Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Some of Racknerd staff lack basic IT knowledge - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Some of Racknerd staff lack basic IT knowledge

1235»

Comments

• @Arkas said:

@TimboJones said: That sounded like a challenge.

It is.

@tinyweasel is your friend, he’ll use his list of compromised accounts to spam the mod team with reports.

• ArkasArkas Moderator

@stevewatson301 said: @tinyweasel is your friend, he’ll use his list of compromised accounts to spam the mod team with reports.

Everyone deserves a fair shot

• adlyadly Veteran

@Arkas said:
    Interesting. Maybe you can do better??

Probably.

• ArkasArkas Moderator

@adly said: Probably.

Then do something about it instead of being all talk.

• adlyadly Veteran

@Arkas said:

Why would anyone want to moderate this place in its current state unpaid, beyond some perceived power over internet people?

Thanked by 1iKeyZ
  • zedzed Member

this thread got bizarre, what happened to the new mod?

• @Nekki said:

@Arkas said:
    To your end.

Which end?

The bell... end

Thanked by 1bulbasaur
  • @zed said:
    this thread got bizarre, what happened to the new mod?

New Power Syndrome? Lol

Thanked by 2adly bulbasaur
  • ArkasArkas Moderator
    edited June 2022

@zed said: this thread got bizarre, what happened to the new mod?

He's talking about eggs!

Thanked by 1Logano
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@adly said:

@Arkas said:

Why would anyone want to moderate this place in its current state unpaid, beyond some perceived power over internet people?

I'm more than happy to help during my free time. After all, I've been here for more than 10 years.

• @adly said:

@Arkas said:

From my WHT days I noticed a number of moderators also had web hosting companies. It seemed to help generate revenue as the company is seen as trustworthy through the appointment of moderator status.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@rogerwilco said:

@adly said:

@Arkas said:

From my WHT days I noticed a number of moderators also had web hosting companies. It seemed to help generate revenue as the company is seen as trustworthy through the appointment of moderator status.

It made no difference in our case. Perhaps it does at WHT.

• zedzed Member

@Arkas said:

@zed said: this thread got bizarre, what happened to the new mod?

He's talking about eggs!

controversial!

• At least for me, Racknerd has been solid

• VoidVoid Member

It’s true that RN threads stay on top forever, even if it is criticism.

• ralfralf Member

That's just because of the constant drive to get people to post invoice numbers to get the specs they wanted to buy originally. If they were just provisioned with the deal immediately, the post would quickly end up on page 3.

• VoidVoid Member

Invoice #69420 double IT Knowledge please

Thanked by 1gbzret4d
  • regarding ipv6 at racknerd los angeles location I gave up, as their support staff wasn´t able to help me getting this working. They blamed my OS, interestingly this os works very well with ipv6 at another vps provider.... support at racknerd was so so at most in my opinion.

• toppertopper Member
    edited August 2022

@gessler said:
    regarding ipv6 at racknerd los angeles location I gave up, as their support staff wasn´t able to help me getting this working. They blamed my OS, interestingly this os works very well with ipv6 at another vps provider.... support at racknerd was so so at most in my opinion.

I purchased a LAX server with ubuntu 20.04 installed yesterday, and ask staff to add ipv6 support,
    the ticket response very fast, with the correct setup step,
    basically, I just copy and paste commands that they send.

maybe you can try click the "reconfigure network" button on solusVM panel,

or ask for gateway and IP information directly and set it up on your own.

only one thing confused me,
    They config a /64 subnet in interface file, and solusVM panel show a full /128 IP
    I don't think it's a common way to set up ipv6, most providers I used who don't plan to give a whole /64 subnet chose either provide /128 directly or give user a smaller subnet like /112 /122.

• Well it´s almost a year that I tried to get ipv6 working with them, so it might have been fixed who knows, but in the control panel there is only on ipv6 adress and I doubt that anything changed.

• dustincdustinc Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

@gessler said:
    regarding ipv6 at racknerd los angeles location I gave up, as their support staff wasn´t able to help me getting this working. They blamed my OS, interestingly this os works very well with ipv6 at another vps provider.... support at racknerd was so so at most in my opinion.

Hi @gessler — I see you mentioned this was a year ago, do you mind sending me a DM with your ticket number or VPS IP so I can review? Generally speaking we do not touch customer’s OS environments on unmanaged services (in short anything OS level or higher is handled by the customer, anything below the OS level such as hardware is what we do handle), that is not to say we’re not willing to lend a hand for our customers as needed and I think many can speak for the fact we do try to go the extra mile, but it’s important to keep in mind where our technicians are coming from, in that we don’t even have access to our customer’s unmanaged servers unless they provide us with their root password (nor should we for an unmanaged service). As @topper pointed out, some commands generally do need to be run on the OS level before IPv6 will start functioning.

In either case feel free to DM me or email me at [email protected] — I will help oversee the resolution of this and assist you accordingly.

• @gessler said:

If you're using Ubuntu or Debian, you need to add these on your /etc/sysctl.conf

net.ipv6.conf.all.autoconf = 0
    net.ipv6.conf.all.accept_ra = 0
    net.ipv6.conf.eth0.autoconf = 0
    net.ipv6.conf.eth0.accept_ra = 0
  • You don't have to do above, just reconfig-networking at Solus, it will work. Don't do anything to OS as others suggested.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited August 2022

This reminds me the beginning of IPv6 in Romania when I have asked some 10 years ago my provider (company, not personal) when are they going to allocate me IPv6 (since other providers were deploying already and I had that romantic idea that soon everyone would start). Remember, I had a corporate account for a medium size company as well as phone and other things such office interconnectivity (internal only, I managed the gateways) so not a small thing. The conversation went like this:

Me: Hey, I would like to know when could we get an IPV6 allocation? At this time any size would do. Thanks!
    Tech support for premium customer: Hello! As far as I can see, you have a /24, I do not see an allocation of 6 IPs. If you wish to order more, please contact the commercial department, then we will make the allocation. Have a good day!
    Me: You misunderstood me, I was talking about the IPv6 allocation, before contacting the commercial department it would be nice to know whether it is possible technically or not, even at an experimental level it would be acceptable at this point.
    Tech support for premium customer: Hello! As noted, you do not have allocated a batch of 6 IPs as far as I could inquire. As for the technical possibility, of course it is available, we can provide you with a new IP allocation at any time since you have no problems with abuse.

After a few more ping-pongs I linked an article about IPv6 and the guy "escalated" the issue and I had to answer a lot of questions about why would I need IPv6 like it was at least a prescription drug or something.

• I use OpenBSD, in years haven´t touched any linux which I don´t like at all to be honest. I´m aware that this is a rather rare OS and many are not familiar with it, it´s just a bit strange that it works at another provider without any issues, might be some configuration on the vps host os or something else that is causing the issue with my OS. But let it as it is, works well with ipv4 and uptime and so on is very good, that is what´s really important.

• @tenpera said:
    You don't have to do above, just reconfig-networking at Solus, it will work. Don't do anything to OS as others suggested.

Which OS you tried that on RN?

• AdvinAdvin Member, Patron Provider
    edited August 2022

On the topic of Racknerd, I just got this today for my 100GB 15 account reseller plan:

A bit unfortunate, but it was only $3/month, can't complain for the price. I uploaded the ISO temporarily to do a bit of testing for Windows with VirtIO drivers, but looks like it's not allowed by the TOS 😕 I'm slightly curious as to why this is given that I have both limited bandwidth and storage from Racknerd 🤔

• TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited August 2022

@Advin said:
    On the topic of Racknerd, I just got this today for my 100GB 15 account reseller plan:

A bit unfortunate, but it was only $3/month, can't complain for the price. I uploaded the ISO temporarily to do a bit of testing for Windows with VirtIO drivers, but looks like it's not allowed by the TOS 😕 I'm slightly curious as to why this is given that I have both limited bandwidth and storage from Racknerd 🤔

Probably automated and/or the "cdn" path was not liked. Just delete it and no harm done. If you needed it for ongoing testing, I'd just ticket them to say it's not a backup, it's not video and downloaded over http specifically to setup custom VPS. I'm sure they'd be ok with that.