Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PulsedMedia +35% price increase - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

PulsedMedia +35% price increase

Comments

• @sonontse said:
    My raffle box went from 2.99€ to 8.76€. Can someone explain this math?

theres no math. its called "quiet purging".

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@lala_th said: ultra.cc

is there an aff link?

• @DataIdeas-Josh said:
    I mean in reality a 3.50€ to 5.00€ aint much of a jump all in all.
    Price increases are happening across the board for everyone in this market.
    Just all depends on how much the provider wants to swallow or pass on.

That's not how I read it.

but also another 3.5€ for all sub 5.50€ accounts

Meaning, 3.5€ jumps to 7€. A 5€ plan becomes 8.5€.

• acidpukeacidpuke Member
    edited September 2022

Another I recommend to put on your list to check out

seedhost.eu

Thanked by 1einverne
  • This reminds me of a major fuckup from years ago. One day my boss is just pissed off to hell. Apparently, we received notice of a significant price increase on a volume product that made us lots of money on a fairly low margin that we add our special sauce to.

Apparently, the price we were paying was like $22 below their COST. Not only did they screw up including all parts to include in their actual total costs, but gave us what they thought their cost was instead of the marked up price! Was told there was a blood bath as a result...

• ?
    goodbye
    btw,any provider wants to make a refugee offer?

• @taizi said:

Doubt. Prices are going up everywhere, especially in Europe.

• @taizi said:

goodbye

Refugee from Provider A to Provider B, only to seek refuge from Provider B to provider C in few months?

• Just wait for a few years until electricity price goes down. Than "mega discounts" will pile like there is no tomorrow. Until than, cancel any luxurious services and host everything from home on rPI.

• @LTniger said:
    Just wait for a few years until electricity price goes down. Than "mega discounts" will pile like there is no tomorrow. Until than, cancel any luxurious services and host everything from home on rPI.

agree.

• PulsedMediaPulsedMedia Member, Patron Provider
    edited September 2022

@vyas11 said:

@taizi said:

goodbye

Refugee from Provider A to Provider B, only to seek refuge from Provider B to provider C in few months?

Probably so.

@Daniel15 said:

@taizi said:

Doubt. Prices are going up everywhere, especially in Europe.

This, so much this.

@TimboJones said:
    This reminds me of a major fuckup from years ago. One day my boss is just pissed off to hell. Apparently, we received notice of a significant price increase on a volume product that made us lots of money on a fairly low margin that we add our special sauce to.

Apparently, the price we were paying was like $22 below their COST. Not only did they screw up including all parts to include in their actual total costs, but gave us what they thought their cost was instead of the marked up price! Was told there was a blood bath as a result...

That stuff does happen all around. There's mistakes every time humans are involved.

I got the sense that people got fired from that screw up?

@M66B said:

@caniac22 said:
    They can lay out all the math the want to justify the price increase but inflation hasn't affected the industry by 25%+ that's asinine. Servers should be sold at a price that accounts for inflation. Price increases should never happen to existing customers unless addons change (cPanel, leased IPs, other licenses) because normal attrition would see new sign ups getting billed a higher rate and as the market continues to move forward in regards to vps specs those 512mb customers will upgrade to 2gb VPSs and pay more for those boxes after a few short years.

A 35% price increase shows me just how poor this company is managed and if they deadpool I will reply with a shocked Pikachu face.

Inflation is an average percentage. Electricity hungry industries are being affected significantly by more than doubled electricity prices (and beyond depending on the country). Some factories already needed to shutdown completely for this reason. I don't know which percentage is electricity costs for hosting providers, but I can imagine it will be a significant part.

If you think a 35% price increase is absurd, be prepared for similar price increases all over the place, not only in the hosting industry. In the end most things are energy dependent.

It's insane right now in Finland. Electricity companies have stopped selling fixed term fixed rate contracts completely, fixed rate on-going contracts only a few offers anymore, almost all have moved to pool spot pricing.

There is talks our national electricity company is going to either be bankrupted, or huge amount of increased national debt, on top of already added 8-10 billion euros ... for a country of 5.5mil ...

You hear reports of companies shutting down all, or part of their production every single day now from all around the Europe. Most are not reported of course, and this does not yet affect most of the industry due to fixed term contracts. Some big corporations have their own power plants as well.

Today electricity has peaked to 54.99cnt/kWh and is right now 47.89cnt/kWh. This is BEFORE grid fees and energy taxes. Some days it's in the 1€/kWh range.

Diesel generator is at this point about the same price: fuel ~36cnt/kWh + maintenance +payoff hardware +costs (freight, labor) to refuel every other day. But diesel price could skyrocket in the next few months.

If we had to pay that 54.99cnt/kWh it could potentially make more sense to shutdown the DC entirely than continue operating // run off diesel generators 24/7 and hoping the city or building owner does not intervene. We have not yet done the maths of the exact cut off rate, and with these price increases it moved significantly upwards.

One of our employees just got his home rates increased to 59cnt/kWh + grid fees ~5cnt/kWh + energy tax ~3.5cnt/kWh + monthly fees of a few euros last friday. That was roughly 5 fold increase. Predictions for winter is significantly higher than today's rates.

People are about to loose their houses and savings this winter. Exactly what our government is hoping for, our govt has publicly stated that people can pay the electricity by "simply" realizing their assets. They also made cuts to business energy aid which you would get for new green energy projects (15% typical). They lowered electricity VAT and are now counting electricity on household tax deductibles, which afaik has 4000€ annual maximum. They also are planning "windfall tax" on businesses.

What does this mean? They just bought a lot of votes. The poorest have essentially nothing to worry because govt pays their electricity bills, the mid income gets a slight of hand; Sure small cut on the VAT, but actually absolute euros have increased on electricity tax. Tax benefits will help you only a year later, after you've lost your house etc.

Businesses get nothing but increased costs and/or increased taxes.

Only the lucky ones who have long fixed rate term don't need to increase pricing yet, but whoever made the deal for them has to pay for the difference. Some electricity retail companies already bankrupted here, investors pulled the plug. Expect even many of those long term fixed rate contracts to be nullified during the winter, where ever they can. Pretty sure the providing companies would win in court with "blackswan force majeure" argument.

Some companies already left loopholes, one company supposedly offered fixed term fixed rate has increased prices every 2 weeks for the past several months now. Turns out the fixed term and rate only concerned the customer, not the provider ... Pretty sure that company is about to bankrupt as well.

It was either increase the prices, and heavily on the loss leader segment -- or face the very high chances of actually dead pooling. Business cannot operate without profit, at least not for long.

The increases were chosen this way because the ultra low end serves a 1-2 punch on costs: Needs cheaper servers, meaning older more power hungry servers, needs more servers to make any sense for anyone.

This means that while the sub-5€ crowd is 30% of services, they represent more like 50% of the electricity + housing costs -- all the while providing only 10% of the revenue.

Some prices From Finland as of today, which should have global comparisons (The Big Mac Index):

Big Mac: 6,60€
    Double Quarter Pounder w/ Cheese: 8,35€
    Triple Cheese Burger: 5,40€
    Double Cheese Burger: 3,60€
    Big Coffee: 2,45€ (This is cheapest of ALL the places i know!)

Double Cheese Burgers were 2€ a year ago, and Triple Cheese 3€ .. i think they were like 2.50€ originally 2 years ago.

A proper good double burger burger at a decent restaurant is now 19.60€

Going to the DC on my personal car costs now ~25€ -- and fuel prices have come down from the peak, but tax rate is increasing right about now again. Company diesel vehicle is more like 12€ tho, but we pay a lot of energy tax for Diesel vehicles, so in reality it is more like 20€.

Just some examples of the cost level right now.

Finally, this actually began already a year ago. Do not believe the propaganda that Putin / Russia caused this. This was already in the making for decades prior with the green power agenda, resisting nuclear which is safe and ecological, closing down perfectly good power plants etc.

In the past few years a lot of coal fired power plants were demolished in Finland, not very old either, all in the name of "green power". In the past year they ended our swamp turf energy industry by raising taxes, basis on swamps are not renewable -- wtf? Our renewable swamps would power the entirety of europe. Finally, green eco terrorists stopped new nuclear plant permits in the past couple of decades, only 1 was permitted, Olkiluoto 3. One of the most expensive buildings in the history of human kind. It's badly delayed, way oversized and new experimental technology because they could only build one. So they picked the most advanced and the biggest damn plant they possibly could. One another finally had gotten permits, but for the nuclear portion Russian Rosatom (i believe it was Rosatom) was the partner for that. It was years in the future regardless, and now in limbo as russians themselves blew up their factory which was supposed to make the boiler, and the sanctions against Russia.

Meanwhile, our prime minister is partying and apparently enjoying her non-alcoholic substances her friends are calling as powder, and they call themselves the powder gang ...

• Lot of tax money for governments all over on account of
    -higher utility fees
    -increased interest rates
    -windfall tax

Economic crises are great opportunities for the power brokers (those in power and outside of power) to make loads of money. In the light of the conversation - electricity/ energy, the word 'power' becomes ridiculously ironic.

@PulsedMedia wishing you well in the coming times. And the Plan B is well in place.

@vyas11 said:
    Lot of tax money for governments all over on account of
    -higher utility fees
    -increased interest rates
    -windfall tax

Economic crises are great opportunities for the power brokers (those in power and outside of power) to make loads of money. In the light of the conversation - electricity/ energy, the word 'power' becomes ridiculously ironic.

@PulsedMedia wishing you well in the coming times. And the Plan B is well in place.

Yea we will probably come out of this too stronger than before, often every problem is a opportunity in disguise ;)

Thanked by 1dirtminer
  • This actually has been the best advertising for long term orders of a service.

"Lock in the low prices now before they jump up by 35%"

Last time I jumped on something longer than a year, it was HostSolutions.

• @dirtminer said:
    This actually has been the best advertising for long term orders of a service.

and when you prepaid the service you give them a „free credit“ with the result that they will kick you in the upcoming payment period with a price increase from 18USD to 81USD which can’t be explained with inflation or higher energy costs (at least now). And btw not all customer had received already his email. I know two which haven’t received it until now and really nobody looks in whmcs for a news update…

• @_cece said:

@dirtminer said:
    This actually has been the best advertising for long term orders of a service.

and when you prepaid the service you give them a „free credit“ with the result that they will kick you in the upcoming payment period with a price increase from 18USD to 81USD which can’t be explained with inflation or higher energy costs (at least now). And btw not all customer had received already his email. I know two which haven’t received it until now and really nobody looks in whmcs for a news update…

Poor souls that don't cancel in time, that was my first thought about this and it's obviously one of the reasons for everything. I'm pretty sure there will be a bunch that won't realize till the payment is done.

• ricannardoricannardo Member
    edited September 2022

The biggest losers for this is the ones who bought the 3-year seedboxes almost-a-year(?) ago a.k.a. me

HA!

• ArkasArkas Moderator

@LTniger said: Just wait for a few years until electricity price goes down. Than "mega discounts" will pile like there is no tomorrow. Until than, cancel any luxurious services and host everything from home on rPI.

torrent with a good setup on your VPS (by good setup I mean one that wont alert the provider, but at the same time I am in no way suggesting you participate in illegal activities). Use free cloud storage creatively. You'll save money until prices get adjusted to future realistic prices and then get a seed box again.

• @ricannardo said:
    The biggest losers for this is the ones who bought the 3-year seedboxes almost-a-year(?) ago a.k.a. me

HA!

Looks like I was staring at my @HostMantis account I had a 3 year plan with them, though the price escalation was something like 30 x in my case.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • Almost +200% increase LOL. Seems like they also realized 12th Anniversary Raffle Box is a bad idea.

• Unfortunately, LET audience is not profitable for them anymore. ultra.cc seems like a good alternative so far.

• its like the annual purge. sure with seemingly valid reasons but still, purge.

• Yep purge. I foresee them posting a deal on black friday again when they underestimated how many would cancel and the cycle goes on.

Thanked by 2foitin pbx
  • @jcolideles said:
    Almost +200% increase LOL. Seems like they also realized 12th Anniversary Raffle Box is a bad idea.

I have this one too, and I canceled it yesterday.

• I guess none of the 12th Anniversary offers will survive.

Thanked by 2yoursunny foitin
  • My Very FAT32 renewal price was also changed. Hopefully the energy cost issue will be resolved by the next renewal date.

• @_cece said:
    I guess none of the 12th Anniversary offers will survive.

Maybe that's the goal.

• @tototo said:
    My Very FAT32 renewal price was also changed. Hopefully the energy cost issue will be resolved by the next renewal date.

Even if, there will be no price adjustment downwards. Maybe a bf offer or so to catch LE customers again but only waiting for the next increase

Looking at the energy market futures and estimates, i doubt we can do anything other on BF than maybe some dedis, higher end offers. SSD based ofc consume a little energy, but they are very costly so ...

Looks like the best case scenario is going to be around 30c/kWh before taxes and grid fees. Add cooling, infrastructure etc. so load wise 40+c/kWh. That's the absolute low end of current estimates.

• @PulsedMedia said:
    Looking at the energy market futures and estimates, i doubt we can do anything other on BF than maybe some dedis, higher end offers. SSD based ofc consume a little energy, but they are very costly so ...

Looks like the best case scenario is going to be around 30c/kWh before taxes and grid fees. Add cooling, infrastructure etc. so load wise 40+c/kWh. That's the absolute low end of current estimates.

See you after the war then.