Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oracle Cloud Free Tier - Page 25
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Oracle Cloud Free Tier

Comments

• v3ngv3ng Member, Patron Provider

yea they can ping each other.

I've already added a rule to the firewall to allow IPv6 traffic.

::/0 allow al protocols, ingress and egress

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited June 2021

@v3ng said:
    yea they can ping each other.

I've already added a rule to the firewall to allow IPv6 traffic.

::/0 allow al protocols, ingress and egress

Not firewall rule, routing rule.
    By default there is no route to the internet.

Ah thanks!

Do you have a hint which target type and block to use?

::/0 and type internet gateway doesn't seem to work, my vms still can't reach a ipv6 target

@v3ng said:
    ::/0 and type internet gateway doesn't seem to work, my vms still can't reach a ipv6 target

Thanked by 2Andrews SpeedTest

Works thanks!

I've now added it to the existing rule, rather than adding a new rule set

• JioJio Member

is the reserved 3rd ip free? i don't see it say free tier when it is created. also kind of unsure how to add it as a 2nd ip to the instance, do i need to make LB or can i just have two NAT ips?

• For the 4Core/24GB Free tier...is there any other linux supported apart from Oracle Linux ?

• @host4cheap said:
    For the 4Core/24GB Free tier...is there any other linux supported apart from Oracle Linux ?

You can use Ubuntu (not minimal as of this post).

• Is the bw limit of 10 Tb per instance we create or total for our oracle account?

• edited June 2021

@surihost said:
    Is the bw limit of 10 Tb per instance we create or total for our oracle account?

https://www.oracle.com/cloud/free/#always-free

Per that, outbound transfer is for the entirety of the account - egress from Oracle is a good way to think of it.

So to clarify, 10TB of outbound transit from any and all of your instances. There is a asterisk there in which I believe that object storage does give you 10GB of outbound transfer as well in addition. But someone should double check that for me.

Thanked by 2surihost vimalware
  • surihostsurihost Member
    edited June 2021

@daxterfellowes said:

@surihost said:
    Is the bw limit of 10 Tb per instance we create or total for our oracle account?

https://www.oracle.com/cloud/free/#always-free

Per that, outbound transfer is for the entirety of the account - egress from Oracle is a good way to think of it.

Thanks,we have to keep that in mind.

• varwwwvarwww Member
    edited June 2021

What happens when you cross the 10 TB on an "always free" compute instance ? Is it suspended or you are billed and automatically charged on the card that you entered on signup?

• @varwww said:
    What happens when you cross the 10 TB on an "always free" compute instance ? Is it suspended or you are billed and automatically charged on the card that you entered on signup?

Billed. That's kind of the deal with cloud, you use more and you pay more.

Thanked by 1varwww
  • @CyberneticTitan said:

@host4cheap said:
    For the 4Core/24GB Free tier...is there any other linux supported apart from Oracle Linux ?

You can use Ubuntu (not minimal as of this post).

If I select OCID = ocid1.image.oc1.phx.aaaaaaaahlrkq3igbj7x6qvpggeyko4x4qitcdglxxkgoesrmqnqjijxuygq

It reverts it back
    Your selected shape VM.Standard.A1.Flex is not available in the current availability domain, or is incompatible with the current image. The shape was reset to VM.Standard.E2.1.Micro.

• varwwwvarwww Member
    edited June 2021

I feel this should be regulated across all providers by some law.

Users should be given a choice on whether their service should be suspended / continued with billed use when bandwidth limit is reached. Most of the cloud providers now scam people by adding a feature to "alert" you and not set hard bill capping limits.

https://www.oracle.com/in/cloud/networking/networking-pricing.html Oracle network pricing.

AWS - Since 10 years bill capping feature request not answered - https://forums.aws.amazon.com/thread.jspa?start=50&threadID=58127&tstart=0

There are many horror stories out there, DDoS attack may take out your life savings when hosting on the major cloud providers.

• bulbasaurbulbasaur Member
    edited June 2021

@varwww said: I feel this should be regulated across all providers by some law.
    Users should be given a choice on whether their service should be suspended / continued with billed use when bandwidth limit is reached

That would not really allow cloud services to exist. They aren't LE* hosts who can simply suspend or delete your VPS, since they have a different billing model oriented towards measuring each component of your usage.

As an example, if you're using their servers and object storage, and your billing goes beyond a certain point, what should they do? You are billed for disk size, hours of server usage, and bandwidth for the server, and the amount of storage space and bandwidth used on their object storage. In this situation, how should they go about suspending or stopping your billing?

The biggest increase might come from an oversized disk or too many people using your object storage bucket, so should they delete your files? Or it might be the bandwidth, in which case would you like some downtime by stopping all networking traffic?

The cloud is comparable to consuming electricity from the power company. If you put in a power consuming appliance and leave it running, you're billed for it. I don't see power companies becoming illegal anytime soon. But of course, we're all cheapskates here looking for free services :tongue:

@varwww said:
    I feel this should be regulated across all providers by some law.

Users should be given a choice on whether their service should be suspended / continued with billed use when bandwidth limit is reached. Most of the cloud providers now scam people by adding a feature to "alert" you and not set hard bill capping limits.

https://www.oracle.com/in/cloud/networking/networking-pricing.html Oracle network pricing.

AWS - Since 10 years bill capping feature request not answered - https://forums.aws.amazon.com/thread.jspa?start=50&threadID=58127&tstart=0

There are many horror stories out there, DDoS attack may take out your life savings when hosting on the major cloud providers.

Oracle said, its free "trust us", so yeah trust them.
    Besides, even if they have a capping feature, dosen't mean its fast enough.

Could be only updated every few hours, so you would be fucked anyway, like Leasweb.
    Just add a prepaid credit card, if they bill you for some reason, which they say they don't not much will happen anyway.

Thanked by 2varwww Maounique
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@Neoon said: Just add a prepaid credit card,

Or use a cc like me and put online limit really low if possible.
    I need to input an SMS code for something larger.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited June 2021

@stevewatson301 said: Billed. That's kind of the deal with cloud, you use more and you pay more.

Kindly cease and desist this speech coming out of your ass. The free tier account cannot be charged for anything, unless you upgrade to the paid tier. Really, you have no grounds to state that, other than "but uhm it's like that with AWS and others".

Now, if they leave you with an invoice and ask to upgrade before continuing to use, is another matter. But certainly not auto-charge from credit card (which they don't even keep as a Payment Method with connection to free accounts).

Thanked by 2varwww Pixels
  • JioJio Member

Should point out that again, enterprise does not care if they get charged, they just want their shit to stay up >99% of the time, not suspension, not downtime, just stay online as fast as possible.

Completely different demographic than people melting down over 1GB overage.

• Thanks, this will help provide after my AWS free tier expires this month!

@dragon1993 said:
    Denied my revolut card

Also I just used a virtual Revolut Visa debit card and it accepted it fine, just make sure it isn't an online shopping one as they seemingly verify twice for £1/$1.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@varwww said: Users should be given a choice on whether their service should be suspended / continued with billed use when bandwidth limit is reached.

We use 2 methods depending on panel.
    Legacy services in Solus are suspended;
    Newer services in Virtualizor are limited to 10 mbps.
    In theory, IWStack traffic overusage will get you billed more credits PREPAID, but that is only enforced in extreme cases (i think i can remember about 10).

Thanked by 2vimalware varwww
  • @WebWizard said:
    Thanks, this will help provide after my AWS free tier expires this month!

@dragon1993 said:
    Denied my revolut card

Also I just used a virtual Revolut Visa debit card and it accepted it fine, just make sure it isn't an online shopping one as they seemingly verify twice for £1/$1.

I think now accepting more card that in the past.
    E.g: Few week ago, denied my card, bit now accepted it.

• Does anyone know how to console connect to an ARM machine running ubuntu? I can get to the login screen but i dont know the ubuntu password and rebooting the VM and using the up/down arrows on boot doesnt do anything. I cant get to a boot menu.

• @RAINMAN00 said:
    Does anyone know how to console connect to an ARM machine running ubuntu? I can get to the login screen but i dont know the ubuntu password and rebooting the VM and using the up/down arrows on boot doesnt do anything. I cant get to a boot menu.

To get to boot menu, courtesy of @djn
    https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3235906#Comment_3235906

You can use passwd to change password.

• RAINMAN00RAINMAN00 Member
    edited June 2021

@kwaralala said:

@RAINMAN00 said:
    Does anyone know how to console connect to an ARM machine running ubuntu? I can get to the login screen but i dont know the ubuntu password and rebooting the VM and using the up/down arrows on boot doesnt do anything. I cant get to a boot menu.

To get to boot menu, courtesy of @djn
    https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3235906#Comment_3235906

You can use passwd to change password.

Thanks. Got it now.

• New to this....can someone help

• unable to select OS anything apart from Oracle Linux
    • keeps showing no capacity in Phoenix region for ARM 4/24GB instance. How often do they add capacity
  • @host4cheap said:
    New to this....can someone help

• keeps showing no capacity in Phoenix region for ARM 4/24GB instance. How often do they add capacity

You can select Ubuntu (normal, not minimum) to install on ARM

Now, it is really hard to get the ARM deployed. All by luck.

• @smile93 said:

@host4cheap said:
    New to this....can someone help

You can select Ubuntu (normal, not minimum) to install on ARM

Now, it is really hard to get the ARM deployed. All by luck.

Grabbed one. However can't get Ubuntu. If I select OCID = ocid1.image.oc1.phx.aaaaaaaahlrkq3igbj7x6qvpggeyko4x4qitcdglxxkgoesrmqnqjijxuygq

It reverts it back
    Your selected shape VM.Standard.A1.Flex is not available in the current availability domain, or is incompatible with the current image. The shape was reset to VM.Standard.E2.1.Micro.