Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

extravm suspended all my vps without notice, what can I do ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

extravm suspended all my vps without notice, what can I do ?

Hi:

Here is story:

I have purchased 3 extravm tokyo vps on black friday , all of them are yearly payment.
you can check the link for extravm black friday promotion https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3554150/#Comment_3554150

2GB RAM $10 USD 2 Cores (E-2388G ) 30GB NVMe 10TB 10Gbps $67.20/yearly
1GB RAM $6.50 USD 1 Core (E-2388G ) 12GB NVMe 5T 10Gbps $43.68/yearly
1GB RAM $6.50 USD 1 Core (E-2388G ) 12GB NVMe 5T 10Gbps $43.68/yearly

And these days I found the 1GB RAM bandwidth change from 5T to 1T.
2GB RAM bandwidth change from 10T to 2T.

I also have a $6.5/month 1GB RAM vps bandwidth change from 20T to 1T.

So I post a ticket to asked about this bandwidth change.

Then all my 5 vps including my LA vps are suspended without notice,

Now I can't login ssh for my 5 vps anymore, I just want to login and backup my data.

What can I do ?

Thanked by 2kkrajk dusst

Comments

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited February 2023

https://extravm.com/billing/hosted/8237462436.pdf

You're the exact reason Tokyo bandwidth on plans was reduced from unmetered, to 20tb/mo, to 1/tb per 1gb over the past 2-3 months. Yeah, $3.64/mo for a 20TB-Unmetered VPS in Tokyo on a black friday deal isn't sustainable when everyone abuses it. You can't abuse service to proxy streaming sites to China for VPN users then get mad when you can't anymore for free. This policy has been in place for over a year. You should be glad you got away with it for months in the first place. You complaining was the only reason I decided to look into it and noticed that I had put a note on one of your VPS a month ago but didn't do anything about it. I was going to refund you but AliPay doesn't allow it. Either stop doing what you're doing, or I can move you VPS to a non-Asia location and I will let it go, but this will continue to be handled in the ticket.

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2023

"do what I want or I'll post on LET".

GG you've successfully outed yourself for any other of your providers to see.

• nick_nick_ Member
    edited February 2023

TL;DR version: The OP violated ExtraVM's TOS by using these VPS to proxy commercial streaming services.

• The OP appears to have broke the TOS and yet the provider has gone more than i would to assist. If the OP was a client of mine it would be a simple termination for a gross abuse of TOS.

• @MikeA said:
    https://extravm.com/billing/hosted/8237462436.pdf

You're the exact reason Tokyo bandwidth on plans was reduced from unmetered, to 20tb/mo, to 1/tb per 1gb over the past 2-3 months. Yeah, $3.64/mo for a 20TB-Unmetered VPS in Tokyo on a black friday deal isn't sustainable when everyone abuses it. You can't abuse service to proxy streaming sites to China for VPN users then get mad when you can't anymore for free. This policy has been in place for over a year. You should be glad you got away with it for months in the first place. You complaining was the only reason I decided to look into it and noticed that I had put a note on one of your VPS a month ago but didn't do anything about it. I was going to refund you but AliPay doesn't allow it. Either stop doing what you're doing, or I can move you VPS to a non-Asia location and I will let it go, but this will continue to be handled in the ticket.

I said I am runing a nginx for webservice. Don't you know what is nginx ? check nginx.com

I am not used for any steaming services.

I used less bandwidth, you can check all history for bandwidth using . Could post the bandwidth usage for last 3 months ?

The LA vps didn't use at all.

• It's also good to see @MikeA concerned for his other clients due to this abuse.

• @TarZZ92 said: It's also good to see @MikeA concerned for his other clients due to this abuse.

What abuse?
    I see just another LET hosts dick move and people praising it.

• @Mumbly said: I see just another LET hosts dick move and people praising it.

the provider was clear on the abuse.

• Sounds like OP failed to read the TOS and then proceeded to violate it. Next time, Read the TOS. Don’t blindly accept the TOS when purchasing. If anything is unclear in TOS, Open a support ticket and ask for clarification. Go with a hosting provider that is more suitable for your application. I’m sure you can find one or someone on here has a good suggestion for a host that is better suited.

• MumblyMumbly Member
    edited February 2023

In case anyone here failed to noticed his VPS was prepaid yearly and host changed terms (resources) for something what was paid already. Dick move, but I am pretty sure some of you will fail to understand that.

edited February 2023

@Mumbly said:
    In case anyone here failed to noticed his VPS was prepaid yearly and host changed terms for something what was paid already. Dick move, but I am pretty sure some of you will fail to understand that.

I see the point, but users don't sign contracts for long term commitments on bandwidth allocation. Users were given 3~ weeks notice on the changes, and almost nobody pays yearly for Tokyo servers so this affects very little people. When I started Tokyo I was unprepared for the amount of people that would use them solely to proxy traffic to CN, so I gave people time to move their services off of ExtraVM if they needed higher bandwidth in Tokyo and didn't want to pay extra. Most people that needed higher bandwidth were already on plans larger than 1GB. I'll be happy to move his servers to another location so he can get on unmetered bandwidth plans.

• MumblyMumbly Member
    edited February 2023

@MikeA said: I see the point, but users don't sign contracts for long term commitments on bandwidth allocation.

So he didn't have pre-paid yearly package and you screwed him over?
    And do you feel like his experience/complain posted at forum isn't justified and people in general shouldn't do that?

You know what piss me off in those cases. That people here will jump at him while it's the host who dropped the ball here.
    You needed to decrease BW in the middle of billing term, that's problematic as service was paid already, but I understand that, but at the end of the day he was the one who was screwed over and no other way around.

edited February 2023

@Mumbly said:

@MikeA said: I see the point, but users don't sign contracts for long term commitments on bandwidth allocation.

So he didn't have yearly package and you screwed him over?
    And do you feel like his experience/compalin posted at forum isn't justified?

Paying yearly for a plan is not the same as signing a commitment or contract like you would at some providers like OVH or for dedicated servers.

He is justified to be upset that he lost 20TB bandwidth but notice was given to give time to find an alternative or contact me with his use case. For users who have a legitimate use that doesn't breach my terms I will work with them. There's been a couple users in Tokyo who've give me detail about their use case and I've added bandwidth so they can keep using it without worrying. But nobody who uses it like he does ever explains their use case, and it ends up resulting in them eventually being kicked off or limited due to it not complying with my terms of service. I replied to his ticket, he can provide proof of his use case and we can work something out, or he can refuse and he can either find another company to use or move to a non-Asia location with one of my various unmetered plans on any other location and proxy his traffic to CN from there.

• MumblyMumbly Member
    edited February 2023

@MikeA said: Paying yearly for a plan is not the same as signing a commitment or contract like you would at some providers like OVH or for dedicated servers.

Of course it's not the same. Your case is even worse. He already paid for those resurces. I wouldn't even mind if you would change this at the end of his billing term, but you did it for something what was paid already, correct?

• tjntjn Member
    edited February 2023

Unless I'm mistaken, changing the bandwidth quota mid package is irrelevant - OP broke TOS.

Simple.

https://extravm.com/tos.php

By using ExtraVM hosting services, you agree to not abuse systems or networks in any way that may harm the usability of other client services, or harm outside networks or individuals. This includes but is not limited to: hosting or distribution of malicious files, [.....] unsolicited e-mail spam, public proxy or VPN services [...]

• MumblyMumbly Member
    edited February 2023

@tjn said: OP broke TOS.

And you got this info from where? Do you have some crystall ball which telling you this or...?

Thanked by 1[Deleted User]
  • @Mumbly said:
    In case anyone here failed to noticed his VPS was prepaid yearly and host changed terms (resources) for something what was paid already. Dick move, but I am pretty sure some of you will fail to understand that.

Yes, that's the problem!
    and the OP said "I said I am runing a nginx for webservice"
    Looking forward to seeing more evidence.

• @Mumbly said:

@tjn said: - OP broke TOS.

And you got this info from where? Do you have some crystall ball who's telling you this or...?

I wish I had a crystal ball!

I'm assuming the provider did their due diligence and checked their network traffic before coming on here and very publicly saying the user is running a proxy service to China...

OP can always point us to their NGINX instance and LE detectives can take over.

• Jinwyp broke the TOS, extravm.com broke the promise on bandwidth.

What I learned?
    1. never break rules
    2. don't buy extravm.com

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited February 2023

I think you can distill this down to:

• User purchased a service with expectation based on plan sold
    • Vendor overextended risk and impacted service to others
    • Vendor sent out communication to clients on reduction in bandwidth and gave time to adjust (seems like User didn't read this)
    • Time passes
    • User complains on limited bandwidth requirement and straight complains to the vendor as if they're unethical
    • Vendor explains communication and rationale for the change. Does not offer alternative solutions (in the future, it's probably best to offer an alternative)
    • User threatens vendor with complaints and public posting
    • User posts publicly on a forum
    • Vendor responds back with a refund and done.

It's a tale as old as time. I mean the user got refunded so... I don't think it really is that big of an issue. Maybe give the guy a week to figure his shit out but eh. This could have been handled much better on both sides, but I do think the user is not innocent in their handling of this situation.

If I'm sold something, I'm probably going to use it because of that characteristic. If I can't use it to that characteristic, then yeah there's no reason for me to buy from you. I mean you did promise quite the value and the user saw that, bought it, and used it to the extent that he deemed fit. The user should have reviewed the Terms of Service a bit better and made sure his usage fell under it. But yeah.

On a fundamental level, my opinion is with the user. They're trying to use the product as they bought it and expected it, and the vendor overextended their risk and tried to handle it by notification of change in plans (which is what the vendor did). But the user came in hot/aggressive on their support ticket. Vendor didn't take it too well. The actual interaction, I'm with the vendor on this one.

Basically, noone wins. Everyone looks bad. I'd suggest the user switch to a different vendor. I'd suggest the vendor re-evaluate their risk profile because it's obvious that they overextended themselves and this is part of the risk/problem they take for overextending.

EDIT: To note, this doesn't mean the vendor is bad. It just means that they just took on too much risk than it was worth for their business model and that's fine. It also doesn't mean the user is bad. This is a collaboration from both sides and it's pretty apparent that both sides woke up on the wrong side of the bed and both were pretty aggressive and didn't have a whole lot of bandwidth on navigating this well. But shit happens.

Thanked by 3tjn jlet88 speedypage
  • @armnotstrong said: Jinwyp broke the TOS

You first post on the forum? Congratulations.

Can you show me now where he broke the TOS or another moronic comment without even reading what's going on?

Thanked by 2ariq01 kkrajk
  • ariq01ariq01 Member
    edited February 2023

@armnotstrong said:
    Jinwyp broke the TOS, extravm.com broke the promise on bandwidth.

What I learned?
    1. never break rules
    2. don't buy extravm.com

0.congrats on your first comment!

Thanked by 1Mumbly
  • MumblyMumbly Member
    edited February 2023

@tjn said: I'm assuming the provider did their due diligence and checked their network traffic before coming on here and very publicly saying the user is running a proxy service to China...

I don't assume. I read the ticket posted above. And you should it too before posting false claim.

edited February 2023

@cwater said:

@Mumbly said:

Yes, that's the problem!
    and the OP said "I said I am runing a nginx for webservice"
    Looking forward to seeing more evidence.

Only way to provide proof would be for OP to give me access to see services running on his server, and that's unlikely considering the circumstances. As a host, when your rent a VPS or dedicated server on your network you can check a tcpdump to determine what it's being used for, just by checking the source ASN or PTR and where the traffic ends up being proxied to.

I actually rarely ever suspended anyone in the past using VPS in Tokyo (actually only remember one or two), and I'm pretty certain I've never falsely suspended anyone for legitimate uses. When I've found servers in the past there that I've been certain were running things against my terms I've always just limited them to 500Mbps - 1Gbps and let it go.

@HalfEatenPie said:
    It's a tale as old as time. I mean the user got refunded so... I don't think it really is that big of an issue. Maybe give the guy a week to figure his shit out but eh. This could have been handled much better on both sides, but I do think the user is not innocent in their handling of this situation.

He wasn't refunded, it's impossible for me to refund since he used AliPay. I didn't check how he paid before I said I was going to refund. The only options for him are 1.) Provide proof of a legitimate use case to me via ticket 2.) Allow me to move him to any other location for him to have unmetered bandwidth 3.) Stick with his current plan and comply with the bandwidth limits, if his use case is not allowed per terms and he doesn't provide proof he can continue using it in Tokyo but deal with the bandwidth limits and get throttled after his plan limit is hit or pay extra for more.

• MumblyMumbly Member
    edited February 2023

@MikeA said: Only way to provide proof would be for OP to give me access to see services running on his server, and that's unlikely considering the circumstances.

And you gave him what? 24 hours to migrate everything away before you suspended him because of his complaining about decreased BW he prepaid already?

Beside that what proof you're talking about? You weren't interested in proof "of something" when you suspended him as this wasn't even the reason for the suspension (yes, unlike many who comment here I actually checked posted ticket above).

Great job man, but can you stop acting like you're a victim in this specific case, please?

• jlet88jlet88 Member
    edited February 2023

@HalfEatenPie said:
    I think you can distill this down to....

Great summary. Kind of unfortunate, could have been handled better all around IMO.

Technically, BTW, the vendor (aka @MikeA ) was well within his rights to cancel though, as it clearly states in the TOS: "We reserve the right to terminate and cancel any client and service at any time, for any reason." -- however, again, it could have been handled better.

Hosting is a tough business! I don't envy the providers who miscalculate and are forced to either eat their miscalculation, or deal with the frustrations or hot tempers of customers.

EDITED FOR TYPO

edited February 2023

@Mumbly said:

@MikeA said: Only way to provide proof would be for OP to give me access to see services running on his server, and that's unlikely considering the circumstances.

And you gave him what? 24 hours to migrate everything away before you suspended him because of his complaining about decreased BW he prepaid already?
    Great job man, but can you stop acting like you're a victim in this specific case, please?

no, I told him to move within 24 hours because of him threatening to post on multiple websites to get his way. no matter who you are, if you say you're going to do that and I know you have no good intentions I'm going to tell you to leave. For his sake I would think he would want to as well since he's not happy. I already agreed with you that he is justified to be upset about the changes.

Thanked by 1HalfEatenPie
  • @MikeA said: I already agreed with you that he is justified to be upset that the bandwidth has changed on his services.

Well, from there on it's on you to try to work with him and not the other way around. Yes, he was upset because you changed the product he paid already and what did you to then...? You screwed him again.

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited February 2023

@jlet88 said:

@HalfEatenPie said:
    I think you can distill this down to....

Great summary. Kind of unfortunate, could have been handled better all around IMO.

Technically, BTW, the vender (aka @MikeA ) was well within his rights to cancel though, as it clearly states in the TOS: "We reserve the right to terminate and cancel any client and service at any time, for any reason." -- however, again, it could have been handled better.

Hosting is a tough business! I don't envy the providers who miscalculate and are forced to either eat their miscalculation, or deal with the frustrations or hot tempers of customers.

Oh yeah he's perfectly in his right. I mean big companies also violate contracts with other big companies once they realize that it's not profitable for them. Because they realize it's not a good contract.

But that also comes with risks and we're seeing it being realized here. That's business. That's also why I have a job advising big companies on these matters. lol

edited February 2023

@Mumbly said:

@MikeA said: I already agreed with you that he is justified to be upset that the bandwidth has changed on his services.

Well, from there on it's on you to try to work with him and not the other way around. Yes, he was upset because you changed the product he paid already and what did you to then...? You screwed him again.

He knows his options, from what I said here (my reply above about the 3 options) and told him in the ticket after he posted this. I don't think he will reply to the ticket anymore, but that's great if he decides to.

This discussion has been closed.