kernel to remove all unnecessary things and power was pretty unstable back then and no UPS, imagine the joy after 24 hours of recompiling to lose everything and start again...

The lowest amount of RAM that I ever used for compiling a kernel was 16 MB. I could compile 2.0x and 2.2x kernels with 16 MB, but 2.2x kernels took considerably longer to compile than 2.0x kernels

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@angstrom said:
    The lowest amount of RAM that I ever used for compiling a kernel was 16 MB. I could compile 2.0x and 2.2x kernels with 16 MB, but 2.2x kernels took considerably longer to compile than 2.0x kernels

I’m pretty sure I did it with less back when slackware came on floppies but at this point I don’t remember what ai was running in 1993.

@raindog308 said:

@angstrom said:

I’m pretty sure I did it with less back when slackware came on floppies but at this point I don’t remember what ai was running in 1993.

Certainly, one could compile early kernel versions with less than 16 MB, but if I remember well, one needed more than 4 MB RAM to compile 2.2x kernels

In any case, I felt like I had a huge amount of RAM with 16 MB :)

@angstrom said:

Certainly, one could compile early kernel versions with less than 16 MB, but if I remember well, one needed more than 4 MB RAM to compile 2.2x kernels

In any case, I felt like I had a huge amount of RAM with 16 MB :)

I remember when 64K felt huge LOL

Two things stand out in my mind of the early-90s Linux era:

• Compiling your own kernel was either mandatory or very common. I did a lot of "make mrproper" and "make config" and then later the glorious "make menuconfig" came along. I learned a ton by learning about different options that were available and looking up technologies I'd never heard of before.

• Because the unviersity computer center was about a 2-mile walking round trip from my student housing, I quickly learned to make two copies of each floppy.

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@raindog308 said: what ai was running in 1993.

Dr. Who was running AI in 1993.

@raindog308 said: Compiling your own kernel was either mandatory or very common. I did a lot of "make mrproper" and "make config" and then later the glorious "make menuconfig" came along. I learned a ton by learning about different options that were available and looking up technologies I'd never heard of before.

Indeed

Back then, the main practical reason for compiling one's own kernel was to save RAM (at a time when RAM was very expensive) and (as a result) to make the kernel run more quickly

Nowadays, this practical reason for compiling one's own kernel is simply no longer compelling, not to mention that compiling one's own kernel has become an expert skill (because of the complexity)

NetBSD and OpenBSD are systems where compiling one's own kernel is still practically feasible

@Maounique said:

@raindog308 said: what ai was running in 1993.

Dr. Who was running AI in 1993.

LOL...well, at least my typos are funny.

And there was some AI in 1993...

@angstrom said: Nowadays, this practical reason for compiling one's own kernel is simply no longer compelling, not to mention that compiling one's own kernel has become an expert skill (because of the complexity)

I honestly can't remember the last time I compiled one. Probably during some Gentoo flirtation.

@angstrom said: NetBSD and OpenBSD are systems where compiling one's own kernel is still practically feasible

OpenBSD gives you a new kernel every time you boot :smile: (I realize that's just relinking for randomization, not a recompile).

Thanked by 1angstrom

@raindog308 said: I honestly can't remember the last time I compiled one. Probably during some Gentoo flirtation.

In many cases, embedded kernels must be recompiled when replacing the original due to the need to add drivers or variants of drivers for various quirky peripherals. Dealing with embedded systems is an art and detective work, heck, sometimes X86 standard systems fail mysteriously, embedded ones need a miracle to work at the first try.

I realize that's just relinking for randomization, not a recompile

Arguably, you can force a recompile without changing anything and still getting a different blob, but that wouldn't be a different kernel, let alone new :P

@raindog308 said: I’m pretty sure I did it with less back when slackware came on floppies

I got my first Slack on CD! It was still just a number of directories with the floppy contents and I had to take it to work to extract on floppies, but, hey, the new era was there :P

Now I have the urge to fire up a VM and install slackware from floppies.

https://mirrors.slackware.com/slackware/slackware-1.1.2/

http://slackware.absolutehosting.net/pub/slackware/slackware-1.1.2/FILE_LIST

I'm shocked at how many of these floppies I remember. N1 was the networking you NEEDED, N2 was mail, N3 was USENET...

@raindog308 said: Now I have the urge to fire up a VM and install slackware from floppies.

You would need to throttle it at .01 of 1 core for an authentic experience :D

I remember when I got my first 486 DX/66, still a PS/2 but desktop and a VGA BW monitor. I was able to see one star trek TNG episode on it, "Cause and Effect", the only one I had. I worked for an entire day to make it smooth, i.e. when too much movement it was lagging and then went faster. It never really went away, but I managed to make it hard to see.

@raindog308 said:
    Now I have the urge to fire up a VM and install slackware from floppies.

30+ floppies?

Ain't nobody got time for that!

@angstrom said: 30+ floppies?

I think they were 14, iirc, in my case.

@Maounique said:

@angstrom said: 30+ floppies?

I think they were 14, iirc, in my case.

For v1.1.2 (cited above), I count 30+ if one wants the full package:

https://mirrors.slackware.com/slackware/slackware-1.1.2/

@angstrom said: For v1.1.2 (cited above), I count 30+ if one wants the full package:

I don't remember what version it was, at that time you were not planning on upgrading any time soon in order to patch vulnerabilities, however was on a CHIP magazine CD. I think I might still have it (the CD, not the magazine). It was the time when many people were still wondering how come an OS like that was still free and some were saying it is a kind of a shareware and will charge later.

For me it was something that worked better than windows 3.1 (not 3.11) the portable PC came with and I have managed to make it even faster after a lot of tweaks. It was at a completely different level even compared with windows 95 I saw on other people's "performant" computers.

• @angstrom said:

@lol_fire said:

@Maounique said:

@hampered said: didn't realise how little 512mb is

You must be new here. Some of us ran whole linux OSes in 4 MB and I was very happy with 64 KB and a Z80 back in the day.

am too young to even think its possible :( but it was back in the day

Yes, it was back in the day. See my signature :)

damnn diving in this rabbithole wish me luck