Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Datashack is getting some stock back on cheap dedicated servers - Page 27
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Datashack is getting some stock back on cheap dedicated servers

Comments

• I believe all the lines are on 1gbps and capped to 100mbit per machine. Same with WSI.

• Just to know :-

If someone order 2 or more drive, Does Data stack offers/provide Software or Hardware RAID?

• @MikeIn said: If someone order 2 or more drive, Does Data stack offers/provide Software or Hardware RAID?

I asked them before, they can setup Software RAID on request but don't offer hardware raid.

• @Patrick said: @MikeIn said: If someone order 2 or more drive, Does Data stack offers/provide Software or Hardware RAID?

I asked them before, they can setup Software RAID on request but don't offer hardware raid.

@Patrick Thanks for help :)

• @MikeIn said: I asked them before, they can setup Software RAID on request but don't offer hardware raid.

I think I got a hardware RAID though, but can't remember exactly since I have cancelled my server...

• Waiting setup for my dedicated.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

Their dual opteron for 35 comes with hw raid.

• @MikHo said: Their dual opteron for 35 comes with hw raid.

Unfortunately the card or the disks (probably the first) sucks for the average standard

But I am running a lot of stuff in my machine without issues.

• @yomero said: Unfortunately the card or the disks (probably the first) sucks for the average standard

Yeah, that may be true but lets face it, you're the only person on that machine :D

• yomeroyomero Member
    edited January 2013

@HalfEatenPie said: Yeah, that may be true but lets face it, you're the only person on that machine :D

Almost true... :D
    But as I said, is just a comparison versus the standards.

@yomero
    Its a g1 server you get (iirc), HP is now selling Generation8

Some things have changed during the years.

• @MikHo said: Some things have changed during the years.

Agree.
    Despite that, the raid card is the worst thing in that machines. I mean, the disks could be better.

@yomero
    agree with you there

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

I cancelled mine, I chose the second disk so $35+5= $40 it was a good deal, but I really didn't need it after the first month.
    I'm probably going to get an E3 server with them if they can do software RAID10 we'll see :)

• @shovenose said: I cancelled mine, I chose the second disk so $35+5= $40 it was a good deal, but I really didn't need it after the first month.

Good thing you were paying month by month, I was paying for half a year and essentially used it for like 10 days....

800th comment on this thread, can't believe this is actually this hot :)

• @zhuanyi said: 800th comment on this thread, can't believe this is actually this hot :)

cheap is hot!

I got it with the extra disk plus 4GB RAM. So far, so good.

• Running some benchmarks on mine now. I ordered it after about my 8th beer last night, and it was setup today before my 1st one.

• @yomero said: extra disk plus 4GB RAM

nice, the 300GB disks? I wish I have got it too but was told it is for new customers only...

• @zhuanyi said: nice, the 300GB disks? I wish I have got it too but was told it is for new customers only...

I canceled mine when they refused to upgrade my server with the new drives, I figured I will wait for a better deal.. but so far I have not found a need for a dedi.

was really tempted with their Xeon 5440 for $49 deal, but the fact there was no dedicated IPMI kinda change my mind. I do miss having a vmware server but honestly $40/ month was kinda too much considering I was not using it for anything.

• JacobJacob Member
    edited January 2013

Just cancelled another DS Server, slowly migrating away. Going to be shipping some equipment to JoesDC soon.

I'll grow with them more, when dylan becomes more co-operative.

• edited January 2013

@Jacob said: Just cancelled another DS Server, slowly migrating away. Going to be shipping some equipment to JoesDC soon.

I'll grow with them more, when dylan becomes more co-operative.

Hmm, looks like Joe's just got a bunch of brand new servers in! I may have to check them out. The fact that they offer Level3 bandwidth is pretty attractive also.

Also their colocation packages have been changed a bit it looks like, they now offer gigabit ports on all of their plans. Used to only be 100Mbit.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

As far as I know Joe's run on like 2-3gbps of network. I've always wondered how they survive.

• I'd hop on the train, but OOS.

• @zhuanyi said: nice, the 300GB disks?

No, got the normal ones. Maybe if I asked...

And well, here nobody posted benchmarks about these 300GB disks. For me the 146x2 space is a lot =)

• Does it take anyone else an unusually long time for SSH to connect?

I'll: ssh [email protected] -p XXXX

And then I wait, and wait, and wait.

Then finally (well, like 40 seconds later) I get prompted for the password and can enter.

Just thought it was strange it takes so long to connect. Network is fast, nothing odd about it once I connect. Just that initial connection takes an unusually long time.

• For me, generally is an issue with DNS resolution and the SSH server, disable it in the server side

• @MannDude

I don't have that problem.

• @yomero said: And well, here nobody posted benchmarks about these 300GB disks.

Back when I had one, this is how it tested (as a data drive -- non-OS):

1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 9.74709 s, 110 MB/s
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 11.1032 s, 96.7 MB/s
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 10.2996 s, 104 MB/s

• @MannDude, disable GSSAPIAuthentication on the server if you can. If you can't, use the -o GSSAPIAuthentication=no option when you're connecting. If you're using PuTTY, Connection –> SSH –> Auth –> uncheck “Attempt Kerberos 5 GSSAPI/SSPI auth (SSH-2)”

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited January 2013

Also

UseDNS no

into /etc/ssh/sshd_config, and restart sshd.