Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Announcing the BuyVM hardware refresh to AMD Ryzen! - Page 12
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Announcing the BuyVM hardware refresh to AMD Ryzen!

167891012»

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Sven said:
    When will ipv6 working again completely?

Nothing much from HE yet. I'll likely just have to pull routes from elsewhere.

Francisco

• kkonekokkoneko Member
    edited June 2020

Ugh... can't resist the temptation. Just ordered ryzen slice and slabs on LV.

• ErikEnoctusErikEnoctus Member
    edited November 2020

What did you end up using for the Supermicro 815 front panel connector cable, and for the rear I/O plate?

Thanx...

edited November 2020

@ErikEnoctus said:
    What did you end up using for the Supermicro 815 front panel connector cable, and for the rear I/O plate?

Thanx...

Front: https://store.supermicro.com/supermicro-15cm-16-pin-front-control-panel-split-extension-cable-cbl-0084l.html

Back: Nothing at all!

Francisco

• SmartHostSmartHost Patron Provider, Veteran

Thanks.
    Yes, tried that cable, but seems to be a 20-pin connection in front of chassis, not a 16-pin, the 16-pin cable falls out, and the cable removed was a 20-pin to 20-pin as well. ;-(
    Same on multiple model 815 cases I checked out...

edited November 2020

@SmartHost said:
    Thanks.
    Yes, tried that cable, but seems to be a 20-pin connection in front of chassis, not a 16-pin, the 16-pin cable falls out, and the cable removed was a 20-pin to 20-pin as well. ;-(
    Same on multiple model 815 cases I checked out...

Silly Flanders.

What I linked attaches to the front panel cable that is attached to the front IO.

You'll then need to repin the 3 pin power LED (move the black pin in 1 spot).

Past that works fine. I've installed 100+ so far this year.

Francisco

I appreciate your help on this! ;-)

No prob on the PLED...that is simple enough.

However I don't see how the existing front panel cable attached to the 0084L splitter extension. One is 16-pin, and the other is 20-pin, and the one will not physically fit into the other. It's not a matter of only using 16 of the 20 pins, it physically will not fit together. You didn't have this problem?

Pic of the two connectors: https://imgur.com/a/N7ZgWBJ

@SmartHost said:
    I appreciate your help on this! ;-)

No prob on the PLED...that is simple enough.

However I don't see how the existing front panel cable attached to the 0084L splitter extension. One is 16-pin, and the other is 20-pin, and the one will not physically fit into the other. It's not a matter of only using 16 of the 20 pins, it physically will not fit together. You didn't have this problem?

Pic of the two connectors: https://imgur.com/a/N7ZgWBJ

I don't have any in hand this very second but if you're in the area i'll be at Fiberhub on Tuesday/Wednesday and you can grab one of mine and check my chassis'.

Maybe you got a really old 815, but the cable should be just fine. I ordered 40 some odd CBL-0084L's the other day and have used most of them without issue.

Francisco

Yep, that's the issue...older 815 chassis seem to have 20-pin connectors. :-(
    We were using an old chassis for testing purposes, which has a 20-pin panel cable, whereas specs on SM site say they changed it to 16-pin now.
    Never noticed it, as never used anything but the SM board in SM cases before...

edited November 2020

@SmartHost said:
    Yep, that's the issue...older 815 chassis seem to have 20-pin connectors. :-(
    We were using an old chassis for testing purposes, which has a 20-pin panel cable, whereas specs on SM site say they changed it to 16-pin now.
    Never noticed it, as never used anything but the SM board in SM cases before...

Man, does that thing even have a 24 pin power? Thing was made before the war.

Francisco