Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oracle Cloud Free Tier - Page 24
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Oracle Cloud Free Tier

Comments

• v3ngv3ng Member, Patron Provider

Wait, so I can create two instances with 6 GB+ 18 GB RAM?

What's the catch?

• yoshi_312yoshi_312 Member
    edited May 2021

@Neoon said:

It works, but its complicated.
    Don't destroy any instance, the zone may run out of stock if you are unlucky.

What dosen't work?

I've assigned an ipv6 address to my ARM instance but the instance does not seem to get it.
    It only gets a fe80:: ipv6 (and it has no ipv6 connectivity) when my AMD instance gets both a fe80:: and the 2603:: assigned in the vnic, as if dhcpv6 was not working on the ARM side

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@yoshi_312 said:

@Neoon said:

It works, but its complicated.
    Don't destroy any instance, the zone may run out of stock if you are unlucky.

What dosen't work?

I've assigned an ipv6 address to my ARM instance but the instance does not seem to get it.
    It only gets a fe80:: ipv6 (and it has no ipv6 connectivity) when my AMD instance gets both a fe80:: and the 2603:: assigned in the vnic, as if dhcpv6 was not working on the ARM side

reboot, should assign.

• CabbageCabbage Member

Has anyone else had trouble signing up? I signed up, entered proper credentials, wait a day, and still can't sign in (Error message suggests that my username is invalid). Of course, I'm using the name I used when I signed up for Oracle Cloud, not my email nor Oracle account username.

• marianmarian Member

@yoshi_312 - I have the same issue as you (AMD - ivp6 / ARM - noipv6) and after several restarts I still not have ipv6 assigned to ARM machine

• @Neoon said:

@yoshi_312 said:

reboot, should assign.

Unfortunately it does not :/
    That's why I tried to terminate and recreate an instance but it does not help

• HakimHakim Member

@Cabbage said: Has anyone else had trouble signing up? I signed up, entered proper credentials, wait a day, and still can't sign in (Error message suggests that my username is invalid). Of course, I'm using the name I used when I signed up for Oracle Cloud, not my email nor Oracle account username.

Did you receive mail about your signup & account provisioning?

• CabbageCabbage Member
    edited May 2021

@Hakim said:

@Cabbage said: Has anyone else had trouble signing up? I signed up, entered proper credentials, wait a day, and still can't sign in (Error message suggests that my username is invalid). Of course, I'm using the name I used when I signed up for Oracle Cloud, not my email nor Oracle account username.

Did you receive mail about your signup & account provisioning?

Only mail I received from them is when I was trying to verify my mail, so no. Come to think of it, that does seem odd. If I try to sign up again with the same email, it says that it has already been used, though. Even weirder, when I go to the recover my password page, and enter the email I signed up with, the request does go through, but no mails arrive in my inbox.

• HakimHakim Member

In my case, I received two emails after the verification email. The first one was thanking me & the other one received after around 20 minutes about my cloud account fully provisioning. Though I could create instances before the last email.

@Cabbage said: Even weirder, when I go to the recover my password page, and enter the email I signed up with, the request does go through, but no mails arrive in my inbox.

Looks like they show a success message whatever email address you provide there but don't send the password reset email. You can contact them from the live chat option or just create another one using another email address.

Thanked by 1Cabbage
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@default said: Yes, but I also think this won't last. Offering free services is a magnet for abuses. One day people will get an email about some terms regarding limitations or price increases, or even discontinuing the free services.

Well, I have had non-free service from aruba which behaved like that. Lately, though, the bar for free is lower and lower.

Is anyone running wireguard on it?
    10TB traffic should be more than enough for most usecases

• skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

Is the arm based 4 core 24 GB RAM offering free?

• HakimHakim Member

@skorupion said:

Yup. You can create upto 4 instances with this resources.

Thanked by 1nyamenk

@Hakim said:

@skorupion said:

Yup. You can create upto 4 instances with this resources.

Sheeeeees oh wait boomers are there nvm. Deeeeam

Speedtest by Ookla

Server: Netprotect - Amsterdam (id = 37566)
            ISP: Oracle Cloud
        Latency:     0.92 ms   (0.02 ms jitter)
       Download:   966.11 Mbps (data used: 1.4 GB)
         Upload:   966.20 Mbps (data used: 1.4 GB)
    Packet Loss: Not available.
     Result URL: https://www.speedtest.net/result/c/6de6a922-99ae-4abb-bc0f-31cbb685dd0c

Best thing its all free

• @v3ng said:

Wireguard work fine but, primary I only use my hetzner vps.

@v3ng said:

Works fine.

edited May 2021

Does anyone know how to change the private IP on the VM to a public IP (using ubuntu 20.04)

• JioJio Member

@skorupion said: Does anyone know how to change the private IP on the VM to a public IP (using ubuntu 20.04)

all IP is NAT. you have to open ports in VCN virtual cloud network, you will never get public ip to visible inside the interface (ip addr -4 etc)

@Jio said:

@skorupion said: Does anyone know how to change the private IP on the VM to a public IP (using ubuntu 20.04)

all IP is NAT. you have to open ports in VCN virtual cloud network, you will never get public ip to visible inside the interface (ip addr -4 etc)

u sure there ain't no workaraunds

• JioJio Member

@skorupion said: u sure there ain't no workaraunds

no. this is not how it works.

you get every port anyway, just open them in the firewall, it's basically 1:1 nat

@skorupion said:

@Jio said:

Yes, IPv6 is direct, however the rest goes NAT.
    If you configure that firewall of oracle shit properly, you can unlock all ports.
    And you can use it like any normal VPS.

So not seeing any issue.

@Neoon said:

@skorupion said:

@Jio said:

If you configure that firewall of oracle shit properly, you can unlock all ports.

So not seeing any issue.

well time to read documentation on how to do that

@skorupion said:

@Neoon said:

@skorupion said:

@Jio said:

So not seeing any issue.

well time to read documentation on how to do that

Then you just clear iptables with: iptables -F
    Add the same rule to egress too.

Thanked by 2Andrews tux
  • JioJio Member

FYI - in enterprise world, virtually everything is NAT and nothing has public IPs. Entire corporate campus might have 1 exit IP through a filtering proxy that breaks https

You use so many 10.0.0.0/8 IP that you run out of 10/8. It's not at all like VPS world, in fact many don't allow public IPs at all as a rule, and anything internet facing goes through layers of CDNs, reverse proxies like akamai, and load balancers

BANG TinyCP on a free vps

Thanked by 1surihost
  • @rm_ said:

oc1, oc2

i like your naming style, had exactly the same names for the older free tier boxes :D

one of my arm boxes does not want to get an ipv6. the dhclient just keeks timing out.. anyone has an idea why/how to fix?

• xaocxaoc Member

@Tripleflix said:

@rm_ said:

oc1, oc2

i like your naming style, had exactly the same names for the older free tier boxes :D

one of my arm boxes does not want to get an ipv6. the dhclient just keeks timing out.. anyone has an idea why/how to fix?

Check the Fault Domain of the one that does work and move the one that doesn't to that fault domain.

Is Ipv6 working for you?
    Both of my instances got an address, however can't reach anything

root@arm:~# ping google.de
    PING google.de(fra24s07-in-x03.1e100.net (2a00:1450:4001:82a::2003)) 56 data bytes
    ^C
    --- google.de ping statistics ---
    26 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 25605ms

edited June 2021

@v3ng said:
    Is Ipv6 working for you?
    Both of my instances got an address, however can't reach anything

root@arm:~# ping google.de
    PING google.de(fra24s07-in-x03.1e100.net (2a00:1450:4001:82a::2003)) 56 data bytes
    ^C
    --- google.de ping statistics ---
    26 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 25605ms

You happen to have 2 instances?
    If they can ping each other via IPv6, you have to ask the firewall to forward traffic, amen.

By default the firewall has no routing rule for IPv6 traffic to interwebs.