Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[MaxKVM] Network Updates with Christmas and New Year Offers (2020)! - Page 18
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[MaxKVM] Network Updates with Christmas and New Year Offers (2020)!

Comments

• @Ganonk said:

@MaxKVM said:

What should we release next?

Storage Servers? Storage Slabs? Dedicated vCPUs? New Location? :)

can you provide amazing kvm (RAM 512 MB) at SGP with awesome pricing (85% off) ? :wink:

Why stop at 85% discount? Ask the OP to pay you 85% for using each VM.

Thanked by 3FAT32 Ganonk bulbasaur
  • @K4Y5 said:

@Ganonk said:

@MaxKVM said:

What should we release next?

Storage Servers? Storage Slabs? Dedicated vCPUs? New Location? :)

can you provide amazing kvm (RAM 512 MB) at SGP with awesome pricing (85% off) ? :wink:

Why stop at 85% discount? Ask the OP to pay you 85% for using each VM.

i just request Sir..

• @smallbibi said:
    @FrankZ

@MaxKVM said: Hardware (RAM, NVMe) in Singapore and Los Angeles will be upgraded soon.

The drives are slowing down in some nodes with older NVMe (as you've seen with a couple of benchmarks in this thread) so they are scheduled to be replaced to improve performance and to prevent guest KVMs from running on degraded RAID arrays. There are no errors on these drives, this is all preventative, and the maintenance will be completed with no downtime for anyone. :)

• Looking forward to have SG general available

@MaxKVM said:

@smallbibi said:
    @FrankZ

@MaxKVM said: Hardware (RAM, NVMe) in Singapore and Los Angeles will be upgraded soon.

The drives are slowing down in some nodes with older NVMe (as you've seen with a couple of benchmarks in this thread) so they are scheduled to be replaced to improve performance and to prevent guest KVMs from running on degraded RAID arrays. There are no errors on these drives, this is all preventative, and the maintenance will be completed with no downtime for anyone. :)

Thanked by 1MaxKVM
  • swat4swat4 Member
    edited January 2021

@MaxKVM said:
    and the maintenance will be completed >with no downtime for anyone. :)

:p very good for those accumlating uptime by monitor tool

Thanked by 1MaxKVM
  • @MaxKVM do you allow VPS transfer

• @toumi111 said:
    @MaxKVM do you allow VPS transfer

Transfers are not permitted. :)

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@MaxKVM said:

@smallbibi said:

@SP7 said:

@yoursunny said:

@webmasteroffers said:
    1 vote for "Dedicated vCPUs"

I don't need dedicated vCPU, but I want a clear policy on what percentage of CPU usage would not result in a suspension, so that I can correctly throttle my apps to stay below the limit and not worry about the suspension hammer hanging over my head.

AFAIK 30% constant CPU usage is fine.

I would also like to ask about the cpu usage. They are adding RAM and NVMe as they fill servers, which means there will be less cpu to share among everyone.

Use common sense for now, if possible. You will be contacted if you are detected to be abusing resources and you will find out the exact CPU percentage limit at that time. :)

In other words, you wouldn't tell users how much CPU they are buying. Instead, you can arbitrarily define a potentially very low limit (e.g. 5%), and send warning to scare a user who paid annually. Combined with not permitting transfers, the user who received such warning is forced to either idle their VPS for the remainder of the year, or pay an expensive price for a dedicated core although they probably only needs 30% or 50% core. NOT FRAGRANT!

For reference, Virmach has a published guideline of 33% of allocated cores, in that they promise to not send warning if usage is below this amount, although the actual limit being enforced is higher. It's reasonable to conceal the enforced limit as it could change over time, but it's also necessary to publish a safe level so that users do not feel a suspension hammer hanging over their head.

• In fairness to @yoursunny, I agree wholly with his argument.

On the other hand, I have an account with another provider with (almost) the same policy; as long as my CPU usage doesn't endanger the overall health of the node, I'm fine to use as much CPU as my allocation permits (until I get a ticket :D).

• @MaxKVM said:

How do you replace SSD without any downtime? I'm interested in the technical. Do you replace some disk on the raid first then add more later after the first synced

Thanked by 1MaxKVM
  • @sibaper said:

@MaxKVM said:

How do you replace SSD without any downtime? I'm interested in the technical. Do you replace some disk on the raid first then add more later after the first synced

That would be an interesting process, but we just live migrate all KVMs to other host servers before the system is taken offline for maintenance. :relieved:

Thanked by 2sibaper bulbasaur
  • thanks for the explanation @MaxKVM

• @yoursunny said: It's reasonable to conceal the enforced limit as it could change over time, but it's also necessary to publish a safe level so that users do not feel a suspension hammer hanging over their head.

Although I agree with your sentiment, I have to admit the deals are still fragrant. I'm sure it's not a situation where they set a low arbitrary limit, but possibly a situation where they either don't want people to utilize the limit 24/7, or maybe they don't know what's a reasonable limit themselves. People would be mad if they gave out a number, and that number had to go down in the future because servers get filled up.

I could be wrong, but I imagine their LA and SG nodes are very packed compared to their other locations. So it's likely the cpu policy could differ between locations too. But admittedly, I am a bit concerned they are not getting more nodes but simply adding more RAM/NVMe... Wait it out a few months and we will know if the deals are fragrant. For now, it's looking good

• @MaxKVM said:

@smallbibi said:
    @FrankZ

Prem and fragrant..

Thanked by 1MaxKVM
  • Was going to pick up 2 more SKVM-4G-4CPU before 12 midnight PST time. Looks like the offer closed early. :(

• @lowending said:
    Was going to pick up 2 more SKVM-4G-4CPU before 12 midnight PST time. Looks like the offer closed early. :(

You still can purchase any package at 50% off, coupon: edu50

• @webmasteroffers said:

@lowending said:
    Was going to pick up 2 more SKVM-4G-4CPU before 12 midnight PST time. Looks like the offer closed early. :(

Only for .edu addresses? Anyway if not I plan to add-on my existing ones.

• @webmasteroffers said:

Can I use this coupon many times buying different VM, or each account is allowed to use "edu50" for only one time?

• @MaxKVM said:

How soon can I buy Singapore VM on your website?

• @bbplayer said:

@webmasteroffers said:

Can I use this coupon many times buying different VM, or each account is allowed to use "edu50" for only one time?

I don't know. test yourself

How soon can I buy Singapore VM on your website?

MaxKVM said, Singapore location will be available before 01-31-2021

edited January 2021

@smallbibi said:

@yoursunny said: It's reasonable to conceal the enforced limit as it could change over time, but it's also necessary to publish a safe level so that users do not feel a suspension hammer hanging over their head.

Although I agree with your sentiment, I have to admit the deals are still fragrant. I'm sure it's not a situation where they set a low arbitrary limit, but possibly a situation where they either don't want people to utilize the limit 24/7, or maybe they don't know what's a reasonable limit themselves. People would be mad if they gave out a number, and that number had to go down in the future because servers get filled up.

Virmach gave the number 33%. It means that you can safely utilize up to 33% without worrying about the suspension hammer.
    It does not mean you would be suspended as soon as you exceed 33% - that's the (hidden) enforcement limit, which would be higher than 33% but can change over time.
    It also does not mean that the server would have the capacity to allow everyone using 33% at all times - that's what allows the provider to oversell, because not everyone's workload is CPU-bound.

Importantly, Virmach promised not to suspend anyone if their usage does not exceed 33%.
    If enough users on a particular host node are utilizing CPU so that the host node has insufficient CPU power, but nobody is exceeding 33%, Virmach would increase the capacity by migrating some users to other host nodes.
    If someone is exceeding 33%, Virmach can suspend them.

Of course Virmach's CPU is much worse than MaxKVM's EPYC, and 33% of a Virmach core makes the safely usable CPU even slower.
    Nevertheless, when I'm using / developing experimental software that usually consumes 3% CPU but might have 100% CPU spikes when I'm not looking (e.g. a malformed packet triggers a bug causing an endless loop, which had happened in the past), I want to have the peace of mind that the software would not trigger the suspension hammer.
    By knowing a safe limit, even if it's lower than what I'm actually allowed to use (i.e. the enforcement limit), I can configure that limit into systemd or Docker, to guarantee that the software would never use more than the safe limit.

Thanked by 2ferri bulbasaur
  • @yoursunny Why don't submit a ticket and ask. I will do myself too now, I guess 30%

• You can certainly use 33% sustained without interruption. Nothing will stop you from using that little vCPU. :D There are services running at all times that stop the worst offenders, and for the most part the only thing that happens to them is temporary CPU throttling to the extent that the performance of each core is (at worst) comparable to an 8 year old Xeon core (for a short period of time). Generally speaking, if steal is above 0-1% then you may have been abusing CPU. Contact support for logs and details. If support contacts you first then you may have been running too many benchmarks. ;)

@MaxKVM said:

You can certainly use 33% sustained without interruption. Nothing will stop you from using that little vCPU. :D

Great. This answer would make MaxKVM fragrant again.

There are services running at all times that stop the worst offenders, and for the most part the only thing that happens to them is temporary CPU throttling to the extent that the performance of each core is (at worst) comparable to an 8 year old Xeon core (for a short period of time).

As long as it's not a suspension or a warning email that threatens a suspension, it's fine.
    I've been terrorized by Virmach hammer and thought every provider has the same hammer.

Generally speaking, if steal is above 0-1% then you may have been abusing CPU. Contact support for logs and details. If support contacts you first then you may have been running too many benchmarks. ;)

I don't run many benchmarks. I just wanna encode push-ups.
    ffmpeg is CPU-bound workload and could run for hours, but I can easily set 30% limit on the process. It would be faster than the crummy Oracle Cloud (nominally 1/8 vCPU, no suspension hammer but huge steal once exceeded).

• ffmpeg is a monster.

I once asked buyvm support how to precisely set cpulimit value on my box if I dont want to cross the line. The reply was they already had solution for this (eqipment upgrade or sth?) and I felt less worried when running ffmpeg (avideo encoder). Of course I only do with those short mp4s so it won't last long.

• @aRNoLD said:
    ffmpeg is a monster.

Yeah its monster, like Plex, transcoder is based on FFMPEG. Not recommended on shared resources like vps

• @yoursunny I would not believe in assurances from Virmach

@isunbejo said:

@aRNoLD said:
    ffmpeg is a monster.

Yeah its monster, like Plex, transcoder is based on FFMPEG. Not recommended on shared resources like vps

If I'm approved for 33%, I'll generally set CPU limit to 25%, leaving some CPU for SSH file transfer.

I'm out of push-up videos though. Chest too sore.
    I tested some other workloads in Docker, and it seems that the CPU limit is quite precise.

@brightsunshine said:
    @yoursunny I would not believe in assurances from Virmach

I'm gonna cancel one of the Virmach box next year.
    They allow 33% CPU but also have limits on I/O, load, etc that is difficult to enforce precisely.

• I know it's a bit off-topic, but does anyone have any experience with Windows on MaxKVM?

There are only three resolutions available: 800x600, 1024x768, 1280x1024, but I need more resolution options.

Does anyone have any solutions for this?

@lighter said:
    I know it's a bit off-topic, but does anyone have any experience with Windows on MaxKVM?

There are only three resolutions available: 800x600, 1024x768, 1280x1024, but I need more resolution options.

Does anyone have any solutions for this?

If you have desktop on Windows Server, you are doing it wrong.

• Normally, you should only install Windows Server Core, and configure the server via PowerShell or WMI.
    • The only exception is a server providing Terminal Services. In this case, it should be accessed via mstsc.exe ("Remote Desktop Connection") over RDP protocol. mstsc would resize the desktop to match client resolution.
    Thanked by 1lighter