Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

★ VirMach ★ Black Friday & Cyber Week 2019 ★ RAID 10 SSD ★ KVM ★ Check inside for offers! - Page 129
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

★ VirMach ★ Black Friday & Cyber Week 2019 ★ RAID 10 SSD ★ KVM ★ Check inside for offers!

Comments

• fkjfkj Member
    edited December 2019

@uptime said:

fkj said: the one who caused this shitstorm

And who exactly might that be, pray tell? This shitstorm was ginned up by abusers looking to make as much noise as possible to distract from their shitty behavior.

The mod you've been trying to put on the spot here is the one person actually willing to work with Chinese members to facilitate better communication.

At this point, may I kindly ask if you would in fact consider it racist for me to point out that you are acting like an idiot?

So you really believe the mod's Chinese comment is purely a poor translation of the English comment? Have you Googled? Have you asked a linguist? If you do believe then really you are acting like the idiot.

I didn't say I agree with the other two. If they applied to be a mod in the future, I'll strongly against their application.

Thanked by 2uptime xddxdd
  • @fkr - thanks for that response, I would like to think it is a sincere representation of your own belief.

No I have not asked a linguist - I have however asked for more precise clarification from people familiar with (and possibly offended by) the Chinese vernacular used in the post.

And you are quite possibly correct to note that I am in fact acting like an idiot myself, to the extent that I may be fanning some flames here in the pursuit of lulz as well as the delusion of enlightenment. I confess - it's a fair cop, bro!

Thanked by 1exiust
  • PieHasBeenEatenPieHasBeenEaten Member, Host Rep

@fkj Are you is linguist? Ah I bet he might translated it wrong or said it wrong. Ah my bad we are humans and are all perfect. Please don't act you never did something if your life or made a mistake. So apply a little common sense to the so called conspiracy and there wouldn't be a conspiracy!

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

@fkj said:
    So you really believe the mod's Chinese comment is purely a poor translation of the English comment? Have you Googled? Have you asked a linguist? If you do believe then really you are acting like the idiot.

I agree that my first comment is not as accurate because I just type what comes to my mind. I already made a second comment after that to clarify on the exact translation, yet you guys are still struggling with my first translation.

And yes, I referred to the dictionary and I don't see mine as offensive as what you guys said. Maybe it is also another cultural differences between different province in China.

Can I summon @poisson to help to give your feedbacks regarding my usage of wordings in this comment? https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3070349/#Comment_3070349

Thanked by 1poisson

@PieHasBeenEaten said:
    fkj Are you is linguist? Ah I bet he might translated it wrong or said it wrong. Ah my bad we are humans and are all perfect. Please don't act you never did something if your life or made a mistake. So apply a little common sense to the so called conspiracy and there wouldn't be a conspiracy!

I mean, it is my fault too. But I never meant to cause a war. My vocabulary or language might be off, but at the end what I want to explain is just try not to make a fool of yourself in English, that's all.

• PieHasBeenEatenPieHasBeenEaten Member, Host Rep

@FAT32 I totally understand that! My problem they are looking at situation with a half full glass. Really the lack of common sense being applied to what the haters are saying just proves really they are on that time of the month and need a super strong maxi pad. Keep you head up man! You apologized but some people will always be nay sayers.

• uptime said: While I tend to see the Hostloc reponses mainly as manufactured outrage, I would like to better understand the exact nature of the "aggressive language" ...

I'm relatively unfamiliar with slangs in English so I am unable to give a perfectly accurate translation word to word, but to me FAT32's comment most precisely sounds like "f**k off".

VirMach said: so its probably best for those who are upset to come forward and make realistic suggestions

Is it possible that you can use the real ID vertification service of Alipay for Chinese customers?

Advantages:

1. It's automatic, so it may reduce the workload of your staff verifying IDs for new purchases and transfers.

2. It's more acceptable privacy-wise. You receive a unique user ID (not directly related to real world ID) for each individual. Can solve multi account issue. Also, in Alipay's database each individual is identified by his/her national ID, so you may disregard addresses/phones people enter, and let them feel a bit safer.

Disadvantages:

1. Although there is a readily available WHMCS module, you need to purchase (and very likely request a customization of) it, or code your own.

2. The documentation for the service is solely in Chinese.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • I believe only the minority is complaining who are actually benefiting from this system of reselling services and opening false disputes in Paypal.
    Real users from China dont have any problem. Notice how they have all ganged up here.

Thanked by 1exiust
  • uptimeuptime Member
    edited December 2019

xddxdd said: to me FAT32's comment most precisely sounds like "f**k off"

fair enough - I appreciate that insight!

I'd like to also inspect the other side of the coin, the language that caused @wfjoyce to get the boot.

Am I missing some wrinkle when I suggest that they might as well as have called @FAT32 a bitch?

Or is there perhaps some other plausible context for the term as it was used in that fateful comment?

• xddxddxddxdd Member
    edited December 2019

uptime said: Am I out of line to suggest that they called @FAT32 a bitch?

I confirm that wfjoyce called FAT32 a bitch, in response to FAT32's inappropriate comment.

EDIT: In addition, to me the aggressive level of FAT32's comment and wfjoyce's comment is about the same.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • uptimeuptime Member
    edited December 2019

@xddxdd - just noticed that @wfjoyce is no longer banned, and @FAT32 has now made what I see as a sincere and unconditional apology (in another thread).

I do hope that ultimately may be taken as a respectable example for us to appreciate - for whatever it's worth - going forward.

• lowendclientlowendclient Member
    edited December 2019

@VirMach said:
    Does this happen in every case or only if you get marked as potentially being a bot?

Everywhere, it includes API from Google, that may causes problem.
    And Stripe's Chinese translation is incomplete, may hard use to some people.

@randomq said:
    Do you guys have chip cards? We just got them everywhere the past few years, but of course the card can still be used online without it...

Yes, nearly all our VISA Credit Cards based on chip, can use in physical and online.

@FAT32 said:
    Again, I am sorry if my wordings made you guys angry.

To be fair, what you said is not that serious. They just unsatisfied you ban someone's account because he called you 'Dog'. Based on Loc's common agreement, it doesn't reach the threshold of being suspended, curse back is better than suspend. However this is LET, your rules are strict, that make sense.
    FAT32's Chinese statement in our understanding is more likely to be:
    [别再丢人现眼了,爱用就用,没人逼你用]
    Don't make a fool of yourself, use it or not, no one force you.
    [真香定律知道吗]
    Do you know the 'theory of begger' ? (A boy in a TV show said he'll never eat a meal, when starving, he beg for it and said 'Such Delicious' when eating. He's been taunted among the whole Chinese internet because of spineless.)
    [有种你就不买不看不吵啊]
    If you are a man, don't buy it, don't see it, don't wrangling.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • fkjfkj Member
    edited December 2019

PieHasBeenEaten said: @fkj Are you is linguist?

Yes, I have a degree in translation and I'll add content and context of the original Chinese post that is missing or wrong in @FAT32's clarification translation.

@uptime @PieHasBeenEaten my translation could be not precise with what @FAT32 was TRYING TO SAY, but what he SAID. so I hope you understand the gravity of understanding the underlying culture.

FAT32 said:

No one force you to use their services. Find me one, just one provider that has been in business longer than VirMach, has better uptime than VirMach, yet provide cheaper services than their crazy BF deal (less than $5/yr with similar specs). Look at how all the shitty summer hosts that deadpooled.

别再丢人现眼了,爱用就用,没人逼你用。真香定律知道吗?嘴上说不要但心里却很诚实,还不是因为便宜购买了,有种你就不买不看不吵啊。找给我一家比 VirMach 更长久更稳定且更便宜的公司再和我说吧。没有几家公司可以提供5刀年付的小鸡。记得以前的四大金刚吗?到最后不是只剩 VirMach?

FAT32 said:
    I apologise for the inexact translation. This is not intentional but just what comes to my mind. The exact translation is as follow:

Please don't make a fool of yourself. No one force you to use their services, you can use it if you wish. Despite you don't like VirMach, you still buy it because it is cheap. If you have the guts then don't buy or complain at all. Find me a provider that has been in business longer than VirMach, has better uptime than VirMach, yet provide cheaper services than their crazy BF deal (less than $5/yr with similar specs). Do you still remember the "4 cheap providers" (aka AlphaRacks etc)? In the end it is only left with VirMach.

Don't make a fool of yourself AGAIN AND AGAIN. 别再丢人现眼了 (in which 再 (again) is missing, please also note 丢人现眼 is a very strong negative word in Chinese which this translation cannot fully interpret the meaning of it, and honestly I don't even know how to translate it to English)

No one force you to use their services, AND NOBODY FKING CARE if you use it or not. 爱用就用,没人逼你用 (爱X就X or 爱X不X, i.e. 爱用就用 here, is also a strong negative phrase, hence "nobody fking care" is added here for better expressing the meaning; "you can use it if you wish" should be translated back to 想用就用, which is a neutral expression)

Do you know that prejudgment cooks up your words? 真香定律知道吗? (This sentence is not translated in the clarification)

You say you won't buy it but what you did followed your heart, you still buy it because it is cheap. 嘴上说不要但心里却很诚实 ("despite you don't like VirMach" totally doesn't align with the meaning of original Chinese sentence, which is trying to say a person talk the talk, walk the walk, in Chinese culture, this is to imply that person is not a gentleman / Junzi)

If you have the PENIS then don't buy or complain at all. 有种你就不买不看不吵啊 (种 is also very negative and directly refers to the male reproductive organ; guts used in the clarification is the transaction of 胆, not 种)

The remaining part is basically accurately translated in the clarification.

• @fkj - thank you, that is a generous amount of explanation - very interesting and much appreciated!

• FAT32's comment sounds like "Get out of here you fucking lowend Chinese customers" for me.

Thanked by 1exiust
  • @Creling said:

@FAT32 said:
    @wfjoyce @supereric Don't get me started.

No one force you to use their services. Find me one, just one provider that has been in business longer than VirMach, has better uptime than VirMach, yet provide cheaper services than their crazy BF deal (less than $5/yr with similar specs). Look at how all the shitty summer hosts that deadpooled.

别再丢人现眼了,爱用就用,没人逼你用。真香定律知道吗?嘴上说不要但心里却很诚实,还不是因为便宜购买了,有种你就不买不看不吵啊。找给我一家比 VirMach 更长久更稳定且更便宜的公司再和我说吧。没有几家公司可以提供5刀年付的小鸡。记得以前的四大金刚吗?到最后不是只剩 VirMach?

The English text of this passage is not identical with Chinese text , and the Chinese text contains abusive words. @FAT32 's Chinese is fluent, so I have reason to believe that this is intentional. This is an inappropriate behavior for a moderator and will intensify contradictions. I am waiting for an explanation.

Abusive words in Chinese? Your skin must be thinner than paper. The only vaguely "abusive" phrase literally translated is "if you have the balls then don't buy and don't make noise," which if added to @FAT32's original translation doesn't make it any iota more offensive than the original.

There are really lots of cultural difference here, it really depends on how you interpret it. Why must you guys exaggerate the fact?

@fkj said:
    Don't make a fool of yourself AGAIN AND AGAIN. 别再丢人现眼了 (in which 再 (again) is missing, please also note 丢人现眼 is a very strong negative word in Chinese which this translation cannot fully interpret the meaning of it, and honestly I don't even know how to translate it to English)

Well I am only aware of that after @cece pointed out the exact meaning.

No one force you to use their services, AND NOBODY FKING CARE if you use it or not. 爱用就用,没人逼你用 (爱X就X or 爱X不X, i.e. 爱用就用 here, is also a strong negative phrase, hence "nobody fking care" is added here for better expressing the meaning; "you can use it if you wish" should be translated back to 想用就用, which is a neutral expression)

That's basically the problem for text, it really depends on the mood of people who is reading it.

Do you know that prejudgment cooks up your words? 真香定律知道吗? (This sentence is not translated in the clarification)

This is hard to be translated because it points to a internet slang.

You say you won't buy it but what you did followed your heart, you still buy it because it is cheap. 嘴上说不要但心里却很诚实 ("despite you don't like VirMach" totally doesn't align with the meaning of original Chinese sentence, which is trying to say a person talk the talk, walk the walk, in Chinese culture, this is to imply that person is not a gentleman / Junzi)

This is right, but the overall meaning is the same.

If you have the PENIS then don't buy or complain at all. 有种你就不买不看不吵啊 (种 is also very negative and directly refers to the male reproductive organ; guts used in the clarification is the transaction of 胆, not 种)

https://www.zdic.net/hans/种, there's no where it says penis. Yet "guts" is being mentioned in 5th explanation, with the exact same usage.

I shouldn't be replying to anything but I just feel responsible to do so. I can just walk away without speaking a word but I choose not to.

Seriously, I am really tired.

Thanked by 1exiust
  • I missed out on the entire exchange. The PRC folks on LET like to talk about not offending them culturally but have no qualms about offending others culturally with "I pay you so you better kiss my ass" attitude.

If not for double standards, these people have none.

Finally, if your PRC dollars are so powerful, maybe you should use them to pay for the GFW to be abolished.

Thanked by 1exiust
  • FAT32 said: Well I am only aware of that after @cece pointed out the exact meaning.

Yes, cece explained it well.

FAT32 said: That's basically the problem for text, it really depends on the mood of people who is reading it.

The mood of the reader is determined by the mood of the language, otherwise what makes language language.

FAT32 said: This is right, but the overall meaning is the same.

No, it's not, the culture is missed in your translation.

FAT32 said: https://www.zdic.net/hans/种, there's no where it says penis. Yet "guts" is being mentioned in 5th explanation, with the exact same usage.

Dictionary is updated decades after the meaning of the word changed in oral usage. The meaning of 种 has changed in spoken language and is now more of a dirty word (you may ask many Chinese friends of they believe that). You will see the dictionary be updated in likely 2030s.

Thanked by 1FAT32
  • FAT32 said: There are really lots of cultural difference here, it really depends on how you interpret it. Why must you guys exaggerate the fact?

Based on the fluency of your Chinese expression, many people think you are a native Chinese, and are not aware that the cultural difference is in place.

FAT32 said: https://www.zdic.net/hans/种, there's no where it says penis. Yet "guts" is being mentioned in 5th explanation, with the exact same usage.

You're not likely to find exact meanings and attitudes of slangs in Oxford dictionary either. You should be looking for something similar to Urban Dictionary, although I don't think there is a Chinese alternative...

Anyway, to me the golden rule is: when expressing in your non-native language, try to be neutral.

Thanked by 1FAT32
  • @FAT32 said:

@fkj said:

I agree that my first comment is not as accurate because I just type what comes to my mind. I already made a second comment after that to clarify on the exact translation, yet you guys are still struggling with my first translation.

And yes, I referred to the dictionary and I don't see mine as offensive as what you guys said. Maybe it is also another cultural differences between different province in China.

Can I summon @poisson to help to give your feedbacks regarding my usage of wordings in this comment? https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3070349/#Comment_3070349

Perfectly fine in my books. 鸡蛋里挑骨头

Thanked by 2FAT32 exiust
  • fkj said: The meaning of 种 has changed in spoken language and is now more of a dirty word

Really?
    Which party of China thinks that is a dirty word?

• @greattomeetyou said:

fkj said: The meaning of 种 has changed in spoken language and is now more of a dirty word

Really?
    Which party of China thinks that is a dirty word?

When you say 有种你就XX, do you say it in respect or disrespect of the recipient?

• You can not press the missile launch button to start a war and then say again and again "I am tired", like you are innocent.

edited December 2019

@FAT32

'有种' may translate as 'have penis', but not so emphasized in daily usage. Just like 'Fuck off', no one really care the word 'Fuck', but it entire meaning. However, '有种' have the purpose of provocation, expect others to fight back. It can be used like '有种就来打一架' (If you dare we can fight)

Basiclly contradiction comes from culture. I don't know my understanding to your culture is correct? Like this: 'You foreigner buy VPS located in US from a US provider, you should obey our rules, respect our culture without doubt.' I personally agree it's reasonable.

But in China customer is the undoubtedly god, businessman should try their best to cater to the consumers' need. For Virmach, he formulate a rule and want consumers to follow, that causes dissatisfaction.

And for the rule of PayPal, Chinese consumers just expect Virmach do ALL THE SAME to ALL countries. I know there are much disputes come from China, but in our culture, we believe if one can gain money back from dispute, it's their own ability. I believe Virmach could have 4 options which make Chinese consumers satisfied:
    1. Providing PayPal to all, no differential treatment. For disputes, bear it.
    2. Providing PayPal to all, argue with PayPal, win the dispute. (But waste time)
    3. If can not afford, just cancel PayPal to all, make it absolutely fair.
    4. Ban Chinese consumers, we criticize Virmach like Cultural Revolution, who buy Virmach will be treat like a traitor in Chinese community. (While meet disagrees, we accustomed to gather who hold similar opinions together, form a natural organization, fight against who disagree with us, and strangle their idea. That's our culture)

From these days interact, I think Virmach is a respectable provider with good manner and patience. Just the custom difference between different countries is really large, causes some of us think their new policy is offensive. The result of the quarrel may not be good, it is really hard cater to both satisfiction by making efforts. If Virmach being boycotted in Chinese community, my hosting business may gain a better income (Yes I do hosting biz as well :lol:), but I still wish to keep the diversity in hosting market rather than oppositions. Regardless of what, it is really a good thing the contradictions can be put on the table and being discussed.

edited December 2019

@Remon said:
    You can not press the missile launch button to start a war and then say again and again "I am tired", like you are innocent.

What more do you want me to explain? Why can't people just move on?

Thanked by 1exiust
  • fkj said: When you say 有种你就XX, do you say it in respect or disrespect of the recipient?

That depends on how thin-skinned you are.
    Butt-hurt, now?

Thanked by 1poisson
  • 拜托,chargeback 的时候那么有种,被人吐槽后就没种接受?我先声明,听者有意。

Translation: oh please, when chargeback there are lots of balls, but when called out suddenly there are no balls to accept? Disclaimer: only those who want to feel offended will be offended.

Thanked by 1exiust
  • @Remon said:
    You can not press the missile launch button to start a war and then say again and again "I am tired", like you are innocent.

不好意思,我们这里是讲理,不是讲礼。

Sorry mate, we talk reason here, not courtesy.

edited December 2019

@FAT32 said: Seriously, I am really tired.

Don't treat views on the internet so seriously :lol:
    To be honest, I view LET, see your quarrels, sometimes make comments...
    It's really a great fun! And my English level increases rapidly since I join LET.
    I even got a Master of Arts degree in Cross-Cultural communication recently. :lol:
    (Seriously, many thanks to you guys)

Thanked by 2FAT32 poisson