Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

€2.99/month dedicated - what's going to happen in the industry? - Page 7
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

€2.99/month dedicated - what's going to happen in the industry?

Comments

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@Maounique said:
    So far, as predicted by me:

1. deny service to random people and change of the site to place restrictions, as well as changing specs and delivery times.

Let's see if those who ordered when it was higher spec get the higher spec - Joodle got an Atom 2800, so it's not beyond the realms of possibility that the early buyers will get the 2 cores. You'd also expect anyone to struggle with an unexpected volume of orders, so not really a surprise that order times have gone out the window.

Not sure anyone has actually been denied service yet?

1. the offer is no longer unlimited, it is only subject to availability now, therefore "it will not last" part in my prediction is also true.

That subject to availability line has always been there, so I wouldn't say you've exactly nailed that one. What to see if they stop offering the product.

1. the support (even for billing issues they are guilty for) is barely there.

Yeah, OVH support is more-or-less non-existant, but that's always been the way.

1. Cancellations happen without notification, etc.

Has anyone's order been formally cancelled and money refunded yet?

I predicted this offer is not to stay because it is making a loss and all the good pr they got will vanish when they will not deliver. So far it is true.

Jury's still out there, let's see in a few months what's happening. Once the initial burst is over, it'll be back to business as usual for OVH.

@Jack said:
    Mr French man was nice..

I rang OVH

Hello since we did this offer we get lots of order and delay us lots you have server assigned to your account so you aren't looking at the 10 day wait time probably tomorrow.

That's positive then, I have appear to have servers assigned to both orders, so fingers crossed at least one will appear.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@tr1cky said:
    Maounique You should really step down from all the hate you throw at them, it leaves me with the feeling that there are only unprofessional guys at prometeus/iperweb.

As I already said, this has nothing to do with the company, i have had bad experience with OVH at a personal level, as well as a few friends of mine. I thought at that time it is something they do to romanians, but it proved later that is the regular way they do business.

Leaving that aside, not only that my predictions are true so far so my personal experience proves to be valuable data, but they even got worse than that changing specs. That I couldnt predict.

• LeeLee Veteran

@Maounique said:
    Anyone else besides rm_ and chauffer to call me names

Oh, I say. Yes, I will have a go, Donkey Breath!

I agree with your comments though been saying on Gchat since yesterday that they will start limiting things like max order, bandwidth and so on because lots of people will order them for bandwidth sucking tasks.

I ordered 3 K2's which I will not resell but let a local charity group who teach young out of work people have them to put them to some good educational use.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@Maounique said:
    but they even got worse than that changing specs. That I couldnt predict.

It hasn't happened yet, there's no evidence that anyone who ordered when the better spec machines were isn't still getting one. You're just stirring the pot at the moment, wait until the proof comes in to run around shouting 'told you so'.

edited July 2013

@W1V_Lee said:
    lots of people will order them for bandwidth sucking tasks.

Indeed, traffic and storage at a great price. This means either backup or torrent boxes for the big crowd and they would do great for this. Few ppl need 1 gbps port unless they have 1 gbps at the other end, surely not at home (yet), but they can use to backup other boxes.

I do not say KS are useless, i tried to order one when they launched and i regularly recommend them to people which have random cpu spikes as can do some things at a great price, however, I stick by my arguments that OVH is not trustworthy and nobody should expect the same level of service as with some top 20-30 LEB providers here.

That being said, good luck with the little atoms that could.

@Nekki said:
    It hasn't happened yet, there's no evidence that anyone who ordered when the better spec machines were isn't still getting one. You're just stirring the pot at the moment, wait until the proof comes in to run around shouting 'told you so'.

I dont know for sure yet, but it looks a lot of ppl got cancelled and now either cant order or can in the new conditions. I havent told you so either, I admit I couldnt predict that, I only predicted it wont last (now is subject to availability) and random ppl will be denied service (they restricted it to EU residents only).

• @Maounique Calling you names?

Serious.

Are you trying very hard to start drama or what?

• Rather than fighting here, how about posting a dedicated offer for $20/month :)

edited July 2013

@chauffer said:
    Are you trying very hard to start drama or what?

Me ? Ppl which launch personal attacks and call names are doing that as well as trying very hard to involve prometeus in this.

FYI this offer had nothing to do with prometeus, we keep our word and only deny service to people which are rejected by Maxmind for a serious reason (anonymous proxy, carder email, etc) We do not require papers to be sent and then we do not change conditions so ppl which sent papers, not only that are still denied service, but are also not able to order int he future either.

OVH has nothing to do with Prometeus, they are much bigger, offer different services at different prices for different people, yet many posters here try to launch attacks on us for OVH failures. It is obvious i will try to prove them wrong, stop their drama attempts, you wouldnt expect anything less, would you ?

Look at the title of the thread. While we do not consider ourselves a LEB host, we do have some products priced in that range. Whoever wishes to cancel their leb and go for KS, is free to do so, but trying to launch attacks against providers here saying we should be improving our services to compete, here is the answer: OVH has much to do in order to compete with us. Until that happens, I will call their bluff all the time.

• **** OVH KILLS LEB **** Can the last person on LET switch off the lights on their way out!

• @Maounique

I beg of you, quote where I 'called you names', 'personal attacks' 'involve prometeus in this'

@asterisk14 said:
    **** OVH KILLS LEB **** Can the last person on LET switch off the lights on their way out!

Cant agree more. I feel bad for CC for buying LEB/LET just when the market is closing :(

@Jack said:
    Are you joking?

Of course :P

edited July 2013

@chauffer said:

Apparently OVH's dedicateds are better than Maounique's servers..
    @chauffer said: 'involve prometeus in this'
    You can't compare OpenVZ (over[s/z]old) with a dedicated, I'd rather look at you Xen plans to compare.

Sorry about the name calling part, I cant find it now.

To all the people attacking me and prometeus, saying our services are not up to par with OVH, calling me butthurt and whatnot, if you are not yet convinced all I was saying is/will come true, you are in for a big disappointment. I tried to warn you, but you think shooting the messenger was a better idea.

I leave you enjoy your 3 Eur/mo dedicated servers. But be warned ! Every time i see a thread saying how someone was terminated/denied service complain for bad support or arrogance I will come to say I told you so. If I were you I would try to edit the places with personal attacks, would make great quotes for those threads.

Thanked by 1Jacob
  • Well, haters gonna hate but at the end of the day, Linode is making more than any of the top3 provider, same can be said about liquid web, rackspace and other "premium" provider.

It is not the price all the time folks ;)

Thanked by 2Lee Maounique
  • @Maounique

Come on, quote it all.

"I hope you don't lose any customer, I like your service, but I doubt there won't be cancellations."

Really.

• @Mounique also, you were the one who dragged Prometeus in this, 'we have faster CPU! we have this we have that' - so, with benchmarks, where the €3/month dedi scores better than your Xen VPS, I'm attacking prometeus?

@seriesn said:

Yep. And we are yet to have cancellations today, heck, a regular day has in average one or two, today there was none.

All I said here was to warn people that are thinking to jump the boat and had no previous OVH experience. In fact, almost everyday i recommend OVH to various customers of prometeus/iperweb. They are great for some jobs, including back-up and customers which cant control the CPU spikes in our OVZ products as well as unlimited traffic if the 100 mbps are enough for them, and other cases.

I do not hate OVH as a competitor, no matter what people think here, they are not, but because they denied me service and terminated some of my friends without warning and for imagined reasons (in some cases, others were real).

I cannot accept the "give me your papers and we will see" kind of attitude especially since their customer database has bee compromised. (http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/12107/ovh-customer-database-compromised)

For those things that they did and are doing, I will not recommend them, however, this will work for some, and, even here, I recommended them to some people asking for advice.

• xsetxset Member

@nekki how do you know if you have a server or two attached to your orders?

• asterisk14asterisk14 Member
    edited July 2013

@seriesn said:
    Well, haters gonna hate but at the end of the day, Linode is making more than any of the top3 provider, same can be said about liquid web, rackspace and other "premium" provider.

Usually people with more money than sense or just plain stupid

or the ones that do not know about LEB and how seriously they are being done over,

or the ones who have their employers paying for the VPS/dedicated server so they don't care about the money as it's not theirs (and it's also the best choice in that scenario as which employee would use a LEB to save their boss money and then risk getting fired when the LEB host disappears)

big business - they just right it off as an expese and claim it against tax

big government - because it's public money so they don't care about wasting it

Thanked by 1rm_
  • xsetxset Member

@maounique Mind sharing what reasons those were that got you and your friends terminated, so people could understand your OVH dislike?

• hey @Maounique how about we forget this since I never planned to offend you or the hosting you work with?

Thanked by 1Maounique

@chauffer said:
    Mounique also, you were the one who dragged Prometeus in this, 'we have faster CPU! we have this we have that' - so, with benchmarks, where the €3/month dedi scores better than your Xen VPS, I'm attacking prometeus?

No, it is rm_ which dragged prometeus in this, he was saying that we need to worry because of this offer and that my attacks on OVH (as he perceived my warnings) are motivated by my insecurity because I know our services are bad or too pricey or both (didnt say that directly, but that was the general idea). It is kind of ironic that he got cancelled too, even tho he is an old OVH customer, he should have known those things happen, if not from personal experience, at least from threads here.

In your case, I am sorry, I thought i read some name calling from you, however, you are comparing one-two core with 4 cores/threads. Xen offers for 2 GB will clearly outperform any KS dedi, including the 4 cores ones. They cost more, of course, but have 1 gbps port, SAN/SAS2 redundancy, some support, less arrogance packaged. I am still waiting for benchmarks of the 3 Eur KS to have a real contest.

You cant compare a VPS with a dedi is just a superstition, you need them to do a job, not to make comparisons, in a real usage scenario a VPS will outperform an atom up to 4 GB ram, and even 8 for other servers unless they have SSD or seriious raids (not software with 2 drives).

As I said, there are usage cases for both, a KS will do a good backup box if lack of raid is no problem or if you take the 2 disks one, it can serve web content to the point where io would make db too slow (and that means a few hundred visitors for light sites and 50+ for heavy ones), can be used for torrenting without worrying about iowait or traffic, many other usage cases.

They are not in competition with us, nor any other VPS provider, their VPS line fell short of everything, while the price is similar, the products are largely different and usage is/should be different too.

• xsetxset Member

@asterisk14 in the end what matters is stability, reliability, good support if/when needed. Linode has a nice Longview monitoring service for free, they're not overly expensive and have multiple locations and good support with good service. I think that's what matters for any critical/money making service.

• @xset said:
    asterisk14 in the end what matters is stability, reliability, good support if/when needed. Linode has a nice Longview monitoring service for free, they're not overly expensive and have multiple locations and good support with good service. I think that's what matters for any critical/money making service.

Yes I said it in the thread previously, number one, two and three priority for a customer like me is reliability, reliability, and reliability. Not the best specs for the least cash or RAM/$.

• @asterisk14 said:
    big government - because it's public money so they don't care about wasting it

Here is the thing, corporates and big companies are running mission critical sites, sites that requires uptime, instant support, reliablity, quality. Not that all leb providers are bad, but you can't expect anything awesome if you are paying 1$ for a vps. One of those site down = lost business, big costs . Same reason why corporation pays microsoft and apple or oracle or redhat and don't use debian or centos.

When you care about something, you pay for it ;)

@xset said:
    maounique Mind sharing what reasons those were that got you and your friends terminated, so people could understand your OVH dislike?

Sure, i am sure i detailed in some place but was long ago so i am not even trying to find:

1. I was denied service period. I placed an order with them and received the request to give them some papers (dont remember which they asked then) but the order was already cancelled. I asked why before sending papers, got no reply back.

2. One of my friends got terminated because of DDoS. i checked and could find no evidence of that, the most pps count was below 5 k, he was running a backup box i setup with iscsi and also a web interface for a kind of file sharing for personal reasons (a dropbox he needed when in a hurry to move files around). There was no public service at all. At that time support was in french only or i didnt know or cared if they have in english too as my french is better anyway and contacted them using his credentials to ask for the reason (he got an automated mail till then about the server being put in service mode or whatever they call it) and got reply "DDoS" not saying if outbound, inbound, packet count, bw or anything. I tried to continue the conversation asking for more data since the traffic used/pps did not seem to support that theory but that was the end of it, no more reply.

3. Almost the same happened about one year later (could have been 6 months, I am not sure) with another friend, this time he had a site with instructions how to setup/unlock/resoft/etc phones DIY kind of without charges but he was advertising his services for locked phones or hard cases. In this case DDoS would have been possible from competition and he was running a public facing service, but again, I found no evidence of that, nor in traffic, neither in pps. This time, no reply at all at the inquiries.

4. Another friend was having a game server, he had indeed some attacks (very small, kind of a residential line could lauch) and moved over to OVH because of that thinking that much bigger bw will solve the issue. He has been suspended after a couple of months and this time it did look like an attack occured, but was suspended also without warning at the first strike.

At that time I thought they dont like romanians as most of Europe and this is directed at us as an enticement to go elsewhere, however, reading WHT and here as well as varous blogs and stuff proved they do this to many other nationalities, therefore it is an OVH way of doing business. Even uncle had issues with their support's arrogance, and he wasnt on the KS line...

Buttom of line, there are happy customers that didnt need support, were not single out by their automated tools or just think they can put up with this for the very low price and nothing against them, not OVH, they provide a very good service for the price, however, saying they will compete with LEB providers here and destroy the market is going way too far, even if this offer is sustainable and they can afford to throw that much money away, the other problems will remain, so this is a competition for a LEB provider who's services suck big time and offers similar levels of support, not for a real service without overselling which will beat the crap out of atoms core per core and in IO/redundancy, whatever. Again, this does not mean KSs are useless, on the contrary, they can fill the gaps in backups where VPS storage is expensive due to redundancy and/or speed requirements or where unlimited albeit slower traffic is required.

• @seriesn said:

Like I said big business - it doesn't matter to them as they right off the VPS costs as expenses, and they need reliability, so they are happy to pay.

That is the 4 threads variant, try again for the 2 threads one. In fact, there is no need, it states there, 409 or so.

Our single vcore beats that, you can compare the 4 threads ks with the 4 vcores offer from us, if you go for CPU. Not to mention our traffic speed is way higher since the port is 1 gbps. We have lower disk space, higher price (for the top line, lower for OVerZold) but higher speed, raid, better support, better CPU and customization/upgrades in place, etc. The products are not similar, cannot compare core per core, gb per gb, etc. As I said, KS does not compete with VPSes unless the provider is totally inept/oversold to the point it doesnt work anymore.

• All three of my servers have been cancelled. Paid via the French OVH site, from my personal verified Paypal account that's been online since 4 years. I'm an Indian national.

Am I supposed to contact them, requesting a refund?