Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stay away from PulsedMedia
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Stay away from PulsedMedia

PulsedMedia suspend my V10GL service without any notification because I use the feature they promised. I received an email yesterday, said:

Your service has been suspended, with the reason: Service abuse via RSLSync -> Setup for verbose logging and logging to system daemon causing server root fs to be completely filled. Big CPU usage as well. Needs dedi for this use

I checked the attachment they provided, which I can see that rslsync do log all the connection to logs, but I do not intend to do so.

logs:

I only follow the instructions they provided. I even opened a ticket to look for help before, I did what they told, just config and launch. And I tried to run rslsync in background, so I run rslsync in systemd.

This is the screenshot I look for help:

You can see that their official site show they support the BTSync (which is the rslsync process),

And their lasted post shows they support BTSync(1.4 and 2.2)

I did what they told and they banned me because I use the feature they provided without any notification.

So I start to think, did they cheat the customer, we all know JELLYFIN will consume a lot of CPU resources when transcoding, will they suspend user service if one of their customers use JELLYFIN?

Comments

• mhnmhn Member

you should have expected this, there are a ton of topics about pulsedmedia on this forum

• ArkasArkas Moderator

That's a little unnerving.

Thanked by 1Frameworks
  • cybertechcybertech Member
    edited June 2022

thats alright cuz he paid $200.

• It sounds like OP doesn't know how to configure these things - verbose logging to syslog, not disabling transcoding, ...

Thanked by 2PulsedMedia doughnet
  • typicalGtaTGtypicalGtaTG Member, Host Rep

new day new drama thread

• PulsedMediaPulsedMedia Member, Patron Provider

Service abuse is not allowed by anyone, no matter what.
    Service was suspended, not terminated, to work with OP.

This person used resilio / btsync, which is allowed yes -- not a problem at all there. The included sample config is ~defaults for btsync and does not cause extra verbose logging, it needs to be enabled.

But filling the whole system root / via syslog with this, extra verbose output on syslog, including all individual connections:
    https://imgur.com/a/FsKipcC

Who need to log every individual connection open and close as well?

This caused that no one's service on the server worked because some applications do need to write to / filesystem, ie. temp files on /tmp

This was still open matter, and we do realize we need to make so that users cannot log into syslog in future and fill the / completely.

@einverne said: And I tried to run rslsync in background, so I run rslsync in systemd.

That is probably what caused syslog to be utilized. Maybe it logs all console output you get to syslog.

why do you just suspend my active service without any notification?

This is what OP asks in the ticket.

Of course abuse cases need to be stopped immediately. We cannot allow causing issues to other users, ever.

Really sorry for OP, but we have to terminate his services for abuse now.
    Initially we looked forward to solving this with OP and getting him a service best suited for his use.

Ticket has been replied to, you have 1 week to transfer your data out. Service has been unsuspended in the meantime, but slightest issue for other users and it will be immediate service termination this time, instead of suspension and trying to work with you again to find suitable service for you.

Please find a service provider which is more lenient on abuse.

Thanked by 2sots martheen
  • foitinfoitin Member

Service was suspended, not terminated, to work with OP.

and

Really sorry for OP, but we have to terminate his services for abuse now.

PulsedMedia Seedbox aka PMS terminated OP for posting his experience with PMS here? :(

• ChuckChuck Member

Maybe PulsedMedia should setup for customers? To prevent next person accidentally abuse because they don't know how to configure these things.

Thanked by 2chedenaz Alireza
  • Are you guys still looking into changing your software stack?

• MumblyMumbly Member
    edited June 2022

@PulsedMedia said: Really sorry for OP, but we have to terminate his services for abuse now.

Abuse? What abuse?
    Posting his personal experience with the service provider on the forum is abuse now?

@PulsedMedia said: Please find a service provider which is more lenient on abuse.

Do you mean provider who can take the negative review?

@Chuck said:
    Maybe PulsedMedia should setup for customers? To prevent next person accidentally abuse because they don't know how to configure these things.

There will always be the next application, or custom config. Locking down on having no SSH access at all, and cramping down on features and capabilities would be the only way to do that essentially.

99.9% of users have no issues, it's rare for something like this to happen. I believe this was the first time ever someone flooded syslog.

Sadly tho, as long as there is SSH access and freedom to self configure stuff, some kind of abuse will keep happening and we have to remain vigilant about it.
    It's rare for someone to refuse to fix their stuff like OP here. Either people know they were abusing, or they are happy to fix whatever was the issue.

Very rarely people demand to abuse servers freely, and trying to open door for even more abuse. -- but they do exist. There are also people who try to blackmail/extort for free services/privileges/extra resources and what-not by threatening negative reviews on forums like this.

Sadly, sometimes rules have to be passed so that 99.9% suffers for the actions of 0.1% :(

@caracal said: Are you guys still looking into changing your software stack?

We are always developing further, and have not been looking to "changing software stack" as it is, but improve upon and build upon it. There are several paths we are looking into.

• ArkasArkas Moderator

@PulsedMedia said: Sadly, sometimes rules have to be passed so that 99.9% suffers for the actions of 0.1%

Very true, this applies to a wider audience, basically anything online, including sys admin jobs, general hosting, heck even restaurants.

• _cece_cece Member

I use pulsedmedia with resilio sync on my three boxes without any issues. I‘ve setup an cronjob which start resilio @reboot and everything is working fine.

And pulsedmedia was always towards solving issues when they occur. I would bet that when OP asked how to solve that issue he wouldn’t get terminated or had any issues at all. This topic „stay away…“ is just damage to reputation and it doesn’t seem he wants an appropriate solution. Misconfiguration can happen at all times but when you are aware of it you should solve that.

@Arkas said:

@PulsedMedia said: Sadly, sometimes rules have to be passed so that 99.9% suffers for the actions of 0.1%

Very true, this applies to a wider audience, basically anything online, including sys admin jobs, general hosting, heck even restaurants.

Anything with people involved really :(

That's why sometimes we can't have nice things. :(

Just couple weeks back someone broke company car side-door window, tried to break both front side windows, and scratched both passenger side side doors (Nissan van). Neighbor had same thing happen to their under 1year old Ioniq 5. They stopped because our company car alarms went off.
    Stole nothing, there were nothing to steal -- ended up costing thousands for the insurance company. Now increased building association costs as some light fixtures got fixed and cameras are on the next board meeting agenda. Another neighbor bought car alarm as well.
    Police could do jack shit even with DNA evidence (blood stains were found on the ioniq 5), i guess perp had no DNA on file.

This is why we cannot keep stuff on company van, and infact most times store it inside locked garage so no one tries to steal the DPF which is very common these days (a catalysator may bring 800€ in scrap! DPF is also full of precious metals). Wastes working time, forces to have multiple cars etc.

Now i wonder when they figure to start stealing EV chargers & cables, easy to sell, in big demand and can be quite valuable. We should receive our first company EV come Q1/2023, we got a Peugeot e-2008 on a huge discount :) ~23k $ and they are now being sold at ~31.5k $ -- now not sure if we should install permanent charging station at all, and just keep juggling with the cable which afaik locks into the car during charging and cannot be stolen.

That EV monthly is just ~200$, less than what we spend on diesel alone (~2.3€/liter these days) on now 9year old van. Quite awesome deal, huge last settlement @ 7years but seeing EV prices just keeps going up not worried about that. was a special promotion deal, can bring it back to distributor after 1 year for whatever reason, and it will only cost the first year monthly fees then to drive for 1 year, buyback contract in place :)

Oops sorry for the tangent, just got my sunday morning coffee finally, and went to full on story mode :)

• drizbodrizbo Member

It's rare for someone to refuse to fix their stuff like OP here

@einverne you refused to fix it? Or use the box with less verbose logging?

• foitinfoitin Member
    edited June 2022

@_cece said:

And pulsedmedia was always towards solving issues when they occur. I would bet that when OP asked how to solve that issue he wouldn’t get terminated or had any issues at all.

questioning/criticizing OP for lack of experience, sarcasm along with this tone. This sounds like "towards solving issues" to you?

seriously? logging all indiviual connections too?

how did you…?

we need to block before someone else has this brilliant idea to be extra verbose verbose

Is this the whole truth? OP seems quite cooperative from his screenshot.

It's rare for someone to refuse to fix their stuff like OP here. Either people know they were abusing, or they are happy to fix whatever was the issue.

Very rarely people demand to abuse servers freely, and trying to open door for even more abuse.

• NoCommentNoComment Member
    edited June 2022

@_cece said: Misconfiguration can happen at all times but when you are aware of it you should solve that.

Most likely OP copy pasted some commands he found by googling and he is unable or unwilling to spend time to fix the configuration. I think this is a weird situation because a seedbox service is a managed service but you gotta understand the market segment of the seedbox service. If you paid more with some other seedbox services maybe their support would help you out with running apps like plex or emby. Seems like pulsedmedia only offers support for rutorrent which is okay but OP was probably expecting support to teach him or help him run his apps. I guess OP was expecting support to help with all "advertised features" but they only care about their seedbox feature and everything else is self-service.

edited June 2022

@drizbo said:

Read his ticket reply + this very posting. IMHO that is clear indication he does not want to fix the issue.

At least that is how i personally read it as, with my support experience and from my perspective. He is asking why was he suspended and not allowed to run resilio sync // syslog abuse, not how to fix the issue. Then proceeding with hyperbole accusations too at the end of this post.

That is how i read that -- and how i interpret that is that OP is looking for freedom to abuse the service and/or for us to provide him a service he can abuse anyway he wishes and still works. With this thread, at the very least he is demanding special treatment essentially, or just hoping to do reputational damage for whatever reason. Most likely just trying to cause reputational damage, and trying to find reasons for that.

That is how i interpret this whole thing, from my perspective. I could be completely off base and this is essentially an communication issue. But who knows, only OP knows what is going on his mind.

Now what would have been a simple fix, has caused quite an ruckus. Most often this type of abuse is solved by suspend + reason ticket, user acknowledges ticket and promises to fix the issue/asks for how to fix, we unsuspend the service and people go continue on with their life's happily.

We don't go around suspending or terminating users for regular typical usage, sure some are heavier & use more, while some use less. It is our job to find the balance so that everyone has an enjoyable and good experience.

-Aleksi

• @drizbo said:

I tried to reach the PulsedMedia right after I receive the ticket, I reply very fast. But I already find I cannot log into my service, and I cannot fix the verbose log problem.

And then I wait for an entire day trying to receive additional instruction, which is on the official website 24/7 Support, I still do not get any response, I can only see PulsedMedia is active on this forum. I have to post all this here.

Thanked by 1itoshikimonset
  • MumblyMumbly Member

@PulsedMedia said: It's rare for someone to refuse to fix their stuff like OP here.

@drizbo said: @einverne you refused to fix it?

@PulsedMedia said: Read his ticket reply + this very posting. IMHO that is clear indication he does not want to fix the issue.

At least that is how i personally read it as, with my support experience and from my perspective. He is asking why was he suspended and not allowed to run resilio sync // syslog abuse, not how to fix the issue. Then proceeding with hyperbole accusations too at the end of this post.

So basically... you lied here about op refusing to fix anything?

• He is assuming op is not going to fix it thus booting the customer out, look at the other two complains about pulsed & how he handled it. Soon he will backpedal.

• mwtmwt Member

@PulsedMedia said:

@drizbo said:

Read his ticket reply + this very posting. IMHO that is clear indication he does not want to fix the issue.

My interpretation is that he has no idea what a syslog is and does not need any logging at all. He thinks that the logging issue is an issue with rslsync itself. He does not know why he is being blamed for a glitch in rslsync.

You should ask which "wiki" he found these steps in and figure out what went wrong. Maybe you put this logging in the systemd service file for testing purposes (and he just enabled the service).

Thanked by 2drizbo sliix

@mwt said: You should ask which "wiki" he found these steps in and figure out what went wrong. Maybe you put this logging in the systemd service file for testing purposes (and he just enabled the service).

We don't offer rslsync as systemd service. He did that setup himself.

@einverne said: And then I wait for an entire day trying to receive additional instruction, which is on the official website 24/7 Support, I still do not get any response, I can only see PulsedMedia is active on this forum. I have to post all this here.

While you can reach out 24/7 does not mean that your specific thing is #1 above everything else in priority. Least of all a minor abuse case. Learn some patience, and learn not to abuse things.

Nothing gives you the privilege of abusing servers and causing other people downtime. Zero tolerance for abuse, now and for the future. Compounding to that does not help you.

Congratulations, you wanted special attention and now you got it.

• @NoComment said:

@_cece said: Misconfiguration can happen at all times but when you are aware of it you should solve that.

Most likely OP copy pasted some commands he found by googling and he is unable or unwilling to spend time to fix the configuration. I think this is a weird situation because a seedbox service is a managed service but you gotta understand the market segment of the seedbox service. If you paid more with some other seedbox services maybe their support would help you out with running apps like plex or emby. Seems like pulsedmedia only offers support for rutorrent which is okay but OP was probably expecting support to teach him or help him run his apps. I guess OP was expecting support to help with all "advertised features" but they only care about their seedbox feature and everything else is self-service.

I will never ask for help if you do not provide this features, I will not try to run rslsync if you do not show it in the feature list. I run several rslsync services in different VPS which never cause a problem. I do use the systemd to keep the rslsync run because the server is down twice, I have to find a way to keep the service running after rebooting. I do not expect to have the log problem. You said this unintended behavior is abuse?

• MumblyMumbly Member

@PulsedMedia
    But you lied there, right? HE DID NOT refused to fix issue.

And now you're acting like he's some hardcore abuser or something using your other clients as argument. Because of this always work.
    Please, spare us of your mental gymnastics. You're full of bullshit and you know it.

• PieHasBeenEatenPieHasBeenEaten Member, Host Rep

@Samael so when was the last time you went out on a date and played hide the sausage?

Thanked by 1skorous
  • @einverne said:

@NoComment said:

I will never ask for help if you do not provide this features, I will not try to run rslsync if you do not show it in the feature list. I run several rslsync services in different VPS which never cause a problem. I do use the systemd to keep the rslsync run because the server is down twice, I have to find a way to keep the service running after rebooting. I do not expect to have the log problem. You said this unintended behavior is abuse?

Most likely, what you copy pasted from a tutorial was meant for debugging and not only was everything logged, you had verbose on too. The problem is not systemd or rslsync itself but you logging 24/7 non-stop and hitting the cpu/disk hard.

Also, maybe I understood wrongly but did you somehow manage to write to logs outside of your account? I think that's the part that makes it seem like abuse. I guess making this thread was a bad idea before everything got resolved.

Thanked by 1PulsedMedia
  • MumblyMumbly Member
    edited June 2022

@PieHasBeenEaten said:
    @Samael so when was the last time you went out on a date and played hide the sausage?

Time for your new essay how hosts have feelings too, but clients don't?

To me this should be easily fixed with the client before suspension and then "24/7 support" ignorance, but what annoys me here is how easily this guy lie and call client "abuser" solely to deflect negative review not because of actuall issue.