Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

€2.99/month dedicated - what's going to happen in the industry? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

€2.99/month dedicated - what's going to happen in the industry?

Comments

• @asterisk14 do you mean the quarterly votes?

@DennisdeWit €3/month is still less than $7, and anyway, I don't see the problem.

@Maounique a lot of people got /64s by now - I guess the 1 IPv6 is a mistake, also, yeah, probably huge LEB providers won't be affected that much - they still will decrease their market.

Everybody will question if a VPS is really worth it with a €3/month dedicated.

• LukeTLukeT Member

OVH really need to check their sites before they update them. They're full of random typos throughout the whole site

• @chauffer wait and see... they're now swamped with orders.. they might increase the price back to where it was next week. They simply can't have the stock for continuous price, and I think they make a loss at just the energy+bw+ip+hw costs.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@LukeT said:
    OVH really need to check their sites before they update them. They're full of random typos throughout the whole site

Still much better than a few years ago when everything was in french :)

I cant complain, my French is way better than English as I studied it in school/university, but still, this is not valid all over the world.

• talsittalsit Member

Well, LEB market might take a hit. People looking for LEB are value seeking so they will know about OVH and these prices. In general, I wouldn't expect much change in the non-LEB market.

Beyond the KS's, the mini-SP (E3-1245v2, 32GB, 2x1TB) at 39.99 euros will cause some people to rethink their VPS use. For personal use, this is a very good deal and for me, the price is almost what I pay for all my VPSs.

Another strike against the average VPS user jumping on the OVH bandwagon is that many people do not want to be bothered with the technical management of their own server. Get a VPS, break it and you have some outstanding service available from some outstanding providers.

@talsit said:
    Another strike against the average VPS user jumping on the OVH bandwagon is that many people do not want to be bothered with the technical management of their own server. Get a VPS, break it and you have some outstanding service available from some outstanding providers.

Yes, OVH provides no support whatsoever except hardware failures (I suppose they will reply tickets too when network outage is in progress, for example), but since you can reinstall OS all the time, this should not be much of a problem for most people. The real "have no clue" ones, are usually chased away by the LEB providers as well.

• LukeTLukeT Member

@Maounique said: Still much better than a few years ago when everything was in french :)

It's not so much translation issues, its more of things like "1 1 IPv4 & 1 IPv6 1 IPv6" (VPS Page). I suppose you cant complain at their prices and the fact they have a fair few websites to manage

• @Maonique - @talsit non-LEB market will barely be affected I guess, those are dirt cheap servers after all; but yeah, the average LEB user will at least consider trying this small box all for themselves.

@finlandvps BW is cheap for them, IPs are free for them, hardware as well, power maybe not too much

• Already cancelled five of my existing VPSes and ordered OVH, which have not been provisioned yet. I wonder if India is on their "bad countries" list.

The only VPSes which I still have are lowend 128 MB plans which I still have to use as nameservers. 1 IPv4 is not enough for a dedicated, unless you plan to use the entire dedicated as one box. I still have one Backupsy plan.

• DavidxDavidx Member
    edited July 2013

@joelgm said:
    Already cancelled five of my existing VPSes and ordered OVH, which have not been provisioned yet. I wonder if India is on their "bad countries" list.

which plan did you get?

I really want to cancel some servers from random providers & shrink it down to one machine. Save some costs.. but I want to virtualize everything.

Not so sure the cheapest Atom proc would be too good overall though :(

• I cancelled my backup 250G vps and ordered one from ovh. Already received confirmation of my payment.

• DroidzoneDroidzone Member
    edited July 2013

@David_P said:
    but I want to virtualize everything.

So do I, but 1 IPv4 precludes that.

which plan did you get?

2x2Gs.

• DavidxDavidx Member

@joelgm said:
    1 IPv4 precludes that.

I guess it depends on what your using it for?
    http://www.ameir.net/blog/archives/55-running-proxmox-behind-a-single-ip-address.html

Thanked by 1Droidzone
  • DroidzoneDroidzone Member
    edited July 2013

@talsit said:
    Get a VPS, break it and you have some outstanding service available from some outstanding providers.

Can't you just add virtualization, and use it exactly as you do a VPS?

@David_P said:

Thanks

@joelgm said:
    Can't you just add virtualization, and use it exactly as you do a VPS?

Sure, but if you can add virtualization you can probably reinstall the host system if you broke it too. Besides, there wont be anyone to ask to enable TUN/TAN in your KVM, fr example, or to request upgrade from OVZ to Xen without reinstall and keeping IP.

• talsittalsit Member

@joelgm you could, but that takes some research and work, something many people may not be willing to invest. Reinstalling xen or proxmox and reinstalling all of your VPS's would be a PITA if you didn't have everything backed up correctly.

Some of the relatively easier solutions won't be used by regular VPS users due to cost (VMWare, Windows Hyper-V) and the equally good but free solutions have a steep learning curve and confusing documentation.

• How in the world....

• @talsit said:
    joelgm you could, but that takes some research and work, something many people may not be willing to invest.

Five months ago, I was on a shared hosting, before switching to VPSes. I'm looking forward to getting my hands dirty working on a dedicated. :D

• seikanseikan Member

I don't case about the RAM or CPU, but the 500GB HDD catched me. Worth a try even use it just for storage.

• @Maounique said:
    If this is a stunt to push small providers out of the market, then it is not only illegal, but will also not work.

You not liking it doesn't make it illegal.

Thanked by 1Spencer
  • Ordered one about 30mins ago. havent got the confirmation yet. I just wanna play with ESXI but I have noticed its no longer advertised as a option on OS selection page when you order. I'm sure it was there a week ago. Now its not there on the whole kimsufi line. Any thoughts on this?

• talsittalsit Member

Hmm, it was available when I ordered my KS16, both 5.0 and 4.1 were listed on the OVH.IE site.

• @talsit said:
    Hmm, it was available when I ordered my KS16, both 5.0 and 4.1 were listed on the OVH.IE site.

Its listed on that box before you choose the exact OS. But when you click on "Virtualization" its not there. Only things like proxmox,xen,virtuozzo.... are listed

• rds100rds100 Member

I'm now almost convinced to order one, just to play with it :) How does one remove the VAT for an EU company with VAT number?

• so uhm..how do one choose debian 32bit, i remember there was that option from the old kimsufi pricing.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@Maounique said:
    But price is only one of the factors, RamNode is scoring high as well as BuyVM even
    though there are much lower priced offers in the market.

Right, and that has been the case for the past year really.

This is all something to be aware of, but I'm not going to lose sleep over the frenzy. The Top Providers polls have proven that even in the low end market, there is a lot to be said for quality in the face of rock bottom pricing. You would think with all the marketing we see around here that what people most appreciate would be gobs of RAM for pennies on the dollar, but the polls seem to suggest that a quality product is the real winner. I would have been much more concerned a year and a half ago, but experience and several fun chats with @Francisco over the last twelve months have changed my perspective. I AM glad I'm not trying to start up a backup server business right now, but I don't think this is the death knell for LEBs by any means.

On a side note, I will be happy to see fewer seedboxes on my network because of this :P

• @Maounique said:
    OVH does not service everyone, if you are in one of the "bad" countries, especially since they are running at a loss, (I am not sure that price covers power consumption), you wont be able to order, I suppose, or they will kick you for imaginary reasons.

How do you know they're running at a loss? OVH operates at the sort of scale you can't even imagine. They're located next to a nuclear power plant in Gravelines, and they have room for thousands of these things. Low voltage, low heat and custom mounting means the can probably get an insane density on these. They wouldn't do it unless it made business sense. Unless you're secretly a CEO of one of the biggest hosting companies in the world, I wouldn't start commenting on the financials of one like you know.

If this is a stunt to push small providers out of the market, then it is not only illegal, but will also not work.

In what way, shape or form is this illegal? Please? I'd love to know.

Not only because of location and how they treat people, but also because not everyone can setup a dedi, not everyone is happy with the CPU speed and general specs of those, disk is big, but memory not so much, 100 mbps might be good for most people, but others may need bursts, etc.

Sure, there's no one size fits all box, but how is that new? This is at least dedicated with lots of storage for extremely cheap.

If anything, this will give a blow to unprofessional hosts, not those that are working hard towards quality and customer satisfaction.

Sure.

• talsittalsit Member

Another big thing on this is when the dedi fails.

Many users (not savvy/professional ones) rely on their VPS provider to have a backup and help them restore their service. With OVH and the KS line, they will get to your failed dedi when they can, replace what is broken and then the rest is up to you. No backup, no worries, just reinstall that vanilla OS.

There are also a lot of people that rail against the OVH doctored kernels that are in the default linux installs.

• @Maounique said:
    OVH does not service everyone, if you are in one of the "bad" countries, especially since they are running at a loss, (I am not sure that price covers power consumption), you wont be able to order, I suppose, or they will kick you for imaginary reasons.

If this is a stunt to push small providers out of the market, then it is not only illegal, but will also not work. Not only because of location and how they treat people, but also because not everyone can setup a dedi, not everyone is happy with the CPU speed and general specs of those, disk is big, but memory not so much, 100 mbps might be good for most people, but others may need bursts, etc.

If anything, this will give a blow to unprofessional hosts, not those that are working hard towards quality and customer satisfaction.

Come on whats the reason for all your rage? Oh wait.. :P