Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Some of Racknerd staff lack basic IT knowledge - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Some of Racknerd staff lack basic IT knowledge

Comments

• dustincdustinc Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

To follow up on OP’s matter, this is now resolved. Thank You for allowing us the opportunity to work with you, and correct any misunderstanding.

IPv6 was configured properly on our side, however, changes had to be made from within the OS level on the customer’s VM (customer did provide us with root info) in order for IPv6 to then work within his specific environment. We also provided customer with the steps for future reference.

Thank You.

Thanked by 3sots Alireza dystopia
  • HxxxHxxx Member

I don't usually jump to participate on these but while there was a mistake from the operator side, is kind of rude that you thought it was ok to open this thread to make fun of that person. Not cool. You could have at least removed the name.

• NarcissussNarcissuss Member
    edited June 2022

@dustinc Efficient

• sotssots Member
    edited June 2022

[deleted]

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

It's too bad Rancho Cucamonga is not a RackNerd trademark because that city name is extremely entertaining to say.

Thanked by 1dustinc

@sots said:

@dustinc said:
    RackNerd has a very solid reputation in the industry and within this community for providing competent, fast and consistent technical support. We truly do invest in our team and strive to provide a support experience that our customers can count on, no matter the time of day. Support is a very critical part of any IT business including web hosting, and we at RackNerd fully understand that.

This is not to say we’re perfect - we’re all human and the IT/server industry definitely has a very wide spectrum to cover when it comes to technical matters, though I will say our error rate is extremely low as a result of active management, for example - ensuring we have a shift supervisor available on every shift. To provide additional behind the scenes context with regards to the happenings within our support department, in the past month alone, we’ve onboarded more staff to our team than we did in the past 6 months. This means as part of that growth, there is going to be some margin for incorrect support handlings if something may have slipped through the cracks (or was not covered) during training (though not relevant to this particular matter, as an example, just because one candidate may be familiar with Linux or servers, does not necessarily mean they will be immediately acquainted and familiar with RackNerd’s specific procedures, or the hosting industry “lingo” right away).

I do regret this particular incident was not handled 100% properly, and this appears to be partially a mix of what another community member @amarc pointed out here. On most distributions, ping -6 isn’t needed, and Andrej in this case failed to analyze the full result before sending his response off to the end-user. I did speak with our night shift supervisor regarding this matter and we will be taking the appropriate measures internally to ensure something like this does not repeat again. Most importantly, we will be following up with @sots via ticket with a resolution.

By the way, we provide native IPv6 capabilities in our Los Angeles DC-02 location (which OP is deployed in), and several others for our bare metal product line. However, customers in other locations can benefit from tunneled IPv6 service via tunnelbroker.

Okay, thanks for answering. I've already submitted root password of my vps, can you find someone to get it fixed?

Hi @sots -- this has already been completed earlier. Please refer to our ticket communication (we sent a few replies earlier).

If you have any outstanding issues please let us know, we'll be here to help. Our availability is 24x7.

• VoidVoid Member

@asterisk14 said:

@jmaxwell said:
    Meanwhile other providers : “here is your $8 refund and $4 fine for creating ticket“

Virmuck?

It’s not just one

• sotssots Member

Sorry for being rude. But it's too late for me to edit the post :( I'll be more considerate next time.

@Hxxx said:
    I don't usually jump to participate on these but while there was a mistake from the operator side, is kind of rude that you thought it was ok to open this thread to make fun of that person. Not cool. You could have at least removed the name.

• sotssots Member

@dustinc said:
    To follow up on OP’s matter, this is now resolved. Thank You for allowing us the opportunity to work with you, and correct any misunderstanding.

IPv6 was configured properly on our side, however, changes had to be made from within the OS level on the customer’s VM (customer did provide us with root info) in order for IPv6 to then work within his specific environment. We also provided customer with the steps for future reference.

Thank You.

Now my ticket is resolved properly. Thank you. Also, I apologize for being rude to Andrej B.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@Arkas said:
    @sots you just got that rep fired :#

No, They just retired the name. There’s one guy named Colo > @sots said:

Sorry for being rude. But it's too late for me to edit the post :( I'll be more considerate next time.

@Hxxx said:

Don’t apologise, you paid good money to be rude.

@sots said:

@dustinc said:

Thank You.

Now my ticket is resolved properly. Thank you. Also, I apologize for being rude to Andrej B.

Glad to hear! It is our hope that you continue to enjoy our services :)

In regards to the previous handling, no issues at all, we take responsibility and know that it's on us to deliver service you'll be happy with.

Thanked by 1FrankZ
  • You need to add this on your /etc/sysctl.conf if you're using debian based os.

net.ipv6.conf.all.autoconf = 0
    net.ipv6.conf.all.accept_ra = 0
    net.ipv6.conf.eth0.autoconf = 0
    net.ipv6.conf.eth0.accept_ra = 0
  • lonealonea Member, Host Rep

Man... who cares.

If you switch to a "non lowend" provider and you'll probably get the similar response.

Knowing arguments and options for a binary isn't the end of the world.

• LeviLevi Member

@lonea said:
    Man... who cares.

If you switch to a "non lowend" provider and you'll probably get the similar response.

Knowing arguments and options for a binary isn't the end of the world.

Actually it is an end of the world. Now what?

• afnafn Member

@Hxxx said: I don't usually jump to participate on these but while there was a mistake from the operator side, is kind of rude that you thought it was ok to open this thread to make fun of that person. Not cool. You could have at least removed the name.

To me, the real rudness, is posting (multiping fucking long) phone taken screenshots, like a 16 yrs old teenager who can't live without a phone and does not know what a computer is. Do 1 screenshot on a proper computer, it would make things easier to read!

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
  • sotssots Member

@afn said:

@Hxxx said: I don't usually jump to participate on these but while there was a mistake from the operator side, is kind of rude that you thought it was ok to open this thread to make fun of that person. Not cool. You could have at least removed the name.

To me, the real rudness, is posting (multiping fucking long) phone taken screenshots, like a 16 yrs old teenager who can't live without a phone and does not know what a computer is. Do 1 screenshot on a proper computer, it would make things easier to read!

Of course I have a computer, but now I'm staying in a hotel with no computer. Would you like to buy me a laptop so that I can take it to the hotel?

• afnafn Member

@sots said: Of course I have a computer, but now I'm staying in a hotel with no computer. Would you like to buy me a laptop so that I can take it to the hotel?

sure, why not, tell me where you're staying and I will send you one ;)

off-topic: I never understood people (specially IT/dev people) who are able to stay away without access to a decent computer. How can you guys do that!? is that some kind of superpower? Or love for self-torture?

I would never do this kind of torture to myself, try to login here on mobile, take screenshots, then upload them, switch windows, and stuff on a phone, oh god... I would probably, certainly, kill myself during the process. I have no patience for such things...

Thanked by 2AlwaysSkint Arkas
  • ^ A compact, lightweight, non-bleeding-edge laptop suitable for remote admin can easily be sourced for under ~$100 on feeBay. (I have 2 suitable ones.) One wonders how many spend more on their mobile phone!

• ArkasArkas Moderator
    edited June 2022

@afn said: I never understood people (specially IT/dev people) who are able to stay away without access to a decent computer. How can you guys do that!? is that some kind of superpower? Or love for self-torture?

I'd rather be without my phone than without my laptop... I just can't see anyone in this industry surviving it by traveling without a laptop. Of course, I do also bring my phone to use it as a hot spot for internet access to my laptops (I usually travel with 2 older dells bought from fleabay for around $150 each and they run Debian beautifully) since in some countries, hotel wifi access is crap

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
  • sotssots Member

@Arkas said:

@afn said: I never understood people (specially IT/dev people) who are able to stay away without access to a decent computer. How can you guys do that!? is that some kind of superpower? Or love for self-torture?

I'd rather be without my phone than without my laptop... I just can't see anyone in this industry surviving it by traveling without a laptop. Of course, I do also bring my phone to use it as a hot spot for internet access to my laptops (I usually travel with 2 older dells bought from fleabay for around $150 each and they run Debian beautifully) since in some countries, hotel wifi access is crap

I started learning Linux 5 years ago. That time I didn't have a computer, so I had to hack my phone. I learnt how to run containers on my phone, how to write shell scripts, etc. Now I have a desktop computer, but I still have a Ubuntu container installed on my phone in case I can't access my desktop computer. A decent laptop often costs ¥4000 ($600) or more, which is too expensive for me.

• sotssots Member

@Arkas said:

Every hotel here provides Wi-Fi access for free, while the RJ45 socket in my room is broken.

• @sots said:
    I started learning Linux 5 years ago. That time I didn't have a computer, so I had to hack my phone. I learnt how to run containers on my phone, how to write shell scripts, etc. Now I have a desktop computer, but I still have a Ubuntu container installed on my phone in case I can't access my desktop computer. A decent laptop often costs ¥4000 ($600) or more, which is too expensive for me.

I used to have similar idea like you when I was young, a smartphone (In my teen period a smart mp4) covers all function. Now I totally gave up that idea since my eyes became weaker and blur on watching small screen. Take care of your health, use correct equipment do correct thing.

• @sots said:

I started learning Linux 5 years ago. That time I didn't have a computer, so I had to hack my phone. I learnt how to run containers on my phone, how to write shell scripts, etc.

How???

• "night shift supervisor"

Haha

• @TimboJones said:
    "night shift supervisor"

Haha

What's so funny about that exactly?

• sotssots Member
    edited June 2022

@plumberg said:

@sots said:

I started learning Linux 5 years ago. That time I didn't have a computer, so I had to hack my phone. I learnt how to run containers on my phone, how to write shell scripts, etc.

How???

Now I use Termux to manage my servers and run some simple tests such as mtr and whois. But computer is preferred if available.

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • afnafn Member

@sots said: A decent laptop often costs ¥4000 ($600) or more, which is too expensive for me.

What currency/country is that?

have you looked at 2nd hand market? There is always a company tossing out 4th or 6th gen intel Thinkpad/latitude/probook, for like a 100$ each (usually through some refurb shop or recycler) and they just sell them cheaply, because they got them initially for cheap + they have like 100s of them, and they have some contract where they renew the models after 3-5 years even is they are still good.

My uni once let me borrow a Probook laptop with i5, 8gb ram (back when 8gb of ram was a big deal). I was told If I lose it, I will have to pay its full price (~600$). But that thing for normal consumers costed like 1000$+

• off-topic: I never understood people (specially IT/dev people) who are able to stay away without access to a decent computer. How can you guys do that!? is that some kind of superpower? Or love for self-torture?

Not everyone is rich dude

• ralfralf Member

@szymonp said:

off-topic: I never understood people (specially IT/dev people) who are able to stay away without access to a decent computer. How can you guys do that!? is that some kind of superpower? Or love for self-torture?

Not only that, sometimes it's nice just to be without technology for a while. If I can spend the whole day where the only technology I use is my GPS watch to record my walk, I feel much better for it afterwards!

• @ralf said:

@szymonp said:

Not only that, sometimes it's nice just to be without technology for a while. If I can spend the whole day where the only technology I use is my GPS watch to record my walk, I feel much better for it afterwards!

Yeah when I go on walks I only take my ipod classic and some headphones