Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

€2.99/month dedicated - what's going to happen in the industry? - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

€2.99/month dedicated - what's going to happen in the industry?

Comments

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@rds100 said:
    Just PM me with the config you would like, because there is some time needed to setup and test everything before we can give it to you.

And for who didnt see it yet, this is exactly why OVH will not make rds100 go out of business, nor prometeus or anyone else, we are on different segments of the market, not a direct competitor of OVH, whether we like it or not.

• @rds100 , wow, that's a very nice of you :)

Thank you. Since I'm new in dedicated server, I will contact you via PM :)

• To be honest this doesn't look like it is going to last forever, heck it is even cheaper than a Dropbox account. It looks like they have a lot of idle or depreciated stock and so long as they can cover the provisioning and operating costs it is worth their while. They also know that dedicated servers tend to be idle most of the time. The fact is outside multimedia production and gaming the CPUs from the Pentium 4 era have been enough to cover most needs.

How much do additonal IPs cost?

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited July 2013

How much do additonal IPs cost?

No additional IPs available on this lineup. http://forum.ovh.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6730

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited July 2013

You can order IP's but not for failover.
    See: http://s14.directupload.net/file/d/3328/6ic88s8m_png.htm

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

I was expecting a new price drop. They are trying to fill every possible area, they tried with the vps market but weren't able to obtain the results they were expecting. Hardware is more predictable than software.

We (small providers) can't compete on the same level, we must offer different services, better redoundances, more flexibility or create better relationship with clients. I go eat in a place were I pay a little more than the overage restaurants in the same area, I appreciate the place, the people and how they make me feel ;-)

• Mehh. My ramnode still out performs ovh .

• How does OVH handle (unintentional) inbound DDOS?

• tr1ckytr1cky Member

@joelgm said:
    How does OVH handle (unintentional) inbound DDOS?

They don't handle it the same way all the time, for big attacks they either nullroute you or they reroute you through their filtering systems, for small attacks usually they do nothing until you contact them.

The network itself is protected against SYN-Floods and they set udp limits per IP, so it's harder to take a server down.

edited July 2013

So, i called OVH again atm you can order additional IP's but it will be disabled in the next time. About 2-5TB Every Month is ok but near 30TB you could get limited in future.

• jcalebjcaleb Member

why not merge the 2 kimsufi thread

• @Infinity580 said:
    Satm you can order additional IP's

I suppose that one has to wait for server provisioning before doing this?

Yeah

• @Maounique
    Dedicated server, 500GB HDD, 2GB of real RAM, 4 CPU threads allocated just to you. No limits, my UNIX load could be 49 and I don't bother anyone.

Support? both are unmanaged.

Hardware? failures happen.

You can't compare OpenVZ (over[s/z]old) with a dedicated, I'd rather look at you Xen plans to compare.

Sure, your CPU might be as good as you want, but can you use all of it all the time? I can.

and as rm said, just wait until the OVH servers are deployed, I hope you don't lose any customer, I like your service, but I doubt there won't be cancellations.

To late, it got now deactivated.... shit

• dnwkdnwk Member

@joelgm said:
    So do I, but 1 IPv4 precludes that.

Do some NAT

• @Infinity580 said:
    To late, it got now deactivated.

What did?

Additional IP's.

• LukeTLukeT Member

Glad I got a few extra IPs while I could. I wonder if they'll remove them from accounts that /shouldn't/ have them..

• @infinity580 you mean ordering new ips got deactivated or what?

@finlandvps Yes, the function is not more available

• @joelgm said:
    Can't you just add virtualization, and use it exactly as you do a VPS?

Hardware virtualization is not possible with the Atom processors I believe.

Possible, you can run Virtualbox with your own Kernel :D

Thanked by 1tux
  • sc754sc754 Member

@rds100 said:
    Doing some calculations the 3EUR / month is probably enough to cover their power and bandwidth costs. The power is probably like 1 EUR/month. However if we think about ROI of the equipment, it is a different story. Lets do some rough math:

• N2800 motherboard from Intel - $100
    • 2GB RAM - $20
    • 500GB HDD - $50

So this makes $170 hardware cost, excluding their custom case and power solution. $170 is about 125 EUR.
    Ok, they are probably buying a lot of hardware. Let's say they have 30% discount, so the hardware costs them about 90EUR.
    So if they use 1 EUR to cover the electricity / bandwidth cost and 2EUR to cover the hardware cost, that's 45 months, or almost 4 years to break even on the equipment.

Not really. They already own most of the hardware and will have paid it off, excluding maybe hard drives. Power is probably 0 EUR/month if not it's a negative cost if they are using renewable energy since any energy you use is free and you even get paid if you don't use it all. Have a look at the EU renewable subsidies, they are incredible. So bandwidth is really most of the cost excluding the marginal setup costs per unit. Most people won't use anything near the unmetered allowance. I would bet the average bandwidth use is 500GB per unit if not less. So all in all it's affordable for them. Especially if you look at the fact its a new DC, they'll want to fill it as quickly as possible to pay off the loans they will have for it's construction.

• @sc754 said:
    Not really. They already own most of the hardware and will have paid it off, excluding maybe hard drives. Power is probably 0 EUR/month if not it's a negative cost if they are using renewable energy since any energy you use is free and you even get paid if you don't use it all. Have a look at the EU renewable subsidies, they are incredible. So bandwidth is really most of the cost excluding the marginal setup costs per unit. Most people won't use anything near the unmetered allowance. I would bet the average bandwidth use is 500GB per unit if not less. So all in all it's affordable for them. Especially if you look at the fact its a new DC, they'll want to fill it as quickly as possible to pay off the loans they will have for it's construction.

Power / space isn't free. Even if on renewable energy. Instead of having a monthly fee you pay a huge upfront fee to build those things. It still has to be recovered in the monthly charge.

• rds100rds100 Member

Renewable energy is damn expensive scam. OVH are buying cheap nuclear energy. They probably pay something like 3 eurocents or less per kWh.

• @rm_ said:
    Stop being so butthurt already, and trash-talking a competitor like that is not professional.

I don't think @Maounique is butthurting. I think this is his general view on the world and a part of his personality. If your read some of his other posts, he riles against big government, big brother, state thugs/henchmen (police), big business, corruption and the like.

I for one agree with him on some points. I think it will hit some of the backup LEB providers, some of the >$4-7 and above VPS providers, but the ultra LEB providers <$3/month should be mostly OK. I guess the one that are at risk of being hit will have to make the services compete in other areas to get the business like support. Although that will be a tough area for most LEB providers as providing good support is high cost.

• sc754sc754 Member

@concerto49 said:
    Power / space isn't free. Even if on renewable energy. Instead of having a monthly fee you pay a huge upfront fee to build those things. It still has to be recovered in the monthly charge.

The subsidies pay for the build cost of wind turbines and then some. So yeah it is free energy, even profitable so like a said a negative cost. Space is not free so yeah there will be a small cost there along with bandwidth

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited July 2013

I don't think @Maounique is butthurting. I think this is his general view on the world and a part of his personality. If your read some of his other posts, he riles against big government, big brother, state thugs/henchmen (police), big business, corruption and the like.

Sure, but since he now sort of represents a provider, his continuous badmouthing of OVH in every thread does not look too appropriate anymore.

and as rm said, just wait until the OVH servers are deployed

Don't remember saying anything like that :D

I hope you don't lose any customer, I like your service, but I doubt there won't be cancellations.

Personally I won't be cancelling my Prometeus VPS, it is the best VPS service I ever had, seriously.

• @Maounique said:
    On the contrary, I am as confident as i can be that our services are better and you would eventually regret your decision to leave. This is why I am taunting you, it is some kind of a bet that our equally priced OVerZold (for the amount of RAM because CPU is way better and disk space is way lower while the io is also way better so cant be really compared spec by spec) is beating up flat any combination of 2G. therefore it is highly irrelevant in the argument, KS is cheaper than our premium VPSes, our Biz line ? Fine, you are comparing our premium services with their low end ones, if we compare low end against low end, you will see that either:

Our services are better;

I really like your network, Hitachi SAN and everything. But whats up with the Unixbench scores of your "premium" xen line?

http://serverbear.com/825-biz-xen2-prometeus#benchmarks
    http://serverbear.com/535-biz-xen5-prometeus#benchmarks