Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

extravm suspended all my vps without notice, what can I do ? - Page 6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

extravm suspended all my vps without notice, what can I do ?

Comments

• @kdh said: Using 10TB/mo on a 3$/mo JP VPS is honestly being a dick, but asking a client for proof to prove themself innocent is also a dick move.

agree with this. another provider just locked my account for asking refund and pointing out their shady business practices and being unprofessional. I've contacted my lawyers and soon making a new thread about it on LET. The reason is one of my client's domain is now locked out. And this needs a separate thread.

• VoidVoid Member

@yoursunny said:

@MikeA said:

@aqua said:
    What a fucking mess.

If you can't refund via Alipay, refund via a different payment method. I don't use Alipay, and doubt I ever will.

I think most companies generally don't pay customers (just like accepting crypto then paying them PayPal via refund) to avoid some money laundering BS, I'd consider it if the client doesn't want to continue service, but I don't know.

My bro Florin refunded me by sending an ACH deposit when he couldn't figure out how to refund credit card payment.

On a different but slightly related note, brohost entered LET with something like this. Remember the €6 150GB NAT server that went up to €12 and then to €24? Maybe unintentional/newbie mistake but very close to bait and switch nevertheless.

• @emgh said:
    A third bad thing: Mike's reply in the ticket he himself linked, reading: "Can you explain why you are [...] then attempt to blackmail me?"

This in response to the client writing: "I will post a article on lowendtalk and other vps forum, let more people to judge".

Blackmail? idk man, sounds like a client feeling wronged

I dunno, I think basically saying "give me what I ask for or I will go and badmouth you in public to try and hurt you" is kind of the very definition of blackmail.

Not sure either side comes out of this looking great, but especially in the LET world, threatening your provider is a super fast way of not being a customer much longer.

Thanked by 1NobodyInteresting
  • @ahnlak said: I dunno, I think basically saying "give me what I ask for or I will go and badmouth you in public to try and hurt you" is kind of the very definition of blackmail.

Does it really says "give me what I asked" or "Don't be a dick, honor the deal you created with more BW or I will post that you changed terms and you are not willing to work shit out" review?

Thanked by 1emgh
  • VoidVoid Member

@kdh said: Using 10TB/mo on a 3$/mo JP VPS is honestly being a dick,

Not if he was promised 10TB/m and paid for it. Price and place is irrelevant. Can’t deliver ? Don’t promise.

You can’t offer 100 pizzas for $1 and then insult a guy saying he ate so many pizzas but paid only $1

• ralfralf Member

@ahnlak said:

@emgh said:
    A third bad thing: Mike's reply in the ticket he himself linked, reading: "Can you explain why you are [...] then attempt to blackmail me?"

This in response to the client writing: "I will post a article on lowendtalk and other vps forum, let more people to judge".

Blackmail? idk man, sounds like a client feeling wronged

I dunno, I think basically saying "give me what I ask for or I will go and badmouth you in public to try and hurt you" is kind of the very definition of blackmail.

Or alternatively: "you give me what I paid for and that we had a contract for, or I will go and badmouth you in public to try to get what I paid for".

It's worth taking an actual look at what Mike himself posted:

On 27th:

I know the tokyo bandwidth is expensive than other location. But as a honest businessman, you should keep your promise.

Unfortunately this has to be done as Tokyo is the most heavily abuse location, with most people attempting to run high bandwidth proxies (I assume this may be what you are doing as well?) for public or commercial use which is against our terms of service.

So, at first, he has no knowledge of whether the client has run a proxy, he just makes an assumption.

On 28th:

Your services are being terminated for breach of our terms of service and bandwidth policies regarding hosting public/commercial proxy services. Upon inspecting recent traffic data from your services, it is apparent that you're hosting public/commercial proxies across multiple VPS here to proxy streaming services such as Netflix, Disney, YouTube, and other streaming services which is a breach of our terms and streaming services you're proxying to bypass restrictions terms of service.

Per our terms of service:
    https://extravm.com/tos.php (https://extravm.com/tos.php)
    LINE 30:
    We do not allow public or commercial VPN services to be used on our network, unless it has been agreed upon before the service is activated.

Now at this point, he's really dishing out the accusations based on streaming of commercial services meaning that he is categorically operating a commercial VPN on this rather than for private use.

Later on:

Or you just delete these vps and refund money to me ?

A refund cannot be done, as you paid with ALIPAY, which does not allow refunds after 60 days. It is IMPOSSIBLE for me to do, they do not allow it.

So here the client has offered to leave if he gets a refund, and MikeA refuses point blank. At this point he really has no credibility left.

Even if OP was running a VPN service, the correct response would have been to suspend the VPS that was being used for this purpose, with a ticket, until he was satisfied it wasn't being using in violation of the TOS, and if that couldn't be established to proactively offer a refund.

Now from the fact that the OP says that he has hundreds of such VPS, then maybe he is in fact running a VPN operation, but that's kind of moot. ExtraVM didn't choose to enforce their TOS, but instead MikeA changed everyone's terms on an already paid for service, which is a definite bait and switch.

He then made accusations based on speculation about a customer that complained (and who knows how many more there were who kept silent) and only later tried to find evidence to support his claims when there was pushback, then cancelled his clients service (and all of this 3 days before the new changes were even supposed to take effect), and then refused to provide a refund.

BTW why you Suspended my LA vps . This vps did not used at all.

If you are using all VPS for the same purpose this is why

Again, another service cancellation based purely on speculation, this time in a region where he's still advertising unlimited bandwidth. And yet in his own message here:

I was going to refund you but AliPay doesn't allow it. Either stop doing what you're doing, or I can move you VPS to a non-Asia location and I will let it go, but this will continue to be handled in the ticket.

Gotta say, there's no way in hell that I'd consider using ExtraVM for anything after this. Absolutely disgraceful behaviour from a provider that's been in the business long enough that they really ought to be able to know if a deal they're planning on offering can be sustainable or not.

Even if they realised they'd messed up with their deal and this customer was costing them more in overage, if you take his claims that very few people had paid yearly at face value, then this would have been an easy task to let the monthlies just roll into the new bandwidth limit, identify which of those few people on yearlies were actually using a lot of bandwidth and proactively offer them a full refund for the inconvenience because you can't support them any longer. Full refund because it's the provider's mistake and incompetence that caused the service as sold to not be profitable, and if it was near the end of the contract then they might as well suck-it-up until the end of the year, and if it's near the start then the few dollars extra they have to refund is worth it for the inconvenience they're causing the customer by pulling the rug from under them.

• @JabJab said:

@ahnlak said: I dunno, I think basically saying "give me what I ask for or I will go and badmouth you in public to try and hurt you" is kind of the very definition of blackmail.

Does it really says "give me what I asked" or "Don't be a dick, honor the deal you created with more BW or I will post that you changed terms and you are not willing to work shit out" review?

Well it literally says "if you don't agree to my proposal below..."; sure, it might be justifiable blackmail but it's still blackmail. Anyone saying that and expecting to have a healthy ongoing relationship with a provider is naive, at best.

• ralfralf Member
    edited March 2023

@ahnlak said:

@JabJab said:

@ahnlak said: I dunno, I think basically saying "give me what I ask for or I will go and badmouth you in public to try and hurt you" is kind of the very definition of blackmail.

Well it literally says "if you don't agree to my proposal below..."; sure, it might be justifiable blackmail but it's still blackmail. Anyone saying that and expecting to have a healthy ongoing relationship with a provider is naive, at best.

IANAL but I think blackmail requires the extortion or money of other benefits from someone, not just asking them to honour a contract they willingly entered into. Even more significantly, in this case the seller proposed the contract and the purchaser agreed to it, so they are hardly in a position to claim the contract was unfair.

And TBH, I'm not sure it really matters what their relationship is like after that. If the customer has paid for 12 months service with X features, they should get 12 months service with X features. If the provider is vindictive enough to try to sabotage the service because they customer wants to continue to use the service they paid for because of a bad business relationship, then they are opening themselves up to even more potential legal liabilities.

Thanked by 2emgh TimboJones
  • AdvinAdvin Member, Patron Provider
  • @ralf said:

@ahnlak said:

@JabJab said:

IANAL but I think blackmail requires the extortion or money of other benefits from someone, not just asking them to honour a contract they willingly entered into. Even more significantly, in this case the seller proposed the contract and the purchaser agreed to it, so they are hardly in a position to claim the contract was unfair.

And TBH, I'm not sure it really matters what their relationship is like after that. If the customer has paid for 12 months service with X features, they should get 12 months service with X features. If the provider is vindictive enough to try to sabotage the service because they customer wants to continue to use the service they paid for because of a bad business relationship, then they are opening themselves up to even more potential legal liabilities.

Meh; changing the terms of service mid-contract is a dick move, but shit happens and it's the risk to take snapping up too-good-to-be-true deals from LET hosts.

I genuinely can't imagine what OP thought would happen when he started threatening LET threads; it's got to be up there with opening specious PayPal disputes as a great way to burn bridges with no real upside.

TL;DR - everyone involved is an asshat to some degree, but none of it exactly surprising or particularly terrible.

• I just want to point out that what happened here is nothing new.

We've seen so much of these on LET with varying levels of outcome.

I can understand both OP and Vendor's concerns. But at the end of the day it just wasn't a good fit for either people.

Thanked by 2kait jlet88
  • ralfralf Member
    edited March 2023

@ahnlak said:
    I genuinely can't imagine what OP thought would happen when he started threatening LET threads; it's got to be up there with opening specious PayPal disputes as a great way to burn bridges with no real upside.

When your provider has first dropped the level of service provided to a fraction of what was paid for, and then when you complain suspends your service and refuses a refund... I kind of think that anything is an upside compared to that.

• @ralf said:

@ahnlak said:

When your provider has first dropped the level of service provided to a fraction of what was paid for, and then when you complain suspends your service and refuses a refund... I kind of think that anything is an upside compared to that.

I might be reading the timeline wrong, but he doesn't look to have suspended any service until after the threat (which is precisely the response I'd expect from 75% of the providers here, tbh)

• I dont know how anyone sane can defend Mike
    OP basically got scammed by him
    I can totally understand feelings jinwyp have
    He paid for 10T he should have 10T
    Being able to use 100% out of 100% bandwidth he paid for.

hey! its japan! its expensive! you cannot do it like that!

I dont care, you offered deal - I paid for it
    Its not about being dick at all or for god sake blackmailing

your bandwidth got reduced after prepaid

its ridiculous, its scam
    you risk, take that risk

all I know is to avoid extravm brand, thanks for informative thread

Thanked by 2emgh waynechris
  • emghemgh Member

You guys also only take home 1/4 of your purchased groceries in-case it was cheap, in order to not be a dick?

• henixhenix Member

Maxkvm 2

Thanked by 1MaxKVM
  • @tjn said:
    I love how @jinwyp has disappeared in all of this

I have a gut feeling he replied here under two or more aliases.

• So OP get 10 TB of bandwidth, but when he used few, he got suspected? Ok so I can sell you 100 TB /m Tokio VPS but after 1 TB /m you will be terminated ...

Thanked by 2emgh yoursunny
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited March 2023

Unrelated question, but: Is @PieHasBeenEaten the evolved version of @HalfEatenPie (afterall, the pie is gone now) or is there some other mystery about these similar names? Just now realized we have two Pies in LE community. I knew both nicknames before, but somehow always mixed them up and thought they were just one user, really.

• PagePage Member

Support is a complete pile of shit.

I have used their VPS before and that was in 2019.

Their support has no rules to follow, it's totally based on the emotions of the support staff or not.

The most ridiculous thing is... a bunch of people on LET licking his chocolate colored ass.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@Page said: The most ridiculous thing is... a bunch of people on LET licking his chocolate colored ass.

I think it's important to note that a healthy amount are doing the opposite. When things like this become too concerning is when there's obviously room for disagreement (ex. we don't know, for a fact, what OP was doing with their VPS) and nearly universal opinion siding with one party. Healthy disagreement is rare here, this thread seems to mostly consist of it and I think that's great.

Thanked by 2ahnlak jlet88
  • PieHasBeenEatenPieHasBeenEaten Member, Host Rep

@Ympker No @HalfEatenPie is the more sexier refined version. I’m the crude overbearing loving type leaving Boston creampies everywhere I go. We are two different people but his pie is half eaten and mine is totally eaten.

Thanked by 2Ympker yoursunny
  • jlet88jlet88 Member
    edited March 2023

@jar said:
    Healthy disagreement is rare here, this thread seems to mostly consist of it and I think that's great.

Agreed. This thread has had a lot of thoughtful comments, plenty of different perspectives, etc... and while the situation is unfortunate, and I hope they can still resolve it amicably, the fact that there's been what I consider an overall healthy exchange of LET members is pretty good. Kudos to the forum members. And again, hope these guys can still get it worked out in a positive way. It would be a shame if it ends acrimoniously.

Thanked by 1jar
  • It is possible to use alipay to get a refund, because I also got a refund from a VPS provider a few days ago, and the communication between us is completely the opposite of this matter.

Does MikeA have traffic usage logs? Can jinwyw provide more detailed usage information? Such as URL. Nginx is a common proxy deployment method. Is this your Github page? https://github.com/jinwyp/one_click_script

Usually private proxies don't use a lot of traffic, unless you watch videos all day long.

• lonealonea Member, Host Rep

@MikeA said: You're the exact reason Tokyo bandwidth on plans was reduced from unmetered, to 20tb/mo, to 1/tb per 1gb over the past 2-3 months. Yeah, $3.64/mo for a 20TB-Unmetered VPS in Tokyo on a black friday deal isn't sustainable when everyone abuses it.

Haha what?

If you don't want people to "abuse" your service, then don't offer unmetered.

This is on you, not the client.

Thanked by 1ralf
  • lonealonea Member, Host Rep

LOL, some bait and switch host that offers "unmetered" bandwidth is blaming the customer for using the "unmetered" bandwidth.

HAHAHA

• @PieHasBeenEaten said: leaving Boston creampies everywhere I go

• VoidVoid Member

Host reps entered the roast game

This discussion has been closed.