Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MyCustomHosting Down ? (Resolved. Issues? Open a ticket first!) - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

MyCustomHosting Down ? (Resolved. Issues? Open a ticket first!)

Comments

• FredQcFredQc Member

@rokok said:
    looks like all kvm node up now, no miracle to get our data back?

One must always do backups, even with the greatest host on Earth ;)

• rokokrokok Member

i did backup, always! just lazy to rebuild vps

• rokokrokok Member

Correct me if i'm wrong but all this disaster happened during MC doing upgrade? Not natural earth quake disaster right?

Hey, look all major vps provider give proper email notification and time frame before doing maintenance.

If only he inform ALL clients and give time range when upgrade/fixing things executed... Could save other people who don't do regular backup to prepare the worst thing like this.

my 2 cent ;p

• MCHPhilMCHPhil Member

Due to the way things marry up, between cache and spinning disks. Either part of that equation going south means a big problem.

I've heard that Solus may be redoing the backup system in the future, if so, when and if that happens I will look at deploying backups for VM's again.

Extremely sorry for the trouble. Working non stop to get things back in working order.

Thanked by 1FredQc
  • goglegogle Member
    edited May 2015

I am a customer of MCH. So all data was lost? Did Phil do backup (at least monthly)?
    If only you give customer atleast 2-3 days before doing anything at can damage system to backup....

• @MCHPhil said:
    Due to the way things marry up, between cache and spinning disks. Either part of that equation going south means a big problem.

I've heard that Solus may be redoing the backup system in the future, if so, when and if that happens I will look at deploying backups for VM's again.

Extremely sorry for the trouble. Working non stop to get things back in working order.

Do what i do and run cdp.me + the DB backup

• gonggogonggo Member

mine & billing (whmcs) still down :(

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited May 2015

gogle said: So all data was lost? Did Phil do backup (at least monthly)?

Taking backups is yours and only your responsibility. It clearly says so to TOS/AUP of most LET providers. And it has been said here a trillion times. If you buy an unmanaged server, then, you HAVE to know how to use and maintain it. This includes taking regular backups in another online and, even better, also in an off line location. As more freequent your backups will be, as better for you in a case of disaster.
    TL'DR Do not blame provider for not taking backups, he has not an obligation to do it, except if it is written in the terms of service.

gogle said: If only you give customer atleast 2-3 days before doing anything at can damage system to backup....

If MCH leave a time window of 2-3 days applying an emergency vulnerability patch, just to give his customers "time" to do backups, then, he would be a terrible provider because he would leave his clients for 2-3 days open to the exploit...

Thanked by 1JustAMacUser
  • rokokrokok Member

Not within dayS, can be minuteS or hourS, at least inform/email ALL clients before execution.

I got my backup as always and not-so-panic-condition when this down happened, but i blame MCH for doing not aware this customer-provider relationship. He take action on the first place without notifying clients, so its his responsibility.

Its been long run and very pleased with this provider, great services but this action caused BIG trouble. Lesson learn...

Just move on

• I quite sure @MCHPhil will settle your issues, just need to be patient. These things take time, you know......

• joereidjoereid Member

@rokok said:
    Not within dayS, can be minuteS or hourS, at least inform/email ALL clients before execution.

I got my backup as always and not-so-panic-condition when this down happened, but i blame MCH for doing not aware this customer-provider relationship. He take action on the first place without notifying clients, so its his responsibility.

Its been long run and very pleased with this provider, great services but this action caused BIG trouble. Lesson learn...

Just move on

Actually he did notify clients before the maintenance via email. You said you received one of the update emails above, so he's sending them to you too. Perhaps the original email landed in your spam box?

• rokokrokok Member

Nope, not received the first mail, I check regularly my spam inbox lol

looks like OP @FredQc also not receiving the first email

• JoeMeritJoeMerit Veteran

so is this one of the downfalls of running raid0 in a hosting environment ?

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • trvztrvz Member

@JoeMerit said:

yes. they should learn from Vultr, who as we all know don't use any RAID and have never lost customer data. /s

• xaitmixaitmi Member

Canada shared hosting is still down :(

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited May 2015

rokok said: Not within dayS, can be minuteS or hourS, at least inform/email ALL clients before execution.

My Custom Hosting <[email protected]>

3:42 AM (11 hours ago)

to me

There has been an issue with the SSD cache on CAVPS2, CAVPS3 and CAVPS4.  
        At this time the extent of the issue is unknown.

@rokok This is the first email. It has been send 3 hours before the incident. Maybe it is your issue (reject emails, spam filtering, other deliveribility issues) that caused a non-receipt.

rokok said: I got my backup as always and not-so-panic-condition when this down happened, but i blame MCH for doing not aware this customer-provider relationship. He take action on the first place without notifying clients, so its his responsibility.

Issues does happen even in the largest providers. It limits @MCHPhil 's responsibility just in frame as described on TOS/AUP:

In no event will My Custom Hosting be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, 
    direct, indirect, incidental, special, consequential, or punitive damages arising out of the use
     of or inability to use My Custom Hosting's services or any content thereon. 
    This disclaimer applies, without limitation, to any damages or injury, whether for 
    breach of contract, tort, or otherwise, caused by any failure of performance; error; 
    omission; interruption; deletion; defect; delay in operation or transmission; 
    computer virus; file corruption; communication line failure; network or system outage; 
    or theft, destruction, unauthorized access to, alteration of, or use of any record.`

We are not liable for any loss of data for any reason.

http://web.archive.org/web/20150315005625/http://mycustomhosting.net/tos.php

Also, Phil in the second email is doing his best to satisfy customers that did experience downtime:

Credits will be handled at the conclusion.  Extremely sorry for the inconvenience!
    Phil Robinson

If you don't like this attitude by a provider, move on. But, I highly dought that you will find such so, in the entire LET/LEB or even more expensive ones that offer unmanaged services...

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@JoeMerit said:

It looks like.

SSD Cache issue shoulnd't ever be related to DATA loss. You can rebuild the ssd cache (if flashcade) any time, without data loss. So, definitely, raid 0, it seems.

• rokokrokok Member

Not gonna comment anymore, i paid yearly, not gonna do anything

Im already move on ;)

• xaitmixaitmi Member
    edited May 2015

@MrGeneral said:
    SSD Cache issue shoulnd't ever be related to DATA loss. You can rebuild the ssd cache (if flashcade) any time, without data loss. So, definitely, raid 0, it seems.

In that case I hope he wasn't joking about shared hosting having no dataloss. :(

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • JoeMeritJoeMerit Veteran

from previous offer postings he said the KVMs resided on RAID0 + SSD Cache , so I guess his luck finally ran out on raid0.

• tr1ckytr1cky Member

Oh, the second time data loss occurs at MCH, guess Phil learned nothing the last time it happened.

• MCHPhilMCHPhil Member

Majority had nothing to do with RAID 0. CAVPS4, yes. 2,3 no. I do not use a widely known or used cache system. I do not speak much about it and do not plan to start now.

The way my cache system works, as stated, if they are not brought offline correctly, they are toast.

• not like we are established or anything but if you are running mission critical stuff and need something to fall back on, let me know. location CA, OVH BHS.

that being said, I'm quite sure mycustomhosting will have you back online soon.

Thanked by 1MCHPhil
  • jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited May 2015

When you buy an unmanaged vps or dedi, you have to know what are you buying. That means, you have to search the specs of the node or the vm (cpu, mem type, raid type, storage type, network etc.) and then, decide if it fits for you or not.
    @MCHPhil 's product is RAID0. That means, good performance with (theoretically) a higher possibility of disk failure (well, I've seen some providers with raid10 lose all of their node's data because of failure of the hardware raid card...).
    So, in a vps costs 6$ per month with 3GB Ram, 30 GB SSD cached space and 3TB traffic, you have to chose not to rely exclusively on the best realibility of this vm, exclusively on not-failing-HDDs. That means you should have backups and, if the service is critical, a way to restore it to a second server immediatelly (e.g. a mirror setup with continously rsyncs and mysql replication or similar). If it is even more critical than the uptime of a website, then, you should not buy a 6& per month service to rely on.
    There is e reason that some services cost x20 or x30 than those vps's. It is not so much of performance (I've seen better performance from some LET providers than in an Amazone same specs vm) but it is a matter of realibility and methods to ensure that in any case of a catastrophy, there are several setups that will keep you online immediatelly.

Thanked by 2Traffic coolice
  • TrafficTraffic Member

@jvnadr said:
    When you buy an unmanaged vps or dedi, you have to know what are you buying. That means, you have to search the specs of the node or the vm (cpu, mem type, raid type, storage type, network etc.) and then, decide if it fits for you or not.
    MCH's product is RAID0. That means, good performance with (theoretically) a higher possibility of disk failure (well, I've seen some providers with raid10 lose all of their node's data because of failure of the hardware raid card...).

+1. @MCHPhil provided the service he sold, nothing more and nothing less. And I still think his service is awesome for the price.

• kendidkendid Veteran

Unfortunate... but it's nice to see he's posting and emailing updates! Appreciate upfront providers like that, even though it's crazy trying to get things back online...

• coolicecoolice Member
    edited May 2015

@rokok said:

Just move on

You are NOT right.. there is a major KVM / XEN HVM security bug announced yesterday http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/52536/extremely-serious-virtual-machine-bug-threatens-cloud-providers-everywhere#latest

if your other VM providers already do not do emergency shutdowns or announce that they give you 2-3 days they live you vulnerable for that period...

correct decision is emergency shutdown -r now....

P.S I'll not comment RAID 0 issues but that is stupid....

• J1021J1021 Member

Why were nodes rebooted? This security vulnerability only required a reboot of customer VMs to be patched.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Raid 0 + a write back cache?

That is just irresponsible.

Thanked by 1TheHackBox
  • gestiondbigestiondbi Member, Patron Provider

@kcaj said:
    Why were nodes rebooted? This security vulnerability only required a reboot of customer VMs to be patched.

You are right, but unfortunately, we can't always trust customers to follow the reboot email. So most of us take the opportunity to reboot the host also.

This discussion has been closed.