Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Some of Racknerd staff lack basic IT knowledge
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Some of Racknerd staff lack basic IT knowledge

sotssots Member
edited June 2022 in Providers

Today I bought a vps from racknerd, and I submitted a ticket asking for IPv6 access.

Ticket ID: 408024
@dustinc please tell Anderj B. how to test IPv6 connectivity. I doubt his/her education level. Also, please double my bandwidth, thanks :)

Thanked by 1archbeard

Comments

• wait, asking IPv6 from racknerdcrossing?

• sotssots Member

Sorry, the sequence of the screenshots may be mixed up :(

• ralfralf Member

If it helps, I think they are only able to offer IPv6 in Chicago.

• coldcold Member

@cybertech said:
    wait, asking IPv6 from racknerdcrossing?

they have on .LA location

• amarcamarc Veteran
    edited June 2022

Well.. he is not wrong (a lot). Depending on Distro/ping version ping -6 is not needed. So before accusing, check facts

This is example on almost up-to-date Arch

[root@lxd-h1 ~]# ping google.com
    PING google.com(fra07s63-in-x200e.1e100.net (2a00:1450:4001:80e::200e)) 56 data bytes
    64 bytes from fra07s63-in-x200e.1e100.net (2a00:1450:4001:80e::200e): icmp_seq=1 ttl=60 time=5.15 ms
    64 bytes from fra07s63-in-x200e.1e100.net (2a00:1450:4001:80e::200e): icmp_seq=2 ttl=60 time=5.24 ms
    64 bytes from fra07s63-in-x200e.1e100.net (2a00:1450:4001:80e::200e): icmp_seq=3 ttl=60 time=5.21 ms
    64 bytes from fra07s63-in-x200e.1e100.net (2a00:1450:4001:80e::200e): icmp_seq=4 ttl=60 time=5.20 ms

• sotssots Member

@cybertech said:

https://my.racknerd.com/index.php?rp=/knowledgebase/25/Do-you-provide-IPv6-.html
    Racknerd supports IPv6 in some locations, and my vps is in Los Angeles DC02

• ralfralf Member

Yeah, -4 and -6 are only needed to force it to one or the other.

Thanked by 1jsg
  • JabJabJabJab Member
    edited June 2022

Fucking lmao

They go as script said, no one in script said to validate if this is really IPv6. Pings? Pings! Screenshot, done.

• amarcamarc Veteran

Also, do you have IPv6 NS's at all ? "returns an error" what kind of error ?

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited June 2022

@amarc said:
    Well.. he is not wrong (a lot). Depending on Distro/ping version ping -6 is not needed. So before accusing, check facts

This is example on almost up-to-date Arch

[root@lxd-h1 ~]# ping google.com
    PING google.com(fra07s63-in-x200e.1e100.net (2a00:1450:4001:80e::200e)) 56 data bytes
    64 bytes from fra07s63-in-x200e.1e100.net (2a00:1450:4001:80e::200e): icmp_seq=1 ttl=60 time=5.15 ms
    64 bytes from fra07s63-in-x200e.1e100.net (2a00:1450:4001:80e::200e): icmp_seq=2 ttl=60 time=5.24 ms
    64 bytes from fra07s63-in-x200e.1e100.net (2a00:1450:4001:80e::200e): icmp_seq=3 ttl=60 time=5.21 ms
    64 bytes from fra07s63-in-x200e.1e100.net (2a00:1450:4001:80e::200e): icmp_seq=4 ttl=60 time=5.20 ms

While you're not wrong. This is irrelevant in this case. The console logs the support agent pastes into the ticket shows they can't seem to understand the difference between IPv4 and IPv6.

ThIs Is SoMe HiGh QuAlItY SuPpOrT

• sotssots Member

@JabJab said:
    Fucking lmao

They go as script said, no one in script said to validate if this is really IPv6. Pings? Pings! Screenshot, done.

And now my vps has NO IPv6 public address at all. I have to wait for @dustinc because I don't think the current one can solve this problem.

• ralfralf Member
    edited June 2022

@sots said:

@cybertech said:

https://my.racknerd.com/index.php?rp=/knowledgebase/25/Do-you-provide-IPv6-.html

My VPS in Los Angeles DC02 only has IPv4
    My VPS in Chicago, IL has IPv4 and IPv6

AFAIK anything that's on colocrossing is IPv4 only.

• Outsourced support, what more would you expect?

• sotssots Member

@ralf said:

@sots said:

@cybertech said:

I have another racknerd vps in LA DC02, and the staff successfully configured IPv6 for me. It's easy to configure a static IPv6 address for my vps, isn't it?

• @sots said: And now my vps has NO IPv6 public address at all. I have to wait for @dustinc because I don't think the current one can solve this problem.

You should wait for Elon Musk than

• ralfralf Member

When you find the magic words to get support to do that, please tell me then! :D

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited June 2022

@ralf said:

@sots said:

@cybertech said:

Check with Racknerd's knowledgebase.

I don't use RackNerd, but the article says they have IPv6 available in LA DC02.

Maybe they use HE's IPv6 tunnel. Maybe they have actual IPv6 infrastructure in these locations now. I don't know but all the documentations says they have IPv6 in LA DC02. You're the only person in this thread that I can think of that says otherwise, so if you have something from RackNerd about the lack of IPv6 in LA DC02 then let us know.

• sotssots Member

@HalfEatenPie said:

@ralf said:

@sots said:

@cybertech said:

Maybe they use HE's IPv6 tunnel. Maybe they have actual IPv6 infrastructure in these locations now. I don't know but all the documentations says they have IPv6 in LA DC02. You're the only person in this thread that I can think of that says otherwise, so if you have something from RackNerd about the lack of IPv6 in LA DC02 then let us know.

Actually Multacom, the colocation provider of LA datacenters, provides IPv6 by default, but the IPv6 address is not publicly routed. I've successfully enabled IPv6 access on another vps after submitting a ticket.

• @sots said:

@HalfEatenPie said:

@ralf said:

@sots said:

@cybertech said:

Actually Multacom, the colocation provider of LA datacenters, provides IPv6 by default, but the IPv6 address is not publicly routed. I've successfully enabled IPv6 access on another vps after submitting a ticket.

Thanks for the further context.

Seems like @ralf was misinformed then. Native IPv6 is supported at this site.

• sotssots Member

@ralf said:
    Yeah, -4 and -6 are only needed to force it to one or the other.

But it's required if you're testing IPv4/IPv6 connectivity. Obviously the staff does not know how to use it.

• MumblyMumbly Member

What a terrible crime!

• coldcold Member

@sots said:

@cybertech said:

in "some" means in 1 location? or do they have other too where they provide ipv6 ?

• zedzed Member

pay peanuts get monkeys --some guy

• sotssots Member

@amarc said:
    Also, do you have IPv6 NS's at all ? "returns an error" what kind of error ?

root@racknerd-8356e3:~# ping -6 google.com
    ping: connect: Network is unreachable

Of course my NS(Google 8888) supports IPv6

• dustincdustinc Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

RackNerd has a very solid reputation in the industry and within this community for providing competent, fast and consistent technical support. We truly do invest in our team and strive to provide a support experience that our customers can count on, no matter the time of day. Support is a very critical part of any IT business including web hosting, and we at RackNerd fully understand that.

This is not to say we’re perfect - we’re all human and the IT/server industry definitely has a very wide spectrum to cover when it comes to technical matters, though I will say our error rate is extremely low as a result of active management, for example - ensuring we have a shift supervisor available on every shift. To provide additional behind the scenes context with regards to the happenings within our support department, in the past month alone, we’ve onboarded more staff to our team than we did in the past 6 months. This means as part of that growth, there is going to be some margin for incorrect support handlings if something may have slipped through the cracks (or was not covered) during training (though not relevant to this particular matter, as an example, just because one candidate may be familiar with Linux or servers, does not necessarily mean they will be immediately acquainted and familiar with RackNerd’s specific procedures, or the hosting industry “lingo” right away).

I do regret this particular incident was not handled 100% properly, and this appears to be partially a mix of what another community member @amarc pointed out here. On most distributions, ping -6 isn’t needed, and Andrej in this case failed to analyze the full result before sending his response off to the end-user. I did speak with our night shift supervisor regarding this matter and we will be taking the appropriate measures internally to ensure something like this does not repeat again. Most importantly, we will be following up with @sots via ticket with a resolution.

By the way, we provide native IPv6 capabilities in our Los Angeles DC-02 location (which OP is deployed in), and several others for our bare metal product line. However, customers in other locations can benefit from tunneled IPv6 service via tunnelbroker.

• ArkasArkas Moderator

@sots you just got that rep fired :#

• VoidVoid Member

Meanwhile other providers : “here is your $8 refund and $4 fine for creating ticket“

• Infrastructure Stability is a Racknerd registered trademark?

• @jmaxwell said:
    Meanwhile other providers : “here is your $8 refund and $4 fine for creating ticket“

Virmuck?

• dustincdustinc Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

@rogerwilco said:
    Infrastructure Stability is a Racknerd registered trademark?

Hi @rogerwilco -- correct.
    Introducing Infrastructure Stability as well as RackNerd.

Thanked by 1Narcissuss