Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

extravm suspended all my vps without notice, what can I do ? - Page 9
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

extravm suspended all my vps without notice, what can I do ?

Comments

• @Andreix said: abuse the hell out of that service and then try to discredit the provider

Is using the bandwidth you paid for considered an abuse?

Thanked by 1lonea
  • AndreixAndreix Member, Host Rep

@treesmokah said:

@Andreix said: abuse the hell out of that service and then try to discredit the provider

The activity itself may be considered abuse. And quite illegal to some extent.
    Also, you need to make sure first that no ToS keep you for fully using the bandwidth of a service. Also2, you need to make sure you understand what a guaranteed bandwidth and a fair-usage/best-effort one is.

• @Andreix said:

@treesmokah said:

@Andreix said: abuse the hell out of that service and then try to discredit the provider

Also, you need to make sure first that no ToS keep you for fully using the bandwidth of a service. Also2, you need to make sure you understand what a guaranteed bandwidth and a fair-usage/best-effort one is.

What are you talking about?
    Is using the bandwidth you paid for illegal?

If you are talking about alleged "streaming abuse" or whatever the fuck ExtraVM said.
    I'm not aware of any abuse report that came out of this, and if there was no abuse report - this provider intentionally wanted to kick this person out of the platform by checking their services.

As long as something is not generating abuse reports - hosting providers should stay the fuck away from their customer boxes.

Thanked by 2fluffernutter lonea

@treesmokah said:

@Andreix said:

@treesmokah said:

What are you talking about?
    Is using the bandwidth you paid for illegal?

If you are talking about alleged "streaming abuse" or whatever the fuck ExtraVM said.
    I'm not aware of any abuse report that came out of this, and if there was no abuse report - this provider intentionally wanted to kick this person out of the platform by checking their services.

As long as something is not generating abuse reports - hosting providers should stay the fuck away from their customer boxes.

So, OVH blocking your IP for spam, even tho no abuse is received, OVH should "stay the fuck away" and let a spammer abuse the service that may result in a permanent RBL/BAN on the IP that is provider's property?

Damn logic.

Thanked by 1NobodyInteresting
  • treesmokahtreesmokah Member
    edited March 2023

@Andreix said: So, OVH blocking your IP for spam

How exactly can they tell you are spamming if nobody complained?
    Isn't spam unsolicited communication? How do they know recipients did not want it if nobody complained?

You keep mentioning "logic" yet what you are saying is absolutely illogical.

Thanked by 1lonea
  • FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep

@treesmokah said: by checking their services.

The provider has ALL rights to monitor network traffic arising from the box, and suspend/terminate any service from any client for any reason.

The customer clearly agreed to their terms of service before purchasing, and I did a quick lookup on the domains see1.cf and see2.cf in shodan and they seem to use a variety of ports from 9000-9100, which I assume are trojan/xray ports.

edited March 2023

@FatGrizzly said:

The provider has ALL rights to monitor network traffic arising from the box, and suspend/terminate any service from any client for any reason.

The customer clearly agreed to their terms of service before purchasing, and I did a quick lookup on the domains see1.cf and see2.cf in shodan and they seem to use a variety of ports from 9000-9100, which I assume are trojan/xray ports.

The provider has right to do whatever the fuck they want - but do they do that?
    The provider can kick you out for a bogus reason and not refund you, but do they do that?

It depends on what the provider wants to do;

• provide the service
    • fuck their reputation
    • kick someone out because they dont like the person

Now choose what was done here.

I believe providers should stay away from their customers if they are not causing problems.
    Seems like the problem here was using the product customer paid for which is absolutely fucking retarded.

Any provider randomly going to ppl boxes just to find a reason to kick them out(without any abuse reports) is a pussy and privacy invader.

edited March 2023

I feel like I'm gonna regret asking this but: Have you owned any consumer-oriented business until now? Or are you speaking from fairytales books?

I keep using logic, because all things in this real world must have a logic.
    If you own a car, you can use it to 5k revs all the time, for example. Would be a good idea to use it like so? Would it reduce the lifespan of that car?
    Would it justify the repair costs your desire to go full rev for 600km each day?

There the logic starts to kick in.
    Of course the car CAN be used in full revs, but the logic says won't be a good idea as you may need a new motor or gears soon.
    Aside from that, you may also annoy people with the loud engine sound and may end up with them calling the police on you to reduce the noise.

Same with a service. Do not forget that the customer does NOT own the service, but only has the permission to USE it, as long as it's used within the provider's guidelines. Otherwise, this "permission to use" may be retracted at any time.

• avelineaveline Member, Patron Provider

@ralf said:

@MikeA said:

The github user and the user here have the same profile picture. So I guess @MikeA could be correct about what the server is being used for.

Then it's just a case of whether it's for public or private use.

Yes, he was running public proxies based on his public script (unlikely only that). There is no denying it, and I was 100% certain of this when I suspended him. I wouldn't have suspended his servers if I wasn't 100% certain about this.

What makes you so sure it was a public client? Everything about that repo suggests it's designed for private use. Were you actually seeing wireguard clients from many different IPs connecting to this machine?

In any case, the wording of your messages in the ticket history that you yourself posted strongly suggests you were only speculating he was running a proxy at the time you suspended his machines. If you knew that for a fact, why wouldn't you have said so?

He already mentioned xray in his ticket. Xray is a popular proxy software in China.

2 I am running a nginx and xray web service . It is not as you said for streaming services

Thanked by 1treesmokah

@treesmokah said:

@FatGrizzly said:

The provider has right to do whatever the fuck they want - but do they do that?
    The provider can kick you out for a bogus reason and not refund you, but do they do that?

It depends on what the provider wants to do;

• provide the service
    • fuck their reputation
    • kick someone out because they dont like the person

Now choose what was done here.

I believe providers should stay away from their customers if they are not causing problems.
    Seems like the problem here was using the product customer paid for which is absolutely fucking retarded.

Any provider randomly going to ppl boxes just to find a reason to kick them out(without any abuse reports) is a pussy and privacy invader.

I don't know, but if I were jin, I would've either asked for compensation via account credit function WHMCS, as the result of reduction of bandwidth or a bump in my ram/cpu/disk to compensate the change.

OP seriously wanted the bandwidth, got raged enough and started blackmailing the support operator(in this case, Mike). (I will post about you on X if you don't do the X changes to my services.)

This could have went smoothly, if he hadn't blackmailed the operator and could've went a bit more peaceful to either get account credit or even a partial refund.

and top of that, I donot think @MikeA is stupid either, once he got a few red flags on Jin, he has checked the network logs, and I assume he has seen a bunch of ips connecting(?) to the service and has kicked Jin off. It is also clear, no contract was signed for the service, rather it was just paid yearly.

I am not against your belief, but it changes from situation to situation, you're more of a privacy guy, using privacy based services, but in the real world things change quite a bit.

in Shared hosting, Imunify360 has a page "reputation"(?), where it checks the domains in the server against google's safebrowsing list. Once I see that, I investigate that account and suspend, if required.(with no abuse report being received)

In VPS hosting, it might be technically the same? I don't have much experience with vps hosting yet, but I bet there is least one sys sitting there and monitoring traffic from that dedi/dc.(i.e sudden full port burst, etc)

Here, the provider didn't go/login to client's box to investigate, rather just check outgoing/incoming network traffic, which is fully fine I believe.

and... I don't side with the provider nor the client here. Both sites could've been handled better

• emghemgh Member
    edited March 2023

25 more replies, many of them uneducated guesses like the one below:

@MikePT said: 1 - Mike stated the OP was running commercial and/or proxy servers.

The fact that so many people don't read and understand the ticket linked in the first reply makes any further discussion meaningless, it's all there. Reading it makes the situation apparent.

In the ticket, it is clear that Mike's allegation on the proxy being a commercial proxy is based on the "fact" that there's a proxy on the VPS used to access commercial websites, he writes:
    "Can you explain why you are knowingly using my VPS for proxying commercial streaming services?"

No one have replied to me, providing an explanation as to how any private proxy used to access any commercial website could ever fall into the below terms:
    "We do not allow public or commercial VPN services to be used on our network, unless it has been agreed upon before the service is activated. Private VPNs that are only intended for the clients private use is allowed."

A private proxy using a commercial website is NOT a commercial VPN service, both sentences contain the word commercial, but there's a huge difference as to what it actually means.

• emghemgh Member
    edited March 2023

@FatGrizzly said: and top of that, I donot think @MikeA is stupid either, once he got a few red flags on Jin, he has checked the network logs, and I assume he has seen a bunch of ips connecting(?) to the service and has kicked Jin off

That's a stupid thing to do for a not stupid person considering Jin already explained that he got hundreds of VPS, if his own servers connected, that's therefore hundreds of IPs already.

@emgh said:

@FatGrizzly said: and top of that, I donot think @MikeA is stupid either, once he got a few red flags on Jin, he has checked the network logs, and I assume he has seen a bunch of ips connecting(?) to the service and has kicked Jin off

That's a stupid thing to do for a not stupid person considering Jin already explained that he got hundreds of VPS, if his own servers connected, that's therefore hundreds of IPs already.

i assumed mike looked up a few ips from that, geolocating to china.

• emghemgh Member
    edited March 2023

@FatGrizzly said:

@emgh said:

i assumed mike looked up a few ips from that, geolocating to china.

Could very much be the truth, if so, I rest my case.

We can't know though, sadly.

My fear is that he acted just like the decisions before and didn't think it through.

Ten minutes between "you've got 24 hours" and "you're done" in the ticket.

• @Andreix said:
    If you own a car, you can use it to 5k revs all the time, for example. Would be a good idea to use it like so? Would it reduce the lifespan of that car?
    Would it justify the repair costs your desire to go full rev for 600km each day?

Of course the car CAN be used in full revs, but the logic says won't be a good idea as you may need a new motor or gears soon.
    Aside from that, you may also annoy people with the loud engine sound and may end up with them calling the police on you to reduce the noise.

I am certain that car manufacturers explicitly tell people in the handbook to not drive the car with high RPM all the time or when cold.

What actually happened is that the car was advertised to go 20k km at 5k RPM no problem every month. And im fairly certain there are peopel who would try it. Obviously I blame the manufacturer or the seller for fales advertising if it suddenly breaks at 2k km.

@buddermilch said:

@Andreix said:

I am certain that car manufacturers explicitly tell people in the handbook to not drive the car with high RPM all the time or when cold.

What actually happened is that the car was advertised to go 20k km at 5k RPM no problem every month. And im fairly certain there are peopel who would try it. Obviously I blame the manufacturer or the seller for fales advertising if it suddenly breaks at 2k km.

but the car manufacturer later sent an email to their clients about it, most clients went past by, but one client was upset. If he hadn't pulled the blackmail out, he would have probably got a refund or credits or compensatory resources.

• @FatGrizzly said: If he hadn't pulled the blackmail out, he would have probably got a refund or credits or compensatory resources.

I can assure You would be doing the same if you were in a similar situation.

The ticket that was linked looks absolutely ridiculous.

Thanked by 2emgh ralf
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@hiphiphip0 said:
    Providers could put these on the order page based on browser language.to avoid problem:

You expecting people to read stuff.

• ralfralf Member
    edited March 2023

@FatGrizzly said:

@buddermilch said:

@Andreix said:

but the car manufacturer later sent an email to their clients about it, most clients went past by, but one client was upset. If he hadn't pulled the blackmail out, he would have probably got a refund or credits or compensatory resources.

Given the facts from MikeA himself:

Yeah, $3.64/mo for a 20TB-Unmetered VPS in Tokyo on a black friday deal isn't sustainable
    If you like I can cancel and refund your services, or you can pay $3.80/TB overage.

A much better analogy would be:

You buy a 20-seat minibus, but a couple of months later the manufacturer tells you that everyone who bought such a 20-seat minibus is now only allowed to use 1 seat, even though most people who bought the minibus did so because it had 20 seats.

However, it's not like there's a problem with any of these seats... If you really want to use more than 1 seat, you have to pay more than the original purchase price again for every additional seat you use that month.

Oh, and if you complain about it, how about we just destroy the vehicle within 24 hours, even though the new seat rules haven't even kicked it yet. 10 minutes later: "Screw that, you don't deserve to have a vehicle at all. Oh you want a refund? Well tough luck, you should have paid a different way."

P.S. I should add that this has nothing much to do with the OP's situation where was running a proxy that may or may not have been commercial. These are the terms that were applied to ALL customers, it's just that OP brought it to our attention.

• lonealonea Member, Host Rep

@SirFoxy said: Ppl are making this personal when it's about money. Two ppl came together for a business transaction, one paid, they couldn't agree, he was refunded. It's fair. No need for drama.

>

This is actually about false advertising. Refunding the OP doesn't mean the company in question didn't commit false advertisement.

@FatGrizzly said: which I assume are trojan/xray ports.

At the end of the day, Assumption...

@FatGrizzly said: i assumed mike looked up a few ips from that, geolocating to china.

>

I've said it in the beginning of this thread.

Any provider on LET that is selling VPS in Japan/Singapore is targeting Chinese customers to use with VPN/proxy.

At the end of the day, doesn't matter where the IPs are from or what the VPS is being used for.

The company in question knows their intended target audience for their service. They just oversold their shit...

Thanked by 1yoursunny

@lonea said:

@FatGrizzly said: i assumed mike looked up a few ips from that, geolocating to china.

>

I've said it in the beginning of this thread.

Any provider on LET that is selling VPS in Japan/Singapore is targeting Chinese customers to use with VPN/proxy.

At the end of the day, doesn't matter where the IPs are from or what the VPS is being used for.

The company in question knows their intended target audience for their service. They just oversold their shit...

You are assuming that asian servers are primarily for proxies, maybe your clients are?

I've virtual servers in APAC too, not for proxying or VPN's.

As far as I can see, Mike was already striken by "unmetered" usage. According to archive.org on August of 2022 it's unmetered. Then by November it's capped at whatever limit it is, and now has reduced now too.

So Mike has already gone through a price increase? I don't know.

But if the case was "unmetered" now, Jin would be wrong one here according to tos.

@treesmokah said:

@FatGrizzly said: If he hadn't pulled the blackmail out, he would have probably got a refund or credits or compensatory resources.

I would've atleast asked for compensation instead of creating a thread. My resource or my money is worth than provider defamation / drama on LET.

@FatGrizzly said: I've virtual servers in APAC too, not for proxying or VPN's.

Haha, you completely missed the point.

If the company is selling "unmetered" VPS in APAC, they ARE intended for VPN/proxy.

edited March 2023

@FatGrizzly said:

@treesmokah said:

@FatGrizzly said: If he hadn't pulled the blackmail out, he would have probably got a refund or credits or compensatory resources.

I would've atleast asked for compensation instead of creating a thread. My resource or my money is worth than provider defamation / drama on LET.

Mate, if something isn't right - you should not give a fuck about provider reputation.
    If you are spit at, you want to fuck someone up - not happily take it on your face.

I have no fucking idea why would anyone care about "reputation" of a provider that literally ripped you off.

I would've atleast asked for compensation

Oh yeah, it would work 100% after the provider told him to fuck off ater 10 minutes.

You are a confused human being.

• tldr.

I spend a few days at a client site and this thread's still going on with people going at each other's throats.

Why can't we be friends? Situation sucks and shit sucks. Doesn't mean we should go at each other's throats.

@treesmokah said:

@FatGrizzly said:

@treesmokah said:

Mate, if something isn't right - you should not give a fuck about provider reputation.
    If you are spit at, you want to fuck someone up - not happily take it on your face.

I have no fucking idea why would anyone care about "reputation" of a provider that literally ripped you off.

I would've atleast asked for compensation

Oh yeah, it would work 100% after the provider told him to fuck off ater 10 minutes.

You are a confused human being.

I'm sorry but you're the one who are confused here.

The provider clearly told him to fuck off just due to the blackmail, if he had done something else, Mike would've gone easier for him. Did you note that OP mentioned he hasn't used much bandwidth in the past, those stats can be used to ask for compensation rather than going hardcore and blackmailing to get stuff.

FG out, OP got his refund, we got drama.

• @FatGrizzly said: FG out, OP got his refund, we got drama.

Ooh can I get a link to this post?

@HalfEatenPie said:

@FatGrizzly said: FG out, OP got his refund, we got drama.

Ooh can I get a link to this post?

https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3629731#Comment_3629731

Thanked by 1HalfEatenPie
This discussion has been closed.