Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

extravm suspended all my vps without notice, what can I do ? - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

extravm suspended all my vps without notice, what can I do ?

Comments

• jamespeachjamespeach Member
    edited February 2023

If @MikeA does not resolve this situation he should be banned from LowEndTalk permanently. He has already ruined his entire reputation here by admitting he is in the wrong and refusing to correct any mistakes. He has already lost my business being here, as sure as many others. Changing the terms after an agreement has been made, is by definition a bait and switch scam, which also by definition is a scam. Doesn't matter the reasoning behind it, this is a scam.

I actually almost had a similar issue with Frantech believe it or not. This was years ago, but Fran admitted the mistake (it was more of a bad employee not the company itself), fixed the issue, and made up for it. Frantech made the same mistake and admitted the fault and fixed it. Thats a good company. ExtraVM is a flaming pile of shit by blaming the customer instead for their own fault, and changing the deals, and trying to charge the OP for fees he never agreed to. What a shitty owner. Go fuck yourself Mike. I don't even have any personal issues with you, but seeing how you are treating this situations shows how much of a asshole that you really are. Can't wait to see your company go under, it will with a owner that treats issues like this.

Thanked by 1lonea
  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited February 2023

@jamespeach said:
    If @MikeA does not resolve this situation he should be banned from LowEndTalk permanently. He has already ruined his entire reputation here by admitting he is in the wrong and refusing to correct any mistakes. He has already lost my business being here, as sure as many others. Changing the terms after an agreement has been made, is by definition a bait and switch scam, which also by definition is a scam. Doesn't matter the reasoning behind it, this is a scam.

I actually almost had a similar issue with Frantech believe it or not. This was years ago, but Fran admitted the mistake (it was more of a bad employee not the company itself), fixed the issue, and made up for it. Frantech made the same mistake and admitted the fault and fixed it. Thats a good company. ExtraVM is a flaming pile of shit.

I am not reverting to go back to offering 20TB bandwidth in the Tokyo location for my companies VPS plans because of this blackmail thread :smile:

I hope you have a better day @jamespeach !

• @MikeA said:

@jamespeach said:

I actually almost had a similar issue with Frantech believe it or not. This was years ago, but Fran admitted the mistake (it was more of a bad employee not the company itself), fixed the issue, and made up for it. Frantech made the same mistake and admitted the fault and fixed it. Thats a good company. ExtraVM is a flaming pile of shit.

I am not reverting to go back to offering 20TB bandwidth in the Tokyo location for my companies VPS plans because of this blackmail thread :smile:

Anyone quote this message. Dispute your charge. This is literally all the proof you need to get a full refund!

@jamespeach said:

@MikeA said:

@jamespeach said:

Anyone quote this message. Dispute your charge. This is literally all the proof you need to get a full refund!

Yes, anyone can request a refund in Tokyo if they like. I don't believe anyone actually has!

• jamespeachjamespeach Member
    edited February 2023

@MikeA said:

@jamespeach said:

@MikeA said:

@jamespeach said:

Yes, anyone can request a refund in Tokyo if they like. I don't believe anyone actually has!

You have already stated you would not allow refunds. Sure someone can request one, but that doesn't do jack shit if you are just going to decline them. You do realize I don't have any personal issues with you, you have nothing to correct for me. I am not trying to gain anything from you, I am just calling out a mother fucker when I see one, and you sir are a mother fucker. People like you really piss me off. Its not hard to be a good person, and you are doing everything in the wrong. Just be nice and fair to people, its not so fucking hard dude. Admit your own mistake and correct your issue. Jeez dude cmon grow up.

edited February 2023

@jamespeach said:
    You have already stated you would not allow refunds. Sure someone can request one, but that doesn't do jack shit if you are just going to decline them. You do realize I don't have any personal issues with you, you have nothing to correct for me. I am not trying to gain anything from you, I am just calling out a mother fucker when I see you, and you sir are a mother fucker. People like you really piss me off. Its not hard to be a good person, and you are doing everything in the wrong. Just be nice and fair to people, its not so fucking hard dude. Admit your own mistake and correct your issue. Jeez dude cmon grow up.

I don't think I stated I wouldn't allow refunds, correct me if wrong. Historically over the past many years I've almost always given refunds past my normal refund window when someone requests it. Obviously I don't openly advertise getting refunds months after the fact for obv reasons. You can be pissed off all you want and say bad things but you're only making your mental state worse for yourself.

• @MikeA said:

@jamespeach said:
    You have already stated you would not allow refunds. Sure someone can request one, but that doesn't do jack shit if you are just going to decline them. You do realize I don't have any personal issues with you, you have nothing to correct for me. I am not trying to gain anything from you, I am just calling out a mother fucker when I see you, and you sir are a mother fucker. People like you really piss me off. Its not hard to be a good person, and you are doing everything in the wrong. Just be nice and fair to people, its not so fucking hard dude. Admit your own mistake and correct your issue. Jeez dude cmon grow up.

I don't think I stated I wouldn't allow refunds, correct me if wrong. Historically over the past many years I've almost always given refunds past my normal refund window when someone requests it. Obviously I don't openly advertise getting refunds months after the fact for obv reasons. You can be pissed off all you want and say bad things but you're only making your mental state worse for yourself.

You stated you would not offer the OP a refund.

Say whatever makes you sleep at night. You are taking advantage of people, bait and switch scam by definition. You must by law do one of the following

1. Continue the original terms of the contract until the term ends. So if someone signed up for one year, you must offer them the unlimited data, or 20 TB until the end of the contract. Once they renew it, you can then only offer the 1 TB of data.
    2. Offer full refunds for the unused amount of time. For example if it was $12 a year, and someone used it for 2 months, you would need to refund $10.

You are changing the product. You don't have the luxury to do that during a contract. You made an agreement with your customers. Just as they must follow your terms, you must follow their terms. You are breaking your own agreement.

I am not a company owner. I don't have to be 100% accurate with everything I say. You are, you need to be smart and careful, which you are neither. I really hope you improve your ways, as you will fail hard if you keep this behavior up. I feel bad for all the people you are taking advantage of. Please just do whats right. You are taking advantage of people in mostly poorer countries, just how shitty of a person do you have to be. If you are needing some more money, perhaps you could try to take change out of homeless peoples bins when they aren't looking?

edited February 2023

@jamespeach said:
    You stated you would not offer the OP a refund.

I said it was impossible due to limitations with how he paid. How can I send a refund if the payment processor doesn't even allow it lol? I gave OP three options, he hasn't acknowledged it. He can choose how he wants to proceed, even options to keep his services despite breaching my terms of service. You can't.

Calling me a shitty person, a mother fucker, etc is funny and sad. Hope you have a better day.

• aquaaqua Member, Patron Provider

What a fucking mess.

If you can't refund via Alipay, refund via a different payment method. I don't use Alipay, and doubt I ever will.

Thanked by 1darkimmortal
    edited February 2023

@aqua said:
    What a fucking mess.

If you can't refund via Alipay, refund via a different payment method. I don't use Alipay, and doubt I ever will.

I think most companies generally don't pay customers (just like accepting crypto then paying them PayPal via refund) to avoid some money laundering BS, I'd consider it if the client doesn't want to continue service, but I don't know.

• TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited February 2023

@jiggawattz said:
    @MikeA Why did you offer unmetered in Tokyo in the first place? What did you expect to happen? That users will just limit themselves on a bandwidth-expensive continent distributing non-profit Linux ISO?

@concept @tjn @armnotstrong Nobody ever reads the TOS, and don’t pretend like anybody should.

Oof, not everyone is negligent and/or incompetent. Anyone here on LET for years should know better. Seriously amateur, buddy.

Edit: examples of why one would check permitted use: mail server, Minecraft server, TOR exit nodes, commercial services, proxies, DNS, etc.

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited February 2023

First of all, as @JabJab said, these are too many posts to read, but it seems like a refund would settle things for good and both parties could move on. Hence, I will not judge any party here (respective comments can already be found en-masse), but rather try to provide a means of resolving this and to move on.

Now, there appears to be the issue here that the payment method (AliPay; never used) doesn't allow for a refund. In that case, why not (partly) refund the 3 vps which have been prepaid each for a year (about 150€ in total) via an alternative payment method like PayPal or Bank Transfer and be done with it? It seems like either party can "win" here and it is clear both parties would benefit if this matter was settled for good.
    As for money laundering concerns, that's what tax consultants are for. They can likely say how refunds like this are handled. In Germany, you'd usually have to refund with the same payment method the client used to pay. Hence, if AliPay indeed can't be refunded, it's a payment method I'd just not offer to avoid situations like this.

Given that the contract (i.e. the bandwidth limit) was apparently modified for a service that was prepaid for a year, and it seems like the client<->provider relationship has been destroyed beyond repair (so the client is likely not going to want a service replacement with the vendor), both parties would benefit from resolving this situation for good and move on.

• @srch07 said:
    If MikeA does not resolve this situation he should be banned from LowEndTalk permanently. He has already ruined his entire reputation here by admitting he is in the wrong and refusing to correct any mistakes. He has already lost my business being here, as sure as many others. Changing the terms after an agreement has been made, is by definition a bait and switch scam, which also by definition is a scam. Doesn't matter the reasoning behind it, this is a scam.

I actually almost had a similar issue with Frantech believe it or not. This was years ago, but Fran admitted the mistake (it was more of a bad employee not the company itself), fixed the issue, and made up for it. Frantech made the same mistake and admitted the fault and fixed it. Thats a good company. ExtraVM is a flaming pile of shit by blaming the customer instead for their own fault, and changing the deals, and trying to charge the OP for fees he never agreed to. What a shitty owner. Go fuck yourself Mike. I don't even have any personal issues with you, but seeing how you are treating this situations shows how much of a asshole that you really are. Can't wait to see your company go under, it will with a owner that treats issues like this.

For a such an angry message it sure feels personal.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@MikeA said:

@aqua said:
    What a fucking mess.

I think most companies generally don't pay customers (just like accepting crypto then paying them PayPal via refund) to avoid some money laundering BS, I'd consider it if the client doesn't want to continue service, but I don't know.

My bro Florin refunded me by sending an ACH deposit when he couldn't figure out how to refund credit card payment.

• aquaaqua Member, Patron Provider

@yoursunny said:

@MikeA said:

@aqua said:
    What a fucking mess.

My bro Florin refunded me by sending an ACH deposit when he couldn't figure out how to refund credit card payment.

There's no money laundering thing to worry about if you have ticket proof and all invoice to provide information. I'm pretty sure most do it on cash payments (i.e services like Mullvad that accept mailed in cash) meaning that they won't sending you back cash.

Thanked by 1darkimmortal
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@aqua said:

@yoursunny said:

@MikeA said:

@aqua said:
    What a fucking mess.

There's no money laundering thing to worry about if you have ticket proof and all invoice to provide information. I'm pretty sure most do it on cash payments (i.e services like Mullvad that accept mailed in cash) meaning that they won't sending you back cash.

There's the risk of customer charging back the credit card payment, after receiving refund via ACH.
    I'm a standup guy that I'll never do that to my bro, but same can't be said to every customer.

• @yoursunny said:
    There's the risk of customer charging back the credit card payment, after receiving refund via ACH.
    I'm a standup guy that I'll never do that to my bro, but same can't be said to every customer.

Just show the payment processor proof of the refund via ACH, the email exchange and this thread :D

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • @aqua said:

@yoursunny said:

@MikeA said:

@aqua said:
    What a fucking mess.

It's also avoiding fees the credit card processor wants as it's their service. It's expressly prohibited afaik. I'm worried about you missing fine print to even think to suggest that to someone else. If it's not outright illegal, it's definitely prohibited and against terms.

• TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited February 2023

@MikeA said:

@Anna_Parker said:
    Damn, that's so unprofessional @MikeA. Didn't expect such things from you. 1st you broke agreement, 2nd you've suspended VPS without notice. I know the emotions, etc. but you are not a noob, you are experienced one. Building reputation is taking years, destroying reputation is taking one day.

In the end, my reputation wouldn't be affected by a thread like this, if it wasn't I probably wouldn't bother replying. When I notified customers about bandwidth changes a while ago I assumed someone would post since many users of the Tokyo location find servers from LET for that region. Everyone knows LET likes drama and it gets clicks, that's it. Many people use my service and have for many many years because they know the quality of it is good and it has something they need. A thread about bandwidth in Tokyo will not negatively affect my company in the end. I'll just continue to run ExtraVM and have customers who respect terms and use the service, and continue improving the quality of my service and expanding.

@srch07 said: This is completely unprofessional.
    You should have given a week notice and then bring in the Ban Hammer.
    Truth is you can never be 100% certain of what the customer did.
    Of course they might have broke T.O.S. and you have right to refuse the service and refund the amount.
    As a provider if you don't give a week notice, I don't think anyone serious should touch the hosting with anything remotely production usage.

He is not banned, he has access to his account and can reply to me any time with one of the options mentioned. I have many people, and small businesses who use my service for production and have for nearly a decade now. One customer doing this and this situation is clearly not comparative to all others.

@Mumbly said:
    So as I thought you made it up and this what you posted in your argument isn't actual content of the mail. Ah, well..

Are you asking about the original notice email? If so here:
    https://i.gyazo.com/9199d9e619406b986aa0e41edbdacca5.png

So why did you suspend the VPS days in advance of March 1, 2023? The requirements would be that it's at least March 1 AND used up 1-2TB of bandwidth for this to occur.

Why didn't you just throttle them to 10Mbps as stated?

I was on your side, reserving right to refund since you couldn't provide purchased service, but seeing that email and then completely ignoring it is 100% on you. You fucked up multiple ways, here.

Also, customer had 5TB and 10TB bandwidth server before, not unlimited. At no time was he ever the cause of excessive bandwidth use if he was typically under 5TB bandwidth each month. In fact, he asked for the "middle ground" of 40% reduction and provider said no.

Jesus Christ, it's just getting worse and worse for @MikeA. You really dropped the ball, here. Big asshole comment to tell them to find a cheaper host that does 10TB+ while literally taking 80% bandwidth away and not offering 10TB to him at all. Fuck this guy.

Your unforgivable crime isn't the mistake, per se, it's that you've doubled down on it.

Thanked by 1darkimmortal

@TimboJones said:
    So why did you suspend the VPS days in advance of March 1, 2023? The requirements would be that it's at least March 1 AND used up 1-2TB of bandwidth for this to occur.

I suspended his services after I realized they were being used for purposes that are against my terms of service, and I am waiting for his reply to the ticket to remedy that.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I want to weigh in just because you know, for a fact, that I’m not just going to pile on. I like you @MikeA, so I’m inclined to see your perspective as the most valuable in this case.

Gift the user their money back, call it a refund, give them the options you’re willing to do so through. You made a mistake with your promo there. It happens.

@jar said:
    I want to weigh in just because you know, for a fact, that I’m not just going to pile on. I like you @MikeA, so I’m inclined to see your perspective as the most valuable in this case.

Gift the user their money back, call it a refund, give them the options you’re willing to do so through. You made a mistake with your promo there. It happens.

I obviously agree. If they want a refund, I can find an option for that. Otherwise he can either use the existing Tokyo servers with the limits if he agrees to stop using the service for purposes against my terms of service, or he can continue what he's doing if he will have them moved to an unmetered location.

Thanked by 2jar HalfEatenPie
  • So he's abuser who used the service for purposes against you terms of service now?

Isn't bad enough that you screwed him over twice already and now this? Can you get any lower than that?

And don't get me wrong, I don't know if he used your service against your TOS anyhow or not and also you wasn't sure when you cancelled his service, but it's pretty obvious that you're doing damage control reverse engineering here.
    That's NOT the reason why you cancelled his service and gave him 24 hours to pack his bags. You invented this new reason within this thread. Can you stop playing the victim already?

Thanked by 2yoursunny TimboJones
  • just sign up to RackNerd lol @dustinc

• @MikeA said:

@aqua said:
    What a fucking mess.

Not to mention legally to comply with money laundering regulations you have refund the payment through the original transaction.

edited March 2023

@Mumbly said:
    So he's abuser who used the service for purposes against you terms of service now?

Isn't bad enough that you screwed him over twice already and now this? Can you get any lower than that?

And don't get me wrong, I don't know if he used your service against your TOS anyhow or not and also you wasn't sure when you cancelled his service, but it's pretty obvious that you're doing damage control reverse engineering here.
    That's NOT the reason why you cancelled his service and gave him 24 hours to pack his bags. You invented this new reason within this thread. Can you stop playing the victim already?

Did OP give you access to his VPS? If so please, please provide me detail on what he is running to clear your conscious. I will pay you $100 USD if you have proof he is using his services not for purposes that I have stated. You're the one creating a false narrative now because you think I am lying that he has been using my own services for purposes against my terms. Otherwise wait for OP to prove to me that he is using it for a purpose not against my terms, and I will ask him to agree for me to share the info here. If he does not agree to the things I mentioned in the ticket, I cannot share it with you.

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited March 2023

@MikeA said: Are you asking about the original notice email? If so here:
    https://i.gyazo.com/9199d9e619406b986aa0e41edbdacca5.png

My reading of this is that you were overselling way too much, and didn't realise people would actually use the resources you were offering. You can't advertise one thing and then change the terms to something completely different after they've purchased the service. This is arguably a "bait and switch" and many jurisdictions (both in the USA as well as in other countries) have consumer protection laws against this.

It would have been much better to change this at renewal instead, or at least mention the ability to get a refund in the email. Did you offer the affected 5% of customers a prorated refund?

You mentioned that the network provider changed their bandwidth policy. Did you have a contract with them? That sounds like a potential breach of contract to me.

edited March 2023

@Daniel15 said:
    You mentioned that the network provider changed their bandwidth policy. Did you have a contract with them? That sounds like a potential breach of contract to me.

There is no contract, similar to how people buy VPS. If anyone is unhappy they can request a refund. None of my clients have requested refund that I know of. This has already been over in the other replies many times.

Anyway, I'm probably not going to reply anymore. Four pages of replies and the same stuff I've repeated many times to people. If anyone is an actual client of mine and you're unhappy with the change to Tokyo open a ticket! I looked again and this change affected maybe three or four people on yearly plans, anyone else was on monthly and either I added bandwidth for free to them after they gave detail about the need for extra and one or two moved some stuff to LA for unmetered at the same price.

• JeDaYoshiJeDaYoshi Member
    edited March 2023

@Mumbly said:
    So he's abuser who used the service for purposes against you terms of service now?

I am confused as of why you've been saying that all this while.

I have avoided weighing in any commentary in here, but I am just confused about what do you mean since you keep asking questions that, for me, have been answered since the beginning.

First of all, @jinwyp didn't post the entire conversation at the time while creating the thread.

In the complete ticket, it has been mentioned that the service was immediately suspended (before the 24 hours originally mentioned in the argument in regards to bandwidth usage) because Mike found that he was using it for proxying streaming services. Whether public or not, I don't know and we can't know except both @jinwyp and @MikeA, but I'm guessing there was some investigation done.

@MikeA said:

@cwater said:

@Mumbly said:
    In case anyone here failed to noticed his VPS was prepaid yearly and host changed terms (resources) for something what was paid already. Dick move, but I am pretty sure some of you will fail to understand that.

Yes, that's the problem!
    and the OP said "I said I am runing a nginx for webservice"
    Looking forward to seeing more evidence.

Only way to provide proof would be for OP to give me access to see services running on his server, and that's unlikely considering the circumstances. As a host, when your rent a VPS or dedicated server on your network you can check a tcpdump to determine what it's being used for, just by checking the source ASN or PTR and where the traffic ends up being proxied to.

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited March 2023

@MikeA said: There is no contract, similar to how people buy VPS.

Terms of Service are effectively a contract the user signs when they agree to the terms by signing up for the service, and your ToS does not specify that you can significantly change the service offering like this.

@MikeA said: There is no contract, similar to how people buy VPS.

You don't have a contract with the network provider? Isn't that risky?

Thanked by 1yoursunny
This discussion has been closed.