Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oracle Cloud Free Tier - Page 22
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Oracle Cloud Free Tier

Comments

• @APenguinWeb said:
    Is anyone else getting "No route to host" on the new ARM A1.flex instances on all ports other then ssh? Under the original free instances i am able to use any ports i want so i am not sure what is happening?

You have to edit the iptables in that case.

• djndjn Member

I installed debian with the arm version of netboot.xyz
    London Seems to have slower network :(

## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ##

Yet-Another-Bench-Script

v2020-12-29

https://github.com/masonr/yet-another-bench-script

## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ##

Thu 27 May 21:01:32 BST 2021
    Architecture not supported by YABS.

Basic System Information:

Processor :
    CPU cores : @ MHz
    AES-NI : ✔ Enabled
    VM-x/AMD-V : ❌ Disabled
    RAM : 5.7 GiB
    Swap : 976.0 MiB
    Disk : 44.7 GiB

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):

Block Size 4k (IOPS) 64k (IOPS)
    Read 6.09 MB/s (1.5k) 26.31 MB/s (411)
    Write 6.07 MB/s (1.5k) 26.79 MB/s (418)
    Total 12.16 MB/s (3.0k) 53.10 MB/s (829)
    Block Size 512k (IOPS) 1m (IOPS)
    ------ --- ---- ---- ----
    Read 24.59 MB/s (48) 24.04 MB/s (23)
    Write 25.98 MB/s (50) 26.54 MB/s (25)
    Total 50.57 MB/s (98) 50.58 MB/s (48)

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv4):

Provider | Location (Link) | Send Speed | Recv Speed
    | | |
    Clouvider | London, UK (10G) | 508 Mbits/sec | 510 Mbits/sec
    Online.net | Paris, FR (10G) | 507 Mbits/sec | 506 Mbits/sec
    WorldStream | The Netherlands (10G) | 506 Mbits/sec | 508 Mbits/sec
    Biznet | Jakarta, Indonesia (1G) | 410 Mbits/sec | 112 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider | NYC, NY, US (10G) | 482 Mbits/sec | 489 Mbits/sec
    Velocity Online | Tallahassee, FL, US (10G) | 465 Mbits/sec | 473 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 463 Mbits/sec | 453 Mbits/sec
    Iveloz Telecom | Sao Paulo, BR (2G) | 405 Mbits/sec | 78.0 Mbits/sec

Geekbench 5 test failed. Run manually to determine cause.

• smarty24smarty24 Member
    edited May 2021

@djn said:

@djn : Would you mind to write down the main steps you did using netboot.xyz for installing Debian?

• OujiOuji Member

Not sure how, but I have 3 instances (two normal and one ARM) and all of them have public IP addresses.

• tetechtetech Member

@Ouji said:
    Not sure how, but I have 3 instances (two normal and one ARM) and all of them have public IP addresses.

My experience is each instance gets allocated public IP address. I have not encountered any limit of two/three, and I don't see that documented anywhere currently.

My experience is also that you can create an "always free" ARM instance in any region, i.e. not strictly your home region. The instance itself is not charged but the boot volume is charged at block storage rates, i.e. roughly 1 Euro/month for 50GB. You would normally get the boot volume for free in your home region.

That's based on some quick tests the past few days.

Thanked by 1sebkehl
  • OujiOuji Member

@tetech said:

@Ouji said:

My experience is each instance gets allocated public IP address. I have not encountered any limit of two/three, and I don't see that documented anywhere currently.

My experience is also that you can create an "always free" ARM instance in any region, i.e. not strictly your home region. The instance itself is not charged but the boot volume is charged at block storage rates, i.e. roughly 1 Euro/month for 50GB. You would normally get the boot volume for free in your home region.

That's based on some quick tests the past few days.

You can find the docs talking about the limitation here: https://docs.oracle.com/en-us/iaas/Content/FreeTier/freetier_topic-Always_Free_Resources.htm on the Compute section, but I guess they are not enforcing this. On my side it's not worth to make an instance on another region as any VPS with similar specs (1gb, 50gb disk, 50Mbps network) would be at least $3 monthly and their datacenter is less than 20km from here, so it's great for me.
    Now I just want to install debian on this ARM, the ubunt install went just fine, 24GB is indeed a lot.

• @Ouji said:

Are you still on your 30 day trial?

• tetechtetech Member

@Ouji said: You can find the docs talking about the limitation here: https://docs.oracle.com/en-us/iaas/Content/FreeTier/freetier_topic-Always_Free_Resources.htm on the Compute section, but I guess they are not enforcing this.

Thanks, that bullet must have been added in the past few days, as I read the same page earlier. They do not seem to be enforcing it (yet?) since I created 5 with no problem.

• OujiOuji Member

@kwaralala said: Are you still on your 30 day trial?

No, I'm past that already.

@tetech said:

@Ouji said: You can find the docs talking about the limitation here: https://docs.oracle.com/en-us/iaas/Content/FreeTier/freetier_topic-Always_Free_Resources.htm on the Compute section, but I guess they are not enforcing this.

Thanks, that bullet must have been added in the past few days, as I read the same page earlier. They do not seem to be enforcing it (yet?) since I created 5 with no problem.

They could give us at least 3 IPs so people could run a setup like mine. I am wondering, how could I connect if I were to have 3 instances but only 2 IPs? Maybe create a VPN tunnel from one to another and use one of them as a gateway?

• pwnedpwned Member

@tetech said:

I was limited to 2 public and 1 reserved IPv4 addresses. No problem creating a 4th instance with IPv6 and a private IPv4 address, though.

I'm impressed. The Ampere boxes seem really fast, no problem installing Debian (I do the netboot kernel+initrd from grub method), and both IPv4 and v6 are working.

Thanked by 1smarty24
  • tetechtetech Member

@Ouji said:

@kwaralala said: Are you still on your 30 day trial?

No, I'm past that already.

@tetech said:

They could give us at least 3 IPs so people could run a setup like mine. I am wondering, how could I connect if I were to have 3 instances but only 2 IPs? Maybe create a VPN tunnel from one to another and use one of them as a gateway?

In your home region, they should be on the same 10.x.x.x subnet, so you just ssh into the one with the public IP and from there to 10.x.x.x. You could create a VPN/tunnel but generally not needed for ssh. Or use IPv6.

For public-facing services, you can put HAProxy on the front-facing one and proxy to the private subnet. This is what I'm already doing with the two AMD instances.

Thanked by 1Ouji
  • OujiOuji Member

@pwned said: I was limited to 2 public and 1 reserved IPv4 addresses. No problem creating a 4th instance with IPv6 and a private IPv4 address, though.

That might be it. One of those v4 is reserved. So maybe, although not specified in their docs, you can have 2x ephemeral and 1x reserved?

• NanoG6NanoG6 Member

@Ouji said:

That’s interesting, and now I’m blaming myself for deleting 2 amd64 instances, but unable create any after that.. shiiiiiieet

• tetechtetech Member
    edited May 2021

@Ouji said:

@pwned said: I was limited to 2 public and 1 reserved IPv4 addresses. No problem creating a 4th instance with IPv6 and a private IPv4 address, though.

That might be it. One of those v4 is reserved. So maybe, although not specified in their docs, you can have 2x ephemeral and 1x reserved?

I think this is what Neoon said a page or two back.

However, when I created stuff in other regions I got a public IP assigned to each one. My guess at this stage is they use the boot volume as a limiter for the other regions, i.e. they figure "without a boot volume you can't create an instance, so we just need to block that and don't need to do it by individual component".

• DwayneDwayne Member

@Ouji said:

I am not exactly sure but maybe you could use their free load balancer which comes with its own IP albeit at the cost of bandwidth then being limited to 10 MBit/s.

• eafeaf Member

@pwned said: no problem installing Debian (I do the netboot kernel+initrd from grub method)

Any guide or page showing how to do it? Thanks,

• DwayneDwayne Member

@eaf said:

@pwned said: no problem installing Debian (I do the netboot kernel+initrd from grub method)

Different approach I think but I am using this script: https://github.com/bohanyang/debi

Thanked by 1eaf
  • smile93smile93 Member

I created a monster VPS to test (16 CPU Threads, 96GB RAM)

https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/8135399

Geekbench 5 Score
    872 Single-Core Score
    11806 Multi-Core Score

https://www.speedtest.net/result/c/f0a6acab-6233-48a4-b6bd-aced4d4e6d35

• pwnedpwned Member

@eaf said:

Create the instance using the Ubuntu image as usual. Be sure you can log in over ssh, then create a console connection (I like the serial console, because it reminds me of using the console port on a Sparcstation 2).

Grab the netboot installer kernel and initrd (http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/dists/stable/main/installer-arm64/current/images/netboot/debian-installer/arm64/linux and http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/dists/stable/main/installer-arm64/current/images/netboot/debian-installer/arm64/initrd.gz) and copy them into the /boot directory.

Modify the /boot/grub/grub.cfg file: you'll want to change the timeouts from 0 to 5 or 10 seconds, and be sure the timeout_style is set to "menu", not "hidden". Add a new menuentry item for the installer:

menuentry "Debian installer" {
    echo "Booting installer..."
    linux /boot/linux priority=low console=tty1 console=ttyS0
    initrd /boot/initrd.gz
    }

Reboot and the serial console should show the grub menu. Select the installer and you're on your way!

Hope this helps!

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited May 2021

@tetech said: My experience is each instance gets allocated public IP address. I have not encountered any limit of two/three

@tetech said: My experience is also that you can create an "always free" ARM instance in any region, i.e. not strictly your home region. The instance itself is not charged but the boot volume is charged at block storage rates, i.e. roughly 1 Euro/month for 50GB.

So you are either on a paid account, or still within your 30 day trial, where you burn the trial $300 credit on that. Point is, your experience is not exactly applicable to most people on this thread, and saying "hey you can also create ARM in other regions, and have public IPs for everything" only sounds confusing, because after the initial 30 day period ends, all of this is no longer possible for free.

• djndjn Member
    edited May 2021

@smarty24 said:

@djn said:

@djn : Would you mind to write down the main steps you did using netboot.xyz for installing Debian?

Set up a console connection "let me know if you want instuctions as its a pain"
    wget https://boot.netboot.xyz/ipxe/netboot.xyz-arm64.efi
    sudo mv netboot.xyz-arm64.efi /boot/efi/
    reboot
    Spam ESC as it's rebooting

Hope this helps

• dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

Did somebody figure out who it works to get an "Always Free" ARM instance in a paid account after the trial period?

"VM.Standard.A1.Flex" template is shown as "Always Free Eligible" but after creating it there is no "Always Free" tag on the created instance.

I already have two "VM.Standard.E2.1.Micro" instances which are marked "Always Free" and haven't been charged for them so far.

Is the total number of instances limited to two, i.e. do I have to delete one E2.Micro instance and then the A1.Flex will become "Always Free"?
    Or is just the ARM computing instance free and you always have to pay for the boot volume?

According to Oracle Blog the always free tier includes up to 4 OCPU and 24 GB RAM (nothing mentioned about storage). Is this dedicated to ARM or is this a combined limit for ARM and AMD instances?

• tetechtetech Member

@dfroe said:
    Did somebody figure out who it works to get an "Always Free" ARM instance in a paid account after the trial period?

"VM.Standard.A1.Flex" template is shown as "Always Free Eligible" but after creating it there is no "Always Free" tag on the created instance.

I already have two "VM.Standard.E2.1.Micro" instances which are marked "Always Free" and haven't been charged for them so far.

Is the total number of instances limited to two, i.e. do I have to delete one E2.Micro instance and then the A1.Flex will become "Always Free"?
    Or is just the ARM computing instance free and you always have to pay for the boot volume?

According to Oracle Blog the always free tier includes up to 4 OCPU and 24 GB RAM (nothing mentioned about storage). Is this dedicated to ARM or is this a combined limit for ARM and AMD instances?

It does not show the "Always free" tag but you will not be charged anything (even for boot volume) if it is in your home region. I've run it for a few days and nothing shows up in cost analysis.

An educated guess is that this lack of tag is because the ARM instances are "flex" shapes where you can change the RAM/cores, whereas the AMD shapes were fixed.

Thanked by 1dfroe
  • That much ram, what good is it used for? :smiley:

• eafeaf Member

go to your limit page, there are more detail about quote, usage etc. https://cloud.oracle.com/limits

• tetechtetech Member

@youandri said:
    That much ram, what good is it used for? :smiley:

Run clamd and you will soon wonder where it all went. Or cache a mysql table in RAM for speed. Or cache (nginx/varnish/redis).

Thanked by 1youandri
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate
    edited May 2021

@youandri said:

I need to compile my push-up delivery software for ARMv8 (so far I only have ARMv7), and then I can cache 2 hours of content in RAM.
    1 full CPU for 6GB RAM is a better ratio than ahem HostHatch.

Thanked by 2youandri skorupion
  • dragon1993dragon1993 Member
    edited May 2021

@yoursunny said:

@youandri said:

I need to compile my push-up delivery software for ARMv8 (so far I only have ARMv7), and then I can cache 2 hours of content in RAM.
    1 full CPU for 6GB RAM is a better ratio than ahem HostHatch.

When you use docker images, you can build ARM image on x64 with docker buildx and qemu

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • these new ARM bases VMs are fun and all, but if u want 4 of them with 1 core u dont ahve enough IPs and it doesnt seem u can get them behind a NAT gateway, so no internet for all instances :( has anyone found a way to fix this?

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@Tripleflix said:
    these new ARM bases VMs are fun and all, but if u want 4 of them with 1 core u dont ahve enough IPs and it doesnt seem u can get them behind a NAT gateway, so no internet for all instances :( has anyone found a way to fix this?

You got 3x IPv4, so you can NAT them yourself.
    Works fine, with wireguard you can even easily get 300Mbit throughput.

I did enabled v4 NAT for my RPi4 at Ikoula via Oracle Cloud.
    Using this shit.

https://github.com/Ne00n/pipe-builder-3000/tree/v6-only-support
    https://github.com/Ne00n/bird-spawner-3000

Just set the default gatway to a machine that has IPv4 connectivity in the vxlan.

Thanked by 2Ouji chedenaz