Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Datashack is getting some stock back on cheap dedicated servers - Page 26
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Datashack is getting some stock back on cheap dedicated servers

Comments

• @datashack nice to see u guys here... :)

one ques: can we mix SAS & SATA? i mean 300GB SAS as 1st drive and 500GB SATA as 2nd drive(will be used as Backup drive, no raid) ?

• earlearl Member
    edited September 2012

Well my request for the 300 gb was declined!! they said only for new customers go figure!!

• I ended up just cancelling my server.. I think I will wait for a better offer.
  • @Pats they probably only stock 3.5" SATA, Unless they have extra space in the chassis. This would not be possible.

• @Pats Yes but you won't like it. The RAID controllers hate the SATA drives.

• @earl as I stated earlier, I have (had) a handfull of the 300GB drives. There wern't enough for everyone and that's why this thread is the only place you see it mentioned. We have more pending orders than 300GB drives so they will be doled out in the order the orders were received.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

@datashack
    I have sent an email to your sales department, how fast can I expect an answer, as it is somehow urgent :P

• datashackdatashack Member
    edited September 2012

I answer sales e-mail during normal business hours. I'll go look for your e-mail now.

...and responded.

• So Which one are you, Rebecca or Dylan? :-)

@datashack said: I answer sales e-mail during normal business hours. I'll go look for your e-mail now.

...and responded.

• Im Brooks. Dylan answers sales related inquiries that go to the support system and you should never hear from rebecca unless you're in trouble.

• @datashack She was the one that sent me the email about my recent ddos, Or was that you.. :-)

DS is a amazing provider either way, I only have a grudge against some tech that lost the data in one of my RAID arrays.

• earlearl Member
    edited September 2012

@datashack said: as I stated earlier, I have (had) a handfull of the 300GB drives

well I canceled cause I really wanted something with more memory, but adding an extra 4gb @$10 to this server does not really make it a deal any more.. so I will wait for a better offer.. that and also new customers get 20TB instead of 10TB and 300 GB instead of 146GB was really a deciding factor in cancelling.

• zhuanyizhuanyi Member
    edited September 2012

@earl said: well I canceled cause I really wanted something with more memory, but adding an extra 4gb @$10 to this server does not really make it a deal any more.. so I will wait for a better offer.. that and also new customers get 20TB instead of 10TB and 300 GB instead of 146GB was really a deciding factor in cancelling.

That is something I have to agree with, they would add another SAS drive for you for 5 bucks a month and a 4G RAM stick, which cost half as much as a 146GB SAS drive, would set you back twice as much per month?

However their 1Gbps port is really a huge selling point, I don't think anyone is selling 1Gbps port dedis at that kind of price level.

• bdtechbdtech Member
    edited September 2012

Has anyone seen 90MB/s+ with DS gigabit?

• When I had a server with Datashack about a year ago they nullrouted my main IP because my server was infected with a DNS switcher...except it wasn't. I was linked to a page with my server's IP listed...the page was published 3 months earlier.

And no, they didn't warn me or anything, I woke up to a nullrouted server.

• @zhuanyi

yup @ $50/month it's really not a deal for this server considering there are lots of offers for xeon 5420 within this price range with higher specs

@bdtech

I think the highest I ever got was around 67 MB/s..

just did a test and this what I got, seems to happen on weekends..

root@debian:~# wget cachefly.cachefly.net/100mb.test -O /dev/null
    --2012-09-08 14:39:18-- http://cachefly.cachefly.net/100mb.test
    Resolving cachefly.cachefly.net... 205.234.175.175
    Connecting to cachefly.cachefly.net|205.234.175.175|:80... connected.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
    Length: 104857600 (100M) [application/octet-stream]
    Saving to: `/dev/null'

100%[======================================>] 104,857,600 754K/s in 1m 53s

2012-09-08 14:41:11 (907 KB/s) - `/dev/null' saved [104857600/104857600]

Also noticed from vmware that they have physically disconnected my network a couple of times not sure why.. but overall not really much to complain about.

• @datashack said: @Pats Yes but you won't like it. The RAID controllers hate the SATA drives.

i have a 2216 with 2x500GB SATA from your earlier offers, No raid. using the 2nd drive for Backups only.
    I was thinking if the 1st Hard Drive can be switched to 300GB SAS to boost the I/O

• Lol. no raid ;-) u use for wad @Pats

• DataShacks 1Gbit isn't that bad for the price.

[root@kc ~]# wget http://cachefly.cachefly.net/100mb.test -O /dev/null
    --2012-09-08 20:43:51--  http://cachefly.cachefly.net/100mb.test
    Resolving cachefly.cachefly.net... 205.234.175.175
    Connecting to cachefly.cachefly.net|205.234.175.175|:80... connected.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
    Length: 104857600 (100M) [application/octet-stream]
    Saving to: `/dev/null'

100%[==============================================================================================================================================================>] 104,857,600 46.7M/s   in 2.1s    

2012-09-08 20:43:53 (46.7 MB/s) - `/dev/null' saved [104857600/104857600]

• Got the 300GB drive installed yesterday! Tests beautifully.

1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 9.74709 s, 110 MB/s
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 11.1032 s, 96.7 MB/s
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 10.2996 s, 104 MB/s

• CarpeCarpe Member
    edited October 2012

Someone was a minute quicker, missed the last dual processor dedicated server. Will @DataShack get more stock back towards Xmas? Would need the $35 version for development.

• I love Datashack. They are a small company so folks shouldn't expect instant setups and sometimes things take time.

Aside from that, solid network (although some inconsistencies with speed when compared to Wholesaleinternet) --- even though routes typically are nearly identical (perhaps some QoS prioritization based on pay level or something).

Yeah, I colo a box with them :)

• Congrats @pubcrawler, your comment is 777th =D Have a lucky day :D

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@datashack said: I answer sales e-mail during normal business hours. I'll go look for your e-mail now.

could you answer my email to sales department dated: Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 9:37 PM

• Got the 146GB/$35 deal finally, very quick setup, less than 18 hrs including iLO access code. Will report back in 3 months.

• A quick report, only froze twice so far when toying with 2 VMs using VB on Ubuntu, where iLO came to the rescue. Otherwise flawless.

• @Carpe said: Otherwise flawless.

The $35 servers are great.

• anyone know what is the port speed of these dedicated servers on datashack?

• 1gbps

• @Cirium said: 1gbps

Not to sure about that. I know that the AMDs at the bottom are on 1gbps, but I am sure the rest are on 100mbit.