Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stay away from PulsedMedia - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Stay away from PulsedMedia

Comments

• mwtmwt Member

@mosquitoguy said:

@einverne said:
    So I start to think, did they cheat the customer, we all know JELLYFIN will consume a lot of CPU resources when transcoding, will they suspend user service if one of their customers use JELLYFIN?

Try whatbox.ca. They support btsync as well.

https://whatbox.ca/wiki/Resilio_Sync

I've used them in the past and they're great. One notable feature is that plex streams and SSH don't count towards your bandwidth quota. I've used them for 4K streams without any issue.

I'm also a big fan of WhatBox. I don't use them anymore, but they were really great. The server is fast, reliable, and great for Plex. Their support is also fantastic. They also have some of the best documentaton out there.

Can confirm that only torrent upload counts for bandwidth.

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited June 2022

@PulsedMedia said: But filling the whole system root / via syslog with this, extra verbose output on syslog, including all individual connections:
    https://imgur.com/a/FsKipcC

Who need to log every individual connection open and close as well?

This caused that no one's service on the server worked because some applications do need to write to / filesystem, ie. temp files on /tmp

If one user can mess up things this badly, you need a better software stack. If your servers are shared without containerization (which it sounds like they are), individual users should be jailed/chrooted such that their actions can never affect other users, and each user should have disk quota properly configured such that they can't fill the disk. Ideally everything writable should be in the homedir, meaning /tmp in the jail could be /home/..../tmp/ or something similar on the server.

• @Daniel15 said:

@PulsedMedia said: But filling the whole system root / via syslog with this, extra verbose output on syslog, including all individual connections:

This caused that no one's service on the server worked because some applications do need to write to / filesystem, ie. temp files on /tmp

If one user can mess up things this badly, you need a better software stack. If your servers are shared without containerization (which it sounds like they are), individual users should be jailed/chrooted such that their actions can never affect other users, and each user should have disk quota properly configured such that they can't fill the disk. Ideally everything writable should be in the homedir, meaning /tmp in the jail could be /home/..../tmp/ or something similar on the server.

Or perhaps use unprivileged LXC containers with everything set up and ready to go. Containerization ultimately leverages chroots (among other things), might as well isolate them properly.

• @stevewatson301 said:

@Daniel15 said:

Or perhaps use unprivileged LXC containers with everything set up and ready to go. Containerization ultimately leverages chroots (among other things), might as well isolate them properly.

Yeah, I agree with you... I think PulsedMedia are one of those providers that try to reduce overheads and cram more people onto the servers by just using regular shell accounts rather than any sort of containerization.

Thanked by 1BlaZe
  • My pulsed media account has worked perfectly for my use case. I don't plan on doing anything retarded so i'm not worried.

• henixhenix Member

@PulsedMedia always has been a shitty provider and a shitty character in general in my eyes.
    Shit happen.

Thanked by 2dhardison Peterst
  • @Daniel15 said:
    Yeah, I agree with you... I think PulsedMedia are one of those providers that try to reduce overheads and cram more people onto the servers by just using regular shell accounts rather than any sort of containerization.

That's no excuse. If you tell users to "install apps yourself", don't blame them when they screw up or don't know what they're doing. You're just shifting your own incompetence onto someone else. It's just another way of saying, "you have to install/configure this app in a very specific way but I'm too lazy to do it for you. Good luck and pray I don't ban you for messing up."

• Reading all of that reminds me BuyVM second guy, forgot his nickname.
    Which charged 10 usd or like that (i do not remember. it was many years ago) for banning me. Literally.

The whole story were about lags / and awful network (which after years they officially confirmed and switched to something more stable).

Instead of helping resolving the problem - got ban, and charged for money.

Why do I wrote all of that?
    Because by watching how the guy answering, i have almost zero doubts that the guy is the same as the second admin in BuyVM, forgot his name.

Same style, same formatting, same PMS passive-agressive answers. WEW.
    Time go past, but some behavior not changed... Why need to be so aggressive and rude?(

• @desperand said: Reading all of that reminds me BuyVM second guy, forgot his nickname.

Aldyric?

• @Daniel15 said: Aldyric?

yea. I think yes.

• I noticed rude behavior from A U from PulsedMedia from a seedbox I gor for a few months as well,
    but that was a genuine issue... Spamming global syslog with your GBs of metadata is not a welcome behavior on a seedbox I guess?

• afnafn Member
    edited June 2022

@desperand said: Reading all of that reminds me BuyVM second guy, forgot his nickname. Which charged 10 usd or like that (i do not remember. it was many years ago) for banning me. Literally.

You can say anything you want about PM, they're not known for being the nicest around, but buyVM, wtf happened?! Do you have a link to a thread about that incident? (if you opened one back then) BuyVM and Francisco have always been above perfect for a provider (except for their annoying fraud detection system when placing orders).

@desperand said: Because by watching how the guy answering, i have almost zero doubts that the guy is the same as the second admin in BuyVM, forgot his name

Well let me tell you, they're surely not. Where the hell do you get that confidence and "almost zero doubt" from? A U from PM has nothing to do with BuyVM.

Thanked by 1PulsedMedia
  • MumblyMumbly Member
    edited June 2022

@afn it was bad cop good cop situation in those years. Aldryic C'boas was a bad cop. Nothing to be upset or agument about after so many years :)

• afnafn Member
    edited June 2022

@Mumbly said: @afn it was bad cop good cop situation in those years. Aldryc was a bad cop. Nothing to be upset or agument about after so many years

not upset, just curious (which is why I asked if they happened to open a thread back then)

• @afn said:
    You can say anything you want about PM, they're not known for being the nicest around, but buyVM, wtf happened?! Do you have a link to a thread about that incident? (if you opened one back then) BuyVM and Francisco have always been above perfect for a provider (except for their annoying fraud detection system when placing orders).

🥾👅💦

• MumblyMumbly Member

Fran was always smart, calm, nice guy. Aldryic on the other hand was a company watchdog. Not always nice, friendly and so on.
    It was just a role, nothing personal. Unless you ask Maounique. This guy have a memory of an elephant. Then it gets personal :)

Thanked by 1afn
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@Mumbly said:
    Fran was always smart, calm, nice guy. Aldryic on the other hand was a company watchdog. Not always nice, friendly and so on.
    It was just a role, nothing personal. Unless you ask Maounique. This guy have a memory of an elephant. Then it gets personal :)

Fran, Aldryic, Karen, …
    They were just roles.
    BuyVM is operated by an AI that is designed to maximize profits.
    There are no humans behind the operation.

Thanked by 2sliix Francisco
  • kevindskevinds Member, LIR
    edited June 2022

@luckypenguin said:
    Spamming global syslog with your GBs of metadata is not a welcome behavior on a seedbox I guess?

This shouldn't be possible to do.

• afnafn Member
    edited June 2022

@yoursunny said: They were just roles.

We're all just roles in a large simulation anyway 🤷

• LeviLevi Member

@yoursunny said:

@Mumbly said:

Fran, Aldryic, Karen, …
    They were just roles.
    BuyVM is operated by an AI that is designed to maximize profits.
    There are no humans behind the operation.

Yet again, we have met the son of anton branches... Where this will end?

• ArkasArkas Moderator

It's a very polarizing subject. It looks to me by looking at this thread and others that people either love PM or hate it, not much in between. What is in your opinion the best alternative to PM at this price point?

Thanked by 1PulsedMedia
  • ErisaErisa Member

@Arkas said:
    It's a very polarizing subject. It looks to me by looking at this thread and others that people either love PM or hate it, not much in between. What is in your opinion the best alternative to PM at this price point?

I dunno, my opinion is almost neutral. PM is fine for its price point, and I think those who want a higher quality service should pay for that privilege. People are always going to complain about cheap services, and while those complaints are nice to know and are genuine complaints, a certain amount of it kind of just comes with the territory.

But I don't love them, I just think they're fine. I don't have any of their services currently, though I have in the past.

A lot of the providers named in this thread (Whatbox, Ultra) will give you higher quality service and support at an appropriately higher price.

Options at this price point? Not really much in the realm of seedboxes, PM is the cheapest that I know of. To get that price elsewhere you'd have to grab a storage VPS or similar and set up all the seedbox logistics yourself (And hope your provider is okay with it, or mask your activities somehow if you feel it necessary)

• @Arkas said:

There's not really anything better at this price point if you need a provider that allows publics + gives so much bandwidth (transit is expensive, especially if you want good peering!) You could use a storage VPS but most of the time you will be suspended for I/O abuse, or just run out of bandwidth. Storage VPS are designed for backups, seedboxes for constant I/O. You could look at seedbox.io, whatbox, ultra.cc, etc but they will all be more expensive and often will be stricter about the bandwidth you'll be allowed to use, and none of them allow the use of public trackers. People are just extremely entitled and expect the world from a $4/m seedbox, I've had a slot for a while and it works perfectly fine. Some things could be better, but for the price I have 0 reason to complain.

• @afn said: You can say anything you want about PM, they're not known for being the nicest around, but buyVM, wtf happened?! Do you have a link to a thread about that incident? (if you opened one back then) BuyVM and Francisco have always been above perfect for a provider (except for their annoying fraud detection system when placing orders).

This is worst experience that i've ever had (i manage toxic communities, and i know how bad things can be, but this case were surpricely much worst).

Francisco after around as far as I remember few years chat with me, and we resolved all of the issues.

My post above, not about current situation in BuyVM, but about that some shit happened in the same manner like PulseMedia treat customers long time ago with BuyVM second guy, and this is awful experience, and should not be like that. Need to chat / answer with people gently and respect, and not searching for abusers / enemies everywhere and treat customers as a trash, or resource.

Thanked by 1einverne
  • Not exactly impressive customer care from PulsedMedia.

• There are serious problems with pulsedmedia, such as poor customer service, rude suspensions and even deletion of accounts, you are not the first nor the last to have such a bad shopping experience. Give up pulsedmedia.

Thanked by 1einverne
  • valkvalk Member

@Peterst said:
    There are serious problems with pulsedmedia, such as poor customer service, rude suspensions and even deletion of accounts, you are not the first nor the last to have such a bad shopping experience. Give up pulsedmedia.

Are you are the one acting rude towards them? Their service is very cheap and you still complain ?

• iNanjaiNanja Member

@valk said:

@Peterst said:
    There are serious problems with pulsedmedia, such as poor customer service, rude suspensions and even deletion of accounts, you are not the first nor the last to have such a bad shopping experience. Give up pulsedmedia.

Are you are the one acting rude towards them? Their service is very cheap and you still complain ?

So you are saying that we can't be rude towards them because their service is very cheap? The OP of this had their account deleted and suspended. He got bad customer service that wouldn't help him and terminated his account. They claimed he didn't want to work with them to fix error. That was not the case.

• valkvalk Member
    edited July 2022

@iNanja said:

@valk said:

@Peterst said:

So you are saying that we can't be rude towards them because their service is very cheap? The OP of this had their account deleted and suspended. He got bad customer service that wouldn't help him and terminated his account. They claimed he didn't want to work with them to fix error. That was not the case.

I haven't seen any tickets from him, not even a single screenshot. So not really sure what happened. Going to just assume as an average entitled user.

• VoidVoid Member

@valk said:

@iNanja said:

@valk said:

@Peterst said:

I haven't seen any tickets from him, not even a single screenshot. So not really sure what happened. Going to just assume as an average entitled user.

Before you assume anything, scroll up and go through the full discussion and also check the review section for this particular provider.