Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

€2.99/month dedicated - what's going to happen in the industry? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

€2.99/month dedicated - what's going to happen in the industry?

Comments

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited July 2013

Many users (not savvy/professional ones) rely on their VPS provider to have a backup and help them restore their service. With OVH and the KS line, they will get to your failed dedi when they can, replace what is broken and then the rest is up to you. No backup, no worries, just reinstall that vanilla OS.

Then make your own damn backups? LEB providers sometimes go down for good altogether with their nodes and website, can't really see that happening with OVH. So one could say reliability here is on OVH's side. And you should really make your own damn backups anyway (this is a backup of the previous sentence. :)

There are also a lot of people that rail against the OVH doctored kernels that are in the default linux installs.

...that you can replace with your own in like 2 minutes. A lot of incompetent people "rail" about things they don't understand, no big surprise here.

• talsittalsit Member

@rm_ 100% agree, but those people will stay with VPS providers rather than move to a very cheap dedicated server. Probably less for the backups than the kernel, the backups they wouldn't even think about.

• @Nick_A said:
    but the polls seem to suggest that a quality product is the real winner. I would have been much more concerned a year and a half ago, but experience and several fun chats with Francisco over the last twelve months have changed my perspective.

Yes, I said in a few threads in the past, MOST people don't want or need the biggest RAM for their £'s. What MOST people want is reliability. I gave the example that here is the UK, even though most people can get 100meg internet, 70% of customers of VirginMedia UK were on 2meg, imagine that 70% wanted 2meg including myself. Why? Because it was competitively priced and it was reliable cable broadband. I actually downgraded from 10meg to 2meg, saved some cash and kept their reliable BB. Similarly like you say, people will pay a bit (but not a lot) extra for something that's better quality.

Even though Ramnode is highly rated, it was the only one to go down with the Solus exploit, which Solus had sent out a email about. You did well to recover and probably had to work your nuts off, but it was surprising that neither you or Tyler saw the email and acted on it. What would happen to our data and VPSs if you got hit by a bus? How would your high rating in the providers poll help in that situation? I think I would put my data with OVH and Amazon EC2 anyday over a LEB, no matter the rating.

• @Rallias said:
    You not liking it doesn't make it illegal.

Predatory pricing is generally illegal, unless they are not operating at a loss.

• asterisk14asterisk14 Member
    edited July 2013

@DalComp said:
    Predatory pricing is generally illegal, unless they are not operating at a loss.

Rubbish, supermarkets have loss leaders all the time. Never heard of a local greengrocer or butcher taking them to court! It's called capiltalism, a corrupt system, where the rich get richer, the poor get sqeezed and get poorer and if it takes murdering and starving to death 1-2 million Iraqi's for some profit, it's worth it [Madeline Albright US Secretary of State].

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@asterisk14 - There are many details about that fiasco which you don't know and which I'm not going to bring up here because the relevance is thin (not to mention I probably have some ulcers from the stress it caused). We already hired another support tech, and me getting hit by a bus would not make your VPS data evaporate into thin air. Your preference for hosting in a different environment is of course fine, but the numbers support my previous assertion that this pricing scheme at OVH is not going to ruin the market. That's my only point. Will they divert some potential business? Of course. But that's far from shutting everyone else down.

• @asterisk14 said:
    Rubbish, supermarkets have loss leaders all the time. Never heard of a local greengrocer or butcher taking them to court! It's called capiltalism, a corrupt system, where the rich get richer, the poor get sqeezed and get poorer and if it takes murdering and starving a 1-2 million Iraqi's for some profit, it's worth it [Madeline Albright US Secretary of State].

Blame the corrupt executors then.

• You would think with all the marketing we see around here that what people most appreciate would be gobs of RAM for pennies on the dollar, but the polls seem to suggest that a quality product is the real winner.

I'm running a business so reliability is more important to me then "most RAM for the buck".

In terms of reliability I would probably give OVH's dedicated servers an A (their VPS's reliability however sucks) because my dedicated servers there typically have 100's of days of uptime and any reboots are due to kernel upgrades. I have 5 dedicated servers at OVH (all purchased before this week's price cutting) and I've only had to open 1 support ticket in the past year (and it wasn't even server related: it was about a .pl domain registration that got stuck in processing :when the Polish registry crashed while I was registering the name)

On the other hand I have 5 problematic LEB "Big RAM" VPS's, 1 in Austria and 4 from a company in Buffalo, that I'd give reliability ratings of C to F. At least one or more nodes crashes/reboots per week in Austria, and frequent networking issues from the Buffalo ones (along with crashes and downtime when nodes were wiped by hackers...18 tickets opened in the past 9 months for the Buffalo ones). These 5 will probably be migrating to OVH when its renewal time.

I don't think the more reliable LEB providers who provide a quality product will be hurt by OVH's price cuts but I do think some of the less reliable 2/3/4/GB (soon to be TB) for $7 bucks crowd could be hurt. The ones who will be hurt are the providers who provide a mediocre product: i.e. bad/incompetent customer service or who have frequent outages and a million excuses (or use blanket excuses like "DDoS" , "murphy" to cover up their ineptness).

edit:

Even though Ramnode is highly rated, it was the only one to go down with the Solus exploit,

ChicagoVPS and Host1Free were also hit by the exploit and suffered more damage and downtime than RamNode from the Solus exploit. Host1Free suffered a total data loss....everything on every node wiped.

• @DomainBop said:
    ChicagoVPS and Host1Free were also hit by the exploit and suffered more damage and downtime than RamNode from the Solus exploit. Host1Free suffered a total data loss....everything on every node wiped.

Host1Free is a best effort FREE service, you can't compare the them to other LEB which charge good $/month. If I lost ALL my data on H1F I would not be complaining. If you value your data then pay a reliable host, or use AWS EC2 (free tier). Chicago were hit by a totally different exploit. Others would have suffered even worse if they had not taken their Solus panels down for 3-4 weeks! There are probably still some hosts who have not put their solus panels up? Their recovery time was due to having a large number of VPS and probably a small support staff. My comment was that only Ramnode bit the bullet with THAT particular exploit, even after the solus notification, whilst other even one man shows managed to handle it. But like Nick said there may have been other factors that we don't know about that contributed to it, so let's leave it.

• @DomainBop said:
    but I do think some of the less reliable 2/3/4/GB (soon to be TB) for INR 413.77 ($7) bucks crowd could be hurt. The ones who will be hurt are the providers who provide a mediocre product: i.e. bad/incompetent customer service or who have frequent outages and a million excuses (or use blanket excuses like "DDoS" , "murphy" to cover up their ineptness).

I wouldnt be too sure of that. I believe the only limiting factor here is the variation in technical knowldge of the LEB customer crowd. Buying and using a VPS is easier than (apparently) maintaining a dedicated. But when there is a huge transition from LEBs to Dedicated LEBs (DLB), and tutorials start popping up regarding it, there's bound to be a flux in people moving to DLBs.

It remains to be seen whether OVH continues to offer this product. If it doesnt, everything is bound to continue as before. Some of us get DLBs, and continue to lurk around LET looking for better offers. If anything, it might lead to better competition in offering good products.

I'm all set to move away from my existing 6 month paid VPS. For one, they suck at support, and when they removed their Solus panel for a long time, I realized there was no reason to stay with them any longer if I could manage a Dedicated myself. I'm going to continue paying for the $8-12 per year LEBs I use for nameservers, simply because OVH does not offer additional IPs. The providers who are going to take a hit are those offering $7 plans. It's going to be exceptionally tough to compete with the Dedicated plans if they're going to remain in market for a long time.

edited July 2013

Buying and using a VPS is easier than (apparently) maintaining a dedicated.

It's not any different from a KVM VPS, really.

However where LEB VPS providers could undercut OVH, is in providing better support with "basic management" included for free, and expanding the scope of what that management entails. Because as we know, OVH will completely ignore you (and I will fully agree they are right to do so), if you ticket them "how do I set up Apache" or ask them to do it for you even for a fee.

• @rm_ said:
    However where LEB VPS providers could undercut OVH, is in providing better support with "basic management" included for free, and expanding the scope of what that management entails. Because as we know, OVH will completely ignore you (and I will fully agree they are right to do so), if you ticket them "how do I set up Apache" or ask them to do it for you even for a fee.

Those were my thoughts as well. However I dont know how much that's practical for a busy host. I know hosts around here who have <=1 Tech support people.

• asolarasolar Member

Only have 1 IP6? Is that a typo or limited for low priice? Used to be /64

• GunterGunter Member

@asolar said:
    Only have 1 IP6? Is that a typo or limited for low priice? Used to be /64

I know, it's ridiculous.

• anyone can tell me how to rent it ?

because i cannot pay to kimsufi

• tuxtux Member

@blackeye said:
    anyone can tell me how to rent it ?

because i cannot pay to kimsufi

Use PayPal

• @tux said:
    Use PayPal

failed :( . My friend says this is only for resellers. but I do not know too

• @blackeye said:
    failed :( . My friend says this is only for resellers. but I do not know too

No offense but how old are you?

• @taronyu said:
    No offense but how old are you?

18 years old . sorry for my bad english :D

• @blackeye said:
    18 years old . sorry for my bad english :D

No problems, just wanted to know for sure that you are old enough to consider buying a server and not some 6 year old ;)

You can create a paypal account just fine, I got one too. You don't need to be reseller or something. You create a account, put money on it and you can pay. (What country are you in?)

• @taronyu said:
    You can create a paypal account just fine, I got one too. You don't need to be reseller or something. You create a account, put money on it and you can pay. (What country are you in?)

I know . I usually buy a vps from LET also use paypal.

I am Indonesian :)

• @blackeye, Already replied to your query in the other thread where you asked the same question.

• @joelgm said:
    blackeye, Already replied to your query in the other thread where you asked the same question.

sorry for double post :(

I just want to make sure only

• shooooot! i used credit card.. how many days it will take to processed that?

• @rm_ said:

We've always provided basic support, sometimes more than this. It's only extensive tasks for prolonged periods that we act. I think it's the best way to go. Support is still important. This is a problem though.

• Still not had mine setup, ordered at 6PM last night.

• @blackeye said:
    I am Indonesian :)

I am Indonesian and I paid with PayPal just fine.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

As I said, I am 100% sure they are running at a loss (this offer), and while in some conditions that will be OK, some sort of promo or prize, doing it to eliminate competition is illegal.

But this is besides the point, perhaps only availability in the future will be relevant for this topic. As you probably know we are out of stock for a couple of months already on many items, especially best selling OVZ (except OVerZold where turnover is high because many people bought it just to test and they are doing the same with KS now, however we are down to the last IPs there too). 4 GB with 4 E5 cores>2 atom cores and 2 GB even dedicated, because it is also the kernel and whatnot. Sure, our price is also double, but we offer GB port and few people need more than 2 TB traffic. The only thing where kS wins hands down is the storage. While we have fast SAS/SAN storage with redundancy, even state of the art one, they have 1 disk, but huge compared to ours, so, if you need a back-up box, KS is perfect as long as you have 2 or another location also, due to the lack of redundancy.

Their i5 dedi, though, is a completely different thing. 16 GB ram and 2 disks make it suitable for some serious application. Also the upcoming DDoS protection will blow every other DDoS protected providers out of the water.

Are we worried ? Of course not. And this is not only because OVH treats their customers like dirt, refuse service or throws them out for any real or imagined reasons, there is no support at all, etc, but because, even if they can really afford to throw buckets of money off the window and this model is sustainable, their service will not be coming close to good hosts here.

Do we need customers that wish to save pennies and look to squeeze 10% of their 5 $ bill ? Surely not. We need serious people with serious business looking for serious partners. This VPS thing is a side show for us, we make some money or at least break even here, but it is in no way shape or form the main business and will never be.

We put a lot of effort into the cloud development and we can already offer IaaS on OS virtualization and orchestrator, this is planned to replace our VMWare and rhev clusters as well as the higher end KVM and XEN enterprise offerings.

Both me and Uncle saw this coming since last year and we stopped investments here even tho there is still a lot of demand even without any promo. We are sold out on OVZ since 2 months, one month on KVM and Xen Biz is also almost done. Can sell at least twice what we have now without any promo, so, no, we are far from worried, I am just voicing my concern seeing the small providers being forced out of the market through fake blacklisting, police raids, software bugs and hacks, DDoSes (in UK), propaganda (for anything serious you need to pay top dollar and be always open for warrantless searches and surveillance, exactly like at the start of Linux adventure when people were fired for installing it as it was supposed to be a hacker tool), and I cant stay silent and think this is all a coincidence.

Sure, there are tons of clueless ppl in this market and i agree the price competition went too far, but this is no reason to think concentrating all power in the hands of a few big providers is a good thing. The fact I am collaborating with Prometeus has nothing to do with it, even if I was afraid for the company, I am not afraid for the job, I am having other revenues and a lot of money invested in real estate and deposits, I can live modestly tens of years off it. I am only worried for the direction where the world is going, the local grocers have been squeezed out, small farmers pushed to bankruptcy, now we have tons of unhealthy and appealing food, we are all more overweight than 20 years ago, long live the victory of the supermarket against the local grocer which was selling 10 pennies higher ! Still, on my street there are at least 2 and a few small stores that sell processed food too besides locally produced vegetables and fruits. In 15 years a few died by the hands of carrefour, however carrefour itself is for sale now and other grocers appeared in the place of those that were eliminated.

The same will happen for hosting too. Want quality ? You will go with a small host, family business, as long as they are legal will exist, as well as their customers.

Want to be treated like dirt, ignored and kicked at any imaginary reason ? Go with a big corporation, the spying comes as a bonus and you will be able to save a hamburger per month too !

Thanked by 1serverian

they are running at a loss

doing it to eliminate competition is illegal.

OVH treats their customers like dirt, refuse service or throws them out for any real or imagined reasons, there is no support

Want to be treated like dirt, ignored and kicked at any imaginary reason ? Go with a big corporation, the spying comes as a bonus

Stop being so butthurt already, and trash-talking a competitor like that is not professional.

• @Maounique upgrade, eh? Hrmph..likes my OVZ.