Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PulsedMedia +35% price increase
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

PulsedMedia +35% price increase

PulsedMedia will increase their pricing between 15% to 35%, depending on the actual plan. According to their Mail which landed in my spam folder:

• 10€ current price, +35%, final price from 10€: 13.50€
  • 20€ current price, +25%, final price from 15€: 25.00€
  • 30€ or above current price, +15%, final price from 30€: 34.50€
  • +3.5€ for all sub 5.50€

Who will keep their boxes?

Will you keep their seedboxes?
  1. Will you keep their seedboxes after the price increase?182 votes
    1. Yes
        7.14%
    2. No!
      77.47%
    3. Depends...
      15.38%

Comments

• _cece_cece Member
    edited September 2022

so the raffle-boxes for 2,99€ will then cost 6,49€... thats a huge price increase....

• Production costs are righter now, I understad why you calculated it into a percentage because in actual money it's nothing.

€3.50. lol

• I was thinking of moving more stuff offsite because of increasing electricity costs to run it here. With all hosts having to raise prices eventually, I'll have to carefully do the maths to see if that is actually worth the hassle…

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@_cece please share the message you received.

• http://pulsedmedia.com/clients/announcements.php?id=559

[...]
    Price increases for services

Sadly, due to all these factors we have to increase pricing all around, for new and pre-existing customers. These will come in effect immediately or within a few a days. New pricing will be in effect on renewals and new orders, no mid payment term change. If you have an invoice already open for renewal that will be unaffected. New signup pricing takes a little bit longer to change as we have to re-do all the expense maths for all of the service ranges, these will happen by end of September, or with rough estimates before that.

Relative to revenue most expensive accounts are the smallest ones. The sub 5€ group of services represent about ~31% of services, but only ~10% of revenue, all the while being the source of about 80% of uncommon events. Seedboxes are highly dependant on the number of users per performance domain (ie. a server, or raid array) catering to this group actually increases production costs as well. On the other hand, the higher end service group is the complete opposite, therefore we will not increase pricing for that group as much but actually significantly less than actual increase in the operational costs (OpEx).
    Therefore the pricing increases will be linearly adjusted based on service price 35-15% on 10-30€ services -- lower percentages on higher cost service, but also another 3.5€ for all sub 5.50€ accounts which are the most sensitive to OpEx changes.

The final pricing increases will be 35% to 15% scaling from 10€ to 30€ per month. Examples:

This price increase will go to cover the increased operational costs.

[...]

• Should've kept it a percent increase of the low end boxes. Now the low end boxes seem like a bait and switch scheme. Sell services cheap when convenient, force users to cancel when inconvenient. I'm sure when they have enough cancellations they'll probably do some similar sale around BF.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

I have €18/year 450GB deal and there's no email notice so far.
    I would cancel my service if the annual price exceeds 3 months of Amazon Prime membership.

• Where I live prime is 2.99eur/m, so 9eur :P

• Wow, bait and switch on the low end, over 100% increase in price. Should ban them from posting deals here for this practice.

Thanked by 1foitin
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Smith42 said:
    Should've kept it a percent increase of the low end boxes. Now the low end boxes seem like a bait and switch scheme. Sell services cheap when convenient, force users to cancel when inconvenient. I'm sure when they have enough cancellations they'll probably do some similar sale around BF.

I think the idea is to just get those users to cancel.

Hes running spinning rust and added a ton more smaller plans, meaning he's chewing that much more IOPs. Anyone that was in the LE market in the days-before-SSD/NVME, knows this full well.

Absolute buckets of tiny plans being crammed on 4 disk R10's.

Francisco

• @sonontse said:
    Wow, bait and switch on the low end, over 100% increase in price. Should ban them from posting deals here for this practice.

Eh? The highest amount is 35%. How'd you get to 100%?

• @skorous said:

@sonontse said:
    Wow, bait and switch on the low end, over 100% increase in price. Should ban them from posting deals here for this practice.

Therefore the pricing increases will be linearly adjusted based on service price 35-15% on 10-30€ services -- lower percentages on higher cost service, but also another 3.5€ for all sub 5.50€ accounts which are the most sensitive to OpEx changes.

Thanked by 1skorous
  • @sonontse said:

@skorous said:

@sonontse said:

Oh shit, sorry dude. My eyes glazed over apparently and I missed that part in the original email.

• @Francisco said:

Francisco

yes. too obvious.

• DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider

I mean in reality a 3.50€ to 5.00€ aint much of a jump all in all.
    Price increases are happening across the board for everyone in this market.
    Just all depends on how much the provider wants to swallow or pass on.

• I'll rather move to the competitors now, main advantage of pulsed was because its cheaper.

Thanked by 2itoshikimonset taizi
  • Nope will not keep

• vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited September 2022

@yoursunny said:
    I have €18/year 450GB deal and there's no email notice so far.
    I would cancel my service if the annual price exceeds 3 months of Amazon Prime membership.

How much is Prime (Monthly, Quarterly and annual)? Which fees are you benchmarking push-uping the $ 18 against? Curious is the mind...

@_cece said:
    .... According to their Mail which landed in my spam folder:

20€ current price, +25%, final price from 15€: 25.00€ ^
    • +3.5€ for all sub 5.50€

Would be interesting to see the number (or percentage) of customers for each pricing tier that they have. Versus their operating costs (and margins) for each tier. The lowest two ( 10 Euro and lower) could possibly make the bigger chunk, accounting for highest increase in percentage terms.

Summed up well by the keen eyes below:

@Francisco said:

Francisco

^
    The 20 Euro pricepoint seems to have an error:
    20 Euro + 25% increase = 25 Euros, the mailer mentions 15 Euros will change to 25 Euros. Ouch

@Ahfaiahkid said:
    I'll rather move to the competitors now, main advantage of pulsed was because its cheaper.

This is a classic example that "You cannot compete on price alone, or price alone cannot be your USP."

There's always the next guy (or girl) who could offer cheaper prices or better specs for same price, OR you may lose many of your customers if you increase prices. Unless that's what you want. Let go of low margin accounts.

Wishing the provider the best.

• DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider

@Ahfaiahkid said:
    I'll rather move to the competitors now, main advantage of pulsed was because its cheaper.

There was competitors for seed boxes at that level?

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@vyas11 said: Summed up well by the keen eyes below:

I should add, this isn't a slight against them.

They decided to test the waters and admit that it's more trouble than it's worth. With the price increase they're doing they could probably lose 75% of their users, keep all the resources, and drop much of the resource abuse.

Good luck to them, LET and its sales have eaten many hosts alive.

Francisco

• vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited September 2022

@Francisco said:

@vyas11 said: Summed up well by the keen eyes below:

I should add, this isn't a slight against them.

They decided to test the waters and admit that it's more trouble than it's worth. With the price increase they're doing they could probably lose 75% of their users, keep all the resources, and drop much of the resource abuse.

Good luck to them, LET and its sales have eaten many hosts alive.

Francisco

I do not believe that was the intention or my interpretation (slight against Pulsed Media) - rationalizing the customer base is the logical conclusion; with the benefit of hindsight- the new discussion posted by @PulsedMedia attests to that as well.

Relative to revenue most expensive accounts are the smallest ones. The sub 5€ group of services represent about ~31% of services, but only ~10% of revenue, all the while being the source of about 80% of uncommon events.

Ref: https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/181231/pulsed-media-inflation-energy-crisis-and-exchange-rate-changes-are-disruptive-price-increase-15

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Damn I thought I was a bit excessive when writing things. New drinking game: Take a shot every time a new paragraph starts. If you make it to the end you get a 50% discount coupon at MXroute.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jbhu590jqtrvk9b/lol.pdf?dl=0

Thanked by 3Erisa skorous ralf
  • vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited September 2022

@jar said:
    Damn I thought I was a bit excessive when writing things. New drinking game: Take a shot every time a new paragraph starts. If you make it to the end you get a 50% discount coupon at MXroute.

All this verbal tsunami that can make jsg jealous…. However Pulsedmedia still gets the math wrong. Mentioned beyond before halfway

15 + (25% of 15) does not become 25

Maybe in some parallel universe it does.

Best rgds.

• @jar said:

I don't see the coupon 😔

Thanked by 1netomx
  • PulsedMediaPulsedMedia Member, Patron Provider

Obviously means FROM 20€ + 25% = 25€
    Like on the other lines.

I am sure you can find more typos on that mailing, or perhaps grammar errors :)

A new drinking game, how many typos or grammar errors can you find from it?

• @DataIdeas-Josh said: There was competitors for seed boxes at that level?

Not at the old price points that PM used to be at, but now yes.

Assuming you're benchmarking now at €9/m (assuming +3.5€ for a 5.50€/m service), you have:

Ultra.cc Spirit V2- €8.75 for 2TB HDD, 4TB upload
    Giga-Rapid Mini G20 - €8.95 for 1.5TB HDD, 7TB upload
    HostingBy Design (post Seedbox.io and Walkerservers "merger") - €7.49 for 2TB HDD, 6TB upload

and probably some more.

• vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited September 2022

@PulsedMedia said:

Like on the other lines.

It's fun when one is sober. Rest of the post is actually quite well written. @ 2,300 words though, tad longer than one would imagine. Now that much writing would need a drink or two. Esp since the weekend is not over in most parts of the world.

grammar errors: best left to @AlwaysSkint. S/He's a pro. Always Grammarly.

• @PulsedMedia said:

Like on the other lines.

and what can we win? A double price increase? :D

The thing is... and I mention it now that I'm fine with your services, that the price increase for the smaller boxes are a price to kill. And another thing is, that the boxes are notorious out of storage which caused me several problems. I'm not using it as a seedbox, but as a storage. And I pay for 12TB but currently only stored aboub 2TB. Two times it happended that the server ran out of disk space. I have to wait several days before I can store some files. Two times it happeden, that resilio writed corrupted files due to no disk space and I had to resync my libary. I mean I have no problem with mrfarmer, but I do not get what I pay for. Also I would bet that MrFarmer is not really efficient on energy costs nor on hardware wear.

Thanked by 1itoshikimonset
  • PulsedMediaPulsedMedia Member, Patron Provider

@_cece said: and what can we win? A double price increase? :D

Popcorn moments? ;)

@_cece said: The thing is... and I mention it now that I'm fine with your services, that the price increase for the smaller boxes are a price to kill. And another thing is, that the boxes are notorious out of storage which caused me several problems. I'm not using it as a seedbox, but as a storage. And I pay for 12TB but currently only stored aboub 2TB. Two times it happended that the server ran out of disk space. I have to wait several days before I can store some files. Two times it happeden, that resilio writed corrupted files due to no disk space and I had to resync my libary. I mean I have no problem with mrfarmer, but I do not get what I pay for. Also I would bet that MrFarmer is not really efficient on energy costs nor on hardware wear.

Open a ticket, that node then needs load balancing.

Automation was fixed and due to automation error that does not happen anymore. You need the storage? Just use it. Dynamic allocation will ensure you will have it, if not, open a ticket and load balance will swiftly happen.

Servers are actually undersold by a huge margin at this point in time in aggregate, i storage wise we could approximately double the customer base right at this moment, without doing anything. That's how much under provisioning there is going on. This underprovisioned storage is dynamicly allocated for other tasks, so you may see servers with "oh only 3TB free", where infact the dynamic allocation which can be cleared at any given moment could be 100TB of that 150TB server.

We should probably add on the info tab statistic on the dynamic allocation amount of that particular server.

You can always also request full reprovisioning at any given time, albeit we will not handle data migration in that case. There is plan to automate that tho, and base code has been made for it already, but before automation no data migrations on full reprovisionings.