Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oracle Cloud Free Tier - Page 23
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Oracle Cloud Free Tier

Comments

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

For easier initial setup, you can reattach the "reserved" IPv4 to the instance currently being set up.

And remember they now support IPv6 as well.

• TripleflixTripleflix Member
    edited May 2021

Cheers @Neoon WG is a good enough option to get some ipv4 traffic going..

@rm_ im trying to get ipv6 working, do have an address but getting the stuff routed seems to not work out of the box at all :(

EDIT: Eught nvm, the fecking egress rules were only applying to ipv4, needed to add ipv6 as well..

edited May 2021

@djn said: Spam ESC as it's rebooting

@pwned said: Reboot and the serial console should show the grub menu. Select the installer and you're on your way!

It appears like the VNC console keyboard doesn't work during boot. Nevermind. Keyboard does not work at all in the VNC console.

Serial console works though, didn't remember this being an option. Looks like the installer is good to go, thanks!

• dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

@djn said:
    Set up a console connection "let me know if you want instuctions as its a pain"

Does one of those mentioned "pains" refer to not being able to enter any keystrokes via VNC?

Setting up the VNC console via the provided PowerShell snippet from OCP was quite straight forward. When connecting my VNC viewer (tried TightVNC and RealVNC) to localhost:5900, I can see the video screen, from boot to OS login, but I am unable to send any keystrokes. No matter whether during POST, GRUB or OS Login, nothing happens when typing anything. Did anybody else encounter such a strange situation?

@dfroe, yes just above your post. And VNC worked fine with their x86 instances.

In other news, apparently it's possible to overuse resources and get charged even on a free account:

Probably due to this:

OK, so we get 200GB of space in total, and I'm using 250-ish. But then why are the last two non-free, not just one. And unclear what they gonna do, since the account is "Free" and has no billing details on file.

• dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2021

Great, thanks for your hints. Looks like we were both trying the same at the same time. :)

I first tried the Serial Console on Windows via plink which basically worked but Escape didn't to interrupt POST.
    When using native SSH on a Linux machine everything worked perfectly fine.

Now we'll just need to figure out how to get Always Free Boot Volumes.
    In my account none of my boot volumes used for ARM has a Always Free tag despite all are created in my home region (Frankfurt).
    Does it have to be in a certain Availability Domain (=datacenter) in order to qualify for Always Free?

Edit: Indeed Availability Domain was the key for Always Free Boot Volumes. In my case Boot Volumes created in AD-3 are marked Always Free which now also applies for ARM instances created in AD-3.

edited May 2021

@dfroe I do not think it is AD-related. I terminated one of my "paid" ones, then tried to create a clone of an existing volume -- that failed, with an "out of quota" like message, fair enough, trying to get above 200GB again; terminated the 2nd paid one, now a clone succeeded, and got the Always Free tag. All of this is within AD-1:

The problem is, attaching that clone to an instance does not appear to be possible (only x86 instances are listed in the attach list, WTF???); creating new instances based on it fails with "Out of host capacity"; and the "free" boot volume I detached from another instance, fails to even reattach back to that one!! So I am pretty much out of the "ARM" game, until they add more capacity. At least it appears at this state the charges should be stopped.

• pwnedpwned Member

VNC input doesn't work for my ARM instances, but does for my x86 instances. Must be a bug.

I'm also seeing some small ($0.06/day) charges for block storage in my always free account! I'm under 200 GB, so not sure where that's coming from. One ARM boot volume has the always free tag, one does not. Both are in the same AD and same FD.

• What are the list of apps we can install on this armv8 ?

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

This will kill the micro LEBs :(
    End of an era, the final nail in the coffin (they were kind of dead long ago).

• varwwwvarwww Member

Anyone's card getting charged multiple times without authorization during free trial?

26/05/2021 Signup Verification about 79.09 INR ~1 USD returned immediately.
    30/05/2021 (Unauthorized) 78.80 INR ~1 USD returned immediately

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@varwww said:
    Anyone's card getting charged multiple times without authorization during free trial?

Preauth's?

Francisco

Thanked by 2varwww tux
  • @varwww said:

It's just card verification, international transactions don't need 3D secure/OTP authorization.

Thanked by 2varwww tux
  • aliletalilet Member

Anyone hosted WordPress blog on Always Free single VM of 4 Arm-based Ampere A1 cores and 24 GB RAM? How's the performance?
    Not sure if MySQL supported or not.

• varwwwvarwww Member

Okay. Don't know why they verified it a 2nd time. I don't usually add my card details anywhere. (Paypal/Internet Banking)

Kinda worried that they can debit money from my A/c anytime they want. If it happens again, I am going to close Oracle A/c.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited May 2021

@varwww said: Kinda worried that they can debit money from my A/c anytime they want.

That is the point of adding a card, so they can take the costs if you go over the limits albeit the narrative is that they verify your identity.
    It is one of the reasons I am wary about adding my card anywhere, however, lately i have got a card where i have set a very low limit so it is safe for netflix, for instance and that is about it.

Thanked by 1varwww

@Maounique said: That is the point of adding a card, so they can take the costs if you go over the limits albeit the narrative is that they verify your identity.

Here they don't save the card into the account though, so it is really just to verify identity. It's not listed in the Payment Method page, and I'm not sure if they save it behind the scenes, and e.g. will try charging me the aforementioned 0.43 Euro. Even for Oracle that seems unlikely.

• HakimHakim Member

@rm_ said: Here they don't save the card into the account though, so it is really just to verify identity. It's not listed in the Payment Method page, and I'm not sure if they save it behind the scenes, and e.g. will try charging me the aforementioned 0.43 Euro. Even for Oracle that seems unlikely.

Looks like they save the card. https://ibb.co/VJv3RJ3
    Don't know if it will be deleted after the trial period. You can view this information by visiting: Service User Console > My Admin Accounts > Account Management. You have to log in using, is it Oracle Identity Cloud Service? Can someone confirm if they keep or delete the data after the trial ends?

@varwww said: Kinda worried that they can debit money from my A/c anytime they want. If it happens again, I am going to close Oracle A/c.

Oracle won't charge you like AWS until you upgrade your account manually.

@varwww said: Anyone's card getting charged multiple times without authorization during free trial?

For me, it was two pre-auth transactions of 1.07$ at the same time.

Thanked by 1varwww
  • Their recently launched arm-based server is quite OP.(4core 24gb and each core beat my currently using desktop cpus.)
    I get my account using debit card but it was 2 years ago,and they did verification twice 6 months after registration.

• defaultdefault Veteran

@Maounique said:
    This will kill the micro LEBs :(
    End of an era, the final nail in the coffin (they were kind of dead long ago).

Yes, but I also think this won't last. Offering free services is a magnet for abuses. One day people will get an email about some terms regarding limitations or price increases, or even discontinuing the free services.

• varwwwvarwww Member
    edited May 2021

@Hakim said: Can someone confirm if they keep or delete the data after the trial ends?

I can see my card details too :( Irritating shit this is.

Thanked by 1Hakim
  • ipv6 does not seem to work on my ARM instance in Amsterdam (no trouble on my AMD one). I terminated it and recreated a new one without success...
    Otherwise it is a really nice VPS for free (and much faster than their free AMD instances) when you understand how the admin interface works (to open ports, ...)

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@yoshi_312 said:
    ipv6 does not seem to work on my ARM instance in Amsterdam (no trouble on my AMD one). I terminated it and recreated a new one without success...
    Otherwise it is a really nice VPS for free (and much faster than their free AMD instances) when you understand how the admin interface works (to open ports, ...)

It works, but its complicated.
    Don't destroy any instance, the zone may run out of stock if you are unlucky.

What dosen't work?

• v3ngv3ng Member, Patron Provider

Can anyone guide me how to install Debian or at least ubuntu on those arm instances?

• CoffeeCoffee Member

@v3ng Ubuntu 20.04 (non minimal) is supported.

And for Debian, I use https://github.com/bohanyang/debi

Thanked by 1v3ng
  • HakimHakim Member
    edited May 2021

Edit: Coffee commented while I was typing/copying.

@v3ng said: Can anyone guide me how to install Debian or at least ubuntu on those arm instances?

https://github.com/bohanyang/debi

In Short:

# wget -O debi.sh https://raw.githubusercontent.com/bohanyang/debi/master/debi.sh
    # chmod a+rx debi.sh

# sudo ./debi.sh --hostname HOST --user USER --password PASSWORD --sudo-with-password

# sudo shutdown -r now

This will install the latest Debian 10 Buster (minimal around 900MB)

Thanked by 1v3ng
  • v3ngv3ng Member, Patron Provider

Thanks!
    Didn't notice that ubuntu 20.04 non minimal works

edited May 2021

Did you try it on the ARM instances as well? I doubted it would work on those, so...

@v3ng said: Can anyone guide me how to install Debian or at least ubuntu on those arm instances?

...followed the netinstall method instead: https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3235788/#Comment_3235788
    The only significant point to take note is you must use "Serial" console, as keyboard does not work in the "VNC" console.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • CoffeeCoffee Member

@rm_ it worked for me on ARM.

Create new instance with Ubuntu 20 > run the script > reboot > wait about 5 minutes then it up with Debian installed.
    I'm not using serial console at all, just SSH.

Thanked by 3rm_ vimalware tux
  • DwayneDwayne Member

@rm_ said:

Did you try it on the ARM instances as well? I doubted it would work on those, so...

Worked for me as well.

Thanked by 1rm_