Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BuyVM KVM Slices! 512MB for $20.00/year! Block Storage Slabs for $1.25/month per 256GB! - Page 6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

BuyVM KVM Slices! 512MB for $20.00/year! Block Storage Slabs for $1.25/month per 256GB!

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@TimboJones said:

@Francisco said:

@IFightCode said:
    Once upon a time, we had to wait for a long time to buy these plans. Within few hours, out of stock message appeared. Service was such good.

However, I wonder what people do these days with such tiny plans.

512MB is tiny? That's the common size at almost every big provider right now.

This isn't the 128MB's :)

Francisco

Yes, it's tiny. Not sure how you know the most common sized VPS at big providers, though. The 512MB servers are good for one or two basic services, but can't run decent apps that need a couple of GB. All the businesses I know with VPS'S have much more resources than my personal ones. Just anecdotal, but 512MB is getting more useless. Yum-cron trips resource limits fairly often with usage in hundreds of MB'S, for example.

Install logwatch on your 512MB servers and you'll probably notice some OOM killing invoked every now and then.

I mean more that they offer it. AWS, DO, Vultr all have their intro plan at 512MB.

Francisco

• eoleol Member

512MB ought to be enough for anybody.

• TheRealDealTheRealDeal Member
    edited January 2019

512MB is fine works for what I want to do. I do prefer idleing servers with 6gb or more though.

• I was able to snag the last 512 that came available today. I'm going to use it for a VPN, so the size is moot... The speed seems to be perfect for the use.

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • TimboJones said: Just anecdotal, but 512MB is getting more useless.

Agree. Two couples of years ago, you could easily setup a full mail server with antispam and antivirus fitting on a 512MB vps with some tweaking. Nowadays, you will need more than 1 GB just to let clamav + antispam (spamassassin or else) plus webserver, mariadb, php, a mailserver and an imap server work well.
    And even if you can setup a vanilla WP with nginx even on a 128MB box, it will need more than 1GB for an installation with several but needed plugins and some medium traffic to work fine...

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • @TimboJones said:

@Francisco said:

@IFightCode said:
    Once upon a time, we had to wait for a long time to buy these plans. Within few hours, out of stock message appeared. Service was such good.

Francisco

Yes, it's tiny. Not sure how you know the most common sized VPS at big providers, though. The 512MB servers are good for one or two basic services, but can't run decent apps that need a couple of GB. All the businesses I know with VPS'S have much more resources than my personal ones. Just anecdotal, but 512MB is getting more useless. Yum-cron trips resource limits fairly often with usage in hundreds of MB'S, for example.

Install logwatch on your 512MB servers and you'll probably notice some OOM killing invoked every now and then.

For VPN, Proxy, Monitoring, Voice Server like Mumble, TeamSpeak, even for site like small blog it ok. If you do not know how to use it not mean that it can't be usable.

Thanked by 1iHavenoName
  • lukehebblukehebb Member
    edited January 2019

Francisco said: I mean more that they offer it. AWS, DO, Vultr all have their intro plan at 512MB.

DO start at 1GB

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • Are we continuing to complain about the ram. If 512MB doesn't suit your needs get a bigger plan. I'm my case 512MB is enough so I purchased one of them. Simple

Thanked by 3eol netomx sentarum
  • sinsin Member

That BuyVM stock notifier website worked really well, got notified about a 512M in LV being available and I ordered it asap.

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • jvnadr said: And even if you can setup a vanilla WP with nginx even on a 128MB box

WP+ Nginx could run on 64MB (I didn't try it yet) but on of my server have ~111MB and I was able to run WP on it .

• sinsin Member

The 512M slices with slabs are such a freaking good value, this is going to be my new backup storage vps :-).

@Limpan is a free elf!

Francisco

• lukehebb said: DO start at 1GB

Not at $20/y they don't ;). Remember these refresh the old 128MB plans that worked perfectly fine for their users. No idea why yumcron wants so much ram. apt-get works fine on a 32MB openvz. I cancelled my last one of those a few years ago, but still use a 64MB NAT vps every day.

willie said: Remember these refresh the old 128MB plans that worked perfectly fine for their users.

We have had people buy 128MB plans up until they were put OOS. Not mountains but people did for VPN's, BNC's, ZNC's, small things like that.

I could continue offering that product, but I'd rather put my focus into Slice and Slice accessories, I tell ya h'what.

Francisco

Thanked by 1netomx
  • now I am scheming to split a 512 mb kvm into a few 128 mb ovz ... (j/k I think)

Thanked by 1eol
  • @ofit said:

@TimboJones said:

@Francisco said:

@IFightCode said:

Francisco

For VPN, Proxy, Monitoring, Voice Server like Mumble, TeamSpeak, even for site like small blog it ok. If you do not know how to use it not mean that it can't be usable.

These fall into one or two basic services I mention. I've got some for piholes, neorouter, simple file downloads, etc. Basic unitaskers.

• Some NY slices seem to be for sale.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • NY slices

thin crust ftw

Thanked by 2eol Daniel15
  • For New York. Was there a date for block slabs being available for NY coming?

@smile said:
    For New York. Was there a date for block slabs being available for NY coming?

Towards the summer.

LU will come in March or so since I want to get some BuyShared upgrades done in the same shipment.

Francisco

Thanked by 2lurch Aidan
  • @uptime said:
    now I am scheming to split a 512 mb kvm into a few 128 mb ovz ... (j/k I think)

That actually works pretty well. Just use LXC instead of OpenVZ otherwise you'll have to downgrade the kernel quite a bit.

@TheRealDeal said:
    I do prefer idleing servers with 6gb or more though.

Haha, I've got a VPS with Virmach that has 10 GB RAM, and I still haven't worked out what to do with so much RAM.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • @Daniel15 said:
    Haha, I've got a VPS with Virmach that has 10 GB RAM, and I still haven't worked out what to do with so much RAM.

That's the one with 10GB disk too, right?

Thanked by 1eol
  • @Letzien said:

@Daniel15 said:

The one I've got has 10 GB RAM, 4x vCPU @ 3GHz, 120 GB SSD, 4000 GB monthly bandwidth for $74.85 per year. I installed Windows Server 2016 and a bunch of stuff on it (Prometheus, Grafana, MySQL) and it's still only using ~2 GB of the RAM :tongue:

I've got a lot more stuff running on my BuyVM (which "only" has 4 GB RAM) as in general I like BuyVM a lot more than VirMach, particularly when it comes to network speeds and just overall system performance. VirMach server performance definitely doesn't feel as good as BuyVM.

• Thinking of sniping one of these 20/y as a trusted ssh jumphost / private vpn node.

How's the youtube filtering behavior on LUX? Do you get those vevo content not available warnings?

• Greatest support ever got!

• @vimalware said:
    Thinking of sniping one of these 20/y as a trusted ssh jumphost / private vpn node.

How's the youtube filtering behavior on LUX? Do you get those vevo content not available warnings?

You'll probably get a "Out of stock" warning first

• @Daniel15 said:
    VirMach server performance definitely doesn't feel as good as BuyVM.

Can confirm.

• eoleol Member

@Letzien said:

@Daniel15 said:

Probably only 5GB :P

• smilesmile Member
    edited January 2019

@iHavenoName said:

@Daniel15 said:
    VirMach server performance definitely doesn't feel as good as BuyVM.

Can confirm.

how could it have better performance? Do you not read their tos on usage cpu/io/etc usage